The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beesneez Judas Ribbon Mic
Old 12th July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
A good friend of mine praises the AEA R84. How does Judas compare? Do you guys have other ribbons to make a quick shootout for comparison?
I hope I'm not asking too much. I love your mics!
Best.
I'm also curious about this... I think I've opened a can of worms with regard to getting some ribbons.. I've found deals on Sontronic Sigmas, Royer 101's, a AEA 840, now these... They're coming from all sides.. (my poor little cheapie chinese ribbons are cowering in the corner)...

On the up and up however, Ben and his crew have been brilliant and I'm hoping these will be a good answer for me. I'd rather spend the money with them.
Old 12th July 2011
Here for the gear

I too am curious about the Judas. I own a 'James' and a pair of 'Lulus' and they are great mics. When it comes to ribbons I only have a few in the locker (C & T Roswellite and a couple of Beyerdynamic M160s), so I do need to add to the pile. AEA has been at the top of the list, but the Judas intrigues me, for sure. A shootout, or some first hand impressions would be huge. Anxiously awaiting...
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Maniac

Interested in hearing a Judas too.

Hey Ben, are you going to be at Integrate this year?
Old 13th July 2011
Lives for gear

hi all, sorry to be a few days late with this one, i have been swamped. Here is a Frequency chart to croon over. have fun.

Beesneez Judas Ribbon Mic-judas-frequency-response.jpg
Old 13th July 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks Ben..
Old 14th July 2011
Lives for gear

Can we get a group buy?!?!?
Old 14th July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst View Post
Can we get a group buy?!?!?
heh I'd be in for that....

Ben?
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Ben,
a little bump for some sound samples, I can't wait to hear this mic...
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

hi all, sorry about the delay. things have been very hectic.

Matt our production manager and i ended up finding 5 minutes today so here is some acoustic guitar. the mic handled things so well. very proud we are, like a couple of new born's parents.....

Guitar Judas_001_3.mp3
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

sweet... ribbons sure do have their thing, and it's a good thing...

Any thoughts about what this one does differently/better than the competition?
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

hi tim and all.

There were a few things we aimed to attain when designing and manufacturing the Judas ie; No Asian Intervention, all made in_house, robust construction and sonically pleasing.

Every Ribbon mic will have it's merits, the Judas' will be it's ability to handle high SPL's and still sound great. Many ribbons when handling higher SPL's area lose their pleasantness, the Judas doesn't.

thanks

ben
Old 9th August 2011
Here for the gear

How much SPL can the Judas take?
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrt View Post
How much SPL can the Judas take?
• Maximum SPL: >135dB @ 20 Hz

thanks.

did you like the clips?

ben
Old 30th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Anyone get this mic yet? I am looking to buy my first ribbon. I spent time with the royer 121 and just didn't come away loving it on anything. I actually preferred the royer 101 on clean and dirty electric guitar and on acoustic. But this mic looks interesting and I have have heard one Beezneez mic before and was very impressed.

Any thoughts or opinions on it so far? I know their mics are built to sound as a new design rather than a clone or what have you but how would you compare it to other ribbons?

Thanks very much
Old 30th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCruz View Post
Anyone get this mic yet? I am looking to buy my first ribbon. I spent time with the royer 121 and just didn't come away loving it on anything. I actually preferred the royer 101 on clean and dirty electric guitar and on acoustic. But this mic looks interesting and I have have heard one Beezneez mic before and was very impressed.

Any thoughts or opinions on it so far? I know their mics are built to sound as a new design rather than a clone or what have you but how would you compare it to other ribbons?

Thanks very much
I ended up with two of these.. and love them. I haven't been able to use them much as of yet, (only on a bit of e-guitar), and won't be back to where they are for a few weeks yet, but here's what I think.

They are a very nice mic that gave me a faithful reproduction of what I heard in the room. I would say that the eq was relatively flat across the board.. not boomy or boxy, not shrill or brittle.. Just a very nice sound that allows for adding or subtracting EQ in any frequency without penalty. These are everything I wanted in a ribbon.

I have plans for some acoustic guitar woork soon, and maybe even some vocal work, (I'll try a M-S config with this just cuz).

Though I have used these only a little bit yet I'll say this about Ben and his company, They are great people! and the mics might even be better. Every time I buy one of Bens mics I walk away feeling like I got away with something.. these mics sound beautiful. I find that every time I get another B/N I sell off some of my other mics.. I have 6 of his now and will be getting more..

Ben makes a great product and if I sound like I'm fawning on them, it's just a reflection of the quality of goods they offer and who they are as people. Ben still answers his own phone and takes time with answering your questions, no matter your knowledge level and offers sound advice, pardon the pun.
Old 1st October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
I ended up with two of these.. and love them. I haven't been able to use them much as of yet, (only on a bit of e-guitar), and won't be back to where they are for a few weeks yet, but here's what I think.

They are a very nice mic that gave me a faithful reproduction of what I heard in the room. I would say that the eq was relatively flat across the board.. not boomy or boxy, not shrill or brittle.. Just a very nice sound that allows for adding or subtracting EQ in any frequency without penalty. These are everything I wanted in a ribbon.

I have plans for some acoustic guitar woork soon, and maybe even some vocal work, (I'll try a M-S config with this just cuz).

Though I have used these only a little bit yet I'll say this about Ben and his company, They are great people! and the mics might even be better. Every time I buy one of Bens mics I walk away feeling like I got away with something.. these mics sound beautiful. I find that every time I get another B/N I sell off some of my other mics.. I have 6 of his now and will be getting more..

Ben makes a great product and if I sound like I'm fawning on them, it's just a reflection of the quality of goods they offer and who they are as people. Ben still answers his own phone and takes time with answering your questions, no matter your knowledge level and offers sound advice, pardon the pun.
Hey There, Thanks very much for the detailed reply! Your thoughts have helped me a great deal. I will try contacting Ben about the Mic and pick his brain some.

If you get any recordings of the mic(s) I would love to hear them. Thanks again!
Old 1st October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCruz View Post
Hey There, Thanks very much for the detailed reply! Your thoughts have helped me a great deal. I will try contacting Ben about the Mic and pick his brain some.

If you get any recordings of the mic(s) I would love to hear them. Thanks again!

I'll see what I can do when I get back to Perth.. I'm smack in the middle of moving back to Sydney so it may be awhile..
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

This is close in price to and AEA R84 . The sound examples on multiple sources over at Zen Pro audio and various ribbon mic shoot-outs have put the AEA R84 at the top of my soon to buy list . For me a ribbon that sounds great on guitar cabs and male vocals are the two applications I would be using it for the most .

How does the Judas compare with the AEA R84? Not the tube version , the passive version . I didn't see vocals mentioned in the first post .
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

I did a small search looking for audio clips with no luck . If they exist can you point me in that direction . Thanks!
Old 2nd October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Pyramid View Post
I did a small search looking for audio clips with no luck . If they exist can you point me in that direction . Thanks!

The only clip I could find is the one a few posts up of acoustic guitar. Does anyone have more clips, or comments/thoughts about this mic?
Old 24th October 2011
Lives for gear

I am intersted in the Judas but I want to know some experiences with it. How sound for trumpet, winds and violin??? I can consider the judas in the royer 121 land???
Old 6th March 2012
Gear Maniac

Just wanted to bump this thread to see if there are any new users out there. I picked one up and love it! Sounds very natural and has done a great job filling out some of my recordings. I've used it on acoustic guitar, as a drum room mic, as a guitar amp room mic and as a drum overhead.

I want to try it out in a close mic'ed guitar amp setup. Has anyone done this yet? Any tips on how to safely go about this to protect the mic?

Thanks
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

Hey there, Ben. How would the Judas fare with vocals?
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly_Rogers View Post
Hey there, Ben. How would the Judas fare with vocals?
I'm not Ben, but I have the Judas and have tried it on vocals. If you like how ribbons sound on vocals, you won't be disappointed. It's a great mic overall. I mostly use it as a room mic for drums and guitar amps.

Mine is the non tube version
📝 Reply