The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves H-EQ Equalizer Plugins
Old 7th September 2011
  #31
Gear Addict
 
rydan's Avatar
 

Well, what can I say. It's not orange like the rest of the H-plugins. Can't be any good then. Every Waldorf user knows that orange, especially nextel orange, sounds way better than other colors. Sorry, I'll pass.
Old 7th September 2011
  #32
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
They will surelly add something in version 9 bundles. Who knows what it will be... I am pretty sure even them havent decided yet. Speaking for myself I will wait and I am sure I will get it sometime. If you want it now, yeah go ahead and buy it
I don't think you'll be seeing any of their newer plugins like the MPX or this included in any existing bundles as a freebie.
Old 7th September 2011
  #33
dio
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I don't think you'll be seeing any of their newer plugins like the MPX or this included in any existing bundles as a freebie.
Wanna bet (v9 or v10 and included in at least in one of current bundles other than Mercury)? (thats why I am saying buy it now if you needed) BTW I am trying to reach you about a Horizon quote, hope you get back to me soon...
Old 7th September 2011
  #34
Lives for gear
 

They get overlooked because they don't have "classic remake" attached to them but the Waves H Series stuff is excellent. I prefer the H Comp more often than the CLA comps or Ren stuff.
Old 7th September 2011
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkchuma View Post
My question is what is each emulation specifically.
I was wondering the same thing. My guess would be:

US Vintage: Pultec
UK Vintage 1: Neve 1073
UK Vintage 2: Neve 1081
US Modern: API
UK Modern: SSL

The EQ section reminded me of the URS Strip Pro (released in July 2007) which has the same emulations. In a quick Neve 1081 comparison, the H-EQ however sounded much nicer when boosted 15 dB with a high shelf.
Old 7th September 2011
  #36
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
Ok, now they stole from Brainworks an idea of implementing MS algorhythme in stereo EQ.
Waves introduced Q10 in what, 1991? So you could say that Brainworx 'stole' the idea of an EQ plugin from Waves in the first place..
Old 7th September 2011
  #37
Lives for gear
 
sftd's Avatar
 

Man, they are hitting things out of the ballpark with the Hybrid series!

H-delay and H-comp are already awesome, and now an EQ to round it out!

Give me a verb and its a wrap!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 7th September 2011
  #38
Lives for gear
 
weezul's Avatar
man, been getting knee deep with H-Delay in my mixes recently , and now this. Man, sign me the hell up. I've wanted an EQ with a spectrum analyser for ages, and was not sure what to get. This is just the ticket for me. I use q10 for nearly all EQ and its boosts are never that great. Hopefully this will be better and the price to features ratio is really good.
Old 7th September 2011
  #39
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Seems that this it on steroids !

SONAR: Get Started - ProChannel - YouTube!

+1 on the keyboard + the m/s is a big plus !!!

the XEQ warrior

+ prices now are serious ....i think they nailed the good bizness/marketing method ......time to resist to not email Tony ....
Old 7th September 2011
  #40
Lives for gear
 
jimmyboy7's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
man, been getting knee deep with H-Delay in my mixes recently , and now this. Man, sign me the hell up. I've wanted an EQ with a spectrum analyser for ages, and was not sure what to get. This is just the ticket for me. I use q10 for nearly all EQ and its boosts are never that great. Hopefully this will be better and the price to features ratio is really good.
Good point! I can't wait to pick this up!!!
Old 7th September 2011
  #41
Gear Addict
 

This is imo a really good EQ. It's a powerful workhorse with many colors and options. Besides vintage curves it has a new one by Waves. You can also add harmonic content and define very pricesely how much. It sound good so far. Indepently from it you can add the infamous Waves noise and hum, even different types.

But I have to say that the base sound of the PSP Neon Mix (with FAT mode OFF) is better, more creamy and analog if you want to call it like that (although it is actually meant as neutral EQ, but it's maybe what Bob Katz meant, when he talked about the Linear Phase Version of it).

I wonder if it renders Waves classic models obsolete to some degree, but I have to check that out later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Waves introduced Q10 in what, 1991? So you could say that Brainworx 'stole' the idea of an EQ plugin from Waves in the first place..
More like 1996 afaik.
Old 7th September 2011
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
cpu load ?

is it linear or is there a linear mode ? glitch free in real time automation ?
Old 7th September 2011
  #43
Plugin Alliance / Brainworx
 
brainrox's Avatar
from BX

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Waves introduced Q10 in what, 1991? So you could say that Brainworx 'stole' the idea of an EQ plugin from Waves in the first place..
No, we stole it from George Massenburg, like everybody else. ;-)

Honestly, BX has not invented M/S... but we have surely taken M/S to a completely different level than just adding a matrix to an EQ.

That´s why I am proud to say that addig an M/S switch doesn´t make this or any other EQ an "M/S tool". M/S is about sooooo much more than just splitting the channels and applying a filter curve...

Dirk / BX.
Old 7th September 2011
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
does the 100$ vaucher is received even when buying the plugin from another shop than waves ?
Old 7th September 2011
  #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
does the 100$ vaucher is received even when buying the plugin from another shop than waves ?
Yes, but as usual the voucher is not so helpful due to its limitations.
Old 7th September 2011
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Dusty Angel's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
cpu load ?

is it linear or is there a linear mode ? glitch free in real time automation ?
high CPU use, like PSP McQ...
Old 8th September 2011
  #47
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
cpu load ?
Some examples:

Ren EQ6 (All Bands activated)
64 instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 2% Asio Consumption @ 2,1 Ghz

VEQ4
32 Instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 2% Asio Consumption @ 2,1 Ghz

Fabfilter Pro-Q 10 Bands activated (no latency mode)
32 Instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 9% Asio Consumption @ 2,1 Ghz

Waves H-EQ
32 Instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 25% Asio Consumption @ 3,8 Ghz
16 Instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 20% Asio Consumption @ 2,1 Ghz

Waves API 560
32 Instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 34% Asio Consumption @ 3,8 Ghz



So... it's quite power hungry. It could become one of my top 3 EQs tho.
Old 8th September 2011
  #48
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
Some examples:

Ren EQ6 (All Bands activated)
64 instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 2% Asio Consumption @ 2,1 Ghz

VEQ4
32 Instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 2% Asio Consumption @ 2,1 Ghz

Fabfilter Pro-Q 10 Bands activated (no latency mode)
32 Instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 9% Asio Consumption @ 2,1 Ghz

Waves H-EQ
32 Instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 25% Asio Consumption @ 3,8 Ghz
16 Instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 20% Asio Consumption @ 2,1 Ghz

Waves API 560
32 Instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 34% Asio Consumption @ 3,8 Ghz



So... it's quite power hungry. It could become one of my top 3 EQs tho.
560 requires more CPU than this?? Jeez, I don't even count how many API's eq I open in a project, probably 7 on 10 eqs are API..
If so, this is definitely not so bad
Old 8th September 2011
  #49
Gear Addict
 
dwaynedelario's Avatar
 

Turning off the frequency analyzer seems to bump the CPU down a bit, as does closing the plugin window of course. But on my ProTools HD system, with a 512 buffer and 7 out of 8 cores enabled at 99%, one stereo instance hits at 5% on the CPU RTAS meter. And my 8-core is an early 2008, which must be considered a dinosaur by now. Not bad at all!
Old 8th September 2011
  #50
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
Some examples:

Ren EQ6 (All Bands activated)
64 instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 2% Asio Consumption @ 2,1 Ghz

VEQ4
32 Instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 2% Asio Consumption @ 2,1 Ghz

Fabfilter Pro-Q 10 Bands activated (no latency mode)
32 Instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 9% Asio Consumption @ 2,1 Ghz

Waves H-EQ
32 Instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 25% Asio Consumption @ 3,8 Ghz
16 Instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 20% Asio Consumption @ 2,1 Ghz

Waves API 560
32 Instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 34% Asio Consumption @ 3,8 Ghz



So... it's quite power hungry. It could become one of my top 3 EQs tho.
System ?
Old 8th September 2011
  #51
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
Yes, but as usual the voucher is not so helpful due to its limitations.
? witch are ?
Old 8th September 2011
  #52
Gear Nut
Waves H-EQ

Looks fantastic

I hope a verb in this series is underway too
Old 8th September 2011
  #53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
? witch are ?


"Please Note:
  • This Waves Voucher is valid until September 21, 2011.
  • This Voucher, alone or in combination with other Waves Vouchers, may be redeemed for up to 50% toward the MSRP of any bundle or upgrade, or up to 25% toward the MSRP of any plugin, after all applicable discounts.
  • This Voucher is non-transferable."
___

MSRP is higher than actual retail.
Old 8th September 2011
  #54
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
thks , i was just reading it at waves website ...not great as i wanted to keep the vauchers until the next plugin drop ...
Old 8th September 2011
  #55
Lives for gear
 
Dusty Angel's Avatar
 

Ren EQ6
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 3%

Equality Digital Mode
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 3%

Equality Minimal/Analog/Linear Phase Mode
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 47%

Waves SSL4000
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 6%

Digi III 7 Band
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 7%

Softube Trident
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 17%

SSL Duende Channelstrip
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 20%

PSP McQ
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 27%

Waves H-EQ
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 27%
dosen´t matter wich eq mode or analyser on/off



RTAS

Buffer 512

Pro Tools HD3 Accel 9.0.5.

Mac Pro 8 core (2010)
Old 8th September 2011
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
ok so for the cpu load , i will (if i take it) keep it for buses or chirigical eq ...

what about sound ? except that versatility that we all agrre with , how does it sound ?
is it really some new on the table sound wise ?
Old 8th September 2011
  #57
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Angel View Post
Ren EQ6
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 3%

Equality Digital Mode
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 3%

Equality Minimal/Analog/Linear Phase Mode
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 47%

Waves SSL4000
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 6%

Digi III 7 Band
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 7%

Softube Trident
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 17%

SSL Duende Channelstrip
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 20%

PSP McQ
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 27%

Waves H-EQ
48 instances on 48 Stereo Tracks: 27%
dosen´t matter wich eq mode or analyser on/off



RTAS

Buffer 512

Pro Tools HD3 Accel 9.0.5.

Mac Pro 8 core (2010)
thks ... as i own and use the duende and trident this is speaking to me L....not that bad at all in fact thks for sharing dude
Old 8th September 2011
  #58
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
560 requires more CPU than this?? Jeez, I don't even count how many API's eq I open in a project, probably 7 on 10 eqs are API..
If so, this is definitely not so bad
Please note: The 560 sucks way more power than the other API EQS:

API 550B

32 instances on 16 tracks: 3% @ 2,1 Ghz

vs.

Waves API 560
32 Instances on 16 Stereo Tracks: 34% Asio Consumption @ 3,8 Ghz
Old 8th September 2011
  #59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Angel View Post
high CPU use, like PSP McQ...
Yes it is very high. FGx is the only plugin I own that is higher. The manual says that disabling the analyzer reduces CPU load but I did not see that behavior on the Pro Tools CPU meter.

I loaded an H-EQ onto every channel of my current project- 85 instances (purists shutup) and the CPU meter was hovering around 90% (there are other plugs in the session too, damn I just notice my master clipped after slapping 4 on there).

My system is an i7 965 with 12 gigs of RAM. Way more than I'd probably ever use but I wanted to know what I can get away with.

I've only scratched the surface auditioning the different curves but what I've heard already sounds fantastic. M/S is a whole other can of worms that I've barely dabbled with- I can see I'm going to have lots of fun with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Waves H-EQ-h-eqtestrun.jpg  
Old 8th September 2011
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Dusty Angel's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
thks ... as i own and use the duende and trident this is speaking to me L....not that bad at all in fact thks for sharing dude
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump