The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new VU meter and trim plugin: Klanghelm VUMT (Win & Mac 32 & 64 Bit plus standalone)
Old 29th May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Sorry... I don't use Logic. Just happened to see that in the vid and thought I'd mention it, since you're wanting to use K-Metering. I really have no idea what it does.
No, I don't want to use K-Metering. I was just setting my gainstages to -12dBFS to run my outboard automatically a little hotter
Old 3rd July 2012
Gear Addict

Hi everyone.

Just got info from PSPaudioware. They will release new version of their PSP VU2 meter ! I wonder will it be as good and free as present 1.0 version
Old 19th April 2013
RTR
Lives for gear

Old thread I know but just wanted to say I am joining the club. This meter looks great so I just bought it. Looking forward to using it. i mainly bumped this so people like me looking for a good meter may see this, I had to weigh through tons of google crap to find this!
Old 20th April 2013
Gear Addict

Yup!
Old 20th April 2013
Lives for gear

I use this all the time in conjunction with sonalksis freeg plugin. Freeg is used to capture the highest peak values whereas I use klanghelm as my main reference meter for the track.
Old 23rd May 2013
OTA
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
Old thread I know but just wanted to say I am joining the club. This meter looks great so I just bought it. Looking forward to using it. i mainly bumped this so people like me looking for a good meter may see this, I had to weigh through tons of google crap to find this!
Amen... Bought!
Old 28th August 2013
Gear Head

Just bought it because of too many positive reviews.

So this deserves a BUMP!
Old 26th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACIM View Post
Just bought it because of too many positive reviews.

So this deserves a BUMP!
Definitely yes heh
Old 29th October 2013
This is the metering plugin I was searching for! It looks easy at first sight but it has so much 'hidden' features. I like it already. heh
Old 26th February 2014
Hi,

Will this plugin allow me to draw gain automation using dB values not Midi CC?

Here's my problem: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/cubas...utomation.html

Thanks,

Gaz
Old 26th February 2014
Hi,

Thanks,

Gaz
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz28346 View Post
Hi,

Works fine in Logic. I couldn't say about Cubase. Perhaps someone else could chime in.
Old 28th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz28346 View Post
Hi,

Thanks,

Gaz
I don't think so. It's just a meter and not designed to affect the sound directly at all
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvanda View Post
I don't think so. It's just a meter and not designed to affect the sound directly at all
It has a gain control.
Old 3rd March 2014
Thanks guys,

Found out that you can draw gain automation on the WAV form similar to what I've seen on Pro-Tools tutorials. It doesn't show dB values and you can't use the curved line tool, but it's near enough.

Here's a pic:

Steinberg should allow the line tool for this job so you can get curves easily, and also remove the need for 4 hitpoints for a simple increase/decrease.

Gaz
Old 6th August 2014
I completely blew off this plugin when I first saw it, but the past 6 months, I've been more conscious of the -18 db tracking (-12 if you follow Masseys meter). I've stopped trying to slam my tracks to the top of the peak meter and started tracking more conservatively. Mostly to allow a bunch of room for random peaks or for when the vocalist gets extra enthusiastic, but also to keep from pushing the analog converters to hard, which is something I never really thought about in the past.

I was about to sell my Klanghelm DC8C the other day because I'm trying to go all pt11, and Klanghelm was one of the last ones on my list that still hadnt gone over. Then I saw that they had updated their whole line to AAX! I was ecstatic, to know this would be a company that would continue on and I could still use. I got my AAX copies the freebies and DC8C, and purchased the meters. These are awesome. You don't realize how tweak-able they really are just from the image of the GUI. And they are super accurate. I ran a signal generator through it to test it.. Very accurate and honest. I'll be reaching for this thing when I set pre amp levels.. Making sure the needle hovers around 0 vu (-18 on peak).
Old 6th August 2014
Double post, apologies.
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
Making sure the needle hovers around 0 vu (-18 on peak).
Little OT here: I do that gainstaging at -18 since a long time now, but still can wrap my head around this question: I do -18 measuring peaks. With basses I read then almost 0 VU. With e.g. hihats VU-meter doesn't almost move.

Do you then boost the hihats until you read 0VU? Or do you still go for the peak?
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

You can't rely on the VU reading alone for short percussive sources such as a hi-hat. You'll likely be clipping quite heavily by the time you hit [email protected], so keep an eye on your peak levels too (-18dBFS being the average target level, not peak). Just leave a comfortable amount of headroom for any stray peaks (I aim for around -9dBFS for example.)

So in short, go for a level of around [email protected] or a peak level of roughly -10dBFS, whichever you hit first. A hi-hat might be at something like -10VU at this point.
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
Little OT here: I do that gainstaging at -18 since a long time now, but still can wrap my head around this question: I do -18 measuring peaks. With basses I read then almost 0 VU. With e.g. hihats VU-meter doesn't almost move.

Do you then boost the hihats until you read 0VU? Or do you still go for the peak?
VU meters are much slower than peak meters, klanghelms is set to 300 ms attack, so punchy percussion stuff won't trigger the VU much, where long sustained bass would.

For short percussive stuff, I would probably use the peak meter more than the VU. I'd be looking to see the signal peak at -18 on the peak meter, everything else I'd be going for 0 on VU.
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Jimmy View Post
You can't rely on the VU reading alone for short percussive sources such as a hi-hat. You'll likely be clipping quite heavily by the time you hit [email protected], so keep an eye on your peak levels too (-18dBFS being the average target level, not peak). Just leave a comfortable amount of headroom for any stray peaks (I aim for around -9dBFS for example.)

So in short, go for a level of around [email protected] or a peak level of roughly -10dBFS, whichever you hit first. A hi-hat might be at something like -10VU at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
VU meters are much slower than peak meters, klanghelms is set to 300 ms attack, so punchy percussion stuff won't trigger the VU much, where long sustained bass would.

For short percussive stuff, I would probably use the peak meter more than the VU. I'd be looking to see the signal peak at -18 on the peak meter, everything else I'd be going for 0 on VU.

Just what I thought too. Thanks! Now let's go back to topic heh
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Gain staging is hardly off topic in this instance if you ask me!
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

Tony, Still really wishing the VU meter has a phase reverse button. Since this is the first plug on every channel,
it would be really handy to have.

Also wish I could "lock" the skin. It keeps changing whenever I click on the lower left to get the numerical readout.
Old 9th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Tony, Still really wishing the VU meter has a phase reverse button. Since this is the first plug on every channel,
it would be really handy to have.

Also wish I could "lock" the skin. It keeps changing whenever I click on the lower left to get the numerical readout.
+1. Good points.
Old 17th March 2016
Best VU meters to put into a DAW.
Old 17th March 2016
Any news on update?
Old 18th March 2016
Lives for gear

Was there something about "resizing" in the works for the next update?
Old 18th March 2016
Yes, that will be great.
Old 18th March 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Hawk View Post
Was there something about "resizing" in the works for the next update?
Yes, he mentioned that to me too...
Old 19th March 2016
I like VU meters and after seeing how it works I pulled the trigger
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search