The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Yeah, the UAD pricing is obviously over the top.
I`ll pass on this one for sure, as I got the Waves MPX.
I dont care what name it has as long as it does what it`s supposed to.

and I really like what it does as I am using it.....
....instead of a comp or limiter on the busses to catch some peaks
....to radically scuplture sounds
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey1 View Post
but has zero resale value
Who buys plugins to resell?
Old 1st September 2011
Ampex is definately amazing! Rich, full, warmer sound with solid punch! Delay with wow & flutter!
BUT! It's too expensive for DSP based platform.

Well, let's wait until Softube will make tape-sim plugin.
I will buy it, that's for sure.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wo1 View Post
Well, let's wait until Softube will make tape-sim plugin.
+1
I really hope they'll do this one day.
Old 1st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
i think i'll just wait for my ATR 102 to arrive from Mike Spitz at the end of the year
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Well - I don't know if it's UAD that's the problem. I downloaded UAD 6 and Neyrinck V-Control. I tried to start PT9 and it wouldn't authorize - which lead me to figure out that my ilok2 wasn't being recognized. It flashes when I plug it in, but then doesn't have the blue light any more.
The ONLY solution ilok offers is to reset the default browser security settings - which I did. Still not recognized. The next step lead me to this.
$30 for the ilok protection warranty
$100 for "expediency" charge and temp licenses
$0 for a new ilok ($16 shipping)
BUT
Since VCC only works on ilok2, I was forced to go ahead and buy another ilok2.
So - I'm almost $200 in the hole for an ilok I was sent from Slate. It has never moved out of the USB slot and has lasted a grand total of around 4 months. Absolute bull****.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
As for the Ampex...

Damn - there are so many options, I'm not sure this will help me or help me totally screw up a mix. My initial reaction is that it's a little overwhelming. I could see using the wow and flutter as an effect, but never on the master. Having never used one, I need to dig in a little more.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Well - I don't know if it's UAD that's the problem. I downloaded UAD 6 and Neyrinck V-Control. I tried to start PT9 and it wouldn't authorize - which lead me to figure out that my ilok2 wasn't being recognized. It flashes when I plug it in, but then doesn't have the blue light any more.
The ONLY solution ilok offers is to reset the default browser security settings - which I did. Still not recognized. The next step lead me to this.
$30 for the ilok protection warranty
$100 for "expediency" charge and temp licenses
$0 for a new ilok ($16 shipping)
BUT
Since VCC only works on ilok2, I was forced to go ahead and buy another ilok2.
So - I'm almost $200 in the hole for an ilok I was sent from Slate. It has never moved out of the USB slot and has lasted a grand total of around 4 months. Absolute bull****.

Looks like you just got the infamous Blue Light of Death. Mine just gave out the same way last weekend. Just got the replacement back. Cheap Chinese ****. The old ilok seemed a lot more resilient.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Just downloaded the update and now my mac won't recognize my ilok2...WTF
the best way to force you to pay for useless UAD version of your ilok native plugins version

heh
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Looks like you just got the infamous Blue Light of Death. Mine just gave out the same way last weekend. Just got the replacement back. Cheap Chinese ****. The old ilok seemed a lot more resilient.
Did you have to pay all the damn fees?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Did you have to pay all the damn fees?

If you are still within warranty (which you are) you don't.
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
People who can't afford the hardware?

Edit: Woo look at me - 1 post... sorry, long time lurking.

:-)
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

OMG! This thing does work some serious magic! Had to hear what the fuss is all about for myself but I'm affraid my accountant is going to have to deal with another investment receipt.

Tried the Waves Ampex, Tried the UAD ATR-102 but there really is no comparison between the two. Waves sounds like a gimmick compared to the UAD! Too bad the UAD doesn't have the input/output compensation though...

Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Let me be the first of many to ask...

If you could only afford one, would you get the Studer or the Ampex? Anyone here tried both yet?

I recognize that they seem to be intended for different uses, but let's say for the sake of argument that your wallet won't let you have them both....
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vank View Post
Waves sounds like a gimmick compared to the UAD!
Yeah sure. Those Waves noobs. Bob Olhsson Noob. And all those other noobs that were involved. Are you even aware that completely different machines were modeled?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
I see the MPX name has been changed to KMT "Kramer Master Tape" Plugin.
All mention of Ampex seems to be gone also.

Graham
Does that make my MPX a vintage plugin then? heh
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Honestly, I think I like the Studer better...
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
If you are still within warranty (which you are) you don't.
FINALLY found the warranty section hidden on the site. I am under warranty, but I still will have to pay the Zero Downtime fees if I want to use any of this stuff before they send me another one. So, basically out of my $160, I will receive the $49 "recovery fee" back. Still ****ty. Plus, I couldn't use my ilok1 because Slate VCC won't work - so, out another $50 bucks for another ilok2 for the interim.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

This is one seriously flexible plugin. The most flexible tape sim I have ever used. Definitely gonna grab this!
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
This is one seriously flexible plugin. The most flexible tape sim I have ever used. Definitely gonna grab this!
Yes! It's very nice! I like it a lot. Only thing I can't stand is those 3d knobs that aren't very clear since they have perspective shift in the delineations. What were they thinking there?
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
FINALLY found the warranty section hidden on the site. I am under warranty, but I still will have to pay the Zero Downtime fees if I want to use any of this stuff before they send me another one. So, basically out of my $160, I will receive the $49 "recovery fee" back. Still ****ty. Plus, I couldn't use my ilok1 because Slate VCC won't work - so, out another $50 bucks for another ilok2 for the interim.

If you can wait I'd forego the ZDT ****. It only took 3 days for me. Sent ilok back on Monday. They immediately sent a replacement ilok. Got the ilok on Wednesday and they recieved mine the same day and I had replacement licenses in my account that evening.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dealers. heh
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
Dealers. heh
Haha. Technically, I don't think they really "buy" them. And hey, great job on Driven Machine Drums man! I use 'em all the time.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
This thing sounds a lot more "round" than the Studer. Which could be cool in certain circumstances. I find that I like the way the Studer accentuates the top and the bottom on the master (obviously depending on settings) more to my liking...It could just be that I'm not as familiar of how to get what I want out of this.

Couple of things:
-I don't hear the differences in tape as much as in the studer

-What do the heads do? I'm not really hearing anything.

-Should I find the "punch" and over all sound that I like and then fiddle with the eq to get the high end where I want? Or - should I leave the eq'ing for EQ?

-Do people often use delay on the master? I was switching around the presets and thought a couple of delay presets sounded pretty snazzy.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

how is the price ridiculous? $600 or even $500 would be ridiculous. considering the market, in general, this doesn't strike me as being outlandish at all. and i think this will be born out in sales for the company.
it's just hitting the area in the upper margins that people are paying right now. there's no reason to expect them to price their new plugs at the market's average. i've always felt their pricing was right on for what they deliver. i don't even know if i want this or not, but i'm not gonna plan on buying for at least 6 months or a year, until a good promotion comes up. maybe get this and the Lexicon for 20% or 30% off then. there's no reason anyone needs this right now. it didn't exist yesterday, why do u need it now?

and essentially, i'm not a person that's all pro-corporate. i don't think companies have rights and, really, i was raised and still live in a world where 'they' are the enemy. so it's not that i'm just biased towards padded profit margins or anything. UA honestly, in reality, does not charge an exorbitant or unrealistic amount for any of their products. even the cards/'dongles'. this plug is priced at exactly what i would have guessed if you asked me last week. $399 would have surprised me. but if u look at their recent price strategies, why would anyone be shocked at this? be realistic about this stuff, man. if u wanna actually make any real-world difference in your feedback, remember that coming off like an idealistic kook who just posts that everything is too much money these days just makes u easier to disregard entirely.

UA really does keep up a certain quality in what they put out that makes them stand apart from a lot of their competition. i would be devastated right now if someone just came and erased them from my set up. not just cuz of reliability and being accustomed to using them, but cuz , not necessarily that they are always the best at every possible ting, but, in general, their whole line offers a better option than others. they really are great. why shouldn't their stuff be priced on the higher end of the spectrum?
and keeping in mind too, i bet, most of their customers aren't officially 'professional'. it's project studios and just even people who love making music after they get off work and already got their money coming in a different way, but they just love music, love writing it, and want it to sound good. and these people are able to justify spending that much for their plugins. if any is ever claiming that they are a professional recording engineer and can't afford UA's products then there's something wrong with them.
(and i'm not talking at anyone in this thread, specifically, i just mean in general)
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

and i don't mean that i think somethings wrong with anyone trying to make a living recording music that can't afford a plug like this.

i know very well that when u are starting stuff up or just on the borderline between making a profit or not, that a plug like this makes a huge difference. but i'm coming from a place where, if that's the case, then why do u need this plug-in?

and i realize too that most people posting about it costing more than they think it's worth are only saying exactly that. and that makes sense to me. i'm very potentially one of those people too. but i was trying to answer or speak against the mindset of people who feel that the price is crazy and unbelievable. and that difference of opinion will just be shown clearly over time cuz of the market system we live in. it just sounds whiny and falsely entitled to me.
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Ha! I'm laughing at whatever post it was that thought this thing was limited to "subtle." Check out the sun-baked cassette or whatever that preset is called. That's about as subtle as axe murder. And it sounds exactly like what it says! Not that I'd use something like that on a mix bus, but just to give you an idea of the RANGE this thing actually has!

Couple of things, vs. the Studer plug-in:

1) More robust at "normal" settings, because you're talking about a track width of 1/8" to 1/2" per side. The Studer would have been more like 2mm per track - even on 2" tape! So the Ampex is nowhere NEAR as easy to clip. This thing seems to like being hit hard. Must have a masochistic streak.

2) The delay is really nice, and it allows a L/R offset, which makes for some turn-your-head-inside-out crazy delays.

I think they nailed this machine's W&F, and at the default levels, I'm pretty sure that's part of what's helping to "sell" the sound of analog from this thing.

But so many things - the modeled transformer/head hysteresis, the tape granularity, the transient absorption, the harmonics/noise, the signal path modeling, the complexity, the whole gestalt of the hardware seems to be there - all these things working together to pull this off.

On 2 bus, using the Ultralinear presets in the mastering folder, I'm hearing better definition, more defined imaging, a more pleasant high end, and a little more richness - kind of exactly what I always liked about the sound of tape.

Guess I won't wear out 14 days making up my mind, eh?
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Could anyone post a short clip of the "consumer tape" setting, and how extreme the wow and flutter can get? I'm sure the more normal settings sound great, but I'm really curious about the wow and flutter, as I haven't found a plug-in yet that will do that that works on my set-up.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

is anyone willing to post comparison files here?
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vank View Post
OMG! This thing does work some serious magic! Had to hear what the fuss is all about for myself but I'm affraid my accountant is going to have to deal with another investment receipt.

Tried the Waves Ampex, Tried the UAD ATR-102 but there really is no comparison between the two. Waves sounds like a gimmick compared to the UAD! Too bad the UAD doesn't have the input/output compensation though...

It has. the record knob, when cranked, can be compensated by lowering repro the knob. Calibration can also compensate a high input ( check tips and tricks + manual)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search