The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio V6 arrived
Old 7th September 2011
  #211
Lives for gear
 

?

The vouchers are still $500 for Flexi
Old 7th September 2011
  #212
Deleted User
Guest
Downloaded the v6 this evening. I have no problem with this update. I just don't feel angry or upset about anything.

But then again I drink a lot of scotch and screw a lot of models. Hmm?
Old 7th September 2011
  #213
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath View Post
?

The vouchers are still $500 for Flexi
the promotion running at the moment is in addition to the existing $500 flexi/ $50 regular voucher.

The Premium Plug-In Promotion

I thought I had done well but matt above, sheesh !
Old 7th September 2011
  #214
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounddesigner View Post
Those benchmarks are VERY skewed. The computer's power is measured in the best possible light (extreme overclocking, wich Intel does not even support and many users like me don't overclock but use official specs. 4.7ghz is extreme no matter what builders say, either way it's not true specs and not supported by intel). The uad-2 quad was put in the worst light since only one quad was used. You've essentially compared part of a platform (one quad wich is like one core, 4 uad-2 quads is a complete multi-core system) to a more complete platform Sandy-bridge i7 with many cores and threads. The full power of both platforms was NOT compared. You have to measure the total available power of each platform that forms one single system that's official and supported. Sure if your looking at power per dollar/bang-for-buck then the comparison was valid since a i7 can be built for about $900 - $1500 and the uad-2 quad costs $1500 (keep in mind the uad comes with some plugins and a voucher). So in terms of bang-for-buck price it's a valid benchmark but in terms of measuring the full power of both platforms it's not.

Also the benchmarks seem to reveal the in-efficiency of computers. The Sandybridge i7 is 100 gflops, your overclocking makes it around 140gflops. The uad-2 quad is only 9.6 gflops wich is around 7% the power of the 140gflops i7. 400 Vitalizers from the i7 sandybridge compared to 56 of the uad-2 quad does not show 14x the power only around 7x.

Truly two different platforms can't be compared, especially since there are too many variables that can cause a plugin that runs on both to be in-efficient on one and efficient on another. My proof is with the brainworx bx_digital v2 wich runs on all platforms. The scope xite-1 is almost 3x the power of a uad-2 quad but the uad-2 quad can run more brainworx eq's then my xite-1 due to several reasons. Plugins don't necessarily reveal the power of each processor platform from a technical point but from a users individual-need point sure plugins are revealing.

As a main processor sure the uad-2 quad is underpowered but it is not a main processor it is a co-processor. The uad-2 quad power is solely for effects and the computers power is for effects, synths, samplers, hosts, OS, internet, audio tracks, automation, etc. If you think about how much power the computer has for solely effects it might not be that much since it has to do other things with the rest of its power. So the uad may be good for adding more effects processing power where someones computer don't have much in that regard due to other things. An expander wich is what the uad is does'nt need to have as much power as the main processor and does'nt do all the tasks as the main processor, it's only there to expand available power not replace it. Your benchmark shows the uad at ruffly 1/7th the power wich is good as a expander. The only problem is the huge price of the uad for some people (not all) wich keeps it from being a good bang-for-buck expander. But this is a price arguement more then a lack of power one.

Even if the uad-2 quad was as powerfull as the sandybridge in your benchmark the same problem remains for UA wich is most people don't need more then the sandybridge alone. The power from the uad quad is still not needed even if it measures equally to the i7. Trying to get into the bang-for-buck market with their dsp cards and plugins would make UA possibly fail. They can't afford to match the extremely cheap prices of one-man-show plugin developers and can't afford to match the price of intel so they go to the part of the market where they can best survive and that's the high-end/high-priced. Some may not feel that uad belongs in the high-end but the market has clearly accepted them as high-end and stated otherwise. How many Native developers do you know can sell their plugins with a $1500 dsp card or dongle in this i7 era? UA has accomplished something VERY special by doing this. They've been selling their expensive dsp cards for over 3 years now at $1500 a pop, i assure you VERY few companies can achieve this, even SSL and Waves failed at it. Heck many of the best Native plugin developers started out on dsp platforms but realize it was too tuff to survive there thus they went Native. Surviving in dsp world is no small feat and when done is a clear statement by the market as to what's high-end and prefered simply because other companies can't do it.

dsp's won't ever stay at low-price range, sure they are low priced at times (like when the dsp's are really old and the money needed to be made has already been made) but they won't stay there due to far more developing dsp developers have to do compared to Native plugin developers (a complete platform of hardware and software is far more work then a few native plugins).

I do feel the uad platform is grossly overpriced but what i feel is irrelevent cause the market feels otherwise.


EDITED
I forgot to add but now i will. I was able to run 400 vitalizers and my CPU ASIO meter (not overall system performance) was at 89%.

My CPU readings (when i press play) from windows task manager are....14% (yes it is number 14) So ASIO is peaking at 89%, windows at 14% - Meaning (and fully working in practice) that i was able to run Autodesk Autocad, 3D Studio max and Photoshop in the background, browsing internet and whatnot. Yes fully working. Yesterday i tried to render 3D scene in Artlantis with my 400 vitalizers running. No problem.

For the less gifted - we are speaking about scores. Not about the plugins and how do they sound. We do not ditch uad or powercore or whatever(at least i don't). We are merely trying to speak about benchmarks of same plugin on different platforms.


edit: a lot of people are pleased with v6. I am looking forward to try it. I just don't want to run that ampex demo until i catch three or four days in a line to test it properly. I fear that i might buy it but my financial manager (girl) won't like it..Oh crap..
Old 7th September 2011
  #215
Lives for gear
 
Billy Buck's Avatar
 

Hmmm........I was pleasantly surprised to notice recently that UA has changed part of their demo policy. I am not sure when it started (v5.9?), but now it seems that every time you purchase a UAD-2 plug-in from the UA online store, UA resets all of the 14-day demo periods on any still un-purchased plug-ins.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 7th September 2011
  #216
Lives for gear
 
Sounddesigner's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
I forgot to add but now i will. I was able to run 400 vitalizers and my CPU ASIO meter (not overall system performance) was at 89%.

My CPU readings (when i press play) from windows task manager are....14% (yes it is number 14) So ASIO is peaking at 89%, windows at 14% - Meaning (and fully working in practice) that i was able to run Autodesk Autocad, 3D Studio max and Photoshop in the background, browsing internet and whatnot. Yes fully working. Yesterday i tried to render 3D scene in Artlantis with my 400 vitalizers running. No problem.

For the less gifted - we are speaking about scores. Not about the plugins and how do they sound. We do not ditch uad or powercore or whatever(at least i don't). We are merely trying to speak about benchmarks of same plugin on different platforms.


edit: a lot of people are pleased with v6. I am looking forward to try it. I just don't want to run that ampex demo until i catch three or four days in a line to test it properly. I fear that i might buy it but my financial manager (girl) won't like it..Oh crap..
14% power usage in Task Manager is quite impressive. But the Asio limitation sums up the whole story about computers "Immense power that's greatly under-harnessed". The inefficiency is still there for audio use.

I'm fully aware that 4.7GHZ Sandy bridge is some serious power , and more power than most Music Producers need ATM (Plugins are getting hungrier aswell as other things so the near future i think will be a different story).

I don't have anything to contribute to the topic so i'll stop hijacking. Even tho i've moved on from UAD i still keep a eye on that platform's latest releases. UA are talented developers.
Old 7th September 2011
  #217
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Buck View Post
Hmmm........I was pleasantly surprised to notice recently that UA has changed part of their demo policy. I am not sure when it started (v5.9?), but now it seems that every time you purchase a UAD-2 plug-in from the UA online store, UA resets all of the 14-day demo periods on any still un-purchased plug-ins.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Wow, that's pretty cool! I haven't bought a plug in some time. Pretty smart of them. They understand "the shopping urge". When u buy one plug, you might go on a spree, right? And if you used your demo, you prolly like it that much. So, smartly, reset the demo. Gotta love these guys for thinking outside the box. Not many companies would venture that deeply into behavioral economics. Cheers UAD!

Seriously, the only software EQ that Ive heard, that sounds as sweet as the UAD massive passive, but in a totally different way, is the SSL X-EQ. I gotta check this aforementioned EQ out. I've also heard that PSP makes a fairly stunning EQ.

I think the UAD is a great foundation. I feel the same way about SSL Duende. Solid companies with decent support and a long history. Products sound great ...

I just can't get angry!!

I can't wait to get into the ampex today ; D
Old 8th September 2011
  #218
Gear Maniac
 

I was wondering if anyone was having issues with their V.6. I can't get the driver to install for some reason. I did a complete uninstall as UA stepped out the procedure. When the installer gets to installing the driver it fails. Even doing a complete uninstall, powering off, pulling out the card, booting up, installing V.6, powering off, putting in card then booting up still doesn't work. In doing so the windows wizard pops up and locates my card and installs the driver successfully but then the window pops open again, and again, and again. It was a never ending cycle. I let it go for an hour and when I cancelled the driver failed to install... I tried everything again but nothing changed.

UA doesn't know what's causing this. Does anyone here have a clue?
Old 8th September 2011
  #219
Deleted User
Guest
I installed it today and one small glitch with the UAD monitor window being open. After that it installed smoothly.

Sorry about your troubles man ; /
Old 8th September 2011
  #220
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
I installed it today and one small glitch with the UAD monitor window being open. After that it installed smoothly.

Sorry about your troubles man ; /
Thanks man...

Just wish I knew how to fix it. I did find a thread on another forum dating back in 2008 and this guy had the same problem as I do. The link where he says how he fixed is dead now though
Old 8th September 2011
  #221
Lives for gear
 
marchhare's Avatar
 

Anyone try the Vitalizer yet? I think it's amazing. Sounds way better to me
than the native version, which I didn't like at all.
Old 8th September 2011
  #222
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
Anyone try the Vitalizer yet? I think it's amazing. Sounds way better to me
than the native version, which I didn't like at all.
I think they are the same however i need to spend more time with it. First thing i noticed that knobs are not scaled directly meaning you can not tweak something on one and expect same sound with same knob position on another.

IMO they are bot sounding good and i am glad that UAD users can enjoy it for whatever reason they want to run it on UAD card.
Old 9th September 2011
  #223
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop666 View Post
Computer tech advances? No way, pal. This is still the best Cubase:







heh

When screens still had tubes (!).
This brings back some happy Memories of notator. the ol days!
Old 10th September 2011
  #224
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
i feel the market deserves to know that UADs Sharcs deliver less performance than CPUs which have been released in the same year like UAD2s

after V6 im feeling guilty of selling my unpacked DUOs at a 50% discount
I don't see that as an issue. That's like complaining that your NVIDIA graphics card isn't as fast as your Intel CPU. I wonder if these same discussions happen in games forums with geeks compaining about the cost of their graphics cards and why all that specialised processing can't be run native on the CPU.

To get on topic, I haven't used the new 6.0 features but I am loving the EMT-250.
Old 10th September 2011
  #225
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDW View Post
I wonder if these same discussions happen in games forums with geeks compaining about the cost of their graphics cards and why all that specialised processing can't be run native on the CPU.
Old 10th September 2011
  #226
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilDW View Post
I don't see that as an issue. That's like complaining that your NVIDIA graphics card isn't as fast as your Intel CPU. I wonder if these same discussions happen in games forums with geeks compaining about the cost of their graphics cards and why all that specialised processing can't be run native on the CPU.

To get on topic, I haven't used the new 6.0 features but I am loving the EMT-250.
You don't see too many $1500 graphics cards do you? heh
Old 10th September 2011
  #227
Lives for gear
 

if i remember correctly my graphics card opened 6 EMT 140s
Old 13th September 2011
  #229
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
Anyone try the Vitalizer yet? I think it's amazing. Sounds way better to me
than the native version, which I didn't like at all.
TDM/RTAS/UAD - SPL Vitalizer all versions null here.
Old 13th September 2011
  #230
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
TDM/RTAS/UAD - SPL Vitalizer all versions null here.
Same here. Just to let know to all the fools out there thinking that UAD version sounds better >)
Old 13th September 2011
  #231
Lives for gear
 

Any way to get PT9 to see only authorized plugins?

(sorry, new to PT land)

k
Old 13th September 2011
  #232
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenkonio View Post
Same here. Just to let know to all the fools out there thinking that UAD version sounds better >)
Thanks for that. So, going native is always cheaper and better in this case. :D
Old 13th September 2011
  #233
Lives for gear
 
s.d.finley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulata View Post
Any way to get PT9 to see only authorized plugins?

(sorry, new to PT land)

k
Just remove the un authed ones from your PT plug in folder.
Old 13th September 2011
  #234
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomcore View Post
Thanks for that. So, going native is always cheaper and better in this case. :D
My UAD vitalizer cost me under $30 in the end due to vouchers and specials, how much does the native one cost ?
Old 13th September 2011
  #235
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
doing a 5.1 mix today still no multi-mono plug-ins AHHH!!!
Old 13th September 2011
  #236
Administrator
 
Grahamdwc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
Right so nothing actually to say in reply then ? A witty retort indeed.

Nice to have an "intelligent" discussion with you

If you dont have a UAD card or dont have the money to buy one , or any intention of buying one, why are you posting here ?

Some guy I have never heard of in my life posting facepalms is hardly going to make me think I have made a mistake in buying UAD so good luck to you love.
It wasn't a debate it was the pair of you insulting each other.
Get over it the two of you please.

Graham
Old 13th September 2011
  #237
Lives for gear


ns
Old 13th September 2011
  #238
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulata View Post
Any way to get PT9 to see only authorized plugins?

(sorry, new to PT land)

k
This might help

matt
Old 13th September 2011
  #239
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
It wasn't a debate it was the pair of you insulting each other.
Get over it the two of you please.

Graham
Over it and out.
It had become a battle of wits with an unarmed man as it was.
Well, I guess a man armed with nothing but overused star trek jpegs
Old 13th September 2011
  #240
Administrator
 
Grahamdwc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
Over it and out.
It had become a battle of wits with an unarmed man as it was.
Well, I guess a man armed with nothing but overused star trek jpegs
Lol.

Graham
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump