The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Novation Automap 4.0 DAW Software
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Here you go.
Lilliput USB Monitor - Lilliput Electronics Co., Ltd.

Not expensive and works perfectly. 7" was exactly what I needed but some plugins are way too big to fit in 800x600
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

just tried in pro tools on a mac.....works a treat. Very simple, you click on a plug in and the Novation Remote maps the controllers to the plug, turn the dials, it turns the plug....
some crashes on opening and closing PT though.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear
I gave up on Automap quite a while ago after a short stint, mainly because of the fact you had to wrap all yer plugs (at least you had to with LogicPro). Do you still have to do that? If so, it's a PITA because if you move your project to another system, you had to have the wrapped versions on that system too, regardless of whether you were using Autoslop.
Not to mention you had to block midi ports and jump through all sorts of flaming hoops to make things marginally better than using a mouse... or not.

I am hoping things have changed since then, as I really like my Novation Remote SL, but I've gotten used to the templates I've created for it and in conjunction with a Mackie Controller, I'm in controller heaven. However, if Automap has come of age, I'll get onboard again.

REgards,
Matt
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
I gave up on Automap quite a while ago after a short stint, mainly because of the fact you had to wrap all yer plugs (at least you had to with LogicPro). Do you still have to do that? If so, it's a PITA because if you move your project to another system, you had to have the wrapped versions on that system too, regardless of whether you were using Autoslop.

REgards,
Matt
You still have to wrap the plugs and use the 'automap' versions. If you remove automap and open a project that used them, the project just reverted back to the non-wrapped versions for me in Cubase. I would suspect it would be the same experience in other DAWs.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post
You still have to wrap the plugs and use the 'automap' versions. If you remove automap and open a project that used them, the project just reverted back to the non-wrapped versions for me in Cubase. I would suspect it would be the same experience in other DAWs.
Mmmm, I didn't have any luck (back then) with Logic or ProTools in the same situation. (ie. reverting to a different machine without wrapped versions of the same plugs)
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I am yet to see a controller that actually works. Automap-like functionality should be and will sooner or later be an integral part of EVERY professional DAW. Presonus Studio One, REAPER, etc, already make it easy to map stuff fast.

If your set-up relies on several bits of software from different companies, you're on your way to headache-land. Automap is nothing but a workaround for user-unfriendly workflow-killing DAWs that don't offer easy controller mapping (e.g. Cubase and Nuendo).
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
I am yet to see a controller that actually works. Automap-like functionality should be and will sooner or later be an integral part of EVERY professional DAW. Presonus Studio One, REAPER, etc, already make it easy to map stuff fast.

If your set-up relies on several bits of software from different companies, you're on your way to headache-land. Automap is nothing but a workaround for user-unfriendly workflow-killing DAWs that don't offer easy controller mapping (e.g. Cubase and Nuendo).

Agree
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Update, Waves doesnt work properly and Lexicon PCM causes tools to crash bad on opening. Just diasbled Lexicon PCM in Automap and all works a treat......I had binned Automap for a long time, now it is almost ready for prime time. I mainly want it to work for EQ's, softube works fine, Sonnox is fine, Waves is sadly not ready.
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

waves work with 3.4, why they can't get them working with 3.7 or 4???
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like Automap on a Nocturn but I find myself looking more & more into a touchscreen 23" for controlling plugins (NOT for faders or editing, just the plugs)

Herwig
Old 24th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
I like Automap on a Nocturn but I find myself looking more & more into a touchscreen 23" for controlling plugins (NOT for faders or editing, just the plugs)

Herwig
Can you shear which one you are using?
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by an.unna.kid View Post
Can you shear which one you are using?
Currently not using anything but I have the Acer T231 on my radar. 23" multi-touch. Only Win7 tough (no mac nor vista/xp). Youtube demo's look promising, price is ok in Europe. First have to sort my desk automation then I'll look into this kind of controller.

Herwig
Old 24th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by an.unna.kid View Post
I started using a 7" usb touchscreen for my automap and plugin graphics. all my plugins turn up there and now I dont have to bother having them in the same screen as the arrange. its effective as I see directly what I'm doing with the plugin using the nocturn controller (without the direct call function on). easy to mix and fun for the customer too :-) looks really cool
That's a great idea. How do you get your plug-in GUIs to show up in the mini screen? Is it just by dragging the plug-in window off your main display window, and over to the mini screen, or does your DAW (not sure which you're using) support some multi-display option, where you can tell it to show plug-in GUIs in a 2nd hardware display?

cheers,
Leigh
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

trying the nocturn here....3.7.4....seems to me it really only works well for logic and logics bundled plugin selection.
anything else seems very unreliable so far.
Old 25th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffydog View Post
trying the nocturn here....3.7.4....seems to me it really only works well for logic and logics bundled plugin selection.
anything else seems very unreliable so far.
I use it with DP7.24 and it's great. Haven't tried v4 beta yet. I think the key is to make your own templates because even if the default works great I find I prefer a different configuration.

What I really want is Novation to license this technology to a 3rd party company that makes fully compatible hardware faceplates that look and feel like the real hardware equivalents; or create a kit where you can build your own layout of switches and knobs with licensed skins laid out over a rackmountable faceplate. The only think I hate about the Nocturn is that the discrepancy between the plug GUI and the interface can hinder workflow.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

i found in general that automap3 crashed to much. im using logic 64 bit and 32 bit plugs with the bit bridge its already shaky and adding automap that was already shaky made logic crashed easily.

also, dunno who in novation thinks to make templates using the least used
parameters in a synth and not automatically route the most common tweaking paramters.
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Addict

Anyone know if it's possible to turn off automap or do you have to uninstall it? Also, if you turn it off, will automap plugins run as non-automapped or do the just no longer load?
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGK_Dude View Post
Anyone know if it's possible to turn off automap or do you have to uninstall it? Also, if you turn it off, will automap plugins run as non-automapped or do the just no longer load?
I was wondering the same thing, since I'm considering giving the Nocturn a try. But it doesn't look like you can just globally toggle Automap on and off. You can, however, wrap and unwrap individual plug-ins, without uninstalling Automap.

If you do decide to fully uninstall Automap, you need to remember to "unwrap" your plug-ins before uninstalling:

How do I uninstall Automap from my Mac? .: Novation Answerbase

Still I wonder if a session that was using the Automapped version of a plug-in will degrade gracefully to its non-wrapped version, if Automap is removed. According to the Automap 3 user guide (see page 5), for Pro Tools anyways they rename the plug-ins while they are wrapped by Automap, and revert to the original naming if the plug-ins are unwrapped. So, is Pro Tools going to identify the renamed plug-in successfully? Yikes, that would be the first thing I would test before committing to using Automap in my workflow.

Also, another potential headache: I guess that would mean you'd have to temporarily unwrap a given plug-in if you were running an installer/updater for a new version of that plug-in. Otherwise, the installer wouldn't replace the old plug-in, it would just write a new version alongside it (in Pro Tools, anyways).

Leigh
Old 12th October 2011
Gear Addict

Anymore feedback from those who have used Automap 4 so far?

Any glitches?
Lagging?
Bugginess?
Difficulties?

How is it?
Old 12th October 2011
Lives for gear

when is 4.0 due out?
Old 12th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
when is 4.0 due out?
Focusrite / Novation Beta Testing :: Releases

This is the latest beta that's out. The more people who try it and report on it, I assume the faster 4.0 will be available. My new computer arrives on Friday so I'm holding off on the newest beta till the weekend.

A note: I tried the previous beta, which didn't properly wrap 64bit plugs. To use the beta 4.1b6, I had to update the OS. After updating the OS and reverting to 3.7.4, I had the same issues. I had to revert the OS as well to use 3.7.4 properly.

Regarding the reverting back to non-automapped plugs: I mentioned before, but on Cubase in Windows 7 and v3.7.4, my projects reverted back to the non-autmapped versions with all settings saved properly. I unwrapped the plugs first, then uninstalled. Someone else did not have this experience, in Logic I believe but I'm not sure if they followed the same procedure.

Also, you can turn automap off while working in your DAW. I noticed that some plugs in Cubase give you the wrapped and non-wrapped versions to choose from. Others just give you the wrapped versions. So, you can turn automap off, use the wrapped versions of plugs for use with AM later. If you uninstall, it should revert back to unwrapped versions with settings saved. This applies to my experience with Cubase, W7 and AM 3.7.4.

What I'm wondering is if the AI knob will work better with v4 on PC. It was ususable for me the first go round with AM last year.
Old 14th October 2011
Gear Head

Hi all,

Just to clarify, the PRO Features of Automap 3 are included as standard in the Automap 4 beta, so you are not missing out the extra keystroke assignments / drag and drop / multiple controller use.

Best,

Tim

Focusrite / Novation Technical Support
Old 15th October 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
I was wondering the same thing, since I'm considering giving the Nocturn a try. ......So, is Pro Tools going to identify the renamed plug-in successfully? Yikes, that would be the first thing I would test before committing to using Automap in my workflow.

Also, another potential headache: I guess that would mean you'd have to temporarily unwrap a given plug-in if you were running an installer/updater for a new version of that plug-in. Otherwise, the installer wouldn't replace the old plug-in, it would just write a new version alongside it (in Pro Tools, anyways).

Leigh
I've been using the Nocturne / Automap combo on my PT rig for 2 years now and can 't imagine working without it.

There are no problems moving your session to another rig. PT is dumb, it just looks for a plugin with the right name and attempts to load it on a track. So if the other rig has that plugin it will load, settings and all.

As far as updating plugins go, you can just install as normal, just make sure to re-wrap it. Be careful, if you need to keep the older version of the plugin, make sure you remove it from the Plug-Ins (Unused)/Automap Plug-Ins folder before rewrapping the new one.
Old 19th October 2011
Old 10th November 2011
Gear Head

novation automap 4

can someone confirm is it stable.

WIN 7 64 /cubase 5 /nuedno 5.5 /nuendo 4 /cubase 6 /waves /lexicon any other problems? gliches?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search