The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new VU meter and trim plugin: Klanghelm VUMT (Win & Mac 32 & 64 Bit plus standalone)
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Software new VU meter and trim plugin: Klanghelm VUMT (Win & Mac 32 & 64 Bit plus standalone)

Hi,
today Klanghelm has released its first plugin (and standalone app): VUMT.

www.klanghelm.com

Klanghelm is me, Tony Frenzel from Berlin, Germany
and
VUMT is a recreation of a VU meter and has an additional trim function to make your gain staging life easier.

why is VUMT?
Simply because I needed a decent 64 bit VU meter with trim function to control how much signal is fed into nebula (I almost exclusively use nebula while mixing) or other level sensitive plugins. Since using nebula I've learned how important proper gain staging is. It's already been written so much about that topic. So I leave it at that and move on to introduce you to the plugins.

What you get:

Painstakingly modeled behaviour and recreation of the general ballistics of classic VU meters.
300 ms attack and release times to meet common specs of a standard VU meter
Trim your channel volume +/- 20 dB.
VU reference level switchable
Clip-LED
Comes in four flavors (skins) to be pleasant to look at for (almost) everybody.

TWO PLUGINS INCLUDED
VUMT SOLO:
Single VU meter
Switchable additional needle to watch left and right channel level in one single display
VUMT DUO:
Two VU meter displays to show either left/right of mid/side level information
if switched to MS operation the volume trim knobs control the volume of the mid channel and side channel.
Additional standalone apps (VUMT SOLO & DUO) included (MAC & WIN, 32 & 64 Bit).

VUMT is not free but it's reasonably priced. You'll get both VUMT SOLO & DUO for 5 Euro.

If you have questions, please ask.

Tony
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Since PSP Vintage Meter is somewhat dead, and your creation is crossplatform as well, is there maybe a chance in the future to integrate a customisation mode (changing the ballistics, the 0VU reference level, etc) on the backpanel or something?

I ask because sometimes I used PSP's VU for K-System metering as well, on top of using it as quasi PPM if the project needed it.

Else, definitely looking good. Unfortunately no demo and refunds, but definitely reasonable priced and lifetime updates. Will keep an eye on it.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

*Edit: NVM. One day I'll learn to use my eyes...
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Could you post a video of how the Vu reacts to musical content? I'd be really interested in buying if I like the response!

Thanx.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

A lot of good meters out these days, this one looks nice and the price is good.
Order placed.
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

curiousity clicked the paypal button ...
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Got it!
Trying it now with iTunes playing through Audio Hijack Pro (not exactly a critical test ).
The M/S feature is nice, I can see that this could be used for more than just metering.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingataff View Post
A lot of good meters out these days, this one looks nice and the price is good.
Order placed.
Great thing about this one is that it's meter+trim in one. And the looks are HOT!
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amun Ra View Post
Could you post a video of how the Vu reacts to musical content? I'd be really interested in buying if I like the response!

Thanx.
Yeah, a video is good idea. I'll do my best. I'll try my best to get it done this week and keep you posted.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeast View Post
Great thing about this one is that it's meter+trim in one. And the looks are HOT!
Yeah, I'm digging the wood effect GUI at the mo.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I could upload a quicktime screen rec if you want?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Fox View Post
is there maybe a chance in the future to integrate a customisation mode (changing the ballistics, the 0VU reference level, etc) on the backpanel or something?
For now there are only 3 reference level presets (the most common ones, i think). And I want to keep it like that for ease of use' sake BUT an additional stepless control of the reference level is indeed something I plan to implement in the near future.

Regarding the change of the ballistics:
the VU meter is based on quite a complex model and has a lot a variables. it's heavily based on the physics of such a device. there's far more to the ballistics than attack and release times. during development I got quite obsessed with the vu meter idea. that's why I tried for instance to recreate the sensitivity, the acceleration and deceleration of the needle. finetuning was quite a cumbersome task. what I'm trying to say is, it's a fragile system and I do have to get my head around it first to provide you with easy and logic controls that are working predictable. I can tell you that I'll sure be considering such an advanced mode or something like that, but it takes some time.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I'll definitely look forward to a reference level shift. This would definitely help a lot in various sitations.

I understand your troubles with the meter ballistics. Though the fallback is not as important to me. The "raise" or "response" (integration) time however is.

Maybe do not create a freely shiftable one, but several presets for the time being: 5ms (AES EBU), 10ms, 50ms, 300ms (standard VU) and 600ms (K-System). Maybe take a look at the competition (zplane, another great Berlin firm) to see what I mean, then take it to the next level a bit later.

Else, 5 Euro are more than fair - though I'm still looking for an affordable, acourate and highly customizable VU. zplane is nice and all, but I can't go higher than 300ms.

If I have some time left at my studio this week, I'll give your creation a spin. It's definitely looking interesting, and it seems to be skinable as well.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

very good
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Can you explain how the stand-alone version works? Does the audio need another app or will it connect directly w/ iTunes or QT Player?

thanks
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

bought it

Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Great!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

paid for this about 45 mins ago. how long does it normally take to get the link?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Up to 24 hours... And since the dev is in Europe...

Last edited by ez135; 5th September 2011 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ez135 View Post
Up to 24 hours... And since the dev is in Europe...
ahh grand. im europe too btw
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nice initiative ....sometime we struggle to get simple things .....i'm too thinking about making custom made plugin for my need ...but time is what i miss ....

+1 on a video.....

to see size , reaction ...ect is there a way to keep it always on top ?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
ahh grand. im europe too btw
Oops...got read those signatures before posting...
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

bought it. now waiting on the link
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Good morning, guys. Thanks for all the kind words. Within the next 3 hours you should all get your download/login details. I just woke up. But after taking my son to the kindergarden I'll be taking care of you. Thanks for your patience. Tony
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Tony, Good morning from LA! That's a great reason to wait on this end and do appreciate you sharing that experience!

all the best,
kjb

Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

I have a feeling these plugs are awesome
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonhelm View Post
Yeah, a video is good idea. I'll do my best. I'll try my best to get it done this week and keep you posted.
Great. Thank you!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

just woke up to find my link waiting for me in my inbox
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Tony
Great job on the meters! I've been missing the analog meters I had at
another studio, but not quite enough to spend $400 on a pair.
This is a much better deal and the ballistics are great.
I sent you an email but thought I'd mention it here as well....
in Logic I'm not able to type in a negative gain amount. I hope this is possible.

I also wish you would add a numerical peak (0db max) readout with hold.
This would let me make sure I haven't missed some stray transient in the track somewhere.

I also wish you could link the gains in the Duo stereo meter. Maybe
you already can but I can't find it.

I highly recommend this and have already started spreading the word!!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post

I also wish you could link the gains in the Duo stereo meter. Maybe
you already can but I can't find it.
+1 for this
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search