The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Serpent Audio SB4001 - Stereo Buss Compressor (500 Series)
Old 8th August 2011 | Show parent
OK guys, sorry for the delay on pricing.

Promotional Launch Price: $1099USD

Hope that makes you all happy

Please mention "Gearslutz" if you email, Thanks.

Last edited by ruckus328; 4th January 2012 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: Pricing/Edits
Old 9th August 2011 | Show parent
This price is great and it looks like a wonderful product. I'm surprised more people aren't causing a stir. However, I do agree with some of the earlier comments.

The biggest problem with this compressor is having "Shadow" in the brand name. It's confusing, and it make take away the appeal. Some may interpret it as some form of 'knock-off.' However, this is clearly not the case after reading through this thread.

Regards,
Phil
Old 10th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Very interesting! Does this need a separate 500 power source or how does that work here?
Old 10th August 2011 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catabolic View Post
Very interesting! Does this need a separate 500 power source or how does that work here?
No, curious why do you ask that?
Old 11th August 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

My bad. I don't have anything in this format yet but I thought you needed something like this to plug into.

API 500-6B 6 slot lunchbox with built-in Power Supply
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, as you can see below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus328 View Post
...Building off of the very popular SB4000 DIY Compressor, the SB4001 pushes the limits and sets new standards for the 500 Series Format....
it is a 500 series unit.. which does mean it needs something like you referenced here...

Quote:
My bad. I don't have anything in this format yet but I thought you needed something like this to plug into.

API 500-6B 6 slot lunchbox with built-in Power Supply
Quote:
No, curious why do you ask that?
But I think ruckus thought you meant does it need something different to one of the standard 500 series racks that these need.
An API lunchbox like the one you posted will take this and units comprising of 4 more spaces (as this compressor is a 2 space unit)
The lunchbox has all you need in it to power, connect and protect the unit shown in the first pic.

Hopefully this cleared up the confusion for you.
Kingtone - thanks for clearing that up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtone View Post
But I think ruckus thought you meant does it need something different to one of the standard 500 series racks that these need.
Yes, this is exactly the case, I had thought maybe he misinterpreted the power requirements (which are well within 500 series spec).
Old 12th August 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the clarification to both of you!
Old 16th August 2011 | Show parent
Quote:
No, this is a Commercial Product.

At the moment, units will be offered through direct sales. We sell/ship worldwide.
Very nice product, indeed. Keep it coming heh

What will be the S/H costs to Switzerland/Europe?
Old 27th September 2011 | Show parent
Greetings all, some updates for those that have been asking.

First off, to get it out of the way, (as you may have noticed in the pic), after much debate we have decided on a name change to Serpent. We'd like to note that we have decided to do this on our own accord, it was a difficult decision but with many upcoming commercial designs in the works as well as some new DIY builds on the horizon as well, we feel long term it is the right choice and will help prevent any confusion with any other company. Please keep your eye out as this thread name will be changing accordingly.

Now for the fun stuff, our official website has now launched, please visit www.serpentaudio.com SB4001 production is nearing completion, official ship date is Nov 10th.

Preording is officially open, units can be preordered on our website. Again, special preorder price is $999 + shipping, that price is good until October 20th. After that standard launch pricing will be $1099 + shipping.

Shipping prices vary slightly by country, but outside the US typical price is about $40. They're shipped USPS priority w/ insurance included in the price.

If there are any questions please email [email protected]

Thanks!
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Nut

Good move, looks better too, now I really want.
Lives for gear

Smart move!
Gear Addict

Are there any plans for full-DIY kits for SB4000 (I mean non lunchbox compressor)? Or maybe a production version?
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Head

Definatly deserves a new thread, new name new logo same great pre order price,

i think the serpent logo rocks.
Old 29th September 2011 | Show parent
Thanks guys, glad everyone's digging the new look.
Old 29th September 2011 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go View Post
Are there any plans for full-DIY kits for SB4000 (I mean non lunchbox compressor)?
Yes but here's probably not the best place for that discussion, might be better to discuss over on the support thread at prodigy-pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go View Post
Or maybe a production version?
Well, you're looking at it. If anything maybe a 1U version of the SB4001 someday, but this is probably doubtful. Reason being with the price point on this you could buy it and a lunchbox for about (or probably even cheaper) than a 1U version would cost, and then you still have 4 empty slots to play with
Old 30th September 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Any chance to get the faceplate without the rounded corners? It will look a bit odd next to all my other 500 series gear with square corners.
Old 1st October 2011 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapfreak View Post
Any chance to get the faceplate without the rounded corners? It will look a bit odd next to all my other 500 series gear with square corners.
Awe, you're killin me Can't tell you how many people told me how much they LOVE the corners, just an extra little touch. I think it looks killer in the rack, but to each thier own of course. Would love to be able to accomodate you on that one, but metalwork etc is already completed unfortunately.
Old 28th October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hey guys I've had a few days with mine now and I will say its awesome! The sound of the comp is probably the best I've heard of the VCA/SSL type compressors. And it is for sure the most flexibly of that kind I know of. I love the lowend on it and flexibility compared to a standard SSL buss. Grind is very cool! It adds more weight to a mix and color. So it really is like 2 different sounding compressors in one.

I look forward to more use to really get a grasp of what all it does but so far so good! I'm sure it will get used all the time now.

Oh and its awesome on Overheads as well!
Old 19th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

This thing looks amazing, and it seems very reasonably priced considering the features and the sound quality in those clips. Unfortunately I've never been much of a VCA compressor guy, so I'm going to have to pass on this one, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.
Old 24th November 2011
Lives for gear

Man, this looks awesome. I've been finding a lot of new 500 comps by new manufacturers that look amazing. This might go on the to-buy list!

Jrod
Old 29th November 2011 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
This thing looks amazing, and it seems very reasonably priced considering the features and the sound quality in those clips. Unfortunately I've never been much of a VCA compressor guy, so I'm going to have to pass on this one, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.
Thanks! Lots in store for 2012 Stay tuned...........
Old 29th November 2011 | Show parent
Just so everybody knows, units are now available (free shipping too until Dec 28th to most locations).

Preorders ate up alot of the first run inventory, but there are still units in stock and the second batch is going through final assembly now. With the current demand we're telling everyone to allow 1-2 weeks for new orders to ship.

Lots of cool things happening with it early in the New Year, expect to see some formal videos and a major industry review in the works as well.

Last edited by ruckus328; 1st December 2011 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Correction on shipping info
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

*puts on his waiting shoes*
Old 10th December 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

Howdy folks. if you want to hear what this SB4001 sounds like while tracking, check out my "In A Sentimental Mood" video:

In A Sentimental Mood - YouTube

My signal chain is: AKG C414B-ULS -> AML ez1073-500 -> ClassicAPI VC528 -> Serpent Audio SB4001 -> MOTU Traveler. All of those modules are for 51X/500-series.
Old 20th March 2012 | Show parent
Jai guru deva om

We now have the Serpent SB4001 fully featured in audio and video in our Clipalator. Go listen to it versus other clones...wow!

War

Last edited by Tim Farrant; 28th March 2012 at 03:46 AM.. Reason: removing advertising
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Sounds awesome. How many pesos??? $1100x12.5... $13,750 MXN Pesos... Jeez Loueez....
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Mine is clearing customs these days..
Old 29th May 2012
nms
Lives for gear

Definitely need to pick one of these up before the year is done!

If you don't have a 500 series rack and want a small one for one of these Radial Engineering released a good one recently:

http://www.vintageking.com/500-Serie...e=21%2C21%2C21
Old 21st July 2012
Lives for gear

So, any new updates? I have a Chameleon Labs 7720 and a pair of API 527s I've been using for some mix buss duties. Any input on this thing vs the 7720??? I'd be really curious to see that one...

JROD
πŸ“ Reply