The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Novation Impulse Keyboards Unveiled Keyboard Controllers
Old 1st September 2011
Administrator

Hardware Novation Impulse Keyboards Unveiled

Impulse is Novation’s brand new, cutting-edge range of professional USB/MIDI controllers, available in 25-, 49- and 61-key models. Each has an ultra-responsive, semi-weighted keybed with aftertouch, making it feel and play like a real, expressive musical instrument. Impulse controllers have eight rotary encoders, full transport control, a large LCD and 55mm faders, enabling highly expressive performance and unsurpassed control of your music software, with excellent value for money.

Key Features

Precision semi-weighted keyboard with aftertouch.
Eight rotary encoders, full transport control, nine assignable buttons & 55mm faders (nine on Impulse 49 and 61; one on Impulse 25).
Eight drum pads with multicolour LED backlights and multi-mode operation.
Large LCD with actively updating readout.
Robust and rugged hardware design.
USB powered, with expression and sustain pedal inputs as well as MIDI input and output ports.
Comes with Xcite+ Pack: Novation Automap, Ableton Live Lite, Novation Bass Station and 1.5GB of Loopmasters/Mike The Drummer samples.

All eight of Impulse’s drum pads are backlit with multi-coloured LEDs, and they operate in different modes, such as following the pattern being played by Impulse's on-board groovebox-style arpeggiator/step sequencer. You can change the pattern in real time and engage a beat roll function, to improvise with drum patterns on the fly. In addition to this, the drum pads can be used to trigger clips in Ableton Live's session view; illuminating yellow if a clip is loaded, green if it is playing and red if it is set to record. Of course, you can add further character to your performance with the pitch and modulation wheels. Impulse is designed to give you complete control of your music-making software. The knobs, faders and buttons put your mixer, instruments and effects at your fingertips, with the convenience of the included Automap control software. Impulse’s large LCD screen shows important information about what you are controlling, as you are touching it, and transport buttons provide direct hardware command over your session and easy navigation around your music software.

As well as a precision keyboard, drums pads and a full control surface, each Impulse controller comes with Novation’s award-winning Automap control software, for fast and simple DAW and plug-in control. Impulse also comes with Ableton Live Lite, Novation’s Bass Station soft synth and a Loopmasters sample pack, giving you all you need to start making music. Impulse controllers are powered via the computer’s USB connection, and there are expression and sustain pedal inputs on the rear panel, as well as a MIDI input and output, so you can use Impulse as part of a larger hardware setup. Novation’s Impulse Range will be shipping in September 2011.

Link : IMPULSE
Old 1st September 2011
Administrator

Video

Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Hmmm these look great. I was planning on getting a Nocturn as my Korg Kontrol 49 is getting a bit bashed and battered (it was always a plastic-fantastic). I wonder how many pennies the 61 key version will cost? I've heard good things about their automap feature.
Old 1st September 2011
Administrator

Hardware

AFAIK

25 comes in at £199.

49 comes in at £249

61 comes in at £299

but of course street price could be cheaper.

Graham
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

^^hope so, cause i would like to get the 61 key.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Here is US MAP pricing:

Impulse 25 - 25 note Novation Controller keyboard 249.99

Impulse 49 - 49 note Novation Controller keyboard 349.99

Impulse 61 - 61 note Novation Controller keyboard 399.99
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

That Automap 4.0 looks very cool, anyone here beta testing it?
Old 1st September 2011

Can you use something like this at the same time as euphonix controllers in pro tools? I seem to remember seeing something about only one controller at a time in pro tools..

matt
Old 2nd September 2011
It doesn't say, so I guess they're not, but anyway, are the faders automated? If they are, I'm sold, if not, I stick with what I've got (and call 'missed opportunity'...)

r,
j,
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

IMHO they look pretty naff, M-Audio already does that!
...and if you selling them on semi-wieghted touch why is there no 76 or 88 key version!
I've always loved the SL series keybed and have hoped for a 88 key for some time, shame.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Isn't this a black copy of M Audio Axiom Pro? ))
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackafgano View Post
Indeed
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

i really hope control names are also availlable on lcd cause i never use the automap gui except for the first time mapping

Kinda reminds me access virus look merged with the roland A pro series ..
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackafgano View Post
Indeed...
Old 3rd September 2011
JES
Lives for gear

My first question in reading this is have they improved automap? Why not just go to OSC? It' not like it's expensive to implement. . . .
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedomus View Post
IMHO they look pretty naff, M-Audio already does that!
...and if you selling them on semi-wieghted touch why is there no 76 or 88 key version!
I've always loved the SL series keybed and have hoped for a 88 key for some time, shame.
+1
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
i really hope control names are also availlable on lcd cause i never use the automap gui except for the first time mapping

Kinda reminds me access virus look merged with the roland A pro series ..
would love to have editable names also.

not bad looking either!
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Any videos of automap 4.0 yet?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

For some : M audio is far behind from novation simply because automap technology ... (should i add drivers , support ect...)

and yes names are editable

i'm gonna keep sl compact simply because of the lcd up each knobs ....
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I ordered and Im freaaaaking excited... Really sad theres no 88 though but still freaaaaaking excited...
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
I may try putting my MPK-61 for sale and replacing it with the 61 key version of this. My fingers and the keyboard on the Akai just don't get along well (which is a shame because I like everything else about it).
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

I am a happy owner of both the Remote 61SL and Remote Zero MkII, both of which I like a lot. I cannot, however, understand why Novation would introduce this line, rather than simply keep improving the SL line? Is this new like supposed to be a cheaper alternative to the SL, or are they discontinuing the SL line in favor of this new line?

I would love to see the SL line upgraded with moving faders with an LED meter to the left of each fader, DEDICATED TRANSPORT CONTROLS, and multi-colored leds whose color changes according to button function. Instead we get Impulse. Please help me understand.
Old 6th September 2011
Thumbs up

I couldn't agree more!
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

+ 1111111111111111111111..........
Old 7th September 2011
ajs
Gear Maniac

Never mind the bling give us a proper players keyboard.

That would be my hope for it.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Gotta say, these look like a major step backward from the more "pro" vibe Novation's known for. The keybeds themselves look just like the horrid action on M-Audio's Axiom series, which would be a real shame as Novation was one of the only options for a semi-decent action on these type of controllers. Also, with that bottom-of-the barrel LCD (no real ASCII characters), it looks like the ease & specificity of programming is gone too.

Indeed, these look essentially like an OEM'd Axiom with Automap. Novation, you can do much better!
Old 7th September 2011
OMU
Lives for gear

They should focus on improving Automap, which besides the fact that reads parameter positions and avoids jumping offers even lower resolution than MIDI, instead of offering higher resolution. Doing a filter sweep on a Novation keyboard sounds as worse as on any MIDI controller and I think that's a shame.

The second aspect is pressing buttons for reaching the desired page could take a lot. Automap is a good idea but it is only half done.

And these keyboards look too M-Audio-ish to me too.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I am a happy owner of both the Remote 61SL and Remote Zero MkII, both of which I like a lot. I cannot, however, understand why Novation would introduce this line, rather than simply keep improving the SL line? Is this new like supposed to be a cheaper alternative to the SL, or are they discontinuing the SL line in favor of this new line?
Seems to me that the Impulse is intended as a performance controller, while the SL line is more oriented to recording and mixing.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

Two wheels? No Joystick?

Boooooo.

Big time boooooooooo.
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

why the heck they don't do 37keys anymore???
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search