The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves H-EQ Equalizer Plugins
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
The manual says that disabling the analyzer reduces CPU load but I did not see that behavior on the Pro Tools CPU meter.
same here...

its strange, because normaly waves plugins are really low in CPU load.

but it is a really nice EQ.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

I made a few (not enough) tests by comparing the H-EQ to the waves classic models by selecting the same frequencies and by changing the same amount. (Only altering Q).

I have to say that I prefer the sound of the classic models. (so far). Of course this test is somewhat stupid because a. the selected frequencies on the classic models sometimes differ a bit from the label b. the H-EQ is meant to be tweaked and go beyond the somewhat limited classic models.

But then again, if I want to dip a certain frequency and really like the sound of the classic model I would take that over the H-EQ because I got there faster and with way less cpu usage. Just a thought...
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Try the front cover of the angeltone manual for joyful bliss
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I was wondering when another developer was going to copy the basic premise of the Hydratone EQ. I hope at some point the guys at Tritone revive it, and make a new and improved version. It was a truly revolutionary plugin. I also wonder if the "asymmetrical bell" filter in the H-EQ is anywhere near as good as Lake's groundbreaking "Mesa Filter". Looks like a good product, too bad I'll never own one. Just can't deal with the Waves business model.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Angel View Post
high CPU use, like PSP McQ...
Why is CPU usage still such a big thing? Are people out there still using Pentium 233s and the original Power PCs? I use tons of McQs, convolution plugins, etc, and still manage to stay under 40% with 75 plus tracks in a mix............
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's good how Waves has turned into an affordable company with offerings under $99.
This New EQ is really amazing value.

Now, do i need another eq though?

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

This plugin smokes.... I'm loving it.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Got it! Thanks WUP

What I love about it, which nobody here mentioned yet, is the control over THD.
You can control the amount of THD from 0 to 1000 percent (1000!!!). Besides changing the color dramatically (or subtly, depending on how much THD you dial in), you also get a different type of distortion for each analog mode.

This makes for a super versatile and really sweet and warm sounding EQ (some modes are harsh, some warm).

It can actually be used as a good sounding analog distortion tool in its own, with several different flavors.

You can also control the amount of 'analog noise', which means you can opt out of the noise and only get the THD, which is great for a project with lots of EQs where you want the THD without the buildup of noise over many tracks.
If I'm not mistaken (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am ), this is the first time Waves lets you get rid of the noise and keep the thd (unlike previous ones, where you could turn 'analog' on/off, which means you lost both).

For $99 this is a steal. Finally, after a long line of marketing gimmicks, Waves delivered a truly innovative, versatile and great sounding EQ.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

What I miss, looking at it without testing it, is a "blend" wheel. The other Waves Hybrid Series plugins have it, and it it always nice to be able to dial in a sprinkle of unprocessed sound. Parallel EQ's are not very common in the plugin world. Perhaps for some technical reason?
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Sounds really good here.
Might become my go-to EQ.
Sweet high end.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbler View Post
Sounds really good here.
Might become my go-to EQ.
Sweet high end.
Hoping the same thing
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Really nice for the MID/SIDE question...
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
Please note: The 560 sucks way more power than the other API EQS:

API 550B

32 instances on 16 tracks: 3% @ 2,1 Ghz

vs.

Waves API 560
32 Instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 34% Asio Consumption @ 3,8 Ghz
i've never even suspected that, which explains a lot since I happen to use
one or two 560 only as opposed to the 550s which are pretty much everywhere
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post
It's good how Waves has turned into an affordable company with offerings under $99.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
It's a very smart move on their part, Waves is reliable, well known,
good sounding and the low price tag make the new plugins tempting..
In the end, we like new toys regardless if we need them or not.
That's how they got me with MPX at least lol
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Well I can't answer that but I think it's safe to say that you should check that EQ out. I played around with it for some hours and came to the conclusion that this is an amazing versatile EQ. The combination of different curve styles result in quite unique curves and in combination with the analog section with its different vintage models and fine THD control you can achieve coloration with like no other EQ I know. So, I wasn't to excited about another EQ but I think this one is amazing.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

yep the m/s feature is a gift .....specially for mastering but a lot with new crazy synth that have crazy sounds layered fluctuate frquency in time for left to right ....this will help stabilise and get symetrical eq balance to let them sit well in a mix , great ....

Do you guyz know if it's possible to clean an ilok full of demos ? (mostly waves)
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Do you guyz know if it's possible to clean an ilok full of demos ? (mostly waves)
I never tried, but send them a note and ask them to have iLok remove them...
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
The lag on moving the physical frequency points drives me crazy...
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac
this looks nice!

what's the DSP usage on TDM chips, anyone know?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
looks cool... but with the other two H-series plugins included in other bundles (I have platinum for example), why not this one too??
Great price and crazy features.. I feel like it would make me mix with my eyes though.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
Pardon my ignorance, but is there a way to bypass the preset curves and adjust the Q the way you want it?
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Ok I bit and bought. Now I have run into all kinds of installation garbage. Quick question- do I get WUP support now that I have bought a new plugin? My old WUP has expired:

- when I bought the new plug- I noticed that waves 8 was available (had v7 on my computer). Now old projects with waves v7 plugs wont load!!!
- my ilok is not recognized on the ilok site. I have reinstalled all drivers, etc to no avail!

This is way too much bother for one plug! Any thoughts on the above?
Old 8th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Ok I bit and bought. Now I have run into all kinds of installation garbage. Quick question- do I get WUP support now that I have bought a new plugin? My old WUP has expired:

- when I bought the new plug- I noticed that waves 8 was available (had v7 on my computer). Now old projects with waves v7 plugs wont load!!!
- my ilok is not recognized on the ilok site. I have reinstalled all drivers, etc to no avail!

Call Waves, and within 5 min on speaking with them, you will have it cleared up.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Would they speak to me with no WUP?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

eeekkk!!! I hope you didn't click "yes" on the installer when it asks if you want to upgrade your current v7 to the new version.

There's a remove feature on the installer. Did you try that?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Would they speak to me with no WUP?
Technically, you have wup on that plug so they should speak to you.
Old 8th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrafunk View Post
eeekkk!!! I hope you didn't click "yes" on the installer when it asks if you want to upgrade your current v7 to the new version.

There is where the mistake is, you don't want to upgrade your current V7. You just uninstall and reinstall V 7 and you should be ok. 7 and 8 work fine together. Yes Waves will talk to you, especially if you just purchased the new EQ......which I refuse to try as I know I will love it. I have enough EQ plug ins to make great sounding recordings, so I don't want to tempt myself. Price is very tempting though.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadrafunk View Post

I did. Was that bad?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I did. Was that bad?
Ouch but an easy fix. Just do what Glenn just said and you'll be fine.

I did the same thing when I first got the SSL bundle.
Old 8th September 2011
Here for the gear

Would it be a good choice for mastering?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search