The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In
Old 30th September 2011
  #301
Lives for gear
Listening to the YouTube video I'm lovung the ampex.ill activate my demo soon!.

So far it seem worth the price,giving a more pleasant mix after it already sounds good +1,000,000!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 1st October 2011
  #302
Lives for gear
 

Does it include Bias Rocks?
Old 1st October 2011
  #303
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Greedy View Post
Does it include Bias Rocks?
Now that is downright esoteric...
Old 1st October 2011
  #304
Lives for gear
 
Mr.HOLMES's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Greedy View Post
Does it include Bias Rocks?
May it includes - "I am a game changer" just put me on all the buses and the mix is done without any work.
Old 2nd October 2011
  #305
Lives for gear
 
Mr.HOLMES's Avatar
Maybe be I have to eat my own words a little bit.
After playing around with it more.

Ok it has a use and it shapes the mix- special the transients a little bit.
It glues the low end.

I like what it does to the transients and the low end.
I dislike the extra distortion I can hear.

If there would be a setting that does all the things I like - without the distortions I would eat my words completely.
Attached Files

Console Out.wav (3.46 MB, 238 views)

UAD AMPEX..wav (3.46 MB, 251 views)

Old 2nd October 2011
  #306
Gear Maniac
 

Disable the transformer to decrease the distortion for a very significant amount...
Old 2nd October 2011
  #307
Lives for gear
 
grooveminister's Avatar
Stephen Smith´s ultraLINEAR presets

Universal Audio has released new ultralinear presets in their blog:
Stephen Smith's Ampex ATR-102 Mastering Presets - Blog - Universal Audio

Now all tape kinds are included (250, 456, 468, 900, ATR...) and not only the 456 and the ATR.
All tapes have been properly calibrated with all the available headstocks.
So theres 1/2", 1" and 1/4" if the tape/speed allows.

These presets are extremely useful for mastering, I only had to match the output gain and resave - because again some settings were up to 2dB hotter than the mix i´ve input.
Old 2nd October 2011
  #308
Lives for gear
 

I don't have the plug, so I can't check, but were there already Ultralinear presets?
Old 2nd October 2011
  #309
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveminister View Post
Universal Audio has released new ultralinear presets in their blog:
Stephen Smith's Ampex ATR-102 Mastering Presets - Blog - Universal Audio

Now all tape kinds are included (250, 456, 468, 900, ATR...) and not only the 456 and the ATR.
All tapes have been properly calibrated with all the available headstocks.
So theres 1/2", 1" and 1/4" if the tape/speed allows.

These presets are extremely useful for mastering, I only had to match the output gain and resave - because again some settings were up to 2dB hotter than the mix i´ve input.
Wow! Hopefully they will have a sale for this plugin,because in herring it anyways so the sale will save me money LOL.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 2nd October 2011
  #310
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
Maybe be I have to eat my own words a little bit.
After playing around with it more.

Ok it has a use and it shapes the mix- special the transients a little bit.
It glues the low end.

I like what it does to the transients and the low end.
I dislike the extra distortion I can hear.

If there would be a setting that does all the things I like - without the distortions I would eat my words completely.
Maybe a different song could help

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 3rd October 2011
  #311
Lives for gear
 
mike1k's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath View Post
I don't have the plug, so I can't check, but were there already Ultralinear presets?

These particluar presets are a separate download.
Old 3rd October 2011
  #312
Lives for gear
 
Mr.HOLMES's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1k View Post
These particluar presets are a separate download.
Where do I get them?
Havent seen a link to those?
Old 3rd October 2011
  #313
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
Where do I get them?
Havent seen a link to those?
In the link grooveminister posted.
Old 3rd October 2011
  #314
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1k View Post
These particluar presets are a separate download.
Right, but I thought people were talking about Ultralinear presets a couple of weeks ago, and these were just realized. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing things haha
Old 3rd October 2011
  #315
Old 3rd October 2011
  #316
Lives for gear
 
Mr.HOLMES's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkor View Post
Wired.
Got the presets installed them in the right place at Mac HD cant load them in the plug in!!

Would love to try these to report back...
Old 3rd October 2011
  #317
Lives for gear
 
Billy Buck's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
Wired.
Got the presets installed them in the right place at Mac HD cant load them in the plug in!!

Would love to try these to report back...
Working fine here, but I am on a PC. Are you using the UAD's own preset functionality (folder icon on the UAD plug-in toolbar)? That is how I am sucessfully opening/saving/copying/pasting all UAD plug-in presets to/from their own individual plug-in folders. I am liking these "ultralinear" much better than the included "artist" presets especially when I am wanting more of a flat response (non-hyped) on the mix bus. This is a nice add on and the included preset graphs for each preset (25 in all) is a nice little bonus.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 4th October 2011
  #318
Lives for gear
 
grooveminister's Avatar
Yes, the new (complete) ultralinear presets are great.

I have to admit though, that UA divided the presets into "MIX" and "MASTERING" and some people intentionally calibrate the machine "wrong" to achieve certain sounds.

Maybe those Nashville Guys are using the ATR as an "exciter".
Old 4th October 2011
  #319
Gear Maniac
 

I like this plug on the mix bus for somethings..Studer...not so much...too much like a plug in.
Old 4th October 2011
  #320
Lives for gear
 
Mr.HOLMES's Avatar
I have to apologize for my moaning.
I was to fast judging on the extra distortions.

Something interesting happend on the weekend.

I was going to write this tune to an end.
As soon as I switched it on without the Ampex, I was missing something.
I dont have words for it, but something was gone.

True is it is not a cheap plug in but it seems it ads something, depending on the setting, I cant have without it.

Well done UAD..... I also tried the Waves MPX but this one I could not make work in any sense to my taste... the UAD did something I like....
Old 12th October 2011
  #322
Lives for gear
 
davey boy's Avatar
 

I've been demoing this for 2 weeks now and have finished 5 mixes using it. I absolutely did not want to like it but I do! It's very hard for to rationalize spending the money on it right now. I think I'll play around more with the Studer and see if I can get similar results on the master buss since I own that already. I will say that if I had the money in would definitely pop for the Ampex (I still might).
Old 12th October 2011
  #323
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

started the demo of ATR-102 last night and just opened a lot of old projects sticking it on the master, its nice but not nice enough to make £349 fall out of my wallet heh.
Its odd that a lot of the presets seemed to enhance the transients, i was expecting it to numb/round them off.
Still 13 days to go on demo so ill soldier on.
Old 12th October 2011
  #324
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Its odd that a lot of the presets seemed to enhance the transients, i was expecting it to numb/round them off.
Yup, that what real tape does when you're not pushing it hot for saturation/compression.

So many people have been intentionally saturating tape for so long that it has become the only tape effect that gets mentioned anymore. Fact is - tape is a dynamic medium capable of many different effects.

If you increase the record level and decrease the reproduce level you can get reduced transients if you want.

J~
Old 12th October 2011
  #325
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Yup, that what real tape does when you're not pushing it hot for saturation/compression.

So many people have been intentionally saturating tape for so long that it has become the only tape effect that gets mentioned anymore. Fact is - tape is a dynamic medium capable of many different effects.

If you increase the record level and decrease the reproduce level you can get reduced transients if you want.

J~
I want a solid sine wave? is that possible with the Ampex?


heh
Old 12th October 2011
  #326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I want a solid sine wave? is that possible with the Ampex?


heh
Sure, the UAD ATR 102 has a built in tone generator!
Old 13th October 2011
  #327
Lives for gear
 
davey boy's Avatar
 

Another one bites the dust... I popped for the Ampex today after my demo ran out. I have done 6 mixes on it in the past 2 weeks, 2 of which are on Itunes. It sure adds a certain polish that I really miss when I take it off.
Old 13th October 2011
  #328
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by davey boy View Post
Another one bites the dust... I popped for the Ampex today after my demo ran out. I have done 6 mixes on it in the past 2 weeks, 2 of which are on Itunes. It sure adds a certain polish that I really miss when I take it off.

Stop it man god Damn it! Your gonna make buy it NOW!

I SURE HOPE YOUR CONSCIOUS IS BOTHERING YOU...
Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 20th October 2011
  #329
Lives for gear
 
grooveminister's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
started the demo of ATR-102 last night and just opened a lot of old projects sticking it on the master, its nice but not nice enough to make £349 fall out of my wallet heh.
Its odd that a lot of the presets seemed to enhance the transients, i was expecting it to numb/round them off.
Still 13 days to go on demo so ill soldier on.
You Brits have to pay 349 Pounds for it???
Ya should have joined the Euro here it´s around 250 Euros, which - converted to Pounds - is even less.
Old 20th October 2011
  #330
Thumbs down European Union

That's of course true until Greece defaults and that is only a matter of time.... then comes Spain, Italy and France because of its investment in Greek banks... You will need a federal system like the U.S. YIKES!!
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump