The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio V6 arrived
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Reminder to everyone: you can wait. Historically, the price comes down eventually.

- c
Yes - This is my hope - That the price comes down eventually. We shall wait and see.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 1st September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post

I actually ended up getting the Flexi to save a bit more on hardware.

Guess the Lexi will have to wait till the firesale in December. So it will be the ATR-102 + Manley/FATSO/EMT250/33609/SSL. Wanted to wait on the EMT/SSL, and not spend the $500 voucher till the firesale but I want in on this hardware promo.

Still, I get the Quad for $220.
Yeah, I bought two of them, finally upgrading from my UAD1. Problem is, I don't have enough plugins that I actually want to buy with all the vouchers I got! And you have to spend each of the big vouchers all at once.

BTW. The ATR can't be bought with those vouchers, but can with the flexi voucher..

Matt
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post

BTW. The ATR can't be bought with those vouchers, but can with the flexi voucher..

Matt
Yeah, It can be confusing. Vouchers are like cash and Coupons are a one time thing where you need to spend it all. I'm hoping the Cart will split up the voucher like it did back when I splurged on the UAD-1 Express promo.

Basically I sold off my UAD-1 system last year to flush out all unused/unneeded plugs and recouped all my investment, so the cost was money I already invested years ago. I have a solo (which I will be selling) in which the sole purpose was to buy deep discounted plugs until there was a big hardware promo. This promo allows me to get pretty much all I want from the catalog minus the Lexicon, I was hoping to keep the $500 as a plugin reserve for future releases but alas, I'm happy with what I've been able to scrape together.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

That new promo... almost to good to pass up.
Quad Flexi = $500 coupon (any plugs) + $900 (5.8 + before)
Then 30% off once two 6.0 plug-ins are purchased?
That's like $1700 worth of plug-ins with hardware acceleration
thrown in.

Although I am building a new machine for 64-bit, I think I'm
going to lighten my current PC and keep it XP. Do all my
composition, sequencing, drum programming on the new machine...
go out into hardware for drum buss summing, EQ, compression,
and record all the external synths and parts on the old PC.

Just use it as a glorified stem recorder. I'm sure it wouldn't
hurt to have some of those new UAD inside. I haven't purchased
any since the Fatso, been waiting for a big promo stack like this
one.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

I love the UAD plugs... and I'm happy they now officially support Lion (I had 5.9 succesfully working in Lion already though) but...

I'm reluctant to invest more in UAD plugs because... I have already spent too much money upgrading from PCI to PCIe just to get the same plugs to work on a new computer. I believe PCI is going away soon (at least in Macs) so I won't buy the UAD2 PCI and that sattelite thing is way to expensive. So I'm sticking with my UAD1s and the plugs I already have til the dust clears...
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I too had the email with the 50$ coupon because I haven't purchased a plugin in over a year. Well, at those prices I happily let the 50$ coupon run out.
They'd have to reduce their prices by 50% for me to even consider them again.

Compatibilty question:

Will session in PT9 that run UA plugs version 5.8 open fine with UA v6 and are all plugin settings intact?
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
i guess i live under a rock.. but what does 64bit matter?? people seem to be so up in arms about lack of 64 bit support.. my mac pro (2008) runs my UAD plugs just fine, without a hitch.

i don't know what 64 bit will do for me, nor do i really care... but, clearly i'm in the minority.

i'd be happy with some updates to their existing plug ins and a killer console emulation that you can run w/o eating up an entire card.
Yea u felt the same way but someone said that causes I think logic to default to 32 I believe.

Maybe someone can chime in?

I'm still 32 bit on windows 7 64....

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

So does this current special (the 897.00 coupon) work if I'm upgrading from my Uad-1 to a Uad-2 quad? Kind of confusing on their site. It says you get the 3 free plugins (Studer, Manley and EMT) if you buy a quad this month. Then it says if you already own a Uad card you get a $897 coupon if you buy a quad. Is this in addition to the 3 free plugins? I haven't used any UAD plugs in years because my UAD is the old pci one. But I borrowed a friends satellite Duo this week so I could compare the UA stuff with the waves plug ins I've been using and I think the UA sounds noticeably better so I plan on buying a quad card this month.

Edit : Nevermind about the special. i figured it out!
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Each company has the absolute right to design and market their products as they see fit.

UA has decided to go down the high margin/low volume path and requires a hardware DSP card. Smaller addressable market that some see as more desirable because it is more exclusive.

This is in contrast to Waves which recently has decided to lower its prices and go for higher volume. My personal opinion is that Waves model suits the times, to back that opinion I would point to the success of Apples iOS store, Protools native and the disappearing DSP card platforms.

If UAD continue to cling to a hardware lock-in I hope they consider an i/o that made use of some of the native power in modern CPUs. After all it is 2011 not 1997....
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I've invested all that I'm going to invest in the UAD platform. Their plugs are too pricey for me. I thought the distressor was coming. Then again, it would probably be $400 or something cause everyone wants it. I've got most of them. I'm done. Not even going to check out the demos.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I hear you, but this raises the question: Does the DIY crowd need an ATR 102?!?

I'm not saying this to be facetious. I would think that this is the kind of thing that most bedroom studios can do without. It's a pretty subtle thing and probably the kind of thing you wouldn't be able to appreciate without a lot of skill and experience (which is to say nothing of excellent monitoring), in which case you'd probably be doing it for a living.

It seems it's priced for a certain market. And I imagine a lot of the dough is going to Ampex for royalties for use of the name and tech.

- c
I think you nailed it. I can live without it.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post
This update is [email protected]!

Lion support, but no 64-bit! What the hell UA??? Wake up! Totally ridiculous and laughable.

Only 12 stereo Ampex instances with QUAD card! What???

And the prices! Jesus!

This update is [email protected]!
I'm confused...how does a 64 bit plug in help you in 32 bit Pro Tools?

TH
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post

TH
To use with others systems like Cubendo or Logic...
Old 2nd September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
Yeah, It can be confusing.
Also, the special voucher times out at the end on Oct I think, so won't be able to be used in Dec

matt
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

still no Multi-mono in RTAS??

still no plug in parameter automation by holding strg+win+alt and clicking on it?

still no plug in parameter automation automation curve shown by holding strg+winand clicking on it?

lame--i thought REAL rtas support??????

the atr is KILLER
i have no big problem with the price as long as the sound quality is stellar
(like MP Fatso Studer etc.)...but i can understand why some people feel UADs target marked shipts up and up

now pls Distressor plugin
and TC MD4
(and 64 bit support when PT12.8 is 64 bit)

lont time after the next big finance crash in 2020 hahahahhahahahaha
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik31 View Post
To use with others systems like Cubendo or Logic...
I don't think it affect cubendo in the way it affect logic?

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

I love UA and always have but im still having latency issues in PT9. I have to set my latency to 1024. Oh and one more thing. The new ATR 102 sounds very nice but in the video they are a/bing the hardware and software. I had this tape machine for about 5 years and when they played the HW I was like "yea that's what I remember"" then they switched to the SW and all I can think is "that's what SW sounds like" boo to you UA.

Side note. Steven slate VCC IS KILLER.

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz.com App
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop666 View Post
Now that we know that a uad-2-quad can run (only) 56 spl vitalizer. It is obvious a UAD-2 quad is no match for native solutions.

UAD Instance Chart

56 is more than disappointing
an i-2600k should open minimum 3 times as many without OC
Old 2nd September 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post

TH
Not everyone uses Pro Tools......there are other Daws available apart it.

Graham
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
56 is more than disappointing
an i-2600k should open minimum 3 times as many without OC
i really dont know how any of us are supposed to mix with only 56 vitalizers, god help us all
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
i really dont know how any of us are supposed to mix with only 56 vitalizers, god help us all
I use 280 vitalizers native and 56 on the UAD which I bounce so I can use another 280 + 56 vitalizers.

I also try to open all GUI's so I can tweak them realy fast. But the problem is that they won't fit on my dual 22" screens.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut

These guys should tackle the Bricasti M7
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

So the last good compressor UAD released was the Neve 33609?
The Fatso is being pimped under special processing as a tape
emulation, and that SSL G Bus Comp seemed like a quick phone-in
to grab some Duende market.

I want to hear a UAD2 compressor with the attention to detail that
the Massive Passive has.

I would LOVE an Atomic Squeezebox and Thermionic Phoenix.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Software Thanks for the Rape Me prices UA.

The new plugins UA have dropped are great, Lexicon + Ampex.
I was gonna pickup another Quad... Flexi that is.
But It seems the voucher is pointless w/ the newly improved prices.
For both the plugins, I would still have to come outta pocket after the voucher. Fux da point of the voucher ???
I'll just demo until its at a reasonable price.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOxmyn View Post
The new plugins UA have dropped are great, Lexicon + Ampex.
I was gonna pickup another Quad... Flexi that is.
But It seems the voucher is pointless w/ the newly improved prices.
For both the plugins, I would still have to come outta pocket after the voucher. Fux da point of the voucher ???
I'll just demo until its at a reasonable price.
In the past vouchers haven't had a expiration date like the monthly coupons they send out....the new plugs always stay high for a few months and then they always are discounted.
L.
Old 2nd September 2011
No 64Bit? Then I have no interest to buy a new UAD2 or new plug-ins. Good to save some money for more native plug-ins This bx_digital native version is more interesting than running such thing on a UAD card.

Let's wait for V7.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
lol! But he is right imo with saying that the UAD cards are not powerful. I mean, how many vitalizers can you add, if you run 1 Manley Passive, 1 Ampex ATR, some Studers etc. :-(
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind View Post
No 64Bit? Then I have no interest to buy a new UAD2 or new plug-ins. Good to save some money for more native plug-ins This bx_digital native version is more interesting than running such thing on a UAD card.

Let's wait for V7.
Wow, how much RAM do you need for your "complex" music?
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
Guess you are not familiar with sample libraries?
Old 2nd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
You know that 64Bit Cubase has a better performance than a 32Bit Cubase?

https://www.steinberg.net/forum/view...hp?f=19&t=5658

You know that sample libraries using a lot of RAM, right? Eventually you get the picture while it's important to have a 64Bit DAW and also 64Bit plug-ins.
But also without more RAM, bridging of 32Bit plug-ins needing extra processing power, are sometimes buggy and so on. Bit-Bridges are are not a permanent solution.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search