The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio V6 arrived
Old 1st September 2011
  #31
Lives for gear
 
DanDaMan's Avatar
 

I just read this on facebook

Quote:
Re: the Great 64-bit question: With over 50 plug-ins in the UAD catalog, 64-bit support is simply taking us a while to complete. We know it's *very* important to our customers, so it's a very high priority for UA. Rest assured, 64-bit compatibility is coming, but a solid date is yet to be announced. It's worth noting that UAD plug-ins will work with any 64-bit DAW, as long as the DAW supports a bit bridge. (We know many of you guys know this, but just in case.) Generally, there's always a balance between UAD system improvements and plug-in development. For v.6.0, we focused on getting seamless Pro Tools / RTAS integration; 64-bit is coming. We know this may not be what everyone wants to hear, but thank you for your patience. / UA
Old 1st September 2011
  #32
Gear Addict
 

Now that we know that a uad-2-quad can run (only) 56 spl vitalizer. It is obvious a UAD-2 quad is no match for native solutions.

UAD Instance Chart
Old 1st September 2011
  #33
Gear Addict
 
dasindevin's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
i guess i live under a rock.. but what does 64bit matter?? people seem to be so up in arms about lack of 64 bit support.. my mac pro (2008) runs my UAD plugs just fine, without a hitch.

i don't know what 64 bit will do for me, nor do i really care... but, clearly i'm in the minority.

i'd be happy with some updates to their existing plug ins and a killer console emulation that you can run w/o eating up an entire card.
If you run a 64 bit DAW, which is 100% necessary for my line of work - composing. it would greatly help stability and potential performance to have a 64 bit version of these plugs

(Using bit bridges like steinbergs and j bridge are a temporary solution - but just add some instability to rig)



Sent from my MB860 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 1st September 2011
  #34
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasindevin View Post
If you run a 64 bit DAW, which is 100% necessary for my line of work - composing. it would greatly help stability and potential performance to have a 64 bit version of these plugs

(Using bit bridges like steinbergs and j bridge are a temporary solution - but just add some instability to rig)



Sent from my MB860 using Gearslutz.com App
I'm in the same boat, but at least (almost) all of the VI's that I use are 64 bit now, so I do my composing/performing/midi editing in 64 bit, then bounce audio tracks and mix in 32 bit. I hate the bit bridges and will be doing this until every mixing plugin I use is 64 bit.
Old 1st September 2011
  #35
Gear Nut
 

Lol why would you need more than one instance of the ampex? Its for the 2bus. When have you ever heard of a studio having 15 tape machines? Not somthing to get fired up about imho.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 1st September 2011
  #36
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey1 View Post
I do do this for a 'living.'...
Just to be clear, I meant no insult to you or anyone and was just musing aloud. Reading what I wrote, I can see how it may have seemed snobby --- that's not my intent at all.

I did see the video, but I was listening through laptop speakers. I'm not at the studio. I presumed it would be the usual video demo where the sound gets noticeably louder when the thing is engaged, etc.

The engineers they chose to collaborate with... pretty nice list. Jacquire King is pretty fantastic in my book.

Anyway, I'm excited to try this thing.

I still want a real ATR 102, though. Never gonna lose that desire...

- c
Old 1st September 2011
  #37
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by choukette View Post
I disagree

Apple product were always pricey,

UAD's prices were very fair at the begining ,

Apple charge you for very good quality product and pleasant design and tend to charge you softly for their app

UA overcharge you for a dongle and then overcharge you for plugins that run on it.........
I understand what you're saying, but I wasn't talking about pricing, just the fact that both companies produce software to drive hardware sales.

And don't forget that it's really only the last few years that Apple has seriously lowered the pricing on their software. I paid $1000 for Logic Pro 7, and it came with a dongle. They cut the price to $500 for Logic 8 and got rid of the dongle (the USB dongle that is!). And I can't remember exactly what OS X upgrades used to cost, but I know they weren't $29.

Personally, I don't think that the price of UA's plugins is too high, everyone knows that if you wait for a big sale you'll get it for less. I have more of a problem with the cost of the cards, and the fact that if you want to mix exclusively with UAD plugins it's getting to the point where you need more than one Quad now.
Old 1st September 2011
  #38
Gear Nut
 
makinghits's Avatar
 

Looooving this RTAS update! Everything is much snappier now. Outstanding UA!
Old 1st September 2011
  #39
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens119 View Post
I think that everybody in the DIY category that uses UAD, uses the platform to try to get that "record sound" that takes much longer to achieve without UAD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
i guess i live under a rock.. but what does 64bit matter?? people seem to be so up in arms about lack of 64 bit support.. my mac pro (2008) runs my UAD plugs just fine, without a hitch.

i don't know what 64 bit will do for me, nor do i really care... but, clearly i'm in the minority.
Old 1st September 2011
  #40
Gear Maniac
 
zwatrif's Avatar
 

I have the Solo and the Quad and I'm very happy with the sound of the plugins that I've purchased to run on them. However, I think at this point that some of the newer plugins are a but overpriced and I haven't spent any money with UAD in quite some time.

I hope that they do some "adjusting" in their pricing as I like some of the latest releases. But until they do, I'm not buying. Thank goodness there are other more reasonably priced plug-in options.


Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 1st September 2011
  #41
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
I understand what you're saying, but I wasn't talking about pricing, just the fact that both companies produce software to drive hardware sales.

And don't forget that it's really only the last few years that Apple has seriously lowered the pricing on their software. I paid $1000 for Logic Pro 7, and it came with a dongle. They cut the price to $500 for Logic 8 and got rid of the dongle (the USB dongle that is!). And I can't remember exactly what OS X upgrades used to cost, but I know they weren't $29.

Personally, I don't think that the price of UA's plugins is too high, everyone knows that if you wait for a big sale you'll get it for less. I have more of a problem with the cost of the cards, and the fact that if you want to mix exclusively with UAD plugins it's getting to the point where you need more than one Quad now.
me too

honestly, the UAD plugins price are fair for what they are, but the insane price and lack of flexibility of the dongle make them no so interesting at the moment.

they still charge you 1500 usd for a outdated PCIe quad,

and it's like you pay the right to run a certain numbers of UAD plugins not even the dsp itself

what make me unhappy is the bad adequation between high priced plugins and high priced dongle you have to multiply to run more plugins

it's like you pay 2 fee to run their plugins.

you pay 1500 usd to have the right to play their game

then you pay 350 usd to have the right to run one of their plugin

and then you pay another 1500 usd to have the right to run a decent numbers of instances of the plugins you already paid

ect ect ect

damn we are talking about software plugins, this way of thinking is just insane and totaly out of modernity.

analog sound ok but digital mind : where it is ?
Old 1st September 2011
  #42
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by choukette View Post
me too

honestly, the UAD plugins price are fair for what they are, but the insane price and lack of flexibility of the dongle make them no so interesting at the moment.

they still charge you 1500 usd for a outdated PCIe quad,

and it's like you pay the right to run a certain numbers of UAD plugins not even the dsp itself

what make me unhappy is the bad adequation between high priced plugins and high priced dongle you have to multiply to run more plugins

it's like you pay 2 fee to run their plugins.

you pay 1500 usd to have the right to play their game

then you pay 350 usd to have the right to run one of their plugin

and then you pay another 1500 usd to have the right to run a decent numbers of instances of the plugins you already paid

ect ect ect

damn we are talking about software plugins, this way of thinking is just insane and totaly out of modernity.

analog sound ok but digital mind : where it is ?
Guess you never paid for TDM plugs then? A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE. For the plugins and hardware.
Old 1st September 2011
  #43
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Guess you never paid for TDM plugs then? A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE. For the plugins and hardware.
If i wanted to pay more, i would invest in TDM in 2003

That why I invested in the UAD plateform, because the price/quality ratio was clearly better

another point is the fact products tend to be cheaper year after year,

with UA it seems now we have to pay more and more, and it change the quality / price ratio to the point of being not so interesting for me.

especially condidering all the negative points given by the dsp plateform (price, audio latency and instances limitation) and the lack of portability and mobility, even with the UAD satelllite.

add to this :

Quote:
Re: the Great 64-bit question: With over 50 plug-ins in the UAD catalog, 64-bit support is simply taking us a while to complete. We know it's *very* important to our customers, so it's a very high priority for UA. Rest assured, 64-bit compatibility is coming, but a solid date is yet to be announced. It's worth noting that UAD plug-ins will work with any 64-bit DAW, as long as the DAW supports a bit bridge. (We know many of you guys know this, but just in case.) Generally, there's always a balance between UAD system improvements and plug-in development. For v.6.0, we focused on getting seamless Pro Tools / RTAS integration; 64-bit is coming. We know this may not be what everyone wants to hear, but thank you for your patience. / UA
wich just mean we prefer making more profit than expanding usability of our product at the moment

and any loyal and long time customer can feel that UA is just milking the cow now.

certainly there is a huge part of nostalgia in my point of view, but I miss the old good time when I repeated everywhere how fair UA was and how good their plugins were for the price they asked.

this is clearly no more the case.
Old 1st September 2011
  #44
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Reminder to everyone: you can wait. Historically, the price comes down eventually.

- c
Old 1st September 2011
  #45
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Reminder to everyone: you can wait. Historically, the price comes down eventually.

- c
I said this until 2010, just because with most product it's the case

not with UA it seems.

in a way that tend to proove the quality and the success of the product

on the other side it shows an elitist way of thinking wich is absurd considering the fact we are in the software world

a world where prices are not linked by the material used to produce the product. (and the overpriced dongle can't justify this).

UA is just milking the cow because they can (until the day most users feel no more interest in the actual UA business model)
Old 1st September 2011
  #46
Lives for gear
 
kreeper_6's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Reminder to everyone: you can wait. Historically, the price comes down eventually.

- c
True.

I just bought the A800 for $229. I also purchased a Quad today and will receive a $900 coupon which I will be spending on the ATR-102 and then receiving a 30% discount on the Lexicon/Manley which comes out to about a 20% discount across the board.

Still a $1350 plugin investment, I see it as paying $350 for a Quad.
Old 1st September 2011
  #47
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by choukette View Post
I said this until 2010, just because with most product it's the case

not with UA it seems.

in a way that tend to proove the quality and the success of the product

on the other side it shows an elitist way of thinking wich is absurd considering the fact we are in the software world

a world where prices are not linked by the material used to produce the product. (and the overpriced dongle can't justify this).

UA is just milking the cow because they can (until the day most users feel no more interest in the actual UA business model)

Well, when this business model fails to be profitable for them then they will change. Vote with your wallet. I rarely buy UAD plugs anymore because most things have great equivalents natively nowadays. In the past 3 years or so I only have bought the Studer and Massive Passive. i might buy this Ampex.
Old 1st September 2011
  #48
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop666 View Post
Now that we know that a uad-2-quad can run (only) 56 spl vitalizer. It is obvious a UAD-2 quad is no match for native solutions.

UAD Instance Chart
Well, 56 vitalizers would be a lot for one project , but what if you run 1 x Manley Passive and 12 x Studer and or a Fatso, Roland Space Echo etc. ? [Rhetorical question : Obviously you have to bounce or buy more cards].

I think the hardware is not powerful enough and way to overpriced but the plugins are damn fine.

But then again you got the brainworx plugs native, spl native, waves stuff (Kramer Tape), Relab 480L (lite), Lexicon Bundles, Cytomic will release as it seems a fantastic creative filter this year, Steinberg Tape Emus (might disappoint tho, dunno), Softube, VCC (!!) and others.

About the 64 bit demand: I wonder how many people cry out loud for 64 bit but don't even need the additonal ram. I bet many.
Old 1st September 2011
  #49
Gear Addict
 

Vitalizer is ideal because you can demo the native verison, too and compare the instance count.
Old 1st September 2011
  #50
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Well, when this business model fails to be profitable for them then they will change. Vote with your wallet. I rarely buy UAD plugs anymore because most things have great equivalents natively nowadays. In the past 3 years or so I only have bought the Studer and Massive Passive. i might buy this Ampex.
I totally agree with you and have not buy any new card or plugins since 2 years

the only think I expect from them is an affordable external dongle box wich let me use the plugin I already own (and certainly will push me to buy new plugins)

until that UAD plateform is a dead one for me.

IMO they just lost ther soul at the moment

too much gold make human become crazy (take it easy it's humor and i know things are more complex)
Old 1st September 2011
  #51
Lives for gear
 
PMoshay's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by choukette View Post
IMO they just lost ther soul at the moment
I couldn't agree less........ UAD stuff is outstanding and always at the top of the picks of pros.
Old 1st September 2011
  #52
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeper_6 View Post
True.

I just bought the A800 for $229. I also purchased a Quad today and will receive a $900 coupon which I will be spending on the ATR-102 and then receiving a 30% discount on the Lexicon/Manley which comes out to about a 20% discount across the board.

Still a $1350 plugin investment, I see it as paying $350 for a Quad.
Doh!

From the fine print on that offer (which I also took part in): *Note: Plug-In coupons are not redeemable toward the new Lexicon 224 Classic Digital Reverb plug-in (UAD v.5.9), nor any plug-ins introduced thereafter (i.e. UAD v.6.0 and beyond).

Sorry
Matt
Old 1st September 2011
  #53
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
Doh!

From the fine print on that offer (which I also took part in): *Note: Plug-In coupons are not redeemable toward the new Lexicon 224 Classic Digital Reverb plug-in (UAD v.5.9), nor any plug-ins introduced thereafter (i.e. UAD v.6.0 and beyond).

Sorry
Matt
Ouch
Old 1st September 2011
  #54
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by choukette View Post
I totally agree with you and have not buy any new card or plugins since 2 years

the only think I expect from them is an affordable external dongle box wich let me use the plugin I already own (and certainly will push me to buy new plugins)

until that UAD plateform is a dead one for me.

IMO they just lost ther soul at the moment

too much gold make human become crazy (take it easy it's humor and i know things are more complex)
I got two Quads. I don't plan to buy anymore ever. And I don't plan to ever buy a UAD3 either. I will just make do with those two cards and maybe occasionally buy a UAD plugin if it's special enough.
Old 1st September 2011
  #55
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop666 View Post
Vitalizer is ideal because you can demo the native verison, too and compare the instance count.
Native Instance Count:

Done on Intel I7 [email protected] 3.8Ghz. It raises the clock from 2,1 Ghz to 3,8 ghz, depending on demand. Test is done with @ 48khz. The UAD Chart is done with 44.1 khz. Remember that this isn't even the newest (Sandy Bridge) CPU generation and we are about 6 - 8 months away from a possible milestone, because the next generation (Ivy Bridge) will feature CPUs with transistors build in all 3 dimensions (new: vertical).

SPL Vitalizer

32 Tracks 18% @ 2,1 Ghz
56 Tracks 40% @ 2,1 Ghz
96 Tracks 30% @ 3,8 Ghz
246 Tracks 81% @ 3,8 Ghz
270 instances @ 3,8 Ghz - 81% @ 44khz

I've choose 81% as max because beyond that point the system becomes, depending on the project, "nstable".
Old 1st September 2011
  #56
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
I couldn't agree less........ UAD stuff is outstanding and always at the top of the picks of pros.
i never contest the sound quality wich is fabulous

I'm talking about their new business model

a model that priced out most of the first customers who contribute to the actual success of UA
Old 1st September 2011
  #57
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
Native Instance Count:

Done on Intel I7 [email protected] 3.8Ghz. It raises the clock from 2,1 Ghz to 3,8 ghz, depending on demand. Test is done with @ 48khz. The UAD Chart is done with 44.1 khz. Remember that this isn't even the newest (Sandy Bridge) CPU generation and we are about 6 - 8 months away from a possible milestone, because the next generation (Ivy Bridge) will feature CPUs with transistors build in all 3 dimensions (new: vertical).

SPL Vitalizer 32 Tracks 18% @ 2,1 Ghz

56 Tracks 40% @ 2,1 Ghz
96 Tracks 30% @ 3,8 Ghz
246 Tracks 81% @ 3,8 Ghz

I've choose 81% as max because beyond that point the system becomes, depending on the project, "nstable".


Yup. And when you compare price the uad is priced as if it's gold. You can have a whole 930 based computer for way less than a QUAD. heh Hell the i7 970 6 core can be had for $500 now.

I love UA but they are going to start having serious problems keeping up with native; we have only started seeing the beginning of the domination. Even Protools saw the light and put out native versions.
Old 1st September 2011
  #58
Gear Addict
 

That's alot of UAD-Quads!

The fastest intel atm is even twice as fast as the i7 930.


(PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End)
Old 1st September 2011
  #59
Gear Addict
 

For the sake of completion: 270 instances @ 3,8 Ghz - 81% @ 44khz

I tested most of my plugins and here is another interesting thing to look at:

Waves Kramer Tape: 48 instances: 54% @ 3,8 Ghz @ 48khz


I am not mentioning this to diss UAD or so. They got so nice plugs... damn !
Old 1st September 2011
  #60
Lives for gear
 
kreeper_6's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
Doh!

From the fine print on that offer (which I also took part in): *Note: Plug-In coupons are not redeemable toward the new Lexicon 224 Classic Digital Reverb plug-in (UAD v.5.9), nor any plug-ins introduced thereafter (i.e. UAD v.6.0 and beyond).

Sorry
Matt


I actually ended up getting the Flexi to save a bit more on hardware.

Guess the Lexi will have to wait till the firesale in December. So it will be the ATR-102 + Manley/FATSO/EMT250/33609/SSL. Wanted to wait on the EMT/SSL, and not spend the $500 voucher till the firesale but I want in on this hardware promo.

Still, I get the Quad for $220 or free actually if you consider face value plugin cost...But I never pay full price.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump