The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In
Old 20th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentmoon View Post
That's of course true until Greece defaults and that is only a matter of time.... then comes Spain, Italy and France because of its investment in Greek banks... You will need a federal system like the U.S. YIKES!!
It´s all just different flavours.
The US prefer to go down with style in one single glorious bang, the Europeans want to have more of it and we will enjoy a whopping domino effect.

But when it´s done, we´ve all been sold by politicians who did it just for one reason: To get our votes.

And now: Back to topic!
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear
Uhm...I started my demo few days ago....uhm...cough...

What da fak....?!?""! I mean whaaat?!?? This plugin is one of the rare which actually can impress me (and this is coming from Nebula fan). I mean what da heck? My financial status will suffer because of this...I really don't have words for this. You put it on master (assuming you have right levels) and you load that MixMP Soul Dressing or MSTR MP Master 250 15IPS and that's basically it...My jaws dropped..I wasn't sure about it, i even disliked it because their video is pure louder crap and not proper comparison (imo) - but luckily we have people like "grooveminister". Thanks again. Your video is great.

And for anyone from "dance,trance,house,whatever" or "electronic music" crowd - yes it is amazing for that type of music. Perfect actually..
Old 21st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
Uhm...I started my demo few days ago....uhm...cough...

What da fak....?!?""! I mean whaaat?!?? This plugin is one of the rare which actually can impress me (and this is coming from Nebula fan). I mean what da heck? My financial status will suffer because of this...I really don't have words for this. You put it on master (assuming you have right levels) and you load that MixMP Soul Dressing or MSTR MP Master 250 15IPS and that's basically it...My jaws dropped..I wasn't sure about it, i even disliked it because their video is pure louder crap and not proper comparison (imo) - but luckily we have people like "grooveminister". Thanks again. Your video is great.

And for anyone from "dance,trance,house,whatever" or "electronic music" crowd - yes it is amazing for that type of music. Perfect actually..
That was pretty much what happened to me. I ran the entire demo, it ran out and about an hour later I was giving them my credit card! It really is stupid good
Old 22nd October 2011
Gear Nut

The one thing i din't like about this plugin
was the tonegenerator
Pressed the 20Khz tone...
WTF???
Nothing?
Getting slightly def?
Crancked the volume up? Nothing?
Nope...

Dr. Funkenstein suggested that with these high fwekwensies
we could not hear, we should now battle the family of mice
that had hijacked my studio and lived in the space between the
acoustic walls and the real walls. unreachable. safe.
Eating all the wires and maka di love in my rockwool panels.
They had to be battled, and could easily hear till 70 Khz or higher.
Could we creata da panic with this 20Khz ghost Squeezzzz?
Could this be our electric audio cat that would kick their tiny asses
on the street?

So we hit the 20 Khz to them
And crancked the volume up like crazy

It was then that it turned into mr. bean pressing the wrong button.
We stupidly attacked ourselves badly, intead of the mice.
within seconds we started to feel real sick
I mean nasty sick. We didn't HEAR anything,
But the only option was to turn it off real quick or run away.
When the real silence returned it made Dr. Funkenstein happy
that he could still feel the sounds his ears could no longer hear.
"Nothing's lost baby".
I wasn't so shure about that.

After that,
We remastered a whole album on the Ampex demo and we're really glad
we did! To us it did the job on the masterbus good! Better then the Studer.
It has improved the sound of the songs, well most of em.
The glue is true!
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalogatta View Post
The one thing i din't like about this plugin
was the tonegenerator
Pressed the 20Khz tone...
WTF???
Nothing?
Getting slightly def?
Crancked the volume up? Nothing?
Nope...

Dr. Funkenstein suggested that with these high fwekwensies
we could not hear, we should now battle the family of mice
that had hijacked my studio and lived in the space between the
acoustic walls and the real walls. unreachable. safe.
Eating all the wires and maka di love in my rockwool panels.
They had to be battled, and could easily hear till 70 Khz or higher.
Could we creata da panic with this 20Khz ghost Squeezzzz?
Could this be our electric audio cat that would kick their tiny asses
on the street?

So we hit the 20 Khz to them
And crancked the volume up like crazy

It was then that it turned into mr. bean pressing the wrong button.
We stupidly attacked ourselves badly, intead of the mice.
within seconds we started to feel real sick
I mean nasty sick. We didn't HEAR anything,
But the only option was to turn it off real quick or run away.
When the real silence returned it made Dr. Funkenstein happy
that he could still feel the sounds his ears could no longer hear.
"Nothing's lost baby".
I wasn't so shure about that.

After that,
We remastered a whole album on the Ampex demo and we're really glad
we did! To us it did the job on the masterbus good! Better then the Studer.
It has improved the sound of the songs, well most of em.
The glue is true!
Wow.
Old 22nd October 2011
heh

What happened to the mice?
Old 22nd October 2011
I think they crawled into his ear and are currently approaching the center of the brain.
Old 22nd October 2011
Gear Nut

The mice didn't seem to care much for Tony Twenty and the Sibilants
They kicked out his cat
Took over the studio
Renamed it 'Free Cheddar in a Mousetrap Studio'
And made a couple of big salsa hit recordings with the Free Blind Mice

Never found anything remotely looking like a brain
inside the head of that former owner though...
Old 1st November 2011
Lives for gear

I am thinking about buying this but I am a little worried due to my lack of experience etc. I am a relative noob running a small private recording studio churning out demos for young unsigned bands. Perhaps something like this would be lost on me?

I just feel like I really need something to tie my mixes together. Something to finish them off with that gives them a more professional 'record' sound, something that opens them up and glues them together while adding a little 'oomph'.

I was going to get the Slate VCC but my I listened to some of the audio examples showing before and after results and my relatively untrained ears only picked up on extremely subtly, barely noticeable differences. The audio examples of the UAD Ampex seemed vastly more impressive at bringing new clarity to mixes.

At the moment, I don't really have anything on my 2 bus or anything special to master with. Would this be a premature buy for someone like me?
Also I am only running a UAD2-SOLO and my mixes are already usually sitting at around 70-80% UAD DSP usage. Can I still use this on them?
Old 1st November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyraff View Post
I am thinking about buying this but I am a little worried due to my lack of experience etc. I am a relative noob running a small private recording studio churning out demos for young unsigned bands. Perhaps something like this would be lost on me?

I just feel like I really need something to tie my mixes together. Something to finish them off with that gives them a more professional 'record' sound, something that opens them up and glues them together while adding a little 'oomph'.

I was going to get the Slate VCC but my I listened to some of the audio examples showing before and after results and my relatively untrained ears only picked up on extremely subtly, barely noticeable differences. The audio examples of the UAD Ampex seemed vastly more impressive at bringing new clarity to mixes.

At the moment, I don't really have anything on my 2 bus or anything special to master with. Would this be a premature buy for someone like me?
Also I am only running a UAD2-SOLO and my mixes are already usually sitting at around 70-80% UAD DSP usage. Can I still use this on them?
It sounds like you are relying on listening to other people's audio examples online when it would likely be much more effective to demo the plug-ins at your studio and hear how they affect your particular sound.

ATR 102 and VCC are such different animals that it's hard to compare them at all, one being a compressor/limiter and the other being a tape sim, they are built for different purposes.

If you are mastering your own projects and don't have a quality limiter plug-in, then VCC or UAD Precision Limiter might be best. If you are just wanting to add depth/width, glue, color to your unmastered mixes then ATR 102 would be great.

ATR 102 is a DSP hog, so you might want to try applying it after you print your mix.

J~
Old 1st November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
It sounds like you are relying on listening to other people's audio examples online when it would likely be much more effective to demo the plug-ins at your studio and hear how they affect your particular sound.

ATR 102 and VCC are such different animals that it's hard to compare them at all, one being a compressor/limiter and the other being a tape sim, they are built for different purposes.

If you are mastering your own projects and don't have a quality limiter plug-in, then VCC or UAD Precision Limiter might be best. If you are just wanting to add depth/width, glue, color to your unmastered mixes then ATR 102 would be great.

ATR 102 is a DSP hog, so you might want to try applying it after you print your mix.

J~
AHEM.

VCC = virtual console collection, so actually much closer in adding depth/width, glue, color to a mix.

I agree with Traxworx that you really need to try something like VCC to see what it does - it's all about how it makes the mix come together quicker, not just the end result - you could get there other ways, but you actually get there quicker with the "glue" of a similar console sound adding a little cohesion to each part, as well a giving the track more "natural" distortion that follows the dynamics of the tracks, making the heaviest sections really come alive.

If you dont have an iLok2, you can also try Satson, which is another console emulation which is only $39 - IMO it is as sonically tasty as VCC, but only has one sound, but it is a GOOD sound. You can also check out Airwindows plugs is you use AU which also offer phenomenal sound at a low price point and also has a virtual console system.

I think that a tape sim will not be as much use to you at this point in your mixing development - get a console sim, learn to hear the subtleties (much easier when evaluating your own work). Once you got this dialed, get into the other tools.
Old 1st November 2011
Oops! I saw VCC and my mind went to FX-G for some reason...

Next time I'll finish my coffee before posting!

J~
Old 1st November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Oops! I saw VCC and my mind went to FX-G for some reason...

Next time I'll finish my coffee before posting!

J~
You mean FG-X, not "FX-G".
Drink up.
Old 1st November 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyraff View Post

Actually the Ampex is extremely easy to use. You can get into custom calibration if you really want, but for non-tweaky people like me you can just choose a tape type and speed and run with it, the unit will start out calibrated and just sound great the minute you put it on.

While I rarely use presets at all, especially for audio plugins like compressors and EQ's, I find the presets in the Ampex have been especially helpful at getting close to the sound I was looking for.

And oh yeah it is so simple, you just drop it on the master bus and it is a night and day difference... it doesn't work on every track for me... but for a lot of tracks it works like freakin magic...
Old 1st November 2011
Anyone using this plug on the 2-Bus?

Just wondering where in the chain would be best, I've been using it 3rd last, before a mastering comp and eq, sounds pretty good to me. How are other people using it?
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

I use it after my mastering EQ followed by my mastering single band COMP followed by the UAD Ampex ATR-102.
UAD also recommends to put the Ampex as the last plugin in your mastering/2bus-chain before a limiter.

Is anyone using the simulated "complete analog" workflow:

Individual Channels:
UAD Studer A800 > Slate VCC Console Inputs

2bus / Mastering:
Slate VCC Console Bus > Mastering EQ > Mastering SingleBand COMP > Ampex ATR-102

I´m currently demoing the Slate VCC (and I already bought the VCC Tube to get the free ILOK2 as a spare) and I like it.
But the funny thing is:
-With the UAD ATR-102 I´m absolutely sure: I wan´t this on the bus - on every single mix.
-UAD Studer A800: I have to put it on every track most of the time.
-Slate VCC is really nice - but the difference to the Studer is: I´m not SURE I wan´t this in the path - might be too much.

I have to try VCC instead of the Studer though - but I might end up finding out that I´m a tape saturation freak...
Old 2nd November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveminister View Post
...I have to try VCC instead of the Studer though - but I might end up finding out that I´m a tape saturation freak...
I'm presuming you have or want a tape machine?

Certainly sounds like where you're headed.

Plugins make fantastic gateway drugs.

- c
Old 3rd November 2011
Lives for gear
Once we get emulations of all the machines and analog gear and then even Jimi Hendrix and John Lennon emulators, then we will hear good music. Everything else up to then has been and will be crap.
I can't wait to get my UAD stereo David Lee Roth emulator for the mix bus. Probably stick on the Panama preset and turn up the blood alcohol knob.
Old 4th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfiltered420 View Post
I can't wait to get my UAD stereo David Lee Roth emulator for the mix bus. Probably stick on the Panama preset and turn up the blood alcohol knob.
I haven't had a heartattack of a laugh in a long time.
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

Has anyone tried the UAD Studer on a 2 bus with 456 tape at 15 ips and then try the same settings with the UAD Ampex? What difference do you hear....just a little thicker on the Ampex?
Old 21st December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
Has anyone tried the UAD Studer on a 2 bus with 456 tape at 15 ips and then try the same settings with the UAD Ampex? What difference do you hear....just a little thicker on the Ampex?
UAD Studer - more low end boost, sometimes too much IMO.

UAD ATR 102 - More 3D.

I prefer the Ampex sim on the 2 bus.

J~
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

The Ampex Kills the Studer on the 2 buss. It totally changes what your 2bus limiter can do to your music if you put it right before the limiter. Its truly amazing.
Old 21st December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
It totally changes what your 2bus limiter can do to your music if you put it right before the limiter. Its truly amazing.
What setting are you using?
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

I've been using the UltraLinear Presets they put up on their website. I like the 456/250 1"/30ips settings.
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear
Yeah - I've been trying to live without it...but I just hit my boss...er...my wife up for it considering the sale. Really adds a glue and 3D-ness that I can't get without it. I find myself not even using an EQ because it's just doing all the shiz I need. I change it up depending on what the mix needs, but I find myself going VCC---AMPEX---SPL Vitalizer for stereo spread---then FG-X. Really like the compressor on the FG-X.
Old 7th January 2012
Lives for gear

Tried the demo: Yes yes yes yes! A must buy!
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

damn you alll !! i'm trying to not buy an uad card cause i'm strapped with all they have in native format .....but this tape thing is making me curious ....the waves mpx is great here but never on my 2 bus ....and all your reviews are .....

do you mixe in or put it after mixing decisions ?
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
damn you alll !! i'm trying to not buy an uad card cause i'm strapped with all they have in native format .....but this tape thing is making me curious ....the waves mpx is great here but never on my 2 bus ....and all your reviews are .....

do you mixe in or put it after mixing decisions ?
I'm not buying anything UAD until after whatever the next show is....they sent an email saying to watch out for some big news coming...
Old 8th January 2012
Gear Addict

There seems to be many Tape Simulators on the Market, if one has 8 tracks on a PC-DAW which of all the Tape Simulators will handle the most Tracks.

How many of the above will work on a PC, is there any thing that will work with a laptop PC.

As the "Anamod ATR-1 is a stand-alone unit how many tracks can this handle at a time.

Best Regards

Tony
Home
Old 8th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arny View Post
There seems to be many Tape Simulators on the Market, if one has 8 tracks on a PC-DAW which of all the Tape Simulators will handle the most Tracks.

How many of the above will work on a PC, is there any thing that will work with a laptop PC.

As the "Anamod ATR-1 is a stand-alone unit how many tracks can this handle at a time.

Best Regards

Tony
Home
Hi Tony,

Most plug-ins are cross-platform. Which DAW/plug-in format are you using?

Any of them can handle as many tracks as you have the processing power for in your PC, as you insert 1 instance on each track or bus. The better sounding ones tend to use more DSP.

The ATS-1 has 2 channels.

You can hear some of them here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...sed-files.html

J~
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search