The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BLA mod for MBox Pro Audio Interfaces
Old 14th June 2012
Gear Addict
these BLA guys will mod Chandler someday :|
Old 14th June 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.a.nick View Post
this mod must suck no reviews anywhere on the net
My guess is that there's a pretty small market for mbox owners looking to upgrade, and with the aforementioned PSU limitations, it seems like it'd really be a project studio only type of thing.

I fit the niche however, so I'm still curious.
Old 1st July 2012
Gear Head

I actually Have a Scheduled date Next 2 Weeks to Send Out My Mbox 3 Pro For The Premium Upgrade For The Unit I Will Post Some Audio Sessions Sometime Hopefully In Early August
Old 1st July 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEK View Post
I actually Have a Scheduled date Next 2 Weeks to Send Out My Mbox 3 Pro For The Premium Upgrade For The Unit I Will Post Some Audio Sessions Sometime Hopefully In Early August
Yes please I would love to hear back on that.
Old 3rd July 2012
Lives for gear
I bought the mbox pro 3 about 3 months ago and it's amazing. Way better than my 002r.

While a BLA mod might make it slightly better, I think most folks would be happy with this stock given the word clock support and defeatable preamps for external mic pres. If the mods work for others great. Will be interesting if they post before/after samples.
Old 3rd July 2012
Gear Addict

Glad that this is getting some response. Would love to hear some comparisons, but also feedback in general.

:thumbup::D
Old 3rd July 2012
Gear Nut

IMO its a great unit but most are turned off by the history behind the name and the quality problems for the first run units.
Old 3rd July 2012
Gear Addict

The stock mbox 3 pro is a considerable upgrade from previous products in the line. It's comparable to other products in its category: interfaces that use perfectly good conversion chips but with sub par analog paths and mediocre mic pres...

Luckily I don't use the pres much, but it would be cool to be able to. Thus my curiosity about the mod.
Old 3rd July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodstar57 View Post
IMO its a great unit but most are turned off by the history behind the name and the quality problems for the first run units.
"most"? I think most who are skeptical of BLA are unaware of what you're talking about but mistrust the general concept of modding existing products.
Old 3rd July 2012
Bought an MBox 3 Pro about November last year with a Macbook Pro.

All I can add is that it is astounding how much power and functionality there is in such a compact rig. Best of all, the sound quality is great.

For the money and size these things are great stock. Very happy with this piece of gear.
Old 3rd July 2012
Gear Addict

Funny. People seem to be talking about two separate things...

Mbox pro really is better than its reputation, but I thought this thread was more about the question marks surrounding the Black Lion Audio mod.
Old 3rd July 2012
I would say that the OT point is that the Mbox Pro is way better than the old Mboxes, or even the stock 002/3... not completely irrelevant to the theme of the OP...
Old 24th July 2012
Here for the gear

MBox 3 Pro mods

I was told through email that BLM replace the Op-Amps with a mixture of 2134 and 5532 types. It didn't say what the stock type were but I would assume something like a TL074 maybe?

"mixture of 2134 and 5532 op-amps. Along with the op-amps we replace a lot of the signal path capacitors as well as do converter decoupling work on the A/D and D/A converters"

Also the Line in inputs are seperate from the mic preamps and go straight to the A/D coverter without passing through gain staging. There is a document on avid's website that shows a block diagram of the MBox 3 Pro. BLM also confirmed that the line inputs bypass the preamps.

Click on "Mbox Technology Guide" under the download section.
Avid | Pro Tools and Mbox Pro 8x8 Audio Interface - Mac and Windows Computer Recording Hardware and Software Bundles from Avid
Old 24th July 2012
Here for the gear

Mbox 3 pro

I would like to know how BLM gets schematics too???? Anybody have one or know how to get one?
Old 2nd December 2012
Gear Head

It's been awhile since I had upgraded to the premium mod for the mbox 3 pro and I must say its a great mod!! The low and mid range is so much more defined and the top end has a richness but not overpowering without any eq recording vocals straight into the mbox mic pre I get a clear full sound with a sense of width to the vocals. Also routing it with a universal audio mic pre or a Avalon is killer!!! I have experience with black lions modded 003 and yes that unit has a slight edge still in the mix but for 550 getting the mbox 3 pro mod is a significant upgrade! Worth buying I will post audio file soon for you guys to compare the mbox 3 pro and 003r black lion mod
Old 16th December 2012
Here for the gear

I'm more interested in hearing the BL modded mbox vs stock to see if I think the difference in sound warrants the upgrade price
Old 21st December 2012
Here for the gear

I would also be interested in hearing some clips... Please make it soon...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search