The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In
Old 1st September 2011
Administrator

Software UAD Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In

Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In

It's Not a Record Until it's Mastered on an Ampex® Tape Machine.

For more than three decades, the two-channel Ampex ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder has turned music recordings into records. With its cohesive sound, punch, and ability to provide subtle-to-deep tape saturation and color, the ATR-102 is a fixture in major recording and mastering studios — and is considered by many engineers to be the best-sounding tape machine for final mixdown. The perfect complement to the workhorse Studer A800 Multichannel Tape Recorder, the ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder plug-in for UAD-2 can provide the final “analog polish” on your music, turning songs into albums.

Features

Ampex®-authenticated plug-in emulation of the ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder — the most popular professional 2-track machine ever made
Provides rich, cohesive tape sound, without the hassles of calibration, maintenance, tape degradation, etc.
Models entire ATR-102 electronic path, including transformers, amplifiers, Repro, Sync, and Input paths
Features multiple tape formulas, head configurations, and calibration levels
Adjustable Wow, Flutter, Hiss, Hum, Crosstalk, and (L/R) Tape Delay
Requires a UAD-2 DSP Accelerator Card available from authorized dealers worldwide
View All Features
Impeccably modeled in the renowned UAD engineering tradition — and incorporating presets from noted ATR-102 users Chuck Ainlay, Richard Dodd, Buddy Miller, Mike Poole, and more — the ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder plug-in emulation for UAD-2 faithfully replicates the unique dynamics, frequency response, and saturation characteristics of the original hardware. Scrutinized and fully authenticated by the Ampex Corporation, the sound of the ATR-102 plug-in for UAD-2 is virtually indistinguishable from its analog cousin.

History
Introduced in 1976, the Ampex ATR-102 2-Track Tape Recorder was a near-instant hit, thanks to its revolutionary servo-controlled reel motors and capstan, which provided smooth, continuous tape tension and handling. The large capstan, and absence of pinch rollers, provided nearly non-existent speed drift and ultra-low flutter. The clever ATR-102 design allowed users to change out heads and guides in mere minutes, with a 1" head being a very popular "hot-rod" modification in more recent years — especially when running at 15 IPS (inches per second). The ATR's role in modern recording history is so prevalent, that it would be easier to list classic albums that weren't mixed down on this machine, rather than to try to list all those that were.

Plug-In Parameters
Like the ATR-102 hardware, the plug-in allows you to choose between various Signal Paths (Input, Sync, Repro), different Tape Speeds / Emphasis EQs (NAB, CCIR, AES) and Tape Formula combinations, even including home/consumer tape. The Input (Record) Gain knob and the Cal button are the primary controls for regulating levels, and even saturating the tape, and can be used to deliver a heavily colored sound if desired. Other ATR-102 features include: 1/4," 1/2," or 1" Head Select, Biasing/Calibration controls (auto and manual), crosstalk, adjustable wow and flutter, and adjustable tape delay, which can be used for Automatic Double Tracking effects on vocals, guitars, and more.

In Use
The primary use for Ampex ATR-102, and the recommended method for “demoing” this plug-in, is as the last stereo insert on your master fader (or possibly the second-to-last insert before a brick-wall processor such as the UAD Precision Limiter). Set up the plug-in by first adjusting Tape Speed, Tape Formula, Cal Level, and Emphasis EQ, or simply select a preset. Note that as you lower the tape speed (i.e. 15 IPS, 7.5 IPS), the tape “sound” becomes more audible. Once this basic setup is made, adjust the L/R Record (input gain) levels for more or less tape/circuit coloration and saturation.

Other common uses for the Ampex ATR-102 are as individual mono or stereo insert effects, or as an auxiliary group effect where the user wishes to apply it only to specified sources or groups (e.g., drums, guitars, etc). Check out the ATR-102 Tips and Tricks blog article below to learn more.

Link : Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In - Special Processing - Store
Old 1st September 2011
Administrator

Video

Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

OMG

I just bought two of them.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
I'll have to demo this to see if this subtlety is something I can't live without. I'm kinda more excited about the SPL Vitalizer. The stereo spread on that thing is worth the price of admission.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Que bella! Downloading as we speak...even we didn't get a sneak preview of this in action! Can't wait to play.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Keen to hear what folks have to say about this next to the Studer & MPX - do I need another tape plug?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

There is already a UA "Tips & Tricks" for the ATR-102:

Tips & Tricks – Ampex ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder - Blog - Universal Audio

I must say I am pretty impressed with how deep UA went the ATR-102 emulation. It seems all the bases have been covered and then some.
Studer A800 on my track inserts and the ATR-102 on the mix bus. Woohoo!

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 1st September 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorG View Post
Keen to hear what folks have to say about this next to the Studer & MPX - do I need another tape plug?
I see the MPX name has been changed to KMT "Kramer Master Tape" Plugin.
All mention of Ampex seems to be gone also.

Graham
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm curious. Wouldn't a 1" tape machine running at 30ips have a fairly subtle sonic imprint?

The whole thing is interesting. I'm excited to try it.

I expect it to be quite subtle.

Subtle is good.

- c
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
I see the MPX name has been changed to KMT "Kramer Master Tape" Plugin.
All mention of Ampex seems to be gone also.
I imagine with the Ampex endorsed UAD ATR-102 being released, Ampex made a call to Waves to cease and desist or face some legal consequences. Waves was smart enough to do the right thing before the lawyers got involved.
Although, it does make Wave look foolish and unprofessional in the meantime. You can't just go blatantly using an established companies trademarked name, photo's & good reputation for your own profit and plug-in sales without said companies written approval and not expect to be challenged. I am actually quite surprised Waves thought they could get way with it, while they claim their own rights are being violated daily by pirated software. Kinda ironic when you think about it. Sometimes karma has a way of biting you in the butt.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

$350 for the studer and another 350 for the ampex? When everyone's cutting down on prices, it seems way too much for either...

I quite like the waves one, so I'm not sure if it will make much sense getting this one as well...
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Sigh. I wish UA were native, i really do not want to fork out another £1200 (the quad - i want to be able to run the studer on a load of tracks with this on the master) on a card which will be underpowered in a short time. I've been there with the original UAD-1 and Duende (had to have two duendes) and don't want to get caught up in that mess again.

Plus, the Waves MPX really doesn't too what i wanted it to do - i find it harsh. This looks great, from what i can tell in the UA video posted above. UA are killing it
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I'm curious. Wouldn't a 1" tape machine running at 30ips have a fairly subtle sonic imprint?

Subtle is good.

- c
I own this 1" tape machine in my Avatar.It is a Tube 1".

30 is barley doing anything...if anything.

15 is really nice snare's get less pointed and the low end is a bit rounder and a bit fuller...nothing wildly glaring or night and day yet it is one extra something something.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

$350 is expensive IMO also. I would have thought UA would release it at an intro price.

Did Waves really use the Ampex brand without approval? Or did they only sign a 6 month agreement!
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standstraight View Post
OMG

I just bought two of them.

if you are being facetious, that was really funny.

if you are not being facetious, that was really funny.

crunchy,

jchristopherhughes
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

Subtle is good.

- c
Subtle at $349? I know, I know...I'm a whiner. It all just seems to be a never ending story - another patchbay, a new Gretsch, a new sub, V-control, blah blah...My wife hates me.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Did you guys actually watch the video or click and read the link? It can do 30ips, 15, 7.5 and even 3.25, with all sorts of different tapes. It can be anything but subtle.
Old 1st September 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
........ another patchbay, a new Gretsch, a new sub, V-control, blah blah...My wife hates me.
heh
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
Did you guys actually watch the video or click and read the link? It can do 30ips, 15, 7.5 and even 3.25, with all sorts of different tapes. It can be anything but subtle.
30ips, 15, 7.5 and even 3.75
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

waves who?
UAD does it again, yeah sure 350 might be too much for some but I really think it's worth it
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Just downloaded the update and now my mac won't recognize my ilok2...WTF
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_Variations View Post
$350 for the studer and another 350 for the ampex? When everyone's cutting down on prices, it seems way too much for either...

I quite like the waves one, so I'm not sure if it will make much sense getting this one as well...
I agree. The 99$ price tag on the waves is at least affordable.
Seems to me that UAD are starting to become elitist priced.

No matter how good, at this price I will have to pass.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

It's cheap compared to the hardware.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsux View Post
Exactly.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Subtle at $349?
I didn't mean subtle as a pejorative. I meant it positively. Subtle as in graceful, difficult to detect, hard to define but still present, etc.

It would be weird if this plug-in wasn't subtle.

In pro audio (as in wine and food), subtle is often where the good stuff is!

- c
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Exactly.
but has zero resale value
Old 1st September 2011
i think i'll just wait for my ATR 102 to arrive from Mike Spitz at the end of the year
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearsux View Post
Yes, but then again, it isn't the hardware, is it? It's also not the only tape emulation device out there, itb or otb.

I'm a big fan of UA plugins, and I own as many as possible - but these prices are kinda ridiculous... Much like ssl duende or steinberg's rupert neve stuff.
I have no problem with pro gear being expensive, but I find no plausible justification for these prices if not the usual 'because we can' defence.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

i love it.to my ears music through this plug in really sounds like a "record"
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search