The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
True but as an engineer you need to be the best with the gear you have. Focus on your studio, and getting clients. Don't be so consumed on the latest plug in that is coming out every month. That causes you to waste your energy on things that are not as important. Check on new gear once every quarter, not everyday. Don't spend endless hours on the forums everyday. It's an addiction to many who can't stop being on the forums all the time
some of the greatest engineers of our time have been serious gear heads. ampex tape ITB is not like dropping another eq. You do what your situation calls for and let others do what they do. No mandates from you necessary to tell people what they should be doing.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I demoed this and think it sounds great in its own right...def adds a nice something to the mix....

But i already have the Studer so i messed around trying to get them sounding the same..roughly... to see whether i really need this as well..

Relieved to find my answer was.... at $350 probably not as that would mean between the Studer AND this i woulda spent $700 which is capable of buying a lot more for me i feel..another UAD card perhaps? To run more instances of what i have already!

Still it is nice... but i can manage to get a nice tape vibe with the Studer on tracks or using it on the mix as a whole.... it is pretty flexible...

Yeah, i know its not modelled on a mastering tape machine but it imparts enough vibe and none of em sound like real tape....

And yes i am familiar with the sound of real tape...

Zz.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

You actually can get similar results with the "right" EQ and compressor i mean. Just to clarify!
But you can get in the same ballroom at least with any EQ and compressor. It will take a LOT more time though than just smacking the Ampex on and load your favorite preset

But the Ampex is rather good at what it's doing. Like it better than Studer anyway. So maybe it's not a spitting image of the original, but it's better than most tape plugins IMO. And to take advantage of this month's sale you MUST buy one of the new plugs and at least one other. That's a lot of money :(

/R
Old 8th September 2011
MediaMix
Excellent as usual from UA
Old 9th September 2011
Amazing job! Expensive as all the latest stuff from UA. But it do the trick. Love 15ips with bias set to 3'o'clock - nice rounded transients, definition in mix and low-mid punch.
Will do mastering sessions today with this new toy.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

2nd demo video with lots of transients!

I felt the official UA promo lacked a bit of an adequate audiosource to show the real potential of the emulation.
So I did a quick and dirty demo using a drum comparison video that I did a year ago: Lots of peaks to round out in the drums, clean guitar and bass - I also show the chorus (wow & flutter) and tape delay effects from 3:47 on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-RR0...e=channel&hd=1

Best wishes,
Andreas
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveminister View Post
I felt the official UA promo lacked a bit of an adequate audiosource to show the real potential of the emulation.
So I did a quick and dirty demo using a drum comparison video that I did a year ago: Lots of peaks to round out in the drums, clean guitar and bass - I also show the chorus (wow & flutter) and tape delay effects from 3:47 on:

Best wishes,
Andreas

That is a well done demo video of the plug-in in action. I initially listened to it on some cheap laptop speakers @360p, but it was not until later when I listened again on my control room monitors @ 1080p that I could really appreciate the subtle & not so subtle comparative differences the ATR-102 gave the music material, as various presets were auditioned and the plug-in was bypassed/unbypassed.

Nice job Andreas!

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

great demo & drum play
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I was very skeptical then I demo'd it .... Another UAD hit.
This is a must have for me....
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Awesone job Andreas.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah great job, thanks for the vid.

Dyam - I like that plug...
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Andreas,

Thanks. Nicely done.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Excellent demo Andreas, not to mention the top notch drumming!
Old 10th September 2011
SEB
Lives for gear

Don`t want to be a party booper but when listening on my studio monitors the drums and the bass attack get sucked out and the drums/bass starts pumping. The punch comes back in bypass. Some of the bottom end sounds nice though from the sim.

But for the most of it I liked it the best when the red light was on. A 7.5 IPS thing sounded ok.

Good demo!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ugh...

The more i demo this...the more i reach that horrible yet warm feeling realisation that i will probably end up buying this...

Despite what i posted earlier in this thread..the more i use it and delve deeper in to the controls..the more i like what it can do...

Kinda wish i hadn't bought the Studer in a way cos this on the master gives enough tape vibe to go around and do enough... Studer on many tracks uses a LOT of available UAD2 card resources..

Studer on master can fake the funk pretty well! But this is made for that purpose and actually it shows...

The big question is now...

Can i hold off until coupons or a sale..... last coupon didn't even get used as i have nearly all i want from UA past...

Loyal customer 100 buck coupon of new products would swing it!!! lol

Looks like the waiting game for now...

Great plug though...

Zz.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agzilla View Post
Ugh...

The more i demo this...the more i reach that horrible yet warm feeling realisation that i will probably end up buying this...
Me too. 5 days of the demo left. The more I use this, the more
I love it.
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

i demoed this plug when it came out, yesterday i paid for it....simply,it kicks ass.
i use it on each of my stems summing into a dangerous 2 buss. its night and day between my mixes with and without the plug. it definately softens the highs(depending on the settings) and adds and gels the bottom end in a way i couldnt before....not for the lack of trying. it also thickens up the lower mids in a beautiful way. my 2 cents
Old 11th September 2011
I just bit the bullet and got 2 more Solo Flexi cards. $1258 with 10% off store sale, $1000 in vouchers, plus $498 in coupons, plus the 30% off 2 or more plugs when you by the Ampex, BX, or SPL. $1991 worth of plugs and 2 UAD cards for $1258.

The wife still doesn't understand.

The Ampex is simply amazing.

I mastered an ambient electronic single last night with the Ampex and it was very easy to work with.

I am mixing a full length pop punk record starting next week and if I can get permission from the band I will post before and after soundclouds asap.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I didn't want to like this plug-in either. I've already got the Waves MPX which I like a lot. Not comparable models that they're emulating, fair enough, but I really like the UAD plug-in - a lot. It just seems really effective as a fast and very sweet sounding solution for the 2-bus.

I don't think I can justify the expense at this point (to myself or the wife!) but it's tempting - damn you UAD - a very nice plug-in. Great work.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm sure the plug is good, but what I what to hear is how it compares to a real (reel) ATR 102.

Anyone?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

i've bought it, after demo'ing for ten days. My mixes sound better with it on, what could I do?!! I didn't want it to go away...
Old 11th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digibear View Post
I'm sure the plug is good, but what I what to hear is how it compares to a real (reel) ATR 102.

Anyone?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/maste...ransients.html
Old 11th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digibear View Post

Anyone?
Well, I have not installed UAD 6.0 yet and have not tried this plug-in myself, but most of the sounds in that video that grooveminister so kindly provided do not closely resemble what my ATR 102 sounds like. Not that it's bad sounding, just not what I expected to hear. There is a more hyped bottom end, and a pumping effect that I never ever hear with my machine. Tape doesn't pump. A few of the presets in the video were closer to what I'm used to hearing, but sorry I didn't note which ones. When time permits I will demo it, do some comparing and report back. 'Hope this helps a little.

J~
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Demoed it.... And i like the effects it was capable of just not sold on the mastering section ....... I guess I was expecting another jump in glue and goodness like when I first got an API 2500 across my 2 buss. Gonna keep AB testing it and get some other studio geek friends to listen I guess it's possible I may not hear it.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB View Post
Don`t want to be a party booper ...
Good demo!
+1

good demo. But the plugin doesn't do a lot of magic.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Andreas, that demo shows your awesome playing on a classic groove, but though I ingest a lotta UA plugin crack the ATR plug is not making me jones that much. This coming from a former Ampex MM1200 owner...tho I mastered to an MCI JH 1/4" machine, so I don't have the complete analogy in my auditory history. That said I'm in the middle of the 14 day demo having just upped to a Quad card UA 6 so I'm now capable of hearing first hand the new DSP hogs that UA is releasing. It is just not doing much for me and IMHO when I think your demo is bypassing the ATR I like it better. Snappy and crisp and no sanded off edges. Guess I like digital splinters I love the fact that UA is trying to add to the arsenal, but for some of us old school analog guys I say: let bygones be bygones. Now the Lexi 224 is another story...fairly awesome to me, just waiting for the next discount crack code =

Rage on Andreas...love your groove!
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

I`ve been doing a listen test in my studio during last week. I`ve invited some of my friends (musicians, sound guys and just people). Everybody were sayng different things (because they are different people of course) but each one was sayng that sound is pleasure so they wanna to listen this music because of sound. Chain was UAD Bx Brainworx > UAD Ampex ATR > UAD Precision Limiter...
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arichlsss View Post
Demoed it.... And i like the effects it was capable of just not sold on the mastering section ....... I guess I was expecting another jump in glue and goodness like when I first got an API 2500 across my 2 buss. Gonna keep AB testing it and get some other studio geek friends to listen I guess it's possible I may not hear it.
Different strokes I guess. I hated the API2500 on the master buss; it choked the mix even on the lightest setting. On drums it was nice. The UAD Ampex is way more euphonic to me and opens things up nicely.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Different strokes I guess. I hated the API2500 on the master buss; it choked the mix even on the lightest setting. On drums it was nice. The UAD Ampex is way more euphonic to me and opens things up nicely.
I agree completely. Got sick of my API pretty fast. Loved it at first, then
realized it was too much, even at modest settings. Made everything more
mid-rangy, honky. Thought it was okay on drums, didn't blow me away.
i liked it on guitars more than anything else.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
Andreas, that demo shows your awesome playing on a classic groove, but though I ingest a lotta UA plugin crack the ATR plug is not making me jones that much. This coming from a former Ampex MM1200 owner...tho I mastered to an MCI JH 1/4" machine, so I don't have the complete analogy in my auditory history. That said I'm in the middle of the 14 day demo having just upped to a Quad card UA 6 so I'm now capable of hearing first hand the new DSP hogs that UA is releasing. It is just not doing much for me and IMHO when I think your demo is bypassing the ATR I like it better. Snappy and crisp and no sanded off edges. Guess I like digital splinters I love the fact that UA is trying to add to the arsenal, but for some of us old school analog guys I say: let bygones be bygones. Now the Lexi 224 is another story...fairly awesome to me, just waiting for the next discount crack code =

Rage on Andreas...love your groove!
Gotta say I grew up on tape so should feel like "home" but I agree, I liked the drum demo far better without the tape sim...

TH
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search