The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio V6 arrived
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Universal Audio V6 arrived

here we go:
UAD Downloads
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

SW Universal Audio V6 arrived

Anyone else having a problem with 6.0 manual PDF seems corrupted, I'm having problems opening the file.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Very,very disappointed...
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Don't forget what it possibly one of the most significant improvements with this update: proper Pro Tools support. No more wrapped VSTs, supports control surfaces!

Pro Tools Compatibility

EDIT: There's a Blog and Video-Walkthrough post too on the Pro Tools enhancements: http://www.uaudio.com/blog/pro-tools/

(While we're at it, there's also a tips and tricks blog post up on the Ampex too: http://www.uaudio.com/blog/ampex-atr-102-tips-tricks )
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dione View Post
Very,very disappointed...

Disappointed? That doesn't even begin to say it. We don't need new plugs of only marginal utility and interest. We need 64-bit. UAD needs to wake up.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Very cool!

And I find this little note to be quite significant:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do your plug-ins support TDM hardware?

No. UAD plug-ins only run on UAD DSP Accelerator cards. There is no planned support for Pro Tools HD DSP cards at this time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 1st September 2011
This one is interesting:

Additional RTAS Notes for UAD v6.0
  • Pro Tools session file compatibility between Mac OS and Windows platforms is currently not operational.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcedist View Post
Don't forget what it possibly one of the most significant improvements with this update: proper Pro Tools support. No more wrapped VSTs, supports control surfaces!

Pro Tools Compatibility
Downloading now, this is fantastic. That certainly is a big announcement. Apparently they show up in the regular categories like all other RTAS plugins. I wonder if this affects plugin instances. Now that they are technically RTAS, do they use more RTAS power? Technically they are supposed to use just the card, but UAD users know that do use RTAS too. Excuse me if I am a little confused, but if they are really RTAS now...isn't that, ummm, Native?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
This one is interesting:

Additional RTAS Notes for UAD v6.0
  • Pro Tools session file compatibility between Mac OS and Windows platforms is currently not operational.
Yeah, interesting. That's not good, they'll need to fix that. I guess the workaround is saving presets for each session. Not fun, but maybe worth it till 6.1. They are giving us full RTAS support after all
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
I recently was given a $50 coupon because UA said "they miss me" - i haven't bought a plugin in over a year...

even with this (paltry) coupon, these new plugins are so incredibly expensive, I can't even begin to fathom picking any of them up. I'm not sure how big the customer base for UA plugs is these days, but one thing is certain, the DIY crowd (i'm talking people who starve themselves so they can work, not the cushy day-job professionals that moonlight as hobbyists) has been left behind.

It's cool. The LA2a and 1176 still sound pretty good. A shame they have no resale value though. I guess that's one argument where hardware kills software...

One good thing - it supports Lion. I can upgrade now :-)
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

brainwork eq limited by UAD dongle => 329 usd

anoter tape emu at 349 usd

spl vitalizer limited by UAD dongle at 249 usd

but the price of the plugins would not be the issue if the dongle they ask to use them was not so overpriced too

still the same price for a quad dongle (1500 usd) since 2008 (my main concern )

no way, they just lost the reason of an uncracked plateform,

sure they don't sell to much of them at this price ... so the few customers pay the overfull price,

the UAD plateform is now dead for me.

just waiting for stomp box emu more pricey than their hardware counterpart
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey1 View Post
even with this (paltry) coupon, these new plugins are so incredibly expensive, I can't even begin to fathom picking any of them up. I'm not sure how big the customer base for UA plugs is these days, but one thing is certain, the DIY crowd (i'm talking people who starve themselves so they can work, not the cushy day-job professionals that moonlight as hobbyists) has been left behind.
I hear you, but this raises the question: Does the DIY crowd need an ATR 102?!?

I'm not saying this to be facetious. I would think that this is the kind of thing that most bedroom studios can do without. It's a pretty subtle thing and probably the kind of thing you wouldn't be able to appreciate without a lot of skill and experience (which is to say nothing of excellent monitoring), in which case you'd probably be doing it for a living.

It seems it's priced for a certain market. And I imagine a lot of the dough is going to Ampex for royalties for use of the name and tech.

- c
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

I'm not saying this to be facetious. I would think that this is the kind of thing that most bedroom studios can do without. It's a pretty subtle thing and probably the kind of thing you wouldn't be able to appreciate without a lot of skill and experience (which is to say nothing of excellent monitoring), in which case you'd probably be doing it for a living.

It seems it's priced for a certain market. And I imagine a lot of the dough is going to Ampex for royalties for use of the name and tech.

- c
No, I don't think the DIY crowd needs an ATR 102. But I'm not positive that's who it's for. Or really even UAD in general. DIY'ers could probably stick with Native plugins and be fine. To me, the whole UAD patform is for professional audio applications. I think that everybody in the DIY category that uses UAD, uses the platform to try to get that "record sound" that takes much longer to achieve without UAD. So, no. Maybe they don't need it. But if one knows how to use it, and understands what they are hearing and how to use it to make a better product, then yes, it would be useful. I personally think that the ATR 102 may be more useful than the Studer plugin, if for only the fact that you can get some magic with just one plugin on the master.
Old 1st September 2011
t_d
Lives for gear

the vitalizer could be interesting if it's well done. the hardware can be had for around $1000 or a bit less. if the software sounds great i'd probably rather pick up the hardware...might actually demo this one.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

i just downloaded the new manual and the Ampex is in there but the Vitalizer and the Brainworx EQ aren't. Wonder what that's all about???
cam
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict
too expensive for 2011...!

...and without 64bit support - NO GO!
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

RTAS seems to be working nicely. Perhaps there will will be less glitches that seemed to arise from the wrapper. The just look like regular RTAS plugins now, and they do show up in the categories
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

This update is [email protected]!

Lion support, but no 64-bit! What the hell UA??? Wake up! Totally ridiculous and laughable.

Only 12 stereo Ampex instances with QUAD card! What???

And the prices! Jesus!

Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Well every release they put out that doesn't support 64 bit is another step closer I am to dropping the platform.

Super disappointed - very sick of bridging the plugs

Please enter this generation of computing!

Sent from my MB860 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 1st September 2011
t_d
Lives for gear

i guess i live under a rock.. but what does 64bit matter?? people seem to be so up in arms about lack of 64 bit support.. my mac pro (2008) runs my UAD plugs just fine, without a hitch.

i don't know what 64 bit will do for me, nor do i really care... but, clearly i'm in the minority.

i'd be happy with some updates to their existing plug ins and a killer console emulation that you can run w/o eating up an entire card.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey1 View Post
I recently was given a $50 coupon because UA said "they miss me" - i haven't bought a plugin in over a year...

It's cool. The LA2a and 1176 still sound pretty good. A shame they have no resale value though. I guess that's one argument where hardware kills software...

One good thing - it supports Lion. I can upgrade now :-)
Coupon expired before this morning at 12 am of course.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

UA have said publicly that they are working on 64 bit and that it is taking time. They also said that it would not be in 6.0 before 6.0 shipped (today).
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

The Brainworx and SPL plugins are already available in native formats from those companies, I'm trying really hard to see the point of locking them to a UAD card when that precious DSP is needed for other hungry UA plugins.

I think UA's business model is the same as Apple's.. they're both hardware companies that produce software to push hardware sales. And honestly, if a company has the resources, it seems like a very good business model.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Software

I think the only upside for me is that there is no more plugin wrapper. Pretty disappointed otherwise

I too would like to see 64 bit support.....
Old 1st September 2011
t_d
Lives for gear

i KNOW!! only *twelve* mixdown machines! for $350!

what a rip off! my project with 13 master busses is total **** now.

**** that, i'm going to spend $48,000 on twelve real ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post

Only 12 stereo Ampex instances with QUAD card! What???

And the prices! Jesus!

Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I think (read: hope) he was kidding.

- c
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:

- c
I do do this for a 'living.' But I live a meager existence as a result, since (for now) I only work on projects that interest me. I do other jobs to cover the lean months.

I'm fine with dough being shuttled Ampex's way (well, actually? I'm a little miffed, because the Ampex of today is a far cry from the Ampex that developed the ATR-102...they don't even manufacture tape anymore, let alone decks-so here they are pretending to have all this expertise, when I'm sure most of the people that made Ampex what it was are long gone). Fancy licensing aside, that doesn't change the fact that UAD plugs have risen in price, about 75% on average since I got in the game 6 years ago. That's quite a marked jump, and one I can't afford to hang with. But, like I said, the older plugs still sound fine, and I get a lot of instances...

As for the ATR-102 plug being subtle...did you listen to the video? Even through headphones I could hear the difference. The 30ips, thick-width emu maybe not so much, but the sound of "tape" at 15ips is obvious.

It's no matter. I track on tape all the time, i mixdown to a 1/4'' deck at 15ips that I got used and fixed it up for less than the combined cost of a UAD-2 card and the ATR-102 plugin, and it sounds pretty nice to me, so you are right, this plugin isn't for me, i have the reel thing
Old 1st September 2011
t_d
Lives for gear

part of me did, too.. so i made sure my reply could go both ways

Quote:
I think (read: hope) he was kidding.

- c
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Coupon expired before this morning at 12 am of course.
wasn't gonna use it anyway! took a look at the options and...meh. already have the precision de-esser and pultec! (two cheapo plugs)
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post

I think UA's business model is the same as Apple's.. they're both hardware companies that produce software to push hardware sales. And honestly, if a company has the resources, it seems like a very good business model.
I disagree

Apple product were always pricey,

UAD's prices were very fair at the begining ,

Apple charge you for very good quality product and pleasant design and tend to charge you softly for their app

UA overcharge you for a dongle and then overcharge you for plugins that run on it.

Their prices strategy are totally different and the most important part for me (long time and loyal user) : UA just change their price range but in the wrong direction for customers.

UA priced out all the hobbyists that let them become what they are today.

As a long time PC windows user (20 years), I buy iphone, ipad and mba during the last 2 years and bought no other plugins from UA on the same period (and I assure you I was a big lover with most of their plugins running on my quad and 2 UAD-1)

To my own point of view the new UA strategy is just a mistake.

they just priced me out and lost most of the simpathy I feel for them.

and this v6 just make me feel UA=greedyness

the so Evil-ish Wave company just become a friendly partners compared to what UA is today

I don't even understand the price of the spl/brainworx UAD plugins considering all the limitation du to the dsp dongle and the fact it's a crackproof system

on the other side they do what they want, they don't need me (and people like me) anymore to make profit.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search