The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder Plug-In
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

[post edit]

Made reply about wrong product. Doh!
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynugz007 View Post
so, how is everyone using the Ampex so far? Are you puting it on the mix buss and mixing into it or slapping it on the mixbus when the mix is close to done? Or using it in the mastering stage?

I believe the plugin is made for all of the above uses but I'm curious if anyone is noticing it being better suited to one inparticular.

ryan
Mostly on the mix buss but today I tried it on the drum buss and bass. I really liked it a lot, very flexible and unfortunately for me expensive 'cause I WILL be buying it the minute the demo runs out!
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Cool Who says that you need Tape?

I liked the Studer Version and I guess the Ampex is also a great simulation.
But like with the Studer 350$ for a single Plug-In?- Not for me.

Thats the reason why I was not using the demo yet!!!

I think UAD went crazy with their new price-politics.
I payed a lot for the Quad card and for this reason plug-ins should be in the ballpark between 150-200 $....

The last UAD plug-in I bought was the EMT 250 at about 150$ with discount coupon.

If I save myself two 350$ plug-ins I already can buy used hardware or clones.
Picking out something different in HW that gives saturation and soft compression.

For me there is a TAPE - HYPE and now they HYPE Tape-Plug-Ins.
Who says that you need Tape to make a good record?
Old 25th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
Who says that you need Tape to make a good record?
Nobody says that as far as I recall. It's simply about having colors that you enjoy painting with and using what fits the aesthetic of the project at hand, just like with any gear. As always, there's more than one path to a good mix, which is a subjective thing anyway.

To me the price is reasonable considering the depth and thoroughness of the emulation, and the usefulness of being able to insert several of them wherever you like inside a session

J~
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynugz007 View Post
so, how is everyone using the Ampex so far? Are you puting it on the mix buss and mixing into it or slapping it on the mixbus when the mix is close to done? Or using it in the mastering stage?

I believe the plugin is made for all of the above uses but I'm curious if anyone is noticing it being better suited to one inparticular.

ryan
I tried both.
On one project the mix and master EQ were already finished when the ATR-102 plugin came out - so I ended up using one of Stephen Smiths ultralinear presets on it to just get the depth and the glue.

Another project was fresh, so I mixed and set the mastering EQ with the Ampex already in the chain - this time with one one the colorful artists presets.

I guess time will tell, what I prefer - but it might be just a matter of personal taste and workflow.
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Angry cant believe it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Nobody says that as far as I recall. It's simply about having colors that you enjoy painting with and using what fits the aesthetic of the project at hand, just like with any gear. As always, there's more than one path to a good mix, which is a subjective thing anyway.

To me the price is reasonable considering the depth and thoroughness of the emulation, and the usefulness of being able to insert several of them wherever you like inside a session

J~
I did a first test with the demo.
To me it sounds similar to the following two options without spending a cent.

Bump up 50 Hz with fair amount of a wider Q just a few db.
Set behind this a good tape harmonics style simulation.
(better option get some tube harmonics similar sound and real hw)
And cut the transients with a transient shaper a little-bit.

Sorry 350 dollars, still cant believe it.
Attached Files

Original.wav (3.17 MB, 176 views)

UAD AMPEX.wav (3.17 MB, 165 views)

Alt Option.wav (3.17 MB, 156 views)

Old 27th September 2011
Quote:

I would buy any plug-in for $350 if I had to use 3 other plug-ins to get a similar sound...

When you say "it sounds similar", what do you mean by "it"? (Please forgive the Bill Clinton-ism heh) - Which one of the countless possible settings was "it"?

If you spend some time exploring the demo and reading the manual you might find the plug-in is capable of much more than that one sound. But if you set out to prove that it's a rip-off then I'm sure you'll be able to find ways to satisfy your expectation, as with almost anything really.

To me $350 is nothing for a close approximation of a machine that one could spend over $10K on. Heck, I own the real thing and I still bought the UAD!

Of course there's no important reason to listen to me. I had a no-show client today so I'm just wasting time debating a total stranger on the web...

Cheers,

J~
Old 27th September 2011
Just listened to your files. Thanks for posting!

'Gotta say the UAD sounds more alive, warmer, and has more depth of field and width than the alt option. Easily heard.

Just my .02

J~
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

i'm not from the tape generation,
when i tried the studer, i tried it on single layer of instruments, or vocals, didn't like it.
i tried for mastering and didn't like it.
however i knew that this is a sound that i'm not familiar with, or donnu how to achieve THAT SOUND with it, so i bought it...
i immediately bought the atr 102 as well, when it came out...
i did a mix few days ago, using the studer, atr, and ss vcc, i'm pretty shocked by the results, i used just a little bit of eq at some points (and ofcourse some fx on my sends), and that's it...
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just listened to your files. Thanks for posting!

'Gotta say the UAD sounds more alive, warmer, and has more depth of field and width than the alt option. Easily heard.

Just my .02

J~
Oh OK yes the UAD sounds a bit wider and my EQ setting in the alt option was not 1:1 ..... the UAD has more HMF.....and less LF

Dont get me wrong, I am not saying it is bad to own this plug in.
But pardon 350 $ fora tad of wider soundstage, and frequency shift, that is just different to the original, plus a few distortions and WOW and Flutter and noise...etc.

I am not sure if any of my clients will hear the difference.

Maybe I am crazy but I owned in the past a Telefunken M15 A.
The so called MAGIC in Tape I couldn't hear on the Telefunken nor I can hear a special magical thing in this tape plug in....

I just hear that it is different.

EDIT...

OK may I can say the ampex thing gives a special definition a special pin-point to the sounds in the lows.
But it is very subtle- may this changes using it on different busses?
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by blim View Post
If you do decide to go ahead and poke yourself in the eye, would you mind videotaping it and posting the video to this thread. Thanks!
Funny!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:

Awooow! You posted somethin,great!

Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY View Post
Awooow! You posted somethin,great!

I do not know if this is great what I wrote.
But my impression is what I get from this plug in (running a single file over it) is so subtle that I can have those changes with a few knobs on three different plugs in my mastering chain as well.

The Studer simulation was much more different to me it did something special with the transients, it rounded them of in way I was not able to recreate.

But for this thing- if this is the magic the real HW unit gives me... mh I would ask myself three times a day why keeping this monster running?

My guesswork is:
The real unit should gives the sound something special instead of what I heard from its simulation - Otherwise I would have my doubts on mastering- houses praying the tape magic.

For now I know why my ME always told me:
Only tape sounds like tape!!

For me the changes in the sound of the UAD-Ampex are not anything magical- nor special....
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

The presets are very poor I.M.H.O....and if one is not 'in the box' completely the latency is unacceptable.
It will take me time to use it properly which is a bit heart breaking.
I really just wanted a little bit of that 'tape' thing ....you know?
The waves MPX or whatever it's called is so simple...which is a plus point!
So for me during composing i will use the MPX and probably only turn to the UAD ampex once i'm on the final leg and in the box....guess i'll see come the time.
LATENCY...LATENCY...cant be bothered really....
too expensive...the special deal should be MUCH more special...(wallet creaks shut...slam!)
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffydog View Post
The presets are very poor I.M.H.O....and if one is not 'in the box' completely the latency is unacceptable.
It will take me time to use it properly which is a bit heart breaking.
I really just wanted a little bit of that 'tape' thing ....you know?
The waves MPX or whatever it's called is so simple...which is a plus point!
So for me during composing i will use the MPX and probably only turn to the UAD ampex once i'm on the final leg and in the box....guess i'll see come the time.
LATENCY...LATENCY...cant be bothered really....
too expensive...the special deal should be MUCH more special...(wallet creaks shut...slam!)
To be true I am the only one not hearing a special magic.
All the stuff talking about tape glue and so on.

My opinion glue I can get in mixing from a cleaver used verb and delay combination.... I just hear that the Ampex changes frequency and time domain and just gives little bit of a wider soundstage.

I this worth to you 350$??
Old 28th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
To be true I am the only one not hearing a special magic.
All the stuff talking about tape glue and so on.

My opinion glue I can get in mixing from a cleaver used verb and delay combination.... I just hear that the Ampex changes frequency and time domain and just gives little bit of a wider soundstage.

I this worth to you 350$??
If $350 is "too much" you might be in the wrong business. :-)

Seriously though. These are just tools. If you got other tools that work for you then so be it. I worked with the Ampex demo for 2 weeks and had to buy it when my trial ended. It became part of my toolbox and get's me from point A to B faster than use several other tools.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
If $350 is "too much" you might be in the wrong business. :-)

Seriously though. These are just tools. If you got other tools that work for you then so be it. I worked with the Ampex demo for 2 weeks and had to buy it when my trial ended. It became part of my toolbox and get's me from point A to B faster than use several other tools.
AH AH AH AH...

I am just skeptical before I buy something what is wrong with this?
Special when a company puts a lot of cash into marketing - making videos and trying to make me believe I get 1:1 copy of the hardware.

Not to mention I bought a lot UA-Digtal gear in the past.
Plus a hilarious price for a UAD Quad card.
Before this I gave them cash for two UAD 1 cards.

Since the new UAD cards the plug in prices only know one direction-
They get more and more expensive.

I just ask myself is this worth the money to me.
And I think - no - I would buy it but not with this price tag.

Users always yell on Waves but in the end of the day Waves seems to be the cheaper option in the long run.

And yes as a composer with costs for the studio I calculate before I buy something.
What is wrong with this an why I am not aloud to write about my opinion on this forum?
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear
Ok mr holmes(thanks btw)i took your original file and ran it threw my tape sim just as a reference.

Let me know what you think \,i added a second file with a stronger tape sat which sound a lil distorted but its worth a listen.

I also reposted your ampex file.

GROOVEMINISTER VIDEO SHOWS A BIG ADVANTAGE ON HAVING THE PLUGIN,IT DEFINITELY ADD LIFE TO THE TRACK.
Attached Files
File Type: aif my tape.aif (3.15 MB, 121 views) File Type: aif my tape2.aif (3.15 MB, 128 views)

UAD AMPEX.wav (3.17 MB, 132 views)

Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sorry, but I don't get it.

Here you take about eq + tube hardware to replace the ATR and in another thread you also talk about adding a good reverb and delay combination to add glue.

I'm sure these 4 will cost you more than 350$.

Peter.
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok mr holmes(thanks btw)i took your original file and ran it threw my tape sim just as a reference.

Let me know what you think \,i added a second file with a stronger tape sat which sound a lil distorted but its worth a listen.

GROOVEMINISTER VIDEO SHOWS A BIG ADVANTAGE ON HAVING THE PLUGIN,IT DEFINITELY ADD LIFE TO THE TRACK.

thats a good demo for the plugin actually....
the last file with the tape applied most definately sounded better....
and to be honest...mr holmes needs this glue!
any settings info would be nice....
good job Flyingjay!
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanksalot!

But I might have chosen the wrong presets to show off the UAD ATR-102 at it´s best.
UA cleverly devides between "Mix" and "Mastering" presets - so I should have used only "Mastering" presets on a tune that´s relatively finished (EQ wise).

Stephen Smiths "UltraLinear" presets are great if you don´t want to alter the tone.
And Ted Spencer is creating a "UltraLinear" set for all tape formulations/speeds/widths.

I might redo the ATR-102 drumdemo with the new linear-presets if your interested!
Old 28th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffydog View Post
thats a good demo for the plugin actually....
the last file with the tape applied most definately sounded better....
and to be honest...mr holmes needs this glue!
any settings info would be nice....
good job Flyingjay!
The last file was Mr. Holmes ampex file ,the first 2 files were nomad factory's magnetic.

How do you think they sounded?

I used to think it was amazing,magnetic has hi and low eq knobs that I had to used before I could even play the files next to the ampex!

Ampex really does magic imho.its time I start my demo!

Old 28th September 2011
Quote:
why I am not aloud to write about my opinion on this forum?
How can one write "aloud"?

This makes me chuckle - not only are you allowed to write your opinion, you have used the privilege to repeat the same opinion over and over again!

FWIW, the rest of us are also allowed to respond to your opinion. Thus we have what is called a "forum".

Enjoy,

J~
Old 29th September 2011
Quote:
How can one write "aloud"?

This makes me chuckle - not only are you allowed to write your opinion, you have used the privilege to repeat the same opinion over and over again!

FWIW, the rest of us are also allowed to respond to your opinion. Thus we have what is called a "forum".

Enjoy,

J~
Not everybody is a native English speaker.
Old 29th September 2011
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctms777 View Post
Not everybody is a native English speaker.
That's easy to forget because most of the non-native English speakers who post here use better English than the average American!
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:

FlyingJay.

Dont get me wrong and don't take it personal what I wrote.
I try my best using my non native speaker english.

First off all, both of your tape files sound distorted.
File two where you hit the, tape recorder harder, is awful in the time domain as well, and ads even more distortions.

Which tape recorder was it, or was it the UAD Ampex as well?

I dont like this- sorry but thats my taste.

What you call life I call a huge change in the frequency domain plus a few harmonics and extra distortions. Thats really not a thing I desire for my music- and if I want it I can have it with an EQ and an ordinary harmonics tool e.g. such as PSP Mix-Saturator.

Some harmonics here and there in the mix is OK but they have to be related to the music for my ears. K1 K2 may little bit K3 etc....
As soon it sounds overly warm it gets crazy to my ears.

Designers did spend years and years to minimize distortions and now we make the role backwards.

It just does not sounds good to my ears.
Thats all....but everybody has its own taste.

I see now the time coming where we hear over-saturated mixes on GS.

Mr Holmes

PS:
The plug in does not sounded right to me on this rough mix, how could make it a final version better- I have my doubts.
Old 29th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
FlyingJay.

Dont get me wrong and don't take it personal what I wrote.
I try my best using my non native speaker english.

First off all, both of your tape files sound distorted.
File two where you hit the, tape recorder harder, is awful in the time domain as well, and ads even more distortions.

Which tape recorder was it, or was it the UAD Ampex as well?

I dont like this- sorry but thats my taste.

What you call life I call a huge change in the frequency domain plus a few harmonics and extra distortions. Thats really not a thing I desire for my music- and if I want it I can have it with an EQ and an ordinary harmonics tool e.g. such as PSP Mix-Saturator.

Some harmonics here and there in the mix is OK but they have to be related to the music for my ears. K1 K2 may little bit K3 etc....
As soon it sounds overly warm it gets crazy to my ears.

Designers did spend years and years to minimize distortions and now we make the role backwards.

It just does not sounds good to my ears.
Thats all....but everybody has its own taste.

I see now the time coming where we hear over-saturated mixes on GS.

Mr Holmes

PS:
The plug in does not sounded right to me on this rough mix, how could make it a final version better- I have my doubts.
I take it you don't like death or black metal then?

Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear
The plugin was nomad factory MAGNETIC I wasn't pleased with it either,I just wanted to put it up against the uad since I was thinking about getting the ampex.

I personally love how it sound!

I have a good song that magnetic worked great on if you have demo time left on your ampex?I would love for you to run it through for me and ill post the magnetic file.

Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The plugin was nomad factory MAGNETIC I wasn't please with it either,I just wanted to put it up against the uad since I was thinking about getting the ampex.

I personally love how it sound!

I have a good song that magnetic worked great on if you have demo time left on your ampex?I would love for you to run it through for me and ill post the magnetic file.

Ok I bite one last time, but it seems to be senseless becasue we talk about taste in the end of the day.

First of all let me say I did not grew up with tape but I owned a Telefunken M 15 A in top notch refurbished condition several years...it was a gift from my father.

First of all with 456 this machine never sounded overly warm and or overly distorted- it just gave the sound a little sparkle a little more detail "to use the words of Mr.Bob Ohloson.

In the end of the day I sold this machine, yes sometimes I miss it, but the little sparkle the little detail was for me not worth the time I had to put into mixing to use it.

And the best of it all was the machine was aligned well and did not changed the frequency spectrum in a drastic way.

Thats the main reason why I have my doubts when these new plug ins sound like distortion boxes

There is my old Puppy.
Now the German Base Player Mr. Martin Engelien owns it.

Old 30th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Ok I bite one last time, but it seems to be senseless becasue we talk about taste in the end of the day.

First of all let me say I did not grew up with tape but I owned a Telefunken M 15 A in top notch refurbished condition several years...it was a gift from my father.

First of all with 456 this machine never sounded overly warm and or overly distorted- it just gave the sound a little sparkle a little more detail "to use the words of Mr.Bob Ohloson.

In the end of the day I sold this machine, yes sometimes I miss it, but the little sparkle the little detail was for me not worth the time I had to put into mixing to use it.

And the best of it all was the machine was aligned well and did not changed the frequency spectrum in a drastic way.

Thats the main reason why I have my doubts when these new plug ins sound like distortion boxes

There is my old Puppy.
Now the German Base Player Mr. Martin Engelien owns it.

Cool. You don't like "distortion" and things "changing" the sound of your music. We get it. Just don't put put any saturation style plugins on your music. Problem solved.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search