The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio V6 arrived
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
How many vitalizers can you use if you use one manley passive, a few tracks with studers, and the new ampex?

56 vs 270 (Intel I7 930 3.8ghz, not even the latest CPU generation) instances just shows what a crappy performance UAD cards deliver. No one - I hope - wants 56 vitalizers.

Sigh... it's not that hard...

don't forget how people are blind and closed to facts when they are touched by love or fanboyism.

you can't argue with them : all is perfect even if they have to kill their own child to continue.

now with your test we can affirm a 265 € i7 intel chip is at least 6 x more powerfull than a 1330 € dsp quad card. (today's prices)

you can run 5 x more plugins + run your daw on it for 1/5 of the price of a UAD quad,

that make sense considering UAD is just a dongle and shouldn't cost more than 60 €
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by choukette View Post
don't forget how people are blind and closed to facts when they are touched by love or fanboyism.

you can't argue with them : all is perfect even if they have to kill their own child to continue.

now with your test we can affirm a 265 € i7 intel chip is at least 6 x more powerfull than a 1330 € dsp quad card. (today's prices)

you can run 5 x more plugins + run your daw on it for 1/5 of the price of a UAD quad,

that make sense considering UAD is just a dongle and shouldn't cost more than 60 €
But you have to put in to account that most of UAD plugins run oversampled several times (depending per plugin). So when someone post some results of Native vs DSP counterpart you should consider to cut native result in half or more (depending on which frequency rate test was done)..

IMO i wouldn't call UAD quad not powerfull. It is decent but heavily overpriced DSP solution. While i won't even think about Duo and solo because they are not strong enough for my needs (i have duo ATM). Especially when working with latest and DSP hungry UAD plugins..
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Ok - are you serious - 100 posts and no useful comments about the new plugins... Hit the moan zone with this guys... I'd like to hear thoughts about these new UAD plugs from those that have tried them...
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
I just tried to run SPL Vitalizer Native on my overclocked SandyBridge 2600k.

Many of you know that SandyBridge is Intel latest and most advanced CPU.

Stock settings are 3,4Ghz but i am running it on aircooler at 4,7Ghz without any kind of stability problem. Zero problems whatsoever.

44khz
400 SPL Vitalizers and my ASIO meter is showing 89% CPU usage. After 400 i am pretty bored.

Again 400 SPL Vitalizers loaded..Playback without crackling. Actually i have 9 Ableton Live samplers plugin loaded in that project. No joke. Anyone with this CPU and this plugin can confirm no problem for me. I am saying just because 400 seems ridiculous score and it is but it is real result.

So..400 isn't that bad.
So you can run 56 max on a UAD quad, and over 400+ of the native version?

Where are all the people saying the UAD platform isn't underpowered compared to native systems? At this point, my UAD-2 DUO is essentially a Studer box with the occasional EMT250 or other plugin (I almost never dare to use the FATSO due to it's massive DSP use). I wish UA would just dump the cards, or find a hybrid solution (to prevent piracy) and let me run native versions of these plugins.

It's silly that a few years ago the UAD card was created to make up for the shortcoming in the processing power of PC's of the day, and now the newest generation of UAD cards are the ones that are short on processing power.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I posted the following on the electronic music forum in the "September new gear thread" as well, but maybe its relevant here also:

my UAD QUAD satellite arrived today (paid for it last month though)

with vouchers, monthly specials and coupons I managed to snag the following:

EMT 250
RE 201
Massive Passive
Harrison EQ
SPL Vitalizer
Moog Filter

for a grand total of ....................$173 . Full retail would have been just under $1500 bucks !!!
Got the Fatso before the end of last month for about $100 too.

so yeah the whole "you have to buy a really expensive dongle and THEN shell out loads for the plugins" argument is perhaps a tad exagerrated
Old 3rd September 2011
Plugin Alliance / Brainworx

Quote:
How many vitalizers can you use if you use one manley passive, a few tracks with studers, and the new ampex?

56 vs 270 (Intel I7 930 3.8ghz, not even the latest CPU generation) instances just shows what a crappy performance UAD cards deliver. No one - I hope - wants 56 vitalizers.

Sigh... it's not that hard...

Make sure to use ALL the knobs in the Vitalizer or bx_digital (in their native versions) not just a blank empty start preset for that instance count. The Native plugin will use almost no CPU until you start tweaking knobs...

270 bypassed plugins sound as good as 270 switched-off HW units. heh
Dirk.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
So you can run 56 max on a UAD quad, and over 400+ of the native version?

Where are all the people saying the UAD platform isn't underpowered compared to native systems? At this point, my UAD-2 DUO is essentially a Studer box with the occasional EMT250 or other plugin (I almost never dare to use the FATSO due to it's massive DSP use). I wish UA would just dump the cards, or find a hybrid solution (to prevent piracy) and let me run native versions of these plugins.

It's silly that a few years ago the UAD card was created to make up for the shortcoming in the processing power of PC's of the day, and now the newest generation of UAD cards are the ones that are short on processing power.
i guess you guys should start a computer company, seems like you have figured out how to keep ahead of the curve and satisfy people on a daily basis......... Youre gonna be rich!!!!
Poor UA guys, they dont know what they are doing and now will have to go on unemployment because the computer problem has been solved!!!!!

Im getting a new native system and gonna put it in my backpack and stop posting and get to work now, my problems have been solved...

The moving target of computing has finally stopped moving, rest easy everyone, our problems have been solved........ Native/64bit will bring world peace to all who obtain it.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
i guess you guys should start a computer company, seems like you have figured out how to keep ahead of the curve and satisfy people on a daily basis......... Youre gonna be rich!!!!
Poor UA guys, they dont know what they are doing and now will have to go on unemployment because the computer problem has been solved!!!!!

Im getting a new native system and gonna put it in my backpack and stop posting and get to work now, my problems have been solved...

The moving target of computing has finally stopped moving, rest easy everyone, our problems have been solved........ Native/64bit will bring world peace to all who obtain it.
Beautiful post. Thank you.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainrox View Post
Make sure to use ALL the knobs in the Vitalizer or bx_digital (in their native versions) not just a blank empty start preset for that instance count. The Native plugin will use almost no CPU until you start tweaking knobs...

Dirk.
My 400 Vitalizers where all active and processing. I make sure that i tweaked it and compression and eq is working. There isn't anything bypassed in my system sorry heh

Why do you think his 270 instances are in bypassed mode since they are using almost all of his CPU at 3,8ghz?

Strange...
Old 3rd September 2011
jvt
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax View Post
Ok - are you serious - 100 posts and no useful comments about the new plugins... Hit the moan zone with this guys... I'd like to hear thoughts about these new UAD plugs from those that have tried them...
Mighty truthful words here.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
My 400 Vitalizers where all active and processing. I make sure that i tweaked it and compression and eq is working. There isn't anything bypassed in my system sorry heh

Why do you think his 270 instances are in bypassed mode since they are using almost all of his CPU at 3,8ghz?

Strange...
and hows does the mix sound ?

or is that, as usual in these sorts of discussions, irrelevant ?

Last edited by mattyc; 3rd September 2011 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: better syntax
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Well guys...I'm still happy with the update..(minus the 64bit but I hope they gonna fix that soon)

I'm a big user of Manley and fatso plugins..they're so usefull...and I'm always happy with this new plugs (the ATR seem the winner for me )
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainrox View Post

Dirk.
I made sure. There is also audio running through it.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post
Yeah you bet, emphasis on the word bet. Which means you don´t know.

Well I need 64-bit and I bet that most of the people who are screaming for it, know exactly why they need it.

Hahahah, I nomite this for the post of the year title! Made my day! Thanks for that.
Most people I know who do not compose orchestral stuff need about 1 - 2 gig Ram. Add to that fast SSD drives if you need a LITTLE bit more than 4gigs (32 bit apps can use 4gigs in an 64 bit environment) So thanks for your post of the decade.

I am not against 64 bit lol... all I am saying is that to many people make a drama out of it. (And I seriously hope that people who need it to work with comfort get it soon)
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
and hows does the mix sound ?

or is that, as usual in these sorts of discussions, irrelevant ?
It is irrelevant. Do you really fail to see (as usual) it was only about score not about the mix? I mean for the past two pages people talk about it...
Old 3rd September 2011
Quote:
Most people I know who do not compose orchestral stuff need about 1 - 2 gig Ram. Add to that fast SSD drives if you need a LITTLE bit more than 4gigs (32 bit apps can use 4gigs in an 64 bit environment) So thanks for your post of the decade.

I am not against 64 bit lol... all I am saying is that to many people make a drama out of it.
The more addressable RAM is only a part of the whole story. In the link I provided you see that Cubase is about ~89% faster with 64Bit instead of 32Bit.
The overall system performance is about 28% faster.
Using a 64Bit OS and 64Bit applications makes completely sense for a DAW. The more accessible RAM is of course for many guys the most important thing.
A bit-bridge is a big overhead, using 32Bit plug-ins with a bitBridge will result in more processing power then using the same plug-in in a 32Bit DAW without bridging. It's not only a wish of some crazy people to have 64 plug-ins, all companies know how important this is today.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is irrelevant. Do you really fail to see (as usual) it was only about score not about the mix? I mean for the past two pages people talk about it...
Coming into a UAD thread and informing everyone that i7s have more power is about as clever and helpful as posting about windows in a Mac thread, wup in a waves thread or how much better analog sounds in a softsynth thread. It's hardly a revelation that modern computers have more power than UAD quads, but what do you think everyone is plugging their UADs INTO ?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
Coming into a UAD thread and informing everyone that i7s have more power is about as clever and helpful as posting about windows in a Mac thread, wup in a waves thread or how much better analog sounds in a softsynth thread. It's hardly a revelation that modern computers have more power than UAD quads, but what do you think everyone is plugging their UADs INTO ?
I for sure don't know what are you talking about (and all these brands...) Someone before me posted in this same thread result of an i7 (old one) and saying something about latest i2600k. I saw people started to debate it and talking about it so I was just trying to help by posting my score from 2600k since it happened that i own it. I wasn't mean to go offtopic or to say that i have uber machine over uad quad crowd. Since there is exactly same plugin available on native i was thinking that score could be interesting that's all.

Sorry if you feel attacked by my score or whatever your motivation is. My intention was not to insert flame or whatever. FYI i own UAD2 and in other popular thread (ampex one) here i am just defending it in the field of "quad being underpowered".

Whatever..if you think my info is stupid or irrelevant you can just ignore me. I am finding it spectacular and very romantic that someone is replying to some irrelevant info. If you really want all irrelevant data to be cleared from each thread you'll have empty gearslutz.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Fair enough mate
And hey I dont feel attacked by your "score" at all. I cant see myself needing to run more than a couple of vitalisers really.
I think the amount of irrelevance posted on this forum is both a good and a bad thing. Sometimes it means you learn something you wouldnt have expected to, but sometimes it means you can trawl through a thread about UAD Software Version 6 and not find out much about UAD Software Version 6 at all !!
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

can somebody explain me the advantage of buying the DSP version over the native version of upcoming Vertigo VSC-2 ?

i really dont get it
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Do me a favor and post a video showcasing 100 tracks running @ 24Bit/96kHz with audio on 80 of them, and hefty VSTi running on the other 20 being fed MIDI. Then add automation, buss them and the whole 9 yards. Then tell me how many Vitalizers you can run.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind View Post
The more addressable RAM is only a part of the whole story. In the link I provided you see that Cubase is about ~89% faster with 64Bit instead of 32Bit.
Using a 64Bit OS and 64Bit applications makes completely sense for a DAW. The more accessible RAM is of course for many guys the most important thing.
A bit-bridge is a big overhead, using 32Bit plug-ins with a bitBridge will result in more processing power then using the same plug-in in a 32Bit DAW without bridging. It's not only a wish of some crazy people to have 64 plug-ins, all companies know how important this is today.
Well said. I was just about to reply the same thing to Dappolito, but I guess some people just choose to stay ignorant about modern technologies and get stuck in their old ways.

64-bit isn´t even new thing anymore, it´s here and now already. Some dinosaur companies are just doing a lousy job trying to keep up with the times and I can´t stand apologists for these companies.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

As I posted on the UAD forum, it's pretty obvious given the time this is taking that UAD are having to do a lot of re-work to make their plug-ins 64-bit compatible. As an example - on OSX plug-in GUIs coded using Carbon would have to be converted to Cocoa as Carbon doesn't support 64-bit.

At least UAD have stated they are working hard on updating to 64-bit - and no surprise - it's a platform that's being actively developed on and supported. I have many other plug-ins that almost certainly will never be upgraded.

Let's just hope they are a good way through the process for obvious reasons.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
I have yet to see the performance gap you speak of.

I have noticed cubase it self moves faster at loading things opening/closing widows things like that.

But not faster playing back projects

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I am digging the update. Control for all of UADs plugins on my c24 in PTHD is perfect.
Why all the whining?
Nobody can make music without 10,000 plug ins on every god for saken track?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
Do me a favor and post a video showcasing 100 tracks running @ 24Bit/96kHz with audio on 80 of them, and hefty VSTi running on the other 20 being fed MIDI. Then add automation, buss them and the whole 9 yards. Then tell me how many Vitalizers you can run.
Hi matte i don't want to post more numbers because people hate being offtopic. I am not sure what's wrong on your system but i could run 100 audio tracks at 96khz without reaching half of my PREVIOUS Core processor (not the latest one i have). Plenty of plugs i could run after that. Automation always use just a fraction of my cpu. It's just automation ?!??

PM me if you have some problems with your DAW system maybe i can help.

btw there are numerous benchmarks on Cubase at 96khz online. Maybe you should check them. A lot of DAW machine resellers have them.

starting points and tips (tracks can be added later)
http://www.adkproaudio.com/benchmarks.cfm
http://www.dawbench.com/benchmarks.htm
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
But we were all fine before..........all this fuss over saving a few seconds a day.
Wouldn't the extra time you have while your computer is processing something be a good time to think about what the hell you are doing, or take a leak, or stand up and stretch out....... Or heaven forbid, talk to a real live human being in the room with you....... (I know.... People don't make music together anymore... I was joking)
Old 4th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
But we were all fine before..........all this fuss over saving a few seconds a day.
Wouldn't the extra time you have while your computer is processing something be a good time to think about what the hell you are doing, or take a leak, or stand up and stretch out....... Or heaven forbid, talk to a real live human being in the room with you....... (I know.... People don't make music together anymore... I was joking)
This remembers me sometimes of people preferring Windows XP or 2000 and swear it would be the best for a DAW all the time heh
For some people technological progress must be work of the devil
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

Computer tech advances? No way, pal. This is still the best Cubase:

heh

When screens still had tubes (!).
Old 4th September 2011
Plugin Alliance / Brainworx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop666 View Post
Computer tech advances? No way, pal. This is still the best Cubase:

When screens still had tubes (!).
This screen must have sounded HUGE because of the tubes...

Dirk / BX.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search