The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BaxterEQ from Bootsy Equalizer Plugins
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan k View Post
I was more referring to if you could, lets say.....

Boost a 8k hi-shelf, and still cut a notch in the 4k area (for a problematic cut).....

It looks like you can do one or the other, but not both.

Im guessing this EQ isnt meant to be surgical, but more BROAD for general balance/sweetinging.
That's a very accurate description, the eq is just low/high shelf +/- 5db so it sounds very sweet but there's no real correcting to be done. What it does well however it does reaaly wellheh
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

just downloaded the BaxEQ....

WOW....for a FREEBIE, this thing is pretty solid! Its does the Lows so beautifully! Adjusting the highs can take some getting used to (baxandall curves)....but it does add that "sheen air" the minute you start boosting. This plug is pretty transparent.

im liking this thing very much! Gonna find myself using this quite often.....
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Outstanding generosity, AGAIN, from that man. Hats off to you, Bootsy.
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Does something nice to the stereo image, even without any EQ adjustments.
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Addict
Standing with one for, or half that fot in my pc, and the other one and a half in my mac due to a transfer in the comp world.... Only thing i can think of is, Bootsy, for f sake... Make these for mac! :D
This eq is really really f***ing sweet! Love it, I gotta stop looking into this freebie plugs!!!
Good job on the eq, really nice..
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
First problem reported: on PT when bypassing the plugin from the bypass button it does not null to a copied track, if you disengage it from the IN button (turning it off) it does null, that's odd.

When the eq is ON but no controls are moved there's that lil something,
seems a slight stereo spread
This might have something to do with the analog signal path emulation. I haven't seen a signal flow chart, but I could imagine that the analog emulation part takes place after the eq, and when you bypass the plugin it still runs through the analog path.

Just guessing, as I haven't yet had the pleasure of testing the plug.

Congrats on the release Bootsy, it looks very interesting.
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncite View Post
This might have something to do with the analog signal path emulation. I haven't seen a signal flow chart, but I could imagine that the analog emulation part takes place after the eq, and when you bypass the plugin it still runs through the analog path.

Just guessing, as I haven't yet had the pleasure of testing the plug.

Congrats on the release Bootsy, it looks very interesting.

No unfortunately that's not it, yes the coloration/stereo field processing takes place as soon as you put the plugin in the slot, without touching anything
but when you disengage it pressing its "IN" button the two tracks null perfectly. Turning it on you can hear the changes, the problem is when you bypass it with the bypass button the "difference" between the two tracks changes when instead they should null again.
It seems a wrong delay compensation report taking place only when using the bypass button.
Not a big deal when you know it, but a bit annoying, i'm sure he'll fix it soon
Old 28th September 2011
Here for the gear

Want to try it !

Too bad, i just finished a track without using it because i didn't checked if it was released...

This is the first time i was so pressed to try a plugin (and i tested around 500)

This EQ fill a gap in the plugin world, using M/S technique,shelf Baxandall, Butterworth cuts, subtle coloration...and even more.

The last EQ i used for mastering purpose is NobleQ from PSP.
Very nice plugin for that purpose, you can reduce the coloration if you find it too "invasive".But i didn't heh

Once again (like with FerricTDS), Variety of Sound/Herbert/Patrick created an amazing looking and sounding plugin, using it is a sound experience
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Bootsy is a Jedi

He continues to amaze
Old 29th September 2011
Does this work with W7 64?
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello people View Post
Does this work with W7 64?
yes, bridged
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Used it properly last night and really enjoyed it. I often shy away from new EQ plugs, as I already have enough, but I found some of the curves of this EQ to be different to what I already have. Impressed. Very smooth and musical.

I find it astounding that considering how much money I have spent on UAD and Powercore plugins, that I use Bootsy's plugins as often as I use them. The Ferric TDS, Density Compressor, what can I say? They are incredible.
Old 30th September 2011
Gear Addict

If only I could run these plugs on my UAD card that would be mint, I don't know about others but when I load a few instances of bootsy plugs in cubase the gui starts to disappear.
Old 2nd October 2011
Lui
Gear Nut

this eq rules! the bass boost is great. thanks for another great free plugin!
i would definately spend money for this.
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

Been using this eq a fair bit over the last couple of weeks and I really love it. Some of the nicest curves out there & really well thought out - only gripe is that you can't select whether the gain can be linked or unlinked, but hardly a biggie!
Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear

Agreed, the curves are amazing. It is very very smooth indeed. I remain constantly impressed with Bootsy. I think most of his plugins are as good as anything else I have paid alot of money for.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear
I have the hardware, the Bax. Even if this plug is nice especially with the M/S option, It has not the magic, this special subtle and uncommon touch of the hardware.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by priko View Post
I have the hardware, the Bax. Even if this plug is nice especially with the M/S option, It has not the magic, this special subtle and uncommon touch of the hardware.
For a free EQ plugin that has some magic of it's own, I don't think I feel the need to complain that it has not the magic of the hardware Bax.

The M/S option alone makes this EQ perfect for a little tone shaping on the master bus! Love it! At first I wanted it to have a wider cut/boost range, but now I think it's a good thing that it's subtle.

Old 19th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well the same applies to every plugin out there. Considering this one does a good job as every other (free) vos plugins makes it a no brainer.
Old 19th October 2011
Lives for gear

I've been using this mostly for shaping reverbs; a really nice free plug.
Old 20th October 2011
Lives for gear
I don't speak about the quality of the plugin.
I just say (as one say it's based on Bax hardware), this plugin has not the magic of the hardware. So don't expect to hear a Bax while using this plugin. It is just using the concept +M/S but it is not the sound of the real hardware. I think it's important to tell this truth as I daily use the Bax.

So, nothing to do with money, quality etc... just texture/magic spell of the hardware can't be anticipated by just using the plug. 0,5 db cut of boost on the Bax placed before or after a comp is just so amazing!
When you bypass it, something is then really missing.
Stardust.
Old 20th October 2011
Here for the gear

great free eq!!
Old 20th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't speak about the quality of the plugin.
I just say (as one say it's based on Bax hardware), this plugin has not the magic of the hardware. So don't expect to hear a Bax while using this plugin. It is just using the concept +M/S but it is not the sound of the real hardware. I think it's important to tell this truth as I daily use the Bax.

So, nothing to do with money, quality etc... just texture/magic spell of the hardware can't be anticipated by just using the plug. 0,5 db cut of boost on the Bax placed before or after a comp is just so amazing!
When you bypass it, something is then really missing.
Stardust.

I respect your opinion, but it is horses for courses and as you love of one particular unit, you will dismiss any plugin or several other pieces of hardware that do the same thing, however, there are plenty of other engineers who will hear the Baxter EQ and be very impressed. It is one of the best sounding EQ plugins I have heard and I have heard many. Can it go toe to toe with the Bax? It's isn't suppose to!!!! The idea is that you have a selection of tools to choose from. I don't sit in my studio comparing each compressor or EQ I have. I believe they all have a purpose and they find a moment to shine, when the right material comes their way. No one said this is a straight emulation or clone, so why compare it?

I actually hate it when people attempt to down play the usefulness of one tool, just because they have another tool that does something very similar. Why can't you enjoy them both!! It is like parents who have kids and pick a favourite!!! Why, just love them all. The Bax and The Baxter EQ are both great.
Old 20th October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
I respect your opinion, but it is horses for courses and as you love of one particular unit, you will dismiss any plugin or several other pieces of hardware that do the same thing, however, there are plenty of other engineers who will hear the Baxter EQ and be very impressed. It is one of the best sounding EQ plugins I have heard and I have heard many. Can it go toe to toe with the Bax? It's isn't suppose to!!!! The idea is that you have a selection of tools to choose from. I don't sit in my studio comparing each compressor or EQ I have. I believe they all have a purpose and they find a moment to shine, when the right material comes their way. No one said this is a straight emulation or clone, so why compare it?

I actually hate it when people attempt to down play the usefulness of one tool, just because they have another tool that does something very similar. Why can't you enjoy them both!! It is like parents who have kids and pick a favourite!!! Why, just love them all. The Bax and The Baxter EQ are both great.
Word!

Besides it tried it today on a new project and I like it alot.

/Jon
Old 20th October 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
Can it go toe to toe with the Bax? It's isn't suppose to!!!! .... No one said this is a straight emulation or clone, so why compare it?
No offense but judging by Bootsie's fine EQ's name one might draw some conclusions...
Old 20th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsraeg View Post
No offense but judging by Bootsie's fine EQ's name one might draw some conclusions...
I would assume they're both just named after the Baxandall EQ curves employed, but I've been wrong before...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search