The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Guru

I certainly want to like this plug.
like Chris stated,obviously its not a great way to audition software via youtube,etc[I won't buy an expensive DSP box just to hear the thing]
..but first impressions after hearing the real machine vs plug A/B in the video [multiple times-Grado headphones] I definitely heard a less 3D depth/flatter thing when going back to the plug.
initially not impressed.
I'd still be curious to hear it in person vs a real ATR .
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Just judging from the video the difference is there all right. The hardware is fullier and a bit warmer than the plugin. When they switch from hardware to software something is missing clearly. Not saying that the plug is bad or anything, it's just not 100% there. They are "similar" but that where it ends. This is my personal opinion anyway, and if you can't hear it, maybe someday you will...

Maybe i change my mind after testing the actual plugin, but i doubt it. In most cases the hardware WILL sound better!

/R
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
So you're critiquing a professional product based on the audio file of a compressed demo video?
I said that the Ampex destroys the UAD emulation IN THE VIDEO.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I tried it. Already having the UA Studer and Waves MPX, I'll pass.

I'm currently transitioning from both HD cards and UAD2 cards to fully native, no dsp cards, ITB setups. If UA would have dropped a Distressor or Manley Vari-Mu then maybe.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Guru

I can't wait to see the blind a/b tests when these golden ears get to step up to the plate.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Guru

i'd love to hear a proper high quality blind A/B test
who's gonna have the plug and actual machine and step up?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
i'd love to hear a proper high quality blind A/B test
who's gonna have the plug and actual machine and step up?
Yep that would be priceless.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I can't wait to see the blind a/b tests when these golden ears get to step up to the plate.
I wish UA would've had the balls to secretly flip flop the machine/software in the video - see if everyone thought the "hardware" sounds SOOO much better...what do you want to bet they would've?
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
I wish UA would've had the balls to secretly flip flop the machine/software in the video - see if everyone thought the "hardware" sounds SOOO much better...what do you want to bet they would've?
until we get a high quality test just for kicks,someone could snag the audio from the video and do a blind A/B here?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

the only true a/b test is to use the demo in your own space. A couple of a/b tests on GS lately have been a little dishonest. the ua ampex is nice. i prefer the studer and already have the waves which I love when I mix into it. no sale on this one.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
the ua ampex is nice. i prefer the studer and already have the waves which I love when I mix into it.
The Waves is very nice, but I never end up using it. Not its fault, just nature of my workflow. Decided to put it up for sale in the GS classifieds.

I haven't had a chance to download the UA ATR 102, 'cause I am having technical problems with my UA Solo laptop card --- I'm sure it'll get straightened out quickly, UA are good with support --- but I am definitely excited to try it when this matter is resolved.

However, I doubt it will stop my pining away for mixing at the Magic Shop through their wraparound Neve and printing to 1/2" ATR with NOS EMTEC 900 purring along at 15 IPS ---

--- Whoa! Lost myself there. Sorry everyone had to endure me fantasizing in public like that. Unsightly.

- c
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
The Waves is very nice, but I never end up using it. Not its fault, just nature of my workflow. Decided to put it up for sale in the GS classifieds.

I haven't had a chance to download the UA ATR 102, 'cause I am having technical problems with my UA Solo laptop card --- I'm sure it'll get straightened out quickly, UA are good with support --- but I am definitely excited to try it when this matter is resolved.

However, I doubt it will stop my pining away for mixing at the Magic Shop through their wraparound Neve and printing to 1/2" ATR with NOS EMTEC 900 purring along at 15 IPS ---

--- Whoa! Lost myself there. Sorry everyone had to endure me fantasizing in public like that. Unsightly.

- c
Just make sure you wipe up the mess you made.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes, that is possibly what happened.

It is also possible that, though we like to imagine warring fiefdoms, neither of these companies cares about the other so much.

- c
That would be pretty naive, don't you think? I am sure you know what terms like these mean: marketing, market share, target audience, packaging, sales dpt, press relation...

These corpos are a business first, having to pay their people, and therefore are always on the fence, constantly working on monetizing everything they can and better than the competitor if possible ... Aes, namm, see them parade year after year...

Oh yes, They care a lot.
Old 3rd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith View Post
If they didn't want that to happen, they wouldn't have created the comparison in the video
It's just a taster, something to pique your interest.
It isn't critical audio for professional analysis.
The sound on YouTube is generally awful.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

I've checkad once again in our studio and the difference is there for sure. The plugin is similar though and sort of Ampex'ish

But if they thought that this plugin would stand a direct comparison, what about all the other plugins they made? Were they not good enough?

And even though the sound quality may not be the best, it's the same for both of them. It's enough to spot the difference anyway.

But it's a good plugin! Better than most actually. But i don't like the "new" price-standard that UAD has started. It's it enough that we already bought an UAD2 card? That should be taken in consideration i think. They can't have the same prices as native plugins.

/R
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Typical uad plugin with a beautifull gui that makes it a bit louder and some fq adjustments to fool people into thinking it's some magic = CHECK. Comparing it to the real tape on that video well that was a bit of a joke because not only did it sound way off but I can do the same thing with other free tape plugins and it will sound similar just like the uad similar So they use the term emulation that's fine, successful emulation no.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbas View Post
Typical uad plugin with a beautifull gui that makes it a bit louder and some fq adjustments to fool people into thinking it's some magic = CHECK.
You certainly can "cheat" bigtime with a plugin. Had this discussion with Softube, who actually has their office only 5 minutes from where i live Talked about their version vs UAD's of the Trident A-range, and why they differ so much as they do.

There are lots of tricks that can be used, so why not take advantage of them? People are easlily fooled.

But to recreate the mojo of a real hardware unit takes a litte more than that im afraid.

/R
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

The most funny thing on UAD site is a comment from some guy (probably some famous producer or something) under Neve EQ and he said that he has that exact EQ in his studio, the hardware one, but he always gets back to software one from UAD because it sounds better. Which idiot would believe that? :/
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomcore View Post
The most funny thing on UAD site is a comment from some guy (probably some famous producer or something) under Neve EQ and he said that he has that exact EQ in his studio, the hardware one, but he always gets back to software one from UAD because it sounds better. Which idiot would believe that? :/
If he prefers the software than that's his prefference, even if he thinks it's better than the hardware or whatever different people like different things. I think the real question is why does he still have the hardware if the software is better to him and also it just could have been that the cheque made him say that.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

It's funny when you read the "Reviews" of the Ampex. These were out the same day the plugin was released. How did they have the time to fully test it against their own hardware? Did they receive an early beta version of Ampex or what?

/R
Old 3rd September 2011
tried those AMPEX on electronic dance mix (both 4x4 and dubstep-ish).
sounds different than ITB
Compared with A800 it has more character and color.
But personaly I dont like it's very squashed and "compressed" sound.
However, client wanted those tape sound from me. And he get it.
IMHO it is not worth 350$ (150$ definetely yes), but it is a UA "politics" about all those new stuff... I will not buy it (and A800).
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymdis View Post
You certainly can "cheat" bigtime with a plugin. Had this discussion with Softube, who actually has their office only 5 minutes from where i live
Can you provide some details about what they said?
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
Can you provide some details about what they said?
I really can't go into details, sorry. They didn't comment that much about UAD's version, for several reasons i guess.

But they said that their last version, 1.1.2 was spot on! And i believe them, they had the original hardware there when they made the plugin. And as UAD's version differ quite a bit, a lot more forgiving and sweeter sounding, especially on the high frequencies, well...you do the math

But many will choose the more sweeter one! Oh, it's soooo smooth, even when i boost like 9dB at 10k. Softube's version is more harsh, yuk!

But i personally rather take the "original" sound more than a sweet sounding artificial made Eq.

UAD is better at "hyping" their products though, i'll give them that

And once again, there are MANY ways to cheat when programming a plugin. You really can do wonders with a "hidden" Eq

/R
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

mm...well...not a great demo...are they trying to sell robert plant records or a tape sim?
never mind the plug...i would buy the track!
curiouser still as my internet speaker is a simple and much loved
Tivoli Audio radio 'aux in' (mono)
and this speaker is warm with a bit (perhaps A LOT!) of open port bass end with a sparkle to the top end and detailed warm (another word for dull !!) mids....when the demo's ''plugin IN'' message appears...it all gets less warm and more brittle on the top end and the vocal is ruined?...i much prefer the ''plugin OUT'' sound here......CONFUSED?....I AM!
UAD really need to find a better demo...sticking with the Waves MPX for now..as i really DO want an AFFORDABLE tape sim option!
THE HEAVY PRICE MAKES THIS A NO BRAINER AND unfortunately A NO PURCHASE...FOR NOW!

This platform is very good....and i want to see this inovation...but the ''price tag'' will kill me...
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

The more i listen the more obvious becomes the difference. The hardware is actually sounding "like a record", whilst the plugin lacks depth, smoothness and that "expensive sound".

Just listen to the snare for example. A bit brighter and more forward in the plugin version, but with the hardware just "sits" better in the mix . It sort of blends in much much better and becomes a unit with the rest of the instruments. This goes for many instruments, but it's very easy to hear on the snare.

So listen ONLY to the snare. A tip!

And don't fall for all the great graphics. You pay for the sound in the end, don't you? And the price it tooooo much as already stated. Even on sale many people still can't afford it :(

/R
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Oh my God. Please stop analyzing the damned promo video.

- c
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I think the plugin sounds a bit claustrophobic compared to the hardware in the video. The plugin sounds more compressed and less open. The bass sounds different too, more weight in the real one, the plugin seems more low mid-ish. Just had a quick listen with sennheiser hd 380 headphones so ...
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

- c
Sorry. Got my tail between my legs now.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:

- c
Isn't that a purpose of Video? To show what product can deliver. Since video is coming from company which made it it was expected that they'll try to do their best to show product in full glory as much as it is expected that people will judge it from that very same video. It just happened that people don't like that particular example. At least it seems so.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Well, as this video is, for me anyway, the only clip i have how a real Ampex sounds like i think that it's pretty fair to to comparisons between them. I want to know what im buying anyway. If that ever happens...

/R
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search