The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
new VU meter and trim plugin: Klanghelm VUMT (Win & Mac 32 & 64 Bit plus standalone)
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
...in Logic I'm not able to type in a negative gain amount...
i have that problem here too...

nice work though, it looks/works good otherwise...
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Looks like a very useful set-up.

Is the VU characteristic exactly matching the VU specification?

with thanks,

Plush-Phonic
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Hi Tony
Great job on the meters! I've been missing the analog meters I had at
another studio, but not quite enough to spend $400 on a pair.
This is a much better deal and the ballistics are great.
I sent you an email but thought I'd mention it here as well....
in Logic I'm not able to type in a negative gain amount. I hope this is possible.

I also wish you would add a numerical peak (0db max) readout with hold.
This would let me make sure I haven't missed some stray transient in the track somewhere.

I also wish you could link the gains in the Duo stereo meter. Maybe
you already can but I can't find it.

I highly recommend this and have already started spreading the word!!
glad you like them that much. negative value input is only possible atm, when you move the knob to a negative value and then, when clicking in the box, mark everything except the "-". I know I know it's dodgy but it's unfortunately the only way at the moment. Of course I will fix this for the next update. And a link button will also be (re-)included. the DUO version already had a link button, but in the end I decided against it because I thought: if you want to watch left/right channel independently, you also want to control the channel volume saeparately. In the SOLO version left and gain is linked. Maybe I was a bit too obsessed with reducing parameters for simplicity's sake :-).
Regarding the peak indicator. Well, atm the only thing I can say is I strongly consider this, since it sounds like very useful feature. But it's to early for me to seriously think about NEW features. The plugin is just out and my priority for now is that plugin is working as expected for everybody. Hey, but keep the suggestions coming. I really appreciate your input oh and a forth for spreading the word.

Tony
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post

with thanks,

Plush-Phonic
Well I tried my best to meet the most common VU specifications (300 ms integration time, 1% needle - overshoot).
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Tony. Concerns were realized when using the standalone version. I made this purchase solely on checking refs. in the main studio's system and even after adjusting the prefs. (Input/Output Device set accordingly) no signal is registering on either VU. Is there something missed on our end?

Mac OSX 10.6.8
2 x 2.93 Quad Core
Old 6th September 2011
M2E
Lives for gear

Sorry if this has been asked already but, RTAS? Any plans?
Looks good.
Love the idea.

Marc
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

the VU's look nice ...

However ... [and maybe already mentioned] ...

Having a PEAK LED metering scale incorporated with the VU was a
standard on NEVE's, SSL, MCI's that I still would like to see in a VST plug.

Having BOTH meter reference's together gives a more complete ref system.

If it included a numeric peak value ... it would be a buy $$.

thx
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Sorry to be the party pooper, but please keep it simple and just VU only. For digital metering, we do have the host.

I agree however that the clip LED needs a hold and maybe even a "ceiling" setting. My host is for example setup to go red as soon as the peak goes higher than -6dBFS digital on the channel strip (resulting in a 12dB headroom with -18dB as reference).

I'd also love to see a "link" function for trimming in L/R mode with the duo plugin.

And maybe a "resizable" GUI, but that is just bonus. As is "locking" the skin for plugin reload/additional instances. But this is what project templates are for.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Nut

This plug doesn't give me anything that I don't already have with Satson does it?

Jim
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo21 View Post
This plug doesn't give me anything that I don't already have with Satson does it?

Jim
SatSon is working nice for me... And the guy who made it had Nebula in mind, so I think it can be kind of redundant. But for those who don't have a nice VU this is a steal. And the GUI looks friggin' nice, by the way!!! (Actually, I really like this GUI much more than the SatSon...)
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo21 View Post

Jim
You can use the standalone app as a meter for your interface when recording so that levels are correct before Satson (giving you more control over saturation etc), plus the MS feature is great.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post

with thanks,

Plush-Phonic
Also wondering.
This looks like a potential winner to me.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Also wondering.
This looks like a potential winner to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonhelm View Post
Well I tried my best to meet the most common VU specifications (300 ms integration time, 1% needle - overshoot).
Cheers
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Just bought it. +1 for the stereo gain-link.
Can't wait!
It's so funny that the only plugs I can get excited about (other than Neb programs) are friggen' meters. Haha...
Hardware is another story of course, saving up

Last edited by Blandry; 7th September 2011 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: punctuation
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Fox View Post
I agree however that the clip LED needs a hold and maybe even a "ceiling" setting.
The link function will definetely be implemented.

After thinking a bit further about the LED and some user suggestions I strongly tend to make the LED a bit smarter (It initially was only built in for completeness):
The LED will still light up red/orange when level exceeds -0.2 dBFS. And it will get a hold function. You convinced me, guys.
And you will be able to set a peak reference level, so that the LED light up green or something like that when peaks are excceding this predefined level. I, for example try to keep my recording peak levels below -6 dBFS. And getting an indication would be indeed very useful also for me as a user.

What do you think?

Please don't forget, that main aim is to keep VUMT a simple plugin with its focus set on VU metering. I have no plans (at least atm) to add fully blown peak metering as well.
That said, let's make the clip LED a clever bastard.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
Sorry if this has been asked already but, RTAS? Any plans?
Looks good.
Love the idea.

Marc
Hey Marc,
I will need the OK from AVID first to be able to port it to RTAS. It's not easy to get a response from them. Ask Vojtech from Melda or other devs. But of course its on my list.

Last edited by tonhelm; 7th September 2011 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyByStarbucks View Post
Hi Tony. Concerns were realized when using the standalone version. I made this purchase solely on checking refs. in the main studio's system and even after adjusting the prefs. (Input/Output Device set accordingly) no signal is registering on either VU. Is there something missed on our end?

Mac OSX 10.6.8
2 x 2.93 Quad Core
hey,
I've just responded to your mail. I'll look into it asap.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

47 posts and not one saying if it really responds like a true VU?

I have lost count how many times I have met a girl in a club who "looks" amazing but NOT in the morning... if you know what I mean, looks mean nothing.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm about to order it - the selllng point for me is having dual needles in one meter. The first studio I worked in had a NAGRA IV-S for the master recorder, and I got very famiiar with the single meter with dual needles. That was a peak reading indicator though, and I was further trained using Ampex tape deck meters, so this looks like an ideal combination.

The best meters I have now (other than SpectraFoo) is the Waves MPX tape plugin, whch has excellent metering!

L
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
I compared it with several VU plugins I had at hand. In direct comparision with PSP Vintage Meter (setup to 300ms), VUMT responds a tiny little bit slower (could be a thing due to the GUI size differences). Compared to zplane's PPMulator, the attack is close as well - fallback can't be set in PPMulator to less than 1s.

So I'd say, it works like it should.

Quote:
And you will be able to set a peak reference level, so that the LED light up green or something like that when peaks are excceding this predefined level. I, for example try to keep my recording peak levels below -6 dBFS. And getting an indication would be indeed very useful also for me as a user.

What do you think?
I think two colors work in this case. But not "green", since it's an indication for "everything is fine". I'd go for yellow/orange and dark red.

The peak reference level would then indicate when the yellow LED goes off (so that it tells you "you're past your headroom"), the red LED would ultimately show you "clipping". Best if intersample peak could be recognized as well, but with -18dB (RMS) and if you didn't do anything wrong, you should't reach -6dB to -3dB digital peak.

Quote:
Please don't forget, that main aim is to keep VUMT a simple plugin with its focus set on VU metering. I have no plans (at least atm) to add fully blown peak metering as well.
Which is definitely a good thing.

What do you say about GUI resizing (either in modes or manually)? At the moment it's okay and good to see what is going on. But you'll never know at what crazy screensizes certain people might run your plugin on.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
I don't own any hardware needle VUs to compare it to, but it's pretty close/the same as the other plug-in ones I've demoed/own.

It responds how I remember A827 metering responding ... memory is a very fickle thing, but yeah ... it's a VU meter

Quote:
I think two colors work in this case. But not "green", since it's an indication for "everything is fine". I'd go for yellow/orange and dark red.
Yeah this sounds good to me. The way I would use this LED calib would be so that I would aim to be hitting the "warm" area periodically rather than using it as a "warning" ... if that makes sense ... I dunno, it's basically the same thing

Intersample peak detection would require upsampling, which would increase cpu use so I'm -1 for that idea.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't see any need for changing the peak indication - after all, whatever else you are using will have its own peak metering! Though I limit my peaks to -0.3 so if I ever see the -0.2 light I know there is trouble!

IF there were a change, I'd like to have the knob be for calibration without changing the level... but not a problem as it is - I will be using it to read levels after the mastering or while recording.

Great piece of work! I have no quibble about its exact dynamics, but will do some expreiments watching it against Pro Tools, a Sound Devices 744, and my Studer real mechanical meters... All mechanical meters had their own characteristics, back in the analog days you'd spend a lot of time watching and getting to know each device and how the meters reflected the real sound, if you wanted to be accurate. A console, a tape deck, and various other things all had their own way of reading levels.

Thanks Tony for making it, making it good, and inexpensive. Don't ever sell it out to some corporation!

L
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Tim, I remember: The dual colour LED was your idea. Yesterday I said, it's too early to think about new features. But guess what, today I started working on the first update. It won't include the LED thing. But it will include a channel link button for the DUO version, a freely adjustable reference level (-20 to 0dBFS, is that OK?). And there will be individual controls for left/right/mid/side volume. That's another one from Tim. So when you switch from L/R to M/S mode your L/R adjustments will stay unaffected and vice versa.
Stay tuned and thanks for your support.

Tony
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Excellent stuff!
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hi Tony,

I really love the meters. However, in Logic 9, I don't have the option to load a mono version of the Solo. The only option it gives me is mono -> stereo. Am I missing something, or ... ?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I'll look into it.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Regarding the LED:
Well, I'd see it as "if the orange LED goes off", I've used my headroom up (the "ideal" worklevel is -18dB RMS, everything above is the "headroom", the headroom maximum with a console that goes +12 would be -6dB peak). I think it's cosmetic after all. It's for those people that don't go by any set limits or something like that. But I'd definitely support that idea (orange LED adjustable for different headrooms, red LED fixed to -0,2dB or so).

Regarding the reference level shift...
I'd go for -24dB to -6dB absolute maximum. 0dB RMS would result in a data saussage, and we engineers try to prevent that at all cost. 300ms is measuring the average signal after all - and depending on the provided material, it can easily overshot (bass) or barely respond but clip digitally (snare for example).

Should you implement different ballistics, you can still change the maximum values of the reference level. But like you said, keep things simple.

Do you utilize a backpannel for this purpose? Would make the front less cluttered.
Old 7th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'll look into it.
Thanks Tony. Hope the plug is selling well, it's very good.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Do you utilize a backpanel for this purpose? Would make the front less cluttered.
Well, kind of, yeah.
I don't want you pollute the front panel more. The only thing added to the front panel will be a link switch. All other added controls can be found on a different panel.

Oh, and Mr. Fox: Today I've started to implement attack and release controls and two additional controls: needle sensitivity and a combined acceleration/deceleration control. This way you should be able to emulate the behaviour other VU meters, maybe real VU meters from your hardware you are familiar with. At first sight I wasn't to keen on adding attack and release, because it was so much work to finetune the existing Vu to work reliable and predictable. But I find the idea of turning VUMT into a Vu meter designer quite interesting and challenging. What do you guys think?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Another thanks - very nice. Is it possible toi change the color from Champagne to black? I dont; see a pref or control for that...
L
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search