The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In
Old 8th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Hi Tony,

Most plug-ins are cross-platform. Which DAW/plug-in format are you using?

Any of them can handle as many tracks as you have the processing power for in your PC, as you insert 1 instance on each track or bus. The better sounding ones tend to use more DSP.

The ATS-1 has 2 channels.

You can hear some of them here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...sed-files.html

J~
Dear Trakworx,
I only have "Sadie" which of course I use for mastering.
I have never used a DAW as they call it but I like to learn the moderne way things are done.
And maybe for education purposes invest in a system.
So in other words one can lock the amount of tracks their DAW PC can cope with, and with most Simulators apply the Tape treatment to all tracks, and then due to being in Sync place them back into the DAW exactly as before but now having recieved the treatment.

It seems that Dave's Anomod is more nearer to real tape than others, so if I should invest into an Anomod will it lock up to a DAW, or even "Sadie" in order to to keep evrything in Sync, or does one record to their DAW through the ATS-1 System.

Many thanks for your help, sorry I'm requesting more info, but I do find it very interesting, being almost Anologue only through out my career,

Funny but there are certain aspects that I love about digital, one thing I have discovered with Sadie is that I would also use it synced to my multitracks, as sometimes I wanted something to be up front in the Mix without being loud, Digital accomplished this for me for obvious reasons when put into Sadie and then bounced back onto the Tape master.

Best Regards

Tony.
Home
Old 8th January 2012
MediaMix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arny View Post
As the "Anamod ATR-1 is a stand-alone unit how many tracks can this handle at a time.
anamod is a stereo unit (2 tracks at a time). Insert it just like a compressor or eq.
Old 8th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaMix View Post
anamod is a stereo unit (2 tracks at a time). Insert it just like a compressor or eq.
Dear MediaMix,
Sorry to appear a little dim, are saying you record through it to a DAW or does it actualy insert into the DAW, using software and either "Firewire or USB, or is it used externally as a totally seperate unit.
If so I assume it is mainly used as an insert to mix through as you would a comp or is inserted into a Desk or Mic-Pre in order to record to your DAW.

Again if so, can you lock it up to a DAW or "Sadie" in order to carry out further overdubs later, or is it a matter of recording onto a DAW and then adjusting this new track later to be in sync with whatever is already recorded.

Many Thanks,

Best Regards

Tony
ww.arnys-shack.com
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

here will answer your questions

anamod ats1
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
damn you alll !! i'm trying to not buy an uad card cause i'm strapped with all they have in native format .....but this tape thing is making me curious ....the waves mpx is great here but never on my 2 bus ....and all your reviews are .....

do you mixe in or put it after mixing decisions ?
You can use it in different ways, but I think it´s good to mix in it. It glues the mix a little bit so you can go lighter with the bus compression, if you want. You can however seriously alter the tone of the mix, depending of the settings. It´s also a problem solver, if your mix sounds muddy, a couple of tweeks on the Ampex makes it´s sound really clear and polished. It´s also good at getting that nice, classic bouncy bass, if that makes sence.
Old 8th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
here will answer your questions

anamod ats1
Good review but never mentioned syncing for further overdubs.

The Rupert Neve version also sounds interesting anyone know of a review on the Neve and is it able to Sync to a DAW.

Best Regards

Tony
Home
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good review but never mentioned syncing for further overdubs.

The Rupert Neve version also sounds interesting anyone know of a review on the Neve and is it able to Sync to a DAW.
there is no syncing. you do not sync a compressor or eq either. it is an outboard piece like those. that article shows you exactly what it is. just patch it on your 2 bus or track your instruments through it (in chain after preamp).
Old 8th January 2012
Quote:
Dear Trakworx,
I only have "Sadie" which of course I use for mastering.
I have never used a DAW as they call it but I like to learn the moderne way things are done.
And maybe for education purposes invest in a system.
So in other words one can lock the amount of tracks their DAW PC can cope with, and with most Simulators apply the Tape treatment to all tracks, and then due to being in Sync place them back into the DAW exactly as before but now having recieved the treatment.

It seems that Dave's Anomod is more nearer to real tape than others, so if I should invest into an Anomod will it lock up to a DAW, or even "Sadie" in order to to keep evrything in Sync, or does one record to their DAW through the ATS-1 System.

Many thanks for your help, sorry I'm requesting more info, but I do find it very interesting, being almost Anologue only through out my career,

Funny but there are certain aspects that I love about digital, one thing I have discovered with Sadie is that I would also use it synced to my multitracks, as sometimes I wanted something to be up front in the Mix without being loud, Digital accomplished this for me for obvious reasons when put into Sadie and then bounced back onto the Tape master.

Best Regards

Tony.
Home
With tape simulators there is no recording and playing back of the audio to the virtual tape. They work in real time as processors, so in a DAW a tape sim plug-in is simply inserted on a track just as an EQ plug-in would be. ATS-1 is used like an outboard processor to either track through, or insert on a DA/AD external loop from a DAW, or insert somewhere in a mixing console signal path.
Old 9th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
With tape simulators there is no recording and playing back of the audio to the virtual tape. They work in real time as processors, so in a DAW a tape sim plug-in is simply inserted on a track just as an EQ plug-in would be. ATS-1 is used like an outboard processor to either track through, or insert on a DA/AD external loop from a DAW, or insert somewhere in a mixing console signal path.
What he said^^^

Arny, I would recommend getting one of the DAW's (Pro Tools is probably the standard, although I believe REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits is around 40 pounds). The easiest alternative to finding out what these plugins sound like is probably the Waves Kramer Tape plug at waves.com. You can download it over the net for about 65 pounds.

You could load in an example track of any recording and then apply the plugin as an "insert" (not physical, but putting it on the selected track in the mix window.) Then pull up the plugin and you have the option if tweaking the "tape". This one is supposed to be an Ampex.

In my experience, I've found the UAD Studer and ATR102 to be better, but that requires buying a dedicated UAD-2 card for your PC Tower or dedicated UAD Firewire box ( UAD-2 Satellite DUO - Firewire DSP Accelerator | Universal Audio )

I've been very impressed with the Slate VCC which is a virtual console emu too. Looks like they're coming out with a Tape emu as well - I would imagine it will be very good.
Old 9th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
I'm not buying anything UAD until after whatever the next show is....they sent an email saying to watch out for some big news coming...
New dsp coming with usb 3 support and pc support ...is that enought for you...?

This is not a secret ....
Old 9th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
What he said^^^

Arny, I would recommend getting one of the DAW's (Pro Tools is probably the standard, although I believe REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits is around 40 pounds). The easiest alternative to finding out what these plugins sound like is probably the Waves Kramer Tape plug at waves.com. You can download it over the net for about 65 pounds.

You could load in an example track of any recording and then apply the plugin as an "insert" (not physical, but putting it on the selected track in the mix window.) Then pull up the plugin and you have the option if tweaking the "tape". This one is supposed to be an Ampex.

In my experience, I've found the UAD Studer and ATR102 to be better, but that requires buying a dedicated UAD-2 card for your PC Tower or dedicated UAD Firewire box ( UAD-2 Satellite DUO - Firewire DSP Accelerator | Universal Audio )

I've been very impressed with the Slate VCC which is a virtual console emu too. Looks like they're coming out with a Tape emu as well - I would imagine it will be very good.
"Good Morning" Everyone,
It was late here in France when I finally re-tired, so the my brain which normaly runs at 75%, last night while posting it must have slowed down by another 50% or more.
I was so used to using Tape, + smpte with "Sadie" it never crossed my mind that the Anomod ATS-1 is a straight through appliance so therefore does not require syncing and can be used for overdubbing to ones hearts content.

While understanding that the ATS-1 is a standalone unit with plenty inside , there seems to be a heck of a price differance between the ATS-1 and the various other choices of Plug-ins etc, I will also look into the price of the Neve version.

I am most grateful for all the help I have had here, I'll maybe post what is finally chosen, which will be myself and other "Larger Eared" younger friends.

Bearing in mind that the ATS is said to be the closest thing to real tape, part of the ATS-1 review mentions that there is a change in the Frequency Response when the bias pot is adjusted, does this happen at both ends of the spectrum, also does anyone know what the Bias frequency is, or does it change frequency depending on the chosen tape machine
i.e
One should see 100kHz for the 350 card, and about 432kHz for the ATR102.

Thanks again,

Best Regards

Tony.
Home
Old 9th January 2012
Lives for gear

Does anyone have any experience with comparing the results of the Fatso on the 2buss compared to the Ampex?
Old 27th January 2012
Lives for gear

They sound completely different. I've been using the Ampex for three weeks now and I'm in awe, I'm working of a film soundtrack with a lot of laid back brushed drums, broody piano, lazy double bass, eerie synth effects... placed on the master buss after a bit of SSL compressor what it does to each cue is phenomenal, at first it might sound subtle and then you realise you could't do without it.
My Revox PR99 has been relegated to special effects and looking pretty. Mixing on real tape when you might have to do twenty revisions of each track is out of the question, and the sheer good sound and versatility you can get from this plugin is just fantastic.
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

I LOVE the plug in... I would like to use it as properly as it gets - not just listening what sounds good, but using it like people use HW - searching for tips and tricks or tutorials about that... Any hints where to start?

I noticed it works magic for cleaning the midrange build-up even on unmixed or poorly mixed material - is that tape compression, bias settings as they should be or is this a plug-in "gimmick"?

It scoops the mids if there is exaggerated build up there. Is this what this machine really did to audio - balancing it out so dramatically or is this a plug-in setting thing?

That's also why I want to learn to use it as guys used their HW in the past... not to do some gimmicky thing, but to virtually "print to tape" and at least really know what am I doing with different settings, not just listening what sounds good to me.

I only used real Revox B77 machine, but with all the extra options on Ampex and different tape formulas I never had a chance to explore, etc. this can hardly compare...

This plug-in is THE ****!!!
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

Still amazing!
Old 10th April 2012
Lives for gear

I really don't see this EVER leaving my mixbus
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

I finally bought it, I've only run it in demo, but it was too hard making mixes sound as good without it. The Ampex can be very subtle, but IMO it gives that extra push over the cliff that makes mixes sound like records.
Old 18th May 2012
Lives for gear

are any of you guys using this ATR-102 plugin on every track/channel? I wonder how that would sound.
Old 18th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0 View Post
are any of you guys using this ATR-102 plugin on every track/channel? I wonder how that would sound.
I find that to be too much. I have used it on drum bus a few times in addition to the master. Usually once on the master is enough.
Old 18th May 2012
Gear Nut

I sold a card with all my plugs to fund an Apollo...(I ended up going back to a Symphony). I ended up buying a Quad and getting the plugs that I really used a lot. I mixed a couple things without the UA plugs, and while it still sounded good, I really missed the tape stuff, Fatso and the verbs. The Fatso is just great on the drum bus. Love turning the tranny on (aka, the Travolta effect) and then using the HP SC so the kick isn't compressed. Using the new 1176's on snare (Vance Powell settings are great)...
I'm waiting on the Slate VTM, but the UA Studer is really nice on the drum bus and bass. And the Ampex seems to widen and punch on the master. The EMT 250 just seems to fit on everything too.
Mixing is a lot quicker with this stuff.
Old 27th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
I really don't see this EVER leaving my mixbus
Agree!!
Old 27th May 2012
Sold my tape machine that I would print my masters to because I needed the cash. After using this plug in on a few mixes I feel confident that this sounds better and is a great tool for the two bus! Very happy!
Old 23rd October 2012
Here for the gear

just brought the plug, awesome!!! BUT........

the wow /flutter fonction in the plugin UAD Ampex ATR 102 causes aliasing distortion effect at fs rates superior than 48kHz.

it's very very annoying for a pricey plug in!!!!

Anyone noticed that????
Old 4th May 2013
Lives for gear

Are you guys still using it? Anyone uses the plugin on a dance/trance/techno bus or master fader?
Old 4th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by erol View Post
Are you guys still using it? Anyone uses the plugin on a dance/trance/techno bus or master fader?
It's fine on anything but can really alter the sound/eq of a track if you want it to. I recommend scrolling through the presets assuming you demo it. I've been using the Slate vtm more mostly because there are less parameters and it seems to do less to the sound. I think you can demo that as well.

Sent from my iPad
Old 5th May 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by erol View Post
I bought it when it first came out and still use it on most mixes including dance and pop. I tend to mix into it as I find it changes the balance if you add it at the end of the mix. I also have the UAD Studer and its not bad but I prefer the ATR in most cases.

The Slate tape plug didn't come till later and I haven't tried it but many here like it a lot. I also have the Waves Kramer Tape plug which I bought first and its so colored I find it more of a distortion plug. If I absolutely need the sound of tape then I use a real tape machine.
Old 30th May 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post

Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In

It's Not a Record Until it's Mastered on an Ampex® Tape Machine.

For more than three decades, the two-channel Ampex ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder has turned music recordings into records. With its cohesive sound, punch, and ability to provide subtle-to-deep tape saturation and color, the ATR-102 is a fixture in major recording and mastering studios — and is considered by many engineers to be the best-sounding tape machine for final mixdown. The perfect complement to the workhorse Studer A800 Multichannel Tape Recorder, the ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder plug-in for UAD-2 can provide the final “analog polish” on your music, turning songs into albums.

Features

Ampex®-authenticated plug-in emulation of the ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder — the most popular professional 2-track machine ever made
Provides rich, cohesive tape sound, without the hassles of calibration, maintenance, tape degradation, etc.
Models entire ATR-102 electronic path, including transformers, amplifiers, Repro, Sync, and Input paths
Features multiple tape formulas, head configurations, and calibration levels
Adjustable Wow, Flutter, Hiss, Hum, Crosstalk, and (L/R) Tape Delay
Requires a UAD-2 DSP Accelerator Card available from authorized dealers worldwide
View All Features
Impeccably modeled in the renowned UAD engineering tradition — and incorporating presets from noted ATR-102 users Chuck Ainlay, Richard Dodd, Buddy Miller, Mike Poole, and more — the ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder plug-in emulation for UAD-2 faithfully replicates the unique dynamics, frequency response, and saturation characteristics of the original hardware. Scrutinized and fully authenticated by the Ampex Corporation, the sound of the ATR-102 plug-in for UAD-2 is virtually indistinguishable from its analog cousin.

History
Introduced in 1976, the Ampex ATR-102 2-Track Tape Recorder was a near-instant hit, thanks to its revolutionary servo-controlled reel motors and capstan, which provided smooth, continuous tape tension and handling. The large capstan, and absence of pinch rollers, provided nearly non-existent speed drift and ultra-low flutter. The clever ATR-102 design allowed users to change out heads and guides in mere minutes, with a 1" head being a very popular "hot-rod" modification in more recent years — especially when running at 15 IPS (inches per second). The ATR's role in modern recording history is so prevalent, that it would be easier to list classic albums that weren't mixed down on this machine, rather than to try to list all those that were.

Plug-In Parameters
Like the ATR-102 hardware, the plug-in allows you to choose between various Signal Paths (Input, Sync, Repro), different Tape Speeds / Emphasis EQs (NAB, CCIR, AES) and Tape Formula combinations, even including home/consumer tape. The Input (Record) Gain knob and the Cal button are the primary controls for regulating levels, and even saturating the tape, and can be used to deliver a heavily colored sound if desired. Other ATR-102 features include: 1/4," 1/2," or 1" Head Select, Biasing/Calibration controls (auto and manual), crosstalk, adjustable wow and flutter, and adjustable tape delay, which can be used for Automatic Double Tracking effects on vocals, guitars, and more.

In Use
The primary use for Ampex ATR-102, and the recommended method for “demoing” this plug-in, is as the last stereo insert on your master fader (or possibly the second-to-last insert before a brick-wall processor such as the UAD Precision Limiter). Set up the plug-in by first adjusting Tape Speed, Tape Formula, Cal Level, and Emphasis EQ, or simply select a preset. Note that as you lower the tape speed (i.e. 15 IPS, 7.5 IPS), the tape “sound” becomes more audible. Once this basic setup is made, adjust the L/R Record (input gain) levels for more or less tape/circuit coloration and saturation.

Other common uses for the Ampex ATR-102 are as individual mono or stereo insert effects, or as an auxiliary group effect where the user wishes to apply it only to specified sources or groups (e.g., drums, guitars, etc). Check out the ATR-102 Tips and Tricks blog article below to learn more.

Link : Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In - Special Processing - Store
Where is the downloading link???
Old 31st May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah421 View Post
Sold my tape machine that I would print my masters to because I needed the cash. After using this plug in on a few mixes I feel confident that this sounds better and is a great tool for the two bus! Very happy!
Now that says a lot.
Old 2nd July 2013
Rented the machine......Going head to head today with plugin.......
Attached Thumbnails
UAD Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In-imageuploadedbygearslutz1372782384.147087.jpg  
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah421 View Post
Rented the machine......Going head to head today with plugin.......
Should be interesting - keen to hear the difference if you can post some sound clips
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search