The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Oh my God. Please stop analyzing the damned promo video.

- c
OK....ill stop studying the promotional material if you buy me the product!
of all the artists in the world why use a Robert Plant track and seek to bring tape warmth to his recording with a plugin?
you got to turn me on to make me want to clear my debts and buy this thing?
all i wanna do now is be robert plant...with no plugins at all...woof !...scruffydog!
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
I expressed my opinion (on another forum) on how different lexicon emu is sounding to real unit and i preferred original because their plugin is metallic sounding and degrading original signal (imo).
I heard the same and couldn't believe my ears when I saw that video. They clearly put a lot of work into making them and then use an example with such an obvious difference. In the ATR-102 video, I hear some kind of constant mid-range "hum", but only in the emulation. Could be just an EQ difference.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I would be very into tape emulation but I mixed down to this recently and was very pleased.

TC-D5
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

BTW I think in the demo video in the first AB they had the wrong settings. I listened and heard on the real tape machine the stereo image gets wider. In the end section of the video they show the plug in again and the stereo image is the same. I also could be wrong and in the end they show the plug in with the real tape machine enabled, that would be a big mistake by the people who made the video.

If this plug in just takes you 80% the way to a similar sound its OK but expensive.
I still use simple and stupid tape style harmonics out of a simple and stupid cheap plug in and I am done.

I cant believe that someone can simulate the behavior of the tape-material itself to many variables that would require endless code.

To me its an expensive tape style harmonics generator.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Guru

sorry but the video is the only example we have and on my hi res headphones and studio monitors I'm hearing a difference.

I'm not buying the dsp box to demo the product.
if someone has the real deal and the UAD I'd love to hear it in person.

I'm looking at the Clasp system for my old machines .
have the anamod which is the closet I've heard so far in a tape sim.
believe me, I would much rather use a plug [that sounds right] than buy a
[UGH] 7.5 k plus clasp system/upkeep machines/tape e right now.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

At the end of the day UA have never been a bargain basement plugin company ,they pride themselves on endorsing the best in the industry and that comes with a price tag to boot !But.... the plugin market is fiercly competative
IMHO i'm not sure how long they can carry on winning with under powered 32-bit cards and pricey brand name offerings
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Guru

I have no problem spending the money on these plugs if they sound right.
1.4k for the quad dsp and another 350.0 sounds like steal compared to the real hardware alternatives.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
I'm not going to get caught up in all this tape hype...I just desperately want a great Manley Vari-Mu and a Retro Sta-Level...
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
sorry but the video is the only example we have and on my hi res headphones and studio monitors I'm hearing a difference.

I'm not buying the dsp box to demo the product.
if someone has the real deal and the UAD I'd love to hear it in person.

I'm looking at the Clasp system for my old machines .
have the anamod which is the closet I've heard so far in a tape sim.
believe me, I would much rather use a plug [that sounds right] than buy a
[UGH] 7.5 k plus clasp system/upkeep machines/tape e right now.
I don't think you are being unreasonable, but I think what would be more satisfying is if someone posted 24/96 soundclouds of musical and transient rich (not heavily compressed already) source material printed against this thing at various levels of gain, etc.

Wouldn't that be more satisfying for those of you who want to see what the character of this thing is without buying a UAD2 system?

So... can someone do that? Make a public Soundcloud set at high-res, so people can download and listen.

This seems like the obvious next step, right?

Analyzing the Robert Plant mix (which was tracked to tape and therefore already has that characteristic ingrained) on a lo-res promo video... is probably not the most efficacious approach. Y'know?

- c
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Silver,

Thats a good idea. Someone post ITB 24/96 files, and someone else post them processed with Ampex, anamod, and the plug, and whatever we can find.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

i'm using this in conjunction with VCC on a mix, and I like it

adds glue, high-end air and i'm compressing less throughout

As to whether it sounds like the real deal or not... I could care less.

I'm a writer/producer and want to get to my monitor mixes happening quicker. This seems to help!

(disclaimer: I'm no UAD fanboy so have no agenda. Their format sucks. But some of their plugins are great, so I have a Duo to use the odd piece on busses, returns, master etc)
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, audio in an HD 1080p video can actually be pretty damn high res.

And again - i don't think UA put the comparisons on the video for people to not talk about it
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

If UAD puts out a video, engaging us to buy it, im pretty sure that they checked the settings more then one time This was the best they could manage!
You should want to buy the product immediately after you seen the movie, that's what its all about really!

They are not making plug-ins just to be nice to people you know.

/R
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Look, you guys can continue to analyze the video as much as you want, I guess. I was just expressing my personal boredom with the topic.

I think what I'll do is check out of this thread and come back later when people have had a chance to use it and get a feel for how it responds to their own work.

I imagine the main thing that would be cool about this thing is keeping it on the mix-buss and mixing into it, knowing how it is responding the whole time. And having the opportunity to react to that.

That's what seems cool to me about this technology. Also, the opportunity to switch tape formulations and other settings so quickly.

Age of wonder, age of wonder.

- c
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

but say...it was a diet regime...and the before and after pic showed the client became larger...fatter and not thinner....what would you say if i questioned the photo?
At the end of the day you can 'mix into' anything and it will do something....this is supposed to sound like tape...but i remember tape feeling warm and missing it when i launched into the digital world many years ago (adat).....does this thing really feel like tape did?
let me know when you have tried it!
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
30ips, 15, 7.5 and even 3.75
yeah, but can it do a cassete tape in 1 7/8? hehe
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by taturana View Post
yeah, but can it do a cassete tape in 1 7/8? hehe
Well, it is capable of all kinds of neat lofi sounds.. with Flutter/wow included!

With the parameters available, coming up with various C-casette tones is a breeze Add some automation and noise floor expansion, coolness.

I think this is a really versatile plugin.. from subtlety to all out 7IPS underbiased grime tones. Listening to those few seconds of audio in the promo vid gives a really limited idea about the possible applications of this 'un IMVHO. I regret going for the A800 earlier, this was the one I wanted all along..

Back to demoing the thing... Good times!
Old 3rd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
Isn't that a purpose of Video? To show what product can deliver.
Yes, but it's not for detailed audio analysis.
There is a proper demo for that. Of course you have to own the card or hardware to try the demo. But I doubt anyone would buy the UAD system only to use this ATR plug when there are EMT, Manley and Studer you can use as well.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymdis View Post
You certainly can "cheat" bigtime with a plugin. Had this discussion with Softube, who actually has their office only 5 minutes from where i live Talked about their version vs UAD's of the Trident A-range, and why they differ so much as they do.

There are lots of tricks that can be used, so why not take advantage of them? People are easlily fooled.

But to recreate the mojo of a real hardware unit takes a litte more than that im afraid.

/R
You guys are breaking my heart!

I hope your happy now:(

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Yes, but it's not for detailed audio analysis.
There is a proper demo for that. Of course you have to own the card or hardware to try the demo. But I doubt anyone would buy the UAD system only to use this ATR plug when there are EMT, Manley and Studer you can use as well.
I just bought a card,got the emt free.

If I would've own it prior to my purchase,they would've gave me the massive passive or A800 or a 250 dollar voucher if I previously owned all the promo Plugins.

I'm thinking of buying a second card b4 Sept 31 just to get the massive passive,but first I'm going to demo it and put it up against the precision eq.

My only issue with UA is similar Plugins like 2 tape emu's and 5 reverbs all claiming to be better the the next.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

So.... what are we comparing again?

UAD Ampex ATR-102: 1/4" to 1" custom
Waves Kramer Master Tape (formerly MPX, which sounds better IMO): 1/4" only

Two different devices, different heads/tapes, modes.
Fair comparision? I'm not so sure.

Why not throw in Sknote Roundtone (also down to 7,5IPS) or Nomad Factory MAGNETIC (down to 3,75IPS) as well? And while we're at it, what's with CDSoundMaster's VTM-M2 (or his Nebula Presets)?

There are so many options out there as of late, do we really need to compare them if they even can't be compared directly?

I don't really get this. Back in the day, tapes were hated, expensive (for both the studios and the clients), hard to maintenance. And now we want all the same limitations with all it's bad sides from yesteryear again. Say it's "the one and only thing to do". Yet we want 96+kHz sampling rate and beyond 24bit recording bitdepth.

Just a little bit contradicting, no?

Do I want to get this plugin?
If I had an UAD, maybe. Though I'm more aiming at the Studer - if ever (only due to the noise mode, tape switch capability which no other plugin has, and "link mode" - which RoundTone being a close runner-up). And half of the UAD plugins are available in native form in one way or another now as well.

To be honest (and yeah, laugh at me if you will), I'm happy with my Grundig TK-747 4-track 1/4". Keeping that thing in good shape is as hard as it gets.

Still, as usual from UAD:
- interesting concept (multi-tapes and heads)
- though CPU usage and price are an unpleasant negligibility

Competition is good for the business.
I hope we can at least agree on that end.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Fox View Post
Back in the day, tapes were hated, expensive (for both the studios and the clients), hard to maintenance. And now we want all the same limitations with all it's bad sides from yesteryear again.
Its the chase for that slightly saturated, compressed, stereo melted, softened transients, enriched harmonics, "album" sound, that happens to be elusive when working in the digital world.

I would buy a tape machine if it wasnt for all of the limitations (and noise) it brings. I want that sound though, or some of that sound, or a device with a mix nob where I can adjust, hey, 35% tape blend?

Based on what I read on gearslutz only, the winner so far is Anamod. In the digital domain, maybe Nebula plus some impulses.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Haha, i watched the Lexicon 224 video now for the first time. Yikes, that was even worse actually. That type of ringing is NOT in the original which is much smoother. If it's worth anyting, this was much "better". So they are on the right track anyway. Maybe in a few years they actually manage to NAIL something

Lexicon is unusable, this one at least doesnt ruin things for you. Maybe useable as a "cool" effect or something. But if you want REAL tape warmth, get the hardware! Or any other hardware that can give you that. Or use impulse responses! Much better, and probably cheaper too! It's not by chance that most studios have tons of hardware.

$50 and i would definately have bought it. The Ampex that is, not the Lexicon 224 reverb
Get the Relab's Lexicon instead!

But UAD do have some really good plug-ins, it's not that. But some of them seems to be made in haste just to cash in the money :(

But at the end, do we really need tape warmth? Well, as everything is now digital i think we actually do. I was at my brothers house a few weeks ago and had bought himself a record player. A bit old but had good reviews. It happened that he actually had the same album both on CD and vinyl, so we compared them of course. It was night and day difference i can say. The vinyl was MUCH more pleasing to listen to. Had a warmer, fullier bass and overall an "analog" touch that the CD didn't had. So i think we need some warmth in this digital world. Making everything inside the box will make the outside cry for warmth!

And UAD's Ampex is on the right way!

/R
Old 4th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymdis View Post
Haha, i watched the Lexicon 224 video now for the first time. Yikes, that was even worse actually. That type of ringing is NOT in the original which is much smoother. If it's worth anyting, this was much "better". So they are on the right track anyway. Maybe in a few years they actually manage to NAIL something
Based on a YouTube video. OK.

Quote:
But UAD do have some really good plug-ins, it's not that. But some of them seems to be made in haste just to cash in the money :(
Based on what actual evidence? Please don't say viewing a YouTube video.
I made a video for one of my drum software products.
I exampled the difference between two different mic set ups on the drums.
It was just to give people a vague impression of what we'd done. I would never expect someone to download the video audio and assume the video audio equaled the actual product.
Like UAD, I never claimed the audio in the video was equal to the sound of the product.
The option seems to be..... don't make videos, or if you make videos, don't give anyone any idea how the product sounds or how different settings make the audio change.
tutt
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Like UAD, I never claimed the audio in the video was equal to the sound of the product.
Wait... wait. So UAD is not claiming thats how the plugin sounds?

They can solve all of this wondering by posting better / more audio examples and comparisons on their website.

I was just browsing for some comps and endep up listening to 68mb of high quality .wavs on the elysia´s xpressor 500 website. Pretty informative. Now I "know" what the compressor sounds like and nobody can blame youtube for messing with it.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
Ugh...nerds...

heh
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

Wouldn't that be more satisfying for those of you who want to see what the character of this thing is without buying a UAD2 system?

So... can someone do that? Make a public Soundcloud set at high-res, so people can download and listen.

This seems like the obvious next step, right?
100%
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Ugh...nerds...

heh
yurp
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut
I have been demoing it for a few hours and it sounds GOOD.
Old 4th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOHAMI View Post
Wait... wait. So UAD is not claiming thats how the plugin sounds?
No, of course not. Not in a studio/audio context.
It's just a teaser promotion.
Or do you master you final mixes to online video???????????>?>
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search