The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio V6 arrived
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
You are really serious in twisting and marginalizing other people points aren't you? I think you are the only one here in this thread(if not whole forum) who thinks that people actually use 400 vitalizers per mix(i know you don't think so but since you are fighting this way...).

It was purely artificial benchmark not used in context of mixing or soundwise. I'll repeat it was purely benchmark. Given in context of same plugin instances on one platform compared to another..Benchmark. B...

Those benchmarks are VERY skewed. The computer's power is measured in the best possible light (extreme overclocking, wich Intel does not even support and many users like me don't overclock but use official specs. 4.7ghz is extreme no matter what builders say, either way it's not true specs and not supported by intel). The uad-2 quad was put in the worst light since only one quad was used. You've essentially compared part of a platform (one quad wich is like one core, 4 uad-2 quads is a complete multi-core system) to a more complete platform Sandy-bridge i7 with many cores and threads. The full power of both platforms was NOT compared. You have to measure the total available power of each platform that forms one single system that's official and supported. Sure if your looking at power per dollar/bang-for-buck then the comparison was valid since a i7 can be built for about $900 - $1500 and the uad-2 quad costs $1500 (keep in mind the uad comes with some plugins and a voucher). So in terms of bang-for-buck price it's a valid benchmark but in terms of measuring the full power of both platforms it's not.

Also the benchmarks seem to reveal the in-efficiency of computers. The Sandybridge i7 is 100 gflops, your overclocking makes it around 140gflops. The uad-2 quad is only 9.6 gflops wich is around 7% the power of the 140gflops i7. 400 Vitalizers from the i7 sandybridge compared to 56 of the uad-2 quad does not show 14x the power only around 7x.

Truly two different platforms can't be compared, especially since there are too many variables that can cause a plugin that runs on both to be in-efficient on one and efficient on another. My proof is with the brainworx bx_digital v2 wich runs on all platforms. The scope xite-1 is almost 3x the power of a uad-2 quad but the uad-2 quad can run more brainworx eq's then my xite-1 due to several reasons. Plugins don't necessarily reveal the power of each processor platform from a technical point but from a users individual-need point sure plugins are revealing.

As a main processor sure the uad-2 quad is underpowered but it is not a main processor it is a co-processor. The uad-2 quad power is solely for effects and the computers power is for effects, synths, samplers, hosts, OS, internet, audio tracks, automation, etc. If you think about how much power the computer has for solely effects it might not be that much since it has to do other things with the rest of its power. So the uad may be good for adding more effects processing power where someones computer don't have much in that regard due to other things. An expander wich is what the uad is does'nt need to have as much power as the main processor and does'nt do all the tasks as the main processor, it's only there to expand available power not replace it. Your benchmark shows the uad at ruffly 1/7th the power wich is good as a expander. The only problem is the huge price of the uad for some people (not all) wich keeps it from being a good bang-for-buck expander. But this is a price arguement more then a lack of power one.

Even if the uad-2 quad was as powerfull as the Sandybridge in your benchmark the same problem remains for UA wich is most people don't need more than the Sandybridge alone. The power from the uad-2 quad is still not needed even if it measures equally to the i7. Trying to get into the bang-for-buck market with their dsp cards and plugins would make UA possibly fail. They can't afford to match the extremely cheap prices of one-man-show plugin developers and can't afford to match the price of intel so they go to the part of the market where they can best survive and that's the high-end/high-priced. Some may not feel that uad belongs in the high-end but the market has clearly accepted them as high-end and stated otherwise. How many Native developers do you know can sell their plugins with a $1500 dsp card or dongle in this i7 era? UA has accomplished something VERY special by doing this. They've been selling their expensive dsp cards for over 3 years now at $1500 a pop, i assure you VERY few companies can achieve this, even SSL and Waves failed at it. Heck many of the best Native plugin developers started out on dsp platforms but realize it was too tuff to survive there thus they went Native. Surviving in dsp world is no small feat and when done is a clear statement by the market as to what's high-end and prefered simply because other companies can't do it.

dsp's won't ever stay at low-price range, sure they are low priced at times (like when the dsp's are really old and the money needed to be made has already been made) but they won't stay there due to far more developing dsp developers have to do compared to Native plugin developers (a complete platform of hardware and software is far more work then a few native plugins).

I do feel the uad platform is grossly overpriced but what i feel is irrelevent cause the market feels otherwise.

EDITED
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
sure , thats where im at.
the additional power is a bonus but not the be all and end all for me
Absolutely, the reason to go UAD is for access to UA's entire catalog of vintage audio hardware plug-in emulations and not for any perceived CPU savings. Although, it is a nice bonus, it is nothing to hang your hat on. I am more interested in opening my DAW and seeing my custom wallpaper filled with racks of classic gear that I can open up and use at any time, in any session!

Spoken like a true gearslutz! heh

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 5th September 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Buck View Post
..... I am more interested in opening my DAW and seeing my custom wallpaper filled with racks of classic gear that I can open up and use at any time, in any session!
Whatever gets you through the day i guess.

Graham
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

i never thought of the UAD cards as a way to offload processing from my computer. I've always understood them as being a necessary thing in order to run UA's plug in line.

and i haven't gotten a feeling from the company itself that they push them as comparable to the power of a PC. it seems more like they sell the value of a quad in the context of their own line of products. meaning the quad is marketed more as being 4 times a solo, with instance counts stated in relation to other UAD2 or UAD1 cards.
i haven't looked much at their marketing for the cards themselves, tho, maybe they do sell that angle of it.

it's just never struck me that way. i do think the cards are a bit overpriced, but, honestly, only slightly. cuz i'm not even comparing to my computer and native plug ins at all, i'm thinking of the cards as the means to run these plug ins. i don't see why this isn't obvious to everyone else.

for me, access to their plug in line is well worth the amount i've spent both on the plugs and on the cards. i use a lot of native stuff too, but with a few exceptions, i'm using it to fill in the blanks where i don't have enough UAD card power.

the setup they got seems pretty smart to me and i don't know why anyone would wanna give that up if it was still working well. which appears the case right now. if i was them, i'd really be all over 64 bit and VST3 and sidechaining/ABCD presets and every little knick knack complaint that their user base has. those are the things that should be easy for them to do, it just takes hours on the clock. borrow some money, get all that stuff done. cuz if they can keep people happy, they got it made.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey All-

I saw a few posts (maybe 3) on this thread of people looking for actual reviews of people using the product. Acutally using the product in a mix. It's my opinion that the vast majority of the people on this thread have never once used a UAD2 plug (not including the ones who have stated they run the UAD platform).

Anyways, I started a thread for discussing their new plugs as I'll be demoing them for the next couple weeks and am interested to see others experiences using them as well.

Here's the link to the thread. (it's under 'music computers')

Scott
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcasound View Post
Been using UAD since 2004 - that means 3 x UAD-1's ... then jumped to a UAD-2 DUO, and just recently added an additional DUA - I wasn't happy about upgrading - but in this line of work... technology is overhead...

Yes I agree completely with the main gripes -
- their pricing, yes it is a bit steep -for the cards and the plugs.. - but, hands down - their
plugs are excellent, updates a breeze, customer service - top notch.,
- native - would be great, given the robustness of today's computers. - I would think they
would let the folks at apple worry about processing speeds and get out of that rat race -
- 64bit support- while for some - it seems useless, but for those of us using DAWS that support 64bit, and for those of you that will soon have that ability - it is very important to our daily work flow - and a real headache, when dealing with 32bit bridges....

V6 is yet another stable release - some great strides made for the PT users - and for the rest of us.... its rock solid - like 98% of their previous software releases.

I truly dont think UA is sitting on a mountain of cash in CA, laughing at the "fools" that keep buying their "over priced dongels" - I dont think they are sitting their using smoke and mirrors to try and deceive consumers with "doctored" A/B tests of their plugs vs vintage gear for their promo videos..

I believe that UA is well aware of how their UAD-2 platform stands up against native systems, and plug in counts - I'm sure they are also aware of the vast amount of pirated native plugs that are floating around and understandably they want to avoid that.

It does cost a certain price to join the "UAD" club - most UAD users will agree that the plugs are excellent and worth the price of admission. For those that don't use UAD - its easy to pick them apart -
For those guys that are in the UAD club - they've got some weapons in their arsenal - that "joe blow- the pirate" can't grab via torrents -- it's frustrating - I mean most of us work very hard at what we do. Their is a significant cost and investment we all make in keeping up with technology. However the guy down the street charging $25.00 an hour is boasting Waves Mercury, soft tube, etc etc. - and he didn't pay a dime for any of them.
I like the fact that UA plugs are out of reach for "some".

I would like to see UA come up with a hybrid solution where the UAD-2 cards can still handle processing and authorizations, and give users the benefit of native usage as well - if this is possible, I have no idea- I'm not a software developer. - But that would still avoid the piracy issues that plague many manufacturers, make the UAD-2 more reliant on native power. They could even go one step further and drop the prices on the Cards -
+ 1
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounddesigner View Post
I do feel the uad platform is grossly overpriced but what i feel is irrelevent cause the market feels otherwise.
i feel the market deserves to know that UADs Sharcs deliver less performance than CPUs which have been released in the same year like UAD2s

after V6 im feeling guilty of selling my unpacked DUOs at a 50% discount
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post
The very few UA apologists in this thread makes me laugh.

4 UAD-2 Quads costs over 5000€. Just think of what kind of computer you can get with that money.

UAD plugins are nothing special and I know, ´cause I´ve used them for many years. There are far better and far cheaper native plugins out there.

It´s just hype (and very clever/cunning marketing), ´cause the plugins haven´t been cracked.

The card is just overpriced dongle that limits the use of these plugins and creates other annoying problems for your system.

Period.
Well presumably you dont use UAD plugs any more then? Yes, for 5000 you could get an amazing computer, that wont run UAD plugins. Clearly, people who do use them think the card is worth it, and they also disagree about other options being far better. Most people also work around the shortcomings of the system and bounce/freeze stuff, or just use different options, rather than buy 4 quads just so they can be constantly tweaking 20 massive passives and fatsos on every track.

If you don't like UAD, I've heard of this amazing new state of the art compressor plugin, it's called 'blockfish'. It's free, you'll love it.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
4 UAD-2 Quads costs over 5000€. Just think of what kind of computer you can get with that money.
I hope your ears are better than your shopping expertise because I can pickup up a new QUAD for $1250US right now (free shipping/no tax) and get $897 back in free plug-ins (Studer A800, Massive Passive & EMT-250)

Quote:
UAD plugins are nothing special and I know, ´cause I've used them for many years. There are far better and far cheaper native plugins out there.
Yeah we know, you have the golden ears and everybody else is stone tone deaf!

There is obviously nothing here for you, so why don't you stop insulting our personal buying decisions and move on to another thread. The last thing I want is somebody who thinks they are trying to save me from myself. See ya!

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechwood View Post
Well presumably you dont use UAD plugs any more then?
I do, there are some goodies like the de-esser and 33609, but generally there are far better and cheaper plugins in native side. For example EQuality smokes every single UAD-2 EQ. It can do everything much better and it´s only 99£ and 64-bit!

Quote:
Yes, for 5000 you could get an amazing computer, that wont run UAD plugins.
That´s right, you get a killer computer with SSDs and the whole works and you´ll still have money left to buy better native plugins that won´t clog your system.

Quote:
Clearly, people who do use them think the card is worth it...
Not me and apparently many others.

Quote:
If you don't like UAD, I've heard of this amazing new state of the art compressor plugin, it's called 'blockfish'. It's free, you'll love it.
Blockfish sucks.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
US is US, try that in EU.

UNIVERSAL AUDIO UAD-2 QUAD - Thomann UK Cyberstore

No addtional free plugins like the ones you mentioned.

My ears are great thank you very much.

There were no insults, it was just the truth that hurt you.
I bought one from thomann a week or so ago and got the additional free plugins. I was worried it wouldnt arrive by the end of the month but was told the promotion runs this month too.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Do we need to have a little discussion about the difference between subjective and objective?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I bought one from thomann a week or so ago and got the additional free plugins. I was worried it wouldnt arrive by the end of the month but was told the promotion runs this month too.
What if you already have the Manley and Studer? Do you get other plugins with the same value? I think not. Or what if you bought the card in July? Or cannot buy one until next month?

Promos are promos, they are not every day, you can´t count them in the price. And even with the promos the UAD-2 platform is still way overpriced.

Besides there are plenty of promos in native side too. Also you get them usually cheaper than the list price, if you know where to buy.

UA is nothing special with their promos. They have just better marketing. And what makes people foolishly buy things = MARKETING.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
What if you already have the Manley and Studer? Do you get other plugins with the same value? I think not.
WRONG AGAIN ! lol
If you already have a card you get a $897 voucher. heh
So if you had the Manley and Studer you would have a card, so you would get a voucher to spend on whatever you want. Thats my understanding based on what happened with me anyway.

I got 6 plugins I didnt have for $173 , awesome awesome deal imo.

Did you apologise to Billy Buck already ?

Quote:
Promos are promos, they are not every day, you can´t count them in the price. And even with the promos the UAD-2 platform is still way overpriced.
UAD run a promo every month. So yeah, they are every day .

Last edited by mattyc; 6th September 2011 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Do you get the 800$ voucher for every quad you buy? Or only for the 1st?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop666 View Post
no idea, email them and ask maybe. one quad is more than enough for me at the moment !

also dont forget
- $50 voucher with the card (so $947 total)
and
- if you buy a v6 plugin you get 30% off other plugins if you buy 2 or more.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
WRONG AGAIN ! lol
If you already have a card you get a $897 voucher. heh
So if you had the Manley and Studer you would have a card, so you would get a voucher to spend on whatever you want. Thats my understanding based on what happened with me anyway.

I got 6 plugins I didnt have for $173 , awesome awesome deal imo.
Nope, not wrong. You are wrong. I just didn´t know about the voucher, hence my questions in my last post.

If you already own a Quad card or bought it in the wrong month, you get NOTHING! But yes indeed you´ll get a voucher, if you buy a new Quad this month.

Quote:
UAD run a promo every month. So yeah, they are every day .
Yes, that´s clever/cunning marketing. The promos are just way to make you spend more money and invest more into their system. You´ll never get anything for free, that´s for sure, although it may seem that way to you and get you all worked up and excited. That´s good marketing, nothing to do with the quality of the plugins which is nothing special. Far better plugins in native side.

Still overpriced and nothing special clumsy platform.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
What if you already have the Manley and Studer? Do you get other plugins with the same value? I think not. Or what if you bought the card in July? Or cannot buy one until next month?
Quote:
Nope, not wrong. You are wrong. I just didn´t know about the voucher, hence my questions in my last post.

If you already own a Quad card or bought it in the wrong month, you get NOTHING! But yes indeed you´ll get a voucher, if you buy a new Quad this month.
I takes a big man to admit hes wrong. At least you were able to admit you are ignorant of the facts, thats a start. heh

If you already own a Quad card you get the vouchers also
(the following is copy pasted from uaudio site)

Already own a UAD DSP Accelerator? No problem. Purchase and register any new UAD-2 hardware and you'll receive a UAD Powered Plug-In coupon of equal value (i.e. $249, $548, or $897), redeemable through October 31st, 2011 for any UAD plug-in, up to and including UAD Software v.5.8.*

* Note: Plug-In coupons are not redeemable toward the new Lexicon 224 Classic Digital Reverb plug-in (UAD v.5.9), nor any plug-ins introduced thereafter (i.e. UAD v.6.0 and beyond). Coupons received as part of this promotion cannot be redeemed toward the UAD 4K/SSL Crossgrade offer. All coupons must be redeemed by October 31st, 2011. This promotion is valid ONLY on newly purchased UAD-2 hardware, between July 1st and September 30th, and cannot be combined with UAD-2 hardware received as part of any other hardware/software promotion.

your opinions are of course as valid as anyone elses (I liked the one about the 1073 sounding like an mp3 the best) but when you start trying to talk about facts and telling people they are wrong when they are not then its a different story

so now you need to apologise to Billy Buck AND to me
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well name me a native plugin that smokes the ATR-102... Or stop whyninnggggggggg plz. Or have you been too busy moaning about the platform that you haven't demoed V6 yet?

I'd like to hear this Equality against the UAD Massivo.. Has to be one helluva EQ plug to smoke that one..

U say ppl who use UAD are morons.. Sheesh. Actually.... !
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I takes a big man to admit hes wrong. At least you were able to admit you are ignorant of the facts, thats a start. heh

If you already own a Quad card you get the vouchers also
(the following is copy pasted from uaudio site)

Already own a UAD DSP Accelerator? No problem. Purchase and register any new UAD-2 hardware and you'll receive a UAD Powered Plug-In coupon of equal value (i.e. $249, $548, or $897), redeemable through October 31st, 2011 for any UAD plug-in, up to and including UAD Software v.5.8.*

* Note: Plug-In coupons are not redeemable toward the new Lexicon 224 Classic Digital Reverb plug-in (UAD v.5.9), nor any plug-ins introduced thereafter (i.e. UAD v.6.0 and beyond). Coupons received as part of this promotion cannot be redeemed toward the UAD 4K/SSL Crossgrade offer. All coupons must be redeemed by October 31st, 2011. This promotion is valid ONLY on newly purchased UAD-2 hardware, between July 1st and September 30th, and cannot be combined with UAD-2 hardware received as part of any other hardware/software promotion.

your opinions are of course as valid as anyone elses (I liked the one about the 1073 sounding like an mp3 the best) but when you start trying to talk about facts and telling people they are wrong when they are not then its a different story

so now you need to apologise to Billy Buck AND to me
Can´t you read?

I already own two Quad cards and I haven´t gotten any vouchers.

Now be a man and admit that you are wrong.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsutek View Post

U say ppl who use UAD are morons.. Sheesh.
i'm a fully fledged moron heh.. anyone else?
Old 6th September 2011
now everyone calm down or I close it.

if you don't like their prices, supported software, plugins, the company.. DO NOT POST.. IGNORE THEIR PRODUCTS TILL THE DAY YOU DIE...

thank you.

out
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can´t you read?

I already own two Quad cards and I haven´t gotten any vouchers.

Now be a man and admit that you are wrong.
Ah I see. Ok now I'm sorry, my problem was I didnt think that you thought that the promos were to be applied retrospectively !!!
So I apologize for that.

Anyways must run, got to get to the bakery to get a refund on the bread I bought last week as it's a bit stale now.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

I´m sorry about my politically incorrect hate speech.

I didn´t know having (the wrong) opinions in a open public opinion forum was not allowed.

Over and out from this thread.

Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

maybe you didnt buy the flexi or omni packages? that would explain why you got no vouchers.
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
I´m sorry about my politically incorrect hate speech.

I didn´t know having (the wrong) opinions in a open public opinion forum was not allowed.

Over and out from this thread.

opinions are allright. but stop to fight/HATE a certain tool/company.

UA marketing is one of the best in the gearbusiness and I do agree that their products are sometimes discussable. that's not your problem. if you don't like it, ignore it. I do the same thing.

free minds and opinions welcome. this thread is about UA V6.

cheers
George
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Entitlement societies breeds hate. They think they are entitled to Native versions of UAD plugins.
Old 6th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop666 View Post
Every one. Note that what you can spend it on is limited by the small print.

matt
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
Every one. Note that what you can spend it on is limited by the small print.

matt
That's a lot better deal than when I bought my two Quads. I had to buy the Flexi which was more expensive and was only a $500 voucher, $50 without Flexi.
Old 6th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
That's a lot better deal than when I bought my two Quads. I had to buy the Flexi which was more expensive and was only a $500 voucher, $50 without Flexi.
Yeah, I just bought two, one Flexi and one normal and got $2344 worth of vouchers, some with restrictions.

matt
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search