The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In
Old 2nd September 2011
  #61
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Yes! It's very nice! I like it a lot. Only thing I can't stand is those 3d knobs that aren't very clear since they have perspective shift in the delineations. What were they thinking there?
Hate that too... Softube also does that cosmetic bs , just annoying
Old 2nd September 2011
  #62
Lives for gear
 
kelvyn's Avatar
I'm still trying to get my head around this tape simulation 'is it a hype or not' question.
Back in the day tape was a necessary evil used to capture musicians performances... most engineers at that time where not so enamored of the process or the technology and wished for a cleaner less artifact filled recording which is why Dolby was developed to kill the noise created by the act of recording to tape. I think I understand what we are trying to get back from those days, but isn't it more about sample rate and how we cut out the frequencies (the air) that tape captured that we now lose by not capturing all those frequencies (air) that digital recording excludes? Tape emulation is never going to give us back those missing frequencies if they are not there to start with.
I get the saturation thing... riding the faders into red etc but I'm really not too sure about tape emulation. Can somebody put me straight and explain what the advantages are? There are many other ways to warm/distress/soften/transient signals without using a tape emulation... or?
Old 2nd September 2011
  #63
Gear Addict
 
VasiliZaitsev's Avatar
 

The hadware ampex has definitely more punch then the uad ampex,
but it`s still a very very nice plug in! The Highs are superb.
I love the openness, the Air & the nice punchy glue Effect.
Old 2nd September 2011
  #64
Lives for gear
I can't wait to try them

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 2nd September 2011
  #65
Gear Nut
 
Annalogatta's Avatar
 

WOW, It really sounds GOOD!!!
Starting saving up some cash now...
Old 2nd September 2011
  #66
Gear Addict
 
nicogrubert's Avatar
 

Another tape plugin? I already bought the Studer and I am wondering why I should spent 349,- again on another tape plugin.

I think, the next UAD plugin I will buy is a vst instrument.
Old 2nd September 2011
  #67
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

The thing is, when the Studer thing dropped, a lot of people started putting it on the mix buss, despite the "flaw" in the "logic." (Putting those words in quotes, 'cause music is art and art has no rules.)

It was baffling to me at the time --- why would you print your whole mix onto two thin tracks of a 24-track 2" tape? --- but this plug-in's utility is designed to address exactly this usage.

So I would think that most people who have the Studer thing and like it would want this thing as well. They go together peanut-butter-and-jelly style. This is presuming you're trying to make a fantasy analog simulacrum mix.

- c
Old 2nd September 2011
  #68
Lives for gear
 
YOHAMI's Avatar
 

the real ampex totally destroys UAD´s on the demo video
Old 2nd September 2011
  #69
Lives for gear
 
dxavier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOHAMI View Post
the real ampex totally destroys UAD´s on the demo video
I think this is the second or third time I have seen YOHAMI say something like this to stir things up. Mmmmmmm.

Well, as much as I completely disagee with YOHAMI and I do have a decent enough pair of monitors to hear any significant difference, I cannot but help feeling that we are all getting a little bit too obsessed with tape emulations?

While I do not question the price at all, as if you want a tape sound, hell, $349 is alot cheaper and less stressful than buying, storing, maintaining and using the real thing, but come on guys, has every great record in the last twenty years gone through a tape machine and if it has, specifically an Ampex or Studer? I just question what we are aiming for? Were our ITB mixes poor 12 months ago before the studer plugin?

I just think the sound of alot of great records isn't just down to the tape machines that may or may have not have been used, but a ton of other elements, such at the room dynamics, the mics used in recording, the desk, the outboard and God knows what else. The impression that you will stick a tape emulator and replicate that "sound" just doesn't add up, not unless you have all the other bits too!

Ps, I love UAD and have most of their plugins, but to think that I need a tape emulation before my mixes will sound right, just doesn't add up to me and to think that I can replicate my favourite records of all time and get that "record" sound that everyone is referring too, with this plug alone, just makes me think, I am glad it is Friday and I don't have to take this all too seriously.
Old 2nd September 2011
  #70
Lives for gear
 
YOHAMI's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
I think this is the second or third time I have seen YOHAMI say something like this to stir things up. Mmmmmmm.
Maybe Im an troll undercover?

I wanted to love it. Im always checking what does tape do whenever I get a reference, and I have an anamod or a portico sim box on my buy list. I also have UAD2. I have some Nebula tape sims too. So, I wanted to love this one and save money.

Listening on the HD8000. The recording, for starters, sounds vintage already without the plugin enabled. I wonder why didnt they pick a more modern track, but oh well. So the plugin disabled has this digital flatness to it. With the plugin enabled, it gains something. Theres a nice texture and a subtle compression that unifies things, so, cool. Then they put the Ampex and damn, the level goes down, so I had to compare carefully. Ampex sounds duller at first listen and less stereo separation, but its mostly a level thing. Paying more attention back and forth, Ampex is unifying the track drastically. The voices are melt with the instrumentation and the stereo imaging changed. Left and right came closer, and more upfront, and the sound is more "mature". The texture is a very subtle sheen that embodies the track in a halo. Back to the plugin, and I cant listen to it anymore.

Then the video moves forward to the 15. and 7 and 3.5 settings. Very quickly. All I hear in these 5 seconds is some serious audio degradation. Is this what tape does? what do I know.

It would be really cool if someone posted some modern sounding rock / pop / hiphop files with the different settings, so we can appreciate things more.

UAD should have these kind of audio demos up.
Old 2nd September 2011
  #71
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOHAMI View Post
Maybe Im an troll undercover?

I wanted to love it. Im always checking what does tape do whenever I get a reference, and I have an anamod or a portico sim box on my buy list. I also have UAD2. I have some Nebula tape sims too. So, I wanted to love this one and save money.

Listening on the HD8000. The recording, for starters, sounds vintage already without the plugin enabled. I wonder why didnt they pick a more modern track, but oh well. So the plugin disabled has this digital flatness to it. With the plugin enabled, it gains something. Theres a nice texture and a subtle compression that unifies things, so, cool. Then they put the Ampex and damn, the level goes down, so I had to compare carefully. Ampex sounds duller at first listen and less stereo separation, but its mostly a level thing. Paying more attention back and forth, Ampex is unifying the track drastically. The voices are melt with the instrumentation and the stereo imaging changed. Left and right came closer, and more upfront, and the sound is more "mature". The texture is a very subtle sheen that embodies the track in a halo. Back to the plugin, and I cant listen to it anymore.

Then the video moves forward to the 15. and 7 and 3.5 settings. Very quickly. All I hear in these 5 seconds is some serious audio degradation. Is this what tape does? what do I know.

It would be really cool if someone posted some modern sounding rock / pop / hiphop files with the different settings, so we can appreciate things more.

UAD should have these kind of audio demos up.
A bit semi offtopic. I had same feeling on their Lexicon take. I expressed my opinion (on another forum) on how different lexicon emu is sounding to real unit and i preferred original because their plugin is metallic sounding and degrading original signal (imo). I also said that i think that their audio video examples are cleverly manipulated with no real gain matching (their plugin is always louder we all know what that means to majority - better) and with non objective content (read they always choose complex already polished mixes).

Long story short i was lynched and called troll and UAD hater (i have UAD2 duo). Same as you LOL
Old 2nd September 2011
  #72
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOHAMI View Post
With the plugin enabled, it gains something. Theres a nice texture and a subtle compression that unifies things, so, cool. Then they put the Ampex and damn, the level goes down, so I had to compare carefully. Ampex sounds duller at first listen and less stereo separation, but its mostly a level thing. Paying more attention back and forth, Ampex is unifying the track drastically. The voices are melt with the instrumentation and the stereo imaging changed. Left and right came closer, and more upfront, and the sound is more "mature". The texture is a very subtle sheen that embodies the track in a halo. Back to the plugin, and I cant listen to it anymore.


This is what I hear as well - the real tape has a unifying effect far beyond the plug in this example. The plugin sounds good when in isolation, but compared to the real deal it is not as sweet at all to my ears....
Old 2nd September 2011
  #73
Gear Addict
 
LonDonsen's Avatar
 

Ladies and Sheeple

Please download this video below, extract the audio track, load it into your DAW, bring up the volume a few dB on the "Plug-In Disabled" track so that it's level matched to the "Plug-In Enabled" track and do a 6-8 dB hi shelf-boost at 10khz.

I did it, and it sounded almost identical! How often do you guys wanna get fooled again by simple loudness differences?

UAD = United Arsehole Dorks UAD = Useless Audio Devices UAD = U Are Dumb


Old 2nd September 2011
  #74
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Clever acronyms there. I'm sure the people who work at UA are gonna be sobbing all weekend.

I'm a little unclear why people focus on the demonstration videos like this.

It comes with a 14-day demo. Why not just download it and check it out?

I say this at the risk of sounding like an Arsehole Dork.

- c
Old 2nd September 2011
  #75
Lives for gear
 
The Beatsmith's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Clever acronyms there. I'm sure the people who work at UA are gonna be sobbing all weekend.

I'm a little unclear why people focus on the demonstration videos like this.

It comes with a 14-day demo. Why not just download it and check it out?

I say this at the risk of sounding like an Arsehole Dork.

- c
Well not to defend the post above yours, but i for one don't have a UAD-2 to start off with, so that's one reason. I think UAD owners 'forget' that they've already invested like £1200 for a UAD-quad when they use the 'try it out first' line
Old 2nd September 2011
  #76
Gear Nut
 
Annalogatta's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOHAMI View Post
the real ampex totally destroys UAD´s on the demo video
Haha, No it doesn't!
Does the hardware sound better in this example? Sure!
But you have to listen close. And if you have to A-B them more then 3 times to hear the difference, well then i guess that 'totally destroys it' doesn't really qualify, does it?

Just demo it if you can and try to not to smile when you start tweaking!
This is a very nice plug-inn...

Cheers
Old 2nd September 2011
  #77
Lives for gear
 
YOHAMI's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalogatta View Post
And if you have to A-B them more then 3 times to hear the difference, well then i guess that 'totally destroys it' doesn't really qualify, does it?
3 - or more times to know what to listen to, then its like a watermark and it cant be hidden anymore.

Not saying its not a nice plugin - I havent even tried it. Without comparing to a real Tape machine here my opinion about the actual plugin is pointless. So Im just opinating about what I hear on the video.

If someone has the patience to post real, uncompressed on / off tests with both the plugin and the real Ampex, that would settle the issue. UAD should be providing these comparisons on their website for each one of their plugins. Some manufacturers do.
Old 2nd September 2011
  #78
Lives for gear
You both are haters! I hate you back! Omg stop it stop now stop it Roiiight now!

I can't take this....


Lol you guys have the right to tell your stories, especially because you own the product,as I do as well.

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 2nd September 2011
  #79
Lives for gear
 
noiseflaw's Avatar
 

My UAD beefs aside...

I demo'd the Waves and eventually passed after my initial excitement - because as a couple of others pointed out it seemed quite harsh sounding, especially on the mastering settings - which was where I wanted to use it most.

I did not have enough time to mix through it from the start of a song and did not think that was a good idea anyway. I just wanted to slap it on a mix in the mastering stage and here some mojo - but try as I might it just made my mix harsher sounding; although I loved the way it compressed and tamed the transients. To solve it, maybe I should have just applied eq after the plug, but that seemed whack.

I would like to try the UAD but cannot because it would cost me too much to buy into the platform. Pity because I thought the Waves one might be the one... let's hope Waves or some other Native company delivers another one more suited to mastering.

For what it is worth, I levelled matched the audio from the UAD demo and the Plug was remarkably close to the hardware - which kinda irritates me more.

Softube anyone?...
Old 2nd September 2011
  #80
Lives for gear
 
Tube World's Avatar
The reason they came out with this plug in is to go after Waves, plain and simple since Waves came out with a Ampex plug in.

I love my UAD Studer plugin, and for mastering I use the GP9 tape at 30 ips or 15...depending on the music. It does what I need it to do at the mastering stage. I don't need to spend more money on plug ins that duplicate what I already have. Sure there might be a slight difference, but common guys it's getting out of hand with sooo many similar plug ins. If you are a good engineer, we dont' need countless tape plug ins. The Studer is all we need, and if you want a little more flavor, get the Waves Ampex or what ever it's called these days. This UAD Ampex I will clearly stay away from, not because it does not sound good, but because I already have the tools I need. Save your money for something that you really need.
Old 2nd September 2011
  #81
Lives for gear
Well crap...it does a perfect "Solsbury Hill" guitar with one of the Ainlay presets...might have to get it for that alone...can't seem to duplicate it.
Old 2nd September 2011
  #82
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
The reason they came out with this plug in is to go after Waves, plain and simple since Waves came out with a Ampex plug in.
No, the partnership was in the works before the Waves thing was brought to market.

Also: the Waves thing is a WHOLLY DIFFERENT vibe. It's waaay more antique than the ATR 102. Unrelated product.

Also, the Studer's great, but this is an important fact: It is modeled after a multi-track 2" tape, not a mixdown deck. So if you use it on your mix, it's like mixing down to two tracks of a 2" 24-track. In the real world, you would never do this. I keep trying to point this out to people. The ATR 102 is modeled after 1/4" 1/2" and even 1" (!) mixdown decks.

It's a significant fact not to be overlooked. It's not a minor detail.

- c
Old 2nd September 2011
  #83
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
So if you use it on your mix, it's like mixing down to two tracks of a 2" 24-track. I keep trying to point this out to people. The ATR 102 is modeled after 1/4" 1/2" and even 1" (!) mixdown decks.
Interestingly, a friend of mine described ATR as sounding more aggressive than Studer. I found it strange, but maybe initial settings are too dramatic.
Old 2nd September 2011
  #84
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
The reason they came out with this plug in is to go after Waves, plain and simple since Waves came out with a Ampex plug in.

I love my UAD Studer plugin, and for mastering I use the GP9 tape at 30 ips or 15...depending on the music. It does what I need it to do at the mastering stage. I don't need to spend more money on plug ins that duplicate what I already have. Sure there might be a slight difference, but common guys it's getting out of hand with sooo many similar plug ins. If you are a good engineer, we dont' need countless tape plug ins. The Studer is all we need, and if you want a little more flavor, get the Waves Ampex or what ever it's called these days. This UAD Ampex I will clearly stay away from, not because it does not sound good, but because I already have the tools I need. Save your money for something that you really need.


UA announced the Ampex partnership long before the Waves MPX came out. It's more like Waves saw that and tried to trump UA's fire before they could get it out.
Old 2nd September 2011
  #85
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
UA announced the Ampex partnership long before the Waves MPX came out. It's more like Waves saw that and tried to trump UA's fire before they could get it out.
Yes, that is possibly what happened.

It is also possible that, though we like to imagine warring fiefdoms, neither of these companies cares about the other so much.

- c
Old 2nd September 2011
  #86
Lives for gear
 
The Beatsmith's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseflaw View Post
My UAD beefs aside...

I demo'd the Waves and eventually passed after my initial excitement - because as a couple of others pointed out it seemed quite harsh sounding, especially on the mastering settings - which was where I wanted to use it most.

I did not have enough time to mix through it from the start of a song and did not think that was a good idea anyway. I just wanted to slap it on a mix in the mastering stage and here some mojo - but try as I might it just made my mix harsher sounding; although I loved the way it compressed and tamed the transients. To solve it, maybe I should have just applied eq after the plug, but that seemed whack.

I would like to try the UAD but cannot because it would cost me too much to buy into the platform. Pity because I thought the Waves one might be the one... let's hope Waves or some other Native company delivers another one more suited to mastering.

For what it is worth, I levelled matched the audio from the UAD demo and the Plug was remarkably close to the hardware - which kinda irritates me more.

Softube anyone?...
Yeah, i think i should have demo'd the waves more before i bought it - i think i got caught up in the excitement. It just sounds a bit harsh and i can't understand why everyone can't see this. The noise/hiss is nice though.
Old 2nd September 2011
  #87
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOHAMI View Post
Maybe Im an troll undercover?

I wanted to love it. Im always checking what does tape do whenever I get a reference, and I have an anamod or a portico sim box on my buy list. I also have UAD2. I have some Nebula tape sims too. So, I wanted to love this one and save money.

Listening on the HD8000. The recording, for starters, sounds vintage already without the plugin enabled. I wonder why didnt they pick a more modern track, but oh well. So the plugin disabled has this digital flatness to it. With the plugin enabled, it gains something. Theres a nice texture and a subtle compression that unifies things, so, cool. Then they put the Ampex and damn, the level goes down, so I had to compare carefully. Ampex sounds duller at first listen and less stereo separation, but its mostly a level thing. Paying more attention back and forth, Ampex is unifying the track drastically. The voices are melt with the instrumentation and the stereo imaging changed. Left and right came closer, and more upfront, and the sound is more "mature". The texture is a very subtle sheen that embodies the track in a halo. Back to the plugin, and I cant listen to it anymore.

Then the video moves forward to the 15. and 7 and 3.5 settings. Very quickly. All I hear in these 5 seconds is some serious audio degradation. Is this what tape does? what do I know.

It would be really cool if someone posted some modern sounding rock / pop / hiphop files with the different settings, so we can appreciate things more.

UAD should have these kind of audio demos up.
I noticed the exact same thing, but in this case the louder (plugin) didn´t even sound better than the real thing.

UA are very cunning, but also some other companies also with their subtle loudness boosts.
Old 2nd September 2011
  #88
So you're critiquing a professional product based on the audio file of a compressed demo video?
Old 2nd September 2011
  #89
Lives for gear
 
The Beatsmith's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
So you're critiquing a professional product based on the audio file of a compressed demo video?
If they didn't want that to happen, they wouldn't have created the comparison in the video
Old 3rd September 2011
  #90
Gear Maniac
 

Software UAD Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In

Anyone experiencing any latency issues?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump