The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new VU meter and trim plugin: Klanghelm VUMT (Win & Mac 32 & 64 Bit plus standalone)
Old 14th October 2011
Gear Addict

Has anybody experienced "weird" behavior of audio passing through Vumt? Sometimes audio goes mono into 1 channel
Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltones View Post
First time purchasing a metering plugin of this type and I have to admit I am kind of confused about the process. Let me explain. I set the plugin at -20, adjusted the trim level also at -20 and when I play from my DAW a 0dBfs test tone that I made for my gain-staging use, the plugin does indeed read 0. Good, no issue there as far as playback is concerned. Where I'm confused is about tracking. Do you guys track with this plugin on, and if yes, do you leave it with the trim at -20, then track as close to 0dBfs as possible on your DAW meter, or you bypass the plugin and track as you would normally do and go by the DAW meter reading -20 or so instead?
The reason from my understanding is that recording at a higher level takes advantage of all 24 bits of resolution. Unfortunately, the higher the level the less headroom and reducing the level on the fader does reduce the overall voltage, which if you have any outboard gear you would want to get to 1.23 volts AKA unity gain. Trim plug in's reduce the gain but not the resolution so you get the best of both worlds. BTW, getting to unity gain if your levels are about 0 in your DAW is to trim about -18db
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear

Not exactly....or at least according to my understanding of it...

You want to record the source at 0VU (not 0dbfs!) so that the source has then optimal current running through the converters when the signal is being converted. Then you try to gain stage the level along the plugin chain do that it hits each plugin at the plugins nominal level.
This should end up with the fader at unity with a vu meter reading at about 0VU.

Reducing a signal recorded with a saturated converter can't get rid of the saturated sound.
Old 16th October 2011
Gear Addict

By the way, it would be nice to save your favorite skin in preferences... Kind of boring to change the skin everytime you open the VU, isn't it?
Old 17th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Hi,
today I've released the first major update for VUMT.

Lots of new features.

New PPM mode with adjustable rise / fallback and reference level.

VU meter imparts now rise/fall controls and a new unique overshoot parameter. With this parameter set you should be able to recreate your favorite analog VU meter in the digital realm.
Don't be afraid of using the overshoot knob. VUMT is internally optimised, that it still shows correct and reliable values even if you put the overshoot to extreme values.

In the DUO version you now have a stereo link button.

A switchable hold needle displays the current max VU level.
For information overkill I've also implemented a numerical readout which shows the peak level and the vu level. You can turn that off if it's too irritating.

The peak/clip LED is now fully customisable.
It lights up yellow/orange when exceeding a user defined level (your headroom!)
the led light up red ( and bigger for dramatic effect) when exceeding a user defined CLIP level (-1 to 0 db it 0.01 dB steps). You can even set a holdtime for the red LED state.

And finally you're able to freely set your VU reference level. You can drag the value in the lower right corner of the front panel like a knob or use your mousewheel to adjust the reference level. To type in values use right click.

I've tried to implement as many (useful) feature requests as possible, because I want this to be a VU meter that everybody likes. Since there's a lot of new functionality I've decided to name the update 1.5.7 (pi/2). To compensate for that I had to raise to price a bit to 6.28 Euros (pi*2, it that geeky enough for ya?) ;-) Hope that's still reasonable, though.

The update is free of course for all existing VUMT users. Simply log in to the user area at klanghelm.com

The default state of VUMT didn't change noticeably. So if you're already used the the way VUMT 1.0 reacts you will feel familiar with the new version. Since I've changed the needle animation it's just even more accurate and smoother.

Due to internal optimisations you will notice a decreased filesize to about 1/3 of the of size. Can't hurt, eh?

Thanks for reading and tell me your findings

Tony
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

thanks, Tony!

love the improvments
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, will check it out... does it happen to have a "true VU" setting that reflects the actual specification:

VU: A VU meter is designed to have a relatively slow response. It is driven from a full-wave averaging circuit defined to reach 99% full-scale deflection in 300ms and overshoot not less than 1% and not more than 1.5%. Since a VU meter is optimised for perceived loudness it is not a good indicator of peak (transient) performance. Nominal sensitivity for 0VU is 1.228V RMS, and the impedance is 3.9k.

This is a rough description... nice to have adjustability but can it be switched to this spec too?
Old 17th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Someone else mentioned, in the MAC AU version it is not possible to write in the number when right clicking. Not a big deal. Double click reference level always reset to -18 dBFS.
I guess I found a cosmetic difference between VUMTDuo and Solo. In Solo the reference level is written in red and in Duo it is written in black.
One other thing I found is that if you insert a VUMTDuo on a mono channel it breakes the the source sound and outputs it only to the left channel. Any reason for this?
The VU meter´s fequency response should not deviate from the 1 kHz level more than 0.2 dB from 35 Hz to 10 kHz and by 0.5 dB from 25 Hz to 16 kHz. Does this apply, or is it perfect?

Have to say thank you a lot for this "giveaway", you have made the best VU-Meter, and it was exactly what I have been looking for in a very long time. Thank you thank you!!!
Old 17th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
Yes, will check it out... does it happen to have a "true VU" setting that reflects the actual specification:

VU: A VU meter is designed to have a relatively slow response. It is driven from a full-wave averaging circuit defined to reach 99% full-scale deflection in 300ms and overshoot not less than 1% and not more than 1.5%. Since a VU meter is optimised for perceived loudness it is not a good indicator of peak (transient) performance. Nominal sensitivity for 0VU is 1.228V RMS, and the impedance is 3.9k.

This is a rough description... nice to have adjustability but can it be switched to this spec too?
What do you mean? If I understand you right you can already do this with VUMT. I´ll give a real world example.

I have a RME FireFace 800 and I want to set up VUMT for metering following the specs of the FF800. In the FF800 Manual I see that if I set my input or output to reference "Hi Gain" then 0 dBFS is +19 dBu. From this number I always have to substract the number 4 (nominal level). 19-4=15, so -15 dBFS is the number I will set as reference in VUMT.
If I set my FF800 input or output to reference +4 dBu, I find in the manual that 0 dBFS is +13 dBu. So if I set my FF800 to this setting I will set VUMT reference to -9 dBFS (13-4=9).
This number you set in VUMT is actually the headroom in your AD/DA-converter.

One more example. The specification of M-Audio ProFire 610 says that balanced +4 dBu = 0 dBFS approx +16 dBu. This means the ProFire 610 has a headroom of 12 dB (16-4 nominal level), and then you put -12 in VUMT as reference. Just always remember to substract the number 4 from the specification whatever soundcard you use.

Anyway, all this is probably only important for you if you communicating with some external hardware e.g a mixing desk, compressor, tapemachine etc.

I guess VUMT in the first place startet out because of the bad metering i the Acustica-Audio Nebula 3 plugin and for a lot of presets there from Alex B. which has reference level -18 dBFS (average) and max peak around -6 dBFS. A lot of the Waves plugins seems also to stay around average -18 dBFS to emulate the hardware.

As you can see, if I e.g set my FF800 reference to +4dBu I only have 9 dB headroom. So I will never use a VU with this as a reference when recording. Specially not drums and percussion with crazy uncontrollable peaks depending on which instrument, room, mic etc. used. I always record with a average meter (e.g. VU-meter) set to reference -20 dBFS to be safe. But watch those peaks!!! With todays converters and the dynamic range of 24-bit do not be afraid of the noise floor. If your preamp or source have a gain "sweet spot", just find it and record it but again watch those peaks. In worst case use an attenuator after the preamp etc. before input if you have to be at the "sweet spot" :-)

Hope this helps.
Old 17th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post

hey lou, the default setting EXACTLY meets these specs (1% overshoot included)
Old 17th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noooway View Post
The VU meter´s fequency response should not deviate from the 1 kHz level more than 0.2 dB from 35 Hz to 10 kHz and by 0.5 dB from 25 Hz to 16 kHz. Does this apply, or is it perfect?

Have to say thank you a lot for this "giveaway", you have made the best VU-Meter, and it was exactly what I have been looking for in a very long time. Thank you thank you!!!
Thanks for the kind words.

The frequency response of the VU meter in VUMT doesn't deviate at all.

I can confirm, that you're still unable to enter the "-" sign. unfortunately it is hidden somewhere deep in the framework I'm using. But the good news is that it will be fixed because it will come across when working on future plugins. For now you have to delete everything except the "-" when entering a negative value. So hopefully it doesn't annoy you too much.
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonhelm View Post
hey lou, the default setting EXACTLY meets these specs (1% overshoot included)
Duh, pardon me. Too early to be emailing... More coffee please!
<L>
Old 17th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Tony, can I ask for a future enhancment? If you make the trim button 2 decimal places precision as Sonalksis FreeG I would be very happy. Apple Logic has a gain plugin with same precision as VUMT has now, but sometimes I have to grab for FreeG ...
Old 18th October 2011
Lives for gear

Hi tomhelm,

does the latest update fix the "mono-> stereo" issue logic users were having before?
Old 18th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrum View Post
Hi tomhelm,

does the latest update fix the "mono-> stereo" issue logic users were having before?
Yes, it's fixed.
Old 19th October 2011
Here for the gear

I am really liking the plug in, I would like it even more (and would pay mre money) if it was resizable. I would love to be able to have it a bit bigger.

Cheers
Old 19th October 2011
Gear Addict

Mixed all day with the new version and all I can say is BRAVO! The improvements make life so much easier and actually made Nebula rendering almost fun!
Big thanks to Tony!
Old 19th October 2011
Gear Addict

Yeah thanks, it's a fine step forward and it works for me.

I did, however, take a few seconds for me to realize that you change settings by clicking the text. It is not what I would expect to do. A button, switch or something would be more appropriate. Like your knob to adjust volume which looks exactly like they would have been done back in the 70's. But if you think otherwise, the current version will also work fine for me.

... As to size I would like a huge one I can watch on the computer screen from a distance in my recording booth. Could be helpful when adjusting microphone levels etc.
Old 20th October 2011
Here for the gear

After using it a bit with Nuendo the last couple of days I am finding that the red hold needle disappears from time to time. To make it return I just switch skin and it comes back. Anyone else getting this?
Old 20th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLdave View Post
After using it a bit with Nuendo the last couple of days I am finding that the red hold needle disappears from time to time. To make it return I just switch skin and it comes back. Anyone else getting this?
Yes, in Reaper
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just woke up. But after taking my son to the kindergarden I'll be taking care of you.
That made me smile!
How far is the progress on your video?
I´d like to see it in action as there is no demo!

Greetings from Munich to Berlin,
Andreas
Old 22nd October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveminister View Post
That made me smile!
How far is the progress on your video?
I´d like to see it in action as there is no demo!

Greetings from Munich to Berlin,
Andreas
Sorry, no progress at the moment. I've started working on my new plugin and sort out some small things I'd like to change in VUMT. I saw, you did that kind of screen capture video. What software did you use? Because I've never done that before. What I could offer is: you send me a file you'd like to see VUMT on it and I'd do a licecap animated gif. That's the easiest (and fastest) thing to do for me. Drawback: no audio is captured. What do you think?

Regarding the disappearing hold needle: I couldn't reproduce it (I've tried in Reaper). The hold needle readjusts itself every few seconds. So it's hidden behind the main needle for a short moment and then adjusts to a new max value.
this is the intension of the needle. If it's really disappearing it's a bug and I'd be happy to sort it out with you, guys. in this case please send me a mail to be able to discuss it further and get some system specific infos.

Tony
Old 23rd October 2011
Gear Addict

New plug? Give us a clue
Old 23rd October 2011
Gear Maniac

Ordered!

heath.
Old 23rd October 2011
Gear Addict

Sorry if I ask the same thing I did some posts ago, but no one answered...

It could be nice to save your favorite skin in preferences, don't you think? Looks silly, but I guess that it's not really hard to implement.
Old 23rd October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by abecedari View Post
Sorry if I ask the same thing I did some posts ago, but no one answered...

It could be nice to save your favorite skin in preferences, don't you think? Looks silly, but I guess that it's not really hard to implement.
I will definitely implement this. But can't say, when atm, sorry. Because when I'll start to work at it I also want to make other prefs saveable as standard setting. So for now, you have unfortunately save a preset for this in your DAW.

Regarding the next plugin:
all I will tell you now : it's not a synth and most probably no reverb. is that vague enough?

Tony
Old 23rd October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Regarding the next plugin:
all I will tell you now : it's not a synth and most probably no reverb. is that vague enough?
Let me guess. It's a VU Meter ;-P
Old 23rd October 2011
Gear Addict

PPM meter?
Old 24th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Yeah, a new VU meter: double the size - double the price.

Nah, seriously: not another meter.
But I can't be more specific at this point. thanks for your understanding
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

Just paid for this....waiting for download link. A question though: since only 2 of my 16 channels of mic pre have vu meters, I have grown used to trying to judge this using Lynx and/or Cubase dBfs meters. The Lynx converter is calibrated such that -16 dBfs = 0dBvu.

I've always assumed that steadier state signals (keys, distorted guitar etc) would be at nominal level when the digital meters were showing -16 dBfs, but I have always wondered how to gauge percussive signals. Is there any rule of thumb for that, or do you really just have to have a vu meter to get that right?

When you are using a vu meter, is it safe to assume you've achieved nominal level when the signal peaks at zero?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search