The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio V6 arrived
Old 4th September 2011
Deleted User
I sold my hardware Massive Passive after using the UAD for a while.

I think UAD is very useful and a good value when used with other plugs, decent converters and well designed outboard. For example, compared with an SSL Xrack loaded with just 8 comps or EQ costs $7000usd. A lot of people bitched at SSL about the cost of the power supply. You don't hear this so much anymore ... It still costs $1000usd.

From what I'm hearing, these new plugs sound much better than the earlier ones. Has anyone here followed the steinberg/portico plug thread? Seems that the newest plugs cost a lot more to develop, but also sound a lot better. It's a give and take.

I could never complain about the cost of uad I paid $2300usd for my API 2500. I haven't heard a software comp that sounds as sweet. But the Duende definitely competes with hardware on individual drums to my ears.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I certainly hope all the whiners are going to dump their cards on the used market.

People don't want to hear it, but all the profitability in pro audio is with high-end hobbyists (trust funders) and professionals. It's a race to the bottom for the low-end and mid-range hobbyists. If a company isn't serving you, it's because your type of customer isn't serving them. It's not complicated.

I don't doubt UA's sincerity about 64-bit, but it's a matter of priorities. They haven't had a legit Pro Tools product in years, and the exploding PT9 market was an opportunity they were about to miss.

This is just another reminder about who dominates the market -- not just in total users, but especially in terms of PAYING customers. It ain't Cubendo.

JSL
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
I certainly hope all the whiners are going to dump their cards on the used market.

People don't want to hear it, but all the profitability in pro audio is with high-end hobbyists (trust funders) and professionals. It's a race to the bottom for the low-end and mid-range hobbyists. If a company isn't serving you, it's because your type of customer isn't serving them. It's not complicated.

I don't doubt UA's sincerity about 64-bit, but it's a matter of priorities. They haven't had a legit Pro Tools product in years, and the exploding PT9 market was an opportunity they were about to miss.

This is just another reminder about who dominates the market -- not just in total users, but especially in terms of PAYING customers. It ain't Cubendo.

JSL
What use you have from some random company domination (if any)? It ain't pluggo - me thinks
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Why all the whining?
Nobody can make music without 10,000 plug ins on every god for saken track?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
If anybody ever decides to actually use the new UAD Ampex emulation, please tell us whether you think it's a worthwhile purchase and compare it to other tape sims. This thread reminds of the guys who create show cars. Ok, you've got a such and such paint job, this type of engine, this type of chrome, etc. etc. But can you drive the damn thing? And how is the ride?
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
Do me a favor and post a video showcasing 100 tracks running @ 24Bit/96kHz with audio on 80 of them, and hefty VSTi running on the other 20 being fed MIDI. Then add automation, buss them and the whole 9 yards. Then tell me how many Vitalizers you can run.
yeah would like to see this too
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
What use you have from some random company domination (if any)? It ain't pluggo - me thinks
I honestly don't understand your question.

JSL
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
Native Instance Count:

Done on Intel I7 [email protected] 3.8Ghz. It raises the clock from 2,1 Ghz to 3,8 ghz, depending on demand. Test is done with @ 48khz. The UAD Chart is done with 44.1 khz. Remember that this isn't even the newest (Sandy Bridge) CPU generation and we are about 6 - 8 months away from a possible milestone, because the next generation (Ivy Bridge) will feature CPUs with transistors build in all 3 dimensions (new: vertical).

SPL Vitalizer

32 Tracks 18% @ 2,1 Ghz
56 Tracks 40% @ 2,1 Ghz
96 Tracks 30% @ 3,8 Ghz
246 Tracks 81% @ 3,8 Ghz
270 instances @ 3,8 Ghz - 81% @ 44khz

I've choose 81% as max because beyond that point the system becomes, depending on the project, "nstable".
And there we have it. I guess it is time to say to some of the "OMG! UAD2 is so powerful!!" sheep: "Nope.. and I told you so". Some of us knew instantly that UAD2 was a letdown, as soon as the card was released. Quad core with subpar DSP performance, for 1500$? Each chip in the card cost something like 20$.. way less with todays prices.

UA was/is laughing all the way to the bank. I'm glad we got rid of our UAD-1 and never went with the new cards. We stuck to our guns and went native. Never regretted it! Best decision ever.

Cheers!
bManic
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
Do me a favor and post a video showcasing 100 tracks running @ 24Bit/96kHz with audio on 80 of them, and hefty VSTi running on the other 20 being fed MIDI. Then add automation, buss them and the whole 9 yards. Then tell me how many Vitalizers you can run.
That should be EASILY done with a current generation computer. Didn't you read what the guys posted? 400 instances of vitalizer.. at 89% cpu. That'd mean that around 100 viralizers eats up around 20% CPU. That means there is still at least 50% or more left before you get anywhere near the breakup point. Heck, if you run Reaper and have an RME sound card you can probably utilize up to 95% of your CPU without crackling.

Track count depends on the hard disk and basic compression and EQing tasks don't eat up a lot of CPU.

Trying to argue in defense for the UAD2 platform as a 1300$ DSP solution is just silly. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Lets just call it a dongle and accept it for what it is, a completely pirate free plugin environment (which is no small task in itself!).
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Been using UAD since 2004 - that means 3 x UAD-1's ... then jumped to a UAD-2 DUO, and just recently added an additional DUA - I wasn't happy about upgrading - but in this line of work... technology is overhead...

Yes I agree completely with the main gripes -
- their pricing, yes it is a bit steep -for the cards and the plugs.. - but, hands down - their
plugs are excellent, updates a breeze, customer service - top notch.,
- native - would be great, given the robustness of today's computers. - I would think they
would let the folks at apple worry about processing speeds and get out of that rat race -
- 64bit support- while for some - it seems useless, but for those of us using DAWS that support 64bit, and for those of you that will soon have that ability - it is very important to our daily work flow - and a real headache, when dealing with 32bit bridges....

V6 is yet another stable release - some great strides made for the PT users - and for the rest of us.... its rock solid - like 98% of their previous software releases.

I truly dont think UA is sitting on a mountain of cash in CA, laughing at the "fools" that keep buying their "over priced dongels" - I dont think they are sitting their using smoke and mirrors to try and deceive consumers with "doctored" A/B tests of their plugs vs vintage gear for their promo videos..

I believe that UA is well aware of how their UAD-2 platform stands up against native systems, and plug in counts - I'm sure they are also aware of the vast amount of pirated native plugs that are floating around and understandably they want to avoid that.

It does cost a certain price to join the "UAD" club - most UAD users will agree that the plugs are excellent and worth the price of admission. For those that don't use UAD - its easy to pick them apart -
For those guys that are in the UAD club - they've got some weapons in their arsenal - that "joe blow- the pirate" can't grab via torrents -- it's frustrating - I mean most of us work very hard at what we do. Their is a significant cost and investment we all make in keeping up with technology. However the guy down the street charging $25.00 an hour is boasting Waves Mercury, soft tube, etc etc. - and he didn't pay a dime for any of them.
I like the fact that UA plugs are out of reach for "some".

I would like to see UA come up with a hybrid solution where the UAD-2 cards can still handle processing and authorizations, and give users the benefit of native usage as well - if this is possible, I have no idea- I'm not a software developer. - But that would still avoid the piracy issues that plague many manufacturers, make the UAD-2 more reliant on native power. They could even go one step further and drop the prices on the Cards -
Old 5th September 2011
Deleted User
Yeah. What you typed above. You know guys, it's just one more great piece of kit to use. Some of it seems f'cked up: Like $8000usd for a neve 1073 or that it only adds "3%". If you love it you love it. Have a party.

The dude above referencing the show cars! Oh man!! That is the perfect analogy! Holy ****!! I bet that's what half the dudes here are about. And that's cool! who f'cking cares! no matter what folks are doing with the kit, if you own it and mess with it, you are golden in my book. It's like those guys that just did pc card specs. That was great ****. They prolly didn't even listen to music haha they were prolly listening to computer science podcasts. So ridiculous ; P
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by :deth:roxxmeowserz View Post
please no 64 bit right now! don't waste your time, UA. the majority of your customers probably care very little about 64 bits. don't give in to these strange pleas for 64 bits, i bet most of them, if u took a look at their systems & software that they use, aren't even set up to realize the benefits of 64 bits.

some of them are right and they probably would benefit, but please listen to me and don't do it. 64 bits makes me sick. i hope i never have to see this absurd monstrosity actually glorified enough to merit your attention.

64 bits is silly. and thank u for upholding some kind of barrier against these knee jerk loserz. i can't believe they worry so much about all these minute details. which is good now and then. ****.
Booh this post!

I do all of my composing work in 64 bit cubase. Working in a 64 bit daw enables me to not constantly have to render or freeze while composing and even through the mix. With the break neck turnarounds and last minute revisions of working on spots, this is vital to getting the job done. Additionally lets me work faster and is more conducive to creativity. Figure folks templates can eat up 10-20gb or more of ram quite easily

Not having to bridge the plugs would be a boost for stability too! Though j bridge is an excellent program and well worth 20 bucks

So please UA... I would really like to use your wonderful and pricey plugs without a bridge in my DAW of choice -- currently its making me a little reluctant to purchase new plugs

...on a side note... could we get a UA kush fatso???

Sent from my MB860 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
If anybody ever decides to actually use the new UAD Ampex emulation, please tell us whether you think it's a worthwhile purchase and compare it to other tape sims. This thread reminds of the guys who create show cars. Ok, you've got a such and such paint job, this type of engine, this type of chrome, etc. etc. But can you drive the damn thing? And how is the ride?
It cracks me up, when I read about so many people complaining about how much a UAD card costs. I would think that means they don't have one and therefore am not hearing what I'm hearing lately. The Ampex plug...I'm thinking the new line of UAD plugs just keeps getting better. I have the 800 Studer, MPX, Magnetic. Again, the Ampex is in a league of it's own...let me repeat...The Ampex is in a league of it's own. What it does on a 2 buss has to be heard. No real explaining it. I have most major plug ins...it's sick..nobody needs all these...but I do have a pretty good vantage point and the truth is, UAD makes some of the best if not the best plugs around. And when they bring in plugs like the 800, Fatso,Massive Passive, Ampex, it just proves that they are getting better at making great plugs. You can't build a house with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver...or if you could, it would sure be easier and probably be built a lot better if you used high quality power tools. UAD makes tools you can use and they sound great. Not to say there aren't other great sounding native plugs out there...but I seem to keep reaching for the UAD plugs. These guys are impressive.
L.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I'll start buying UA stuff when they release UAD3 with more processing power and when they turn 64bit.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
That should be EASILY done with a current generation computer. Didn't you read what the guys posted? 400 instances of vitalizer.. at 89% cpu.
But just imagine if you had that same computer with a Uad Quad plugged into it.
you could run 456 Vitalizers.
Think about how much better that would be than 400 Vitalizers !!
Thats like 14% more vitality in your mixes !!!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I hope UA pays $1.00 for the DSP chips + has only spent $500 on plug in development and the rest is profit for them...... Then they will continue to make great stuff like they are doing.
I hope they are filthy rich and am happy to have contributed to their success.
They deserve it with the wonderful products they are making..... They make me sound so much better!!!! (and i don't share my profit with them).

Man, there's lots of business majors on this forum remotely trying to run fortune 500 companies......... I'll bet UA is glad they have all this input on how to stay in business!

What did people do before internet forums? How did they vent all this frustration before?

I can't wait to try v6!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Do any of you understand that some of the DAWS do not allow or have the resources for plugins with giant code?
So if UA wants or need to have more code to make the plugins the way they want them to sound, they need to have a external card with processing do it.......

ITS NOT ALWAYS A CONSPIRACY TO ROB PEOPLE....And they are not obligated to explain every single little thing they do to you.
If you like the product, buy it......... If you don't.....or can't afford it, buy something else.
Leave us alone to discuss the UA products that we bought or people are actually considering buying (and not saying i'd buy it if they did this for me).

Sorry to yell & rant, but lets get this on track.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
But just imagine if you had that same computer with a Uad Quad plugged into it.
you could run 456 Vitalizers.
Think about how much better that would be than 400 Vitalizers !!
Thats like 14% more vitality in your mixes !!!
You are really serious in twisting and marginalizing other people points aren't you? I think you are the only one here in this thread(if not whole forum) who thinks that people actually use 400 vitalizers per mix(i know you don't think so but since you are fighting this way...).

It was purely artificial benchmark not used in context of mixing or soundwise. I'll repeat it was purely benchmark. Given in context of same plugin instances on one platform compared to another..Benchmark. B...

Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Well, all this really discouraged me. I was saving for a Quad Satellite but at this point I must suppose 50% of the people here would not buy if in my shoes..
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
You are really serious in twisting and marginalizing other people points aren't you? I think you are the only one here in this thread(if not whole forum) who thinks that people actually use 400 vitalizers per mix(i know you don't think so but since you are fighting this way...).

It was purely artificial benchmark not used in context of mixing or soundwise. I'll repeat it was purely benchmark. Given in context of same plugin instances on one platform compared to another..Benchmark. B...

my point was simply that
Computer + UAD > Computer > UAD, in terms of this "score" thing.
I certainly dont keep score with my plugins though, and I wouldnt buy a Behringer because its cheaper and has more channels than a Neve either
and if its not "in the context of mixing or soundwise", then, like, who cares ?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
my point was simply that
Computer + UAD > Computer > UAD, in terms of this "score" thing.

To boost your (new) computer (1000$) by 10% you invest another 1200$?

(Next gen calculation:

new computer 1000$ + 5% boost 1200$ and so on)

So use UAD if you like their plugs not because of the "additional power".
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop666 View Post

So use UAD if you like their plugs not because of the "additional power".
sure , thats where im at.
the additional power is a bonus but not the be all and end all for me
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

will the hypothetical 64 bit version a software update or a completely new machine? Hope not!
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
sure , thats where im at.
the additional power is a bonus but not the be all and end all for me
50 Massive Passives on todays CPUs @ 96k would not be enough for a mix ?
i could be wrong with the number but VSC-2 will give us more insight where the journey goes in the near future with hardware emulations
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomcore View Post
I believe they've merely stated how i7 cpu, which is a standard today, is much stronger (5x) than UAD Quad, which costs 5x of that i7 cpu.
i meant the guy was joking about using that many vitalizers in a mix.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
I hope UA pays $1.00 for the DSP chips + has only spent $500 on plug in development and the rest is profit for them...... Then they will continue to make great stuff like they are doing.
I hope they are filthy rich and am happy to have contributed to their success.
They deserve it with the wonderful products they are making..... They make me sound so much better!!!! (and i don't share my profit with them).

Man, there's lots of business majors on this forum remotely trying to run fortune 500 companies......... I'll bet UA is glad they have all this input on how to stay in business!

What did people do before internet forums? How did they vent all this frustration before?

I can't wait to try v6!
In fact I'd go even further and I hope you are with me. I think they should double the price of their plugins and the dsp cards. IMO they don't charge near enough for this quality and they deserve it. I want to pay even more.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

The only frustration I have with the UAD is still no side-chaining with compressors. Everyone else has this.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
It cracks me up, when I read about so many people complaining about how much a UAD card costs. I would think that means they don't have one and therefore am not hearing what I'm hearing lately. The Ampex plug...I'm thinking the new line of UAD plugs just keeps getting better. I have the 800 Studer, MPX, Magnetic. Again, the Ampex is in a league of it's own...let me repeat...The Ampex is in a league of it's own. What it does on a 2 buss has to be heard. No real explaining it. I have most major plug ins...it's sick..nobody needs all these...but I do have a pretty good vantage point and the truth is, UAD makes some of the best if not the best plugs around. And when they bring in plugs like the 800, Fatso,Massive Passive, Ampex, it just proves that they are getting better at making great plugs. You can't build a house with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver...or if you could, it would sure be easier and probably be built a lot better if you used high quality power tools. UAD makes tools you can use and they sound great. Not to say there aren't other great sounding native plugs out there...but I seem to keep reaching for the UAD plugs. These guys are impressive.
L.
Ahhhhh. Now that's more like it. You've got a great perspective by virtue of all the plug-ins you own and a clear viewpoint on this new Ampex plug. Thanks. It looks like everybody who wants to know about the plug-in and actually discuss it moved to the other thread. So let the OS/bit war continue here. I'll see you over at the new thread.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomcore View Post
I'll start buying UA stuff when they release UAD3 with more processing power and when they turn 64bit.
Thank you for sharing.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRStudio View Post
The only frustration I have with the UAD is still no side-chaining with compressors. Everyone else has this.
Yes, I wonder why there is so much clamor about 64Bit and almost no mention of VST3.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search