The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Serpent Audio SB4001 - Stereo Buss Compressor (500 Series)
Old 19th August 2012
Lives for gear

Anybody?

What's up bonediddlies, did I miss a song? Who wants creme? Nobody? Ok, no creme...

JROD
Old 4th June 2013
Lives for gear

Bump. Any new users of this compressor? any comments, experiences? thxheh
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

I ended up picking one up quite a while back. Guess it was after August. I dig it. I've been using the SSL comp on a 4k desk lately, and the Serpent definitely has some common characteristics to the SSL.

Even if it doesn't sound identical, the features of the Serpent are amazing. The HPF and distortion are great. The mix function is great as well. Instant Parallel.

The Serpent is a great comp no matter the price range. For what it costs, it's a steal.

JROD
Old 5th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9900 View Post
For what it costs, it's a steal.

JROD
Indeed it seems like it is!
Old 12th December 2013
Lives for gear

Mine is arriving friday ! !!!!!!
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

bump
any more comments and experiences for 2014?
thinking of buying this or the SSL G 500
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

mi SB4001 is here to stay. So far i´ve used it in almost any task except drum bus (and not because i think it would not work, only cause i have not had the opportunity). Really flexible, great sounding, and all the features (internal sidechain filters and front access) and the grind and mix makes it even more versatile. And it looks great on the rack.. Satisfied customer here
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansest View Post
mi SB4001 is here to stay. So far i´ve used it in almost any task except drum bus (and not because i think it would not work, only cause i have not had the opportunity). Really flexible, great sounding, and all the features (internal sidechain filters and front access) and the grind and mix makes it even more versatile. And it looks great on the rack.. Satisfied customer here
great how does this unit compare to the "real" SSL G Bus 500 and/or the Elysia Xpressor?
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

I have not used the SSL for about 8 years, so for me it would be difficult to compare, i think the only meaningful way to do that is real A/B being the compressors the only change in the chain. Having said that i think it captures the spirit of the ssl buss comp but with a lot more options. If somebody have both side by side would also be interested in the a/b
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
If somebody have both side by side would also be interested in the a/b
that would be great. Let's find someone
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Bump
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

yaddabump! No one with the serpent and the ssl bus comp?
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Bump
Old 7th August 2014
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Our Clipalator has these and other SSL style compressors in there, and they are all set up with tones to perform the exact same amounts of dynamics control. See if you can discern what the differences are there, as it is a true A/B across the board!

War
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Our Clipalator has these and other SSL style compressors in there, and they are all set up with tones to perform the exact same amounts of dynamics control. See if you can discern what the differences are there, as it is a true A/B across the board!

War
Thanks. The SB sounds great
Old 12th August 2014
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Hi,

I'm just waiting for the shipment of a new 500 series rack that has stereo linking possibility so I wanted to ask is it better to link two channels on rack in stereo when placing Serpent SB 4001 in rack? Seams logical to me because sb4001 is a stereo unit ? I read that it doesn't have a possibility to work in dual mono anyway but what if I want to try it like a mono compressor? Would I have to switch then the rack back from stereo link to mono? Kind regards
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search