Equator Audio announced D5 Coax Monitors with DSP = 300$/pair
Old 20th June 2011
Gear nut

Hardware Equator Audio announced D5 Coax Monitors with DSP = 300$/pair

Today I found this on the equator homepage:

Equator 2-Way Active Coaxial Studio Monitors with Internal DSP (Sold as a Pair).

The Goal: Develop a Pro Monitor to Sell for Under $300 a Pair.

The only way we can get this quality studio monitor under 300 per pair is to sell them online, direct.

By selling direct to the end-user, we eliminate the margins normally received by a distributor, a retailer, and a factory sales rep. Further, by reducing our own margins we are able to use the highest quality (expensive) components to deliver the absolute best product for an amazing $299.99 introductory price.

Through normal retail distribution channels, with our current BOM (Bill Of Materials) and the cost of each link in that sales chain (Distributor, Rep, Dealer), the D5 would cost the end-user no less than $749 per pair ... with performance that exceeds that of other competitive $749 per pair products.

Our new D5 (Direct 5) studio monitors are geared for the recording professional seeking a small (9.75" x 7" x 8.5"), affordable, accurate, well-voiced, reference studio monitor solution. Focused attention was paid to the development details to ensure that they deliver professional sonic performance. These monitors feature an expensive coaxially designed transducer with a 5.25" woofer and a 1" silk tweeter. The frequency response is 53hz to 20khz. A new cutting edge digital amp with breakthrough performance was designed specifically for the D5. The internal DSP allows for intricate factory adjustments.

The D5 has pro features like a balanced XLR (and unbalanced TRS ) input as well as a boundary selection switch to select the appropriate monitor response for their placement (in a corner, in front of a wall, free standing). No plastic front baffle here, the D5 features an all wood cabinet, including a wood front baffle, for optimum performance. No simple air releasing cutout on the front baffle or cut-out hole in the back here, the D5 features a fully extended 1.75" perfectly tuned front port, providing superior and accurate extended low-end response. And because the port is on the front the D5 can be positioned close to a wall with no fear of the low-end being choked. The coaxial transducer design combined with a steep 4th order crossover delivers a detailed mid-range that allows for clarity in that complex 900Hz - 3 kHz range. Guitars, voices, strings, horns, reverb trails are very clearly and accurately portrayed and any mid-range anomalies that might exist in the source material can be easily determined and addressed. Because of our matched transducer output, mid-range mix elements can be positioned in the stereo field without the fear of being misplaced. The D5’s are optimally pre-set and voiced for ideal instrument translation.

Like the Q Series, the D5 features our Zero-Point Reference™ custom designed coaxial Digitally-Controlled Transducers™ along with internal DSP to provide a consistently matched output with every unit. This allows for accurate no-shift imaging. The DSP also allows for pin-point accurate voicing. The voicing was aided by award-winning recording engineers that referenced their hit mixes for voicing considerations. With high-quality components, internal DSP, 100w of power and 103 dB of SPL the D5 deliver a huge bang for a little buck.

The Direct Field systems start at $299 and are available within the United States, Canada and Mexico directly from the Equator Audio online store.

We are so confident that you will love them that we even offer a 60 Day Money Back Guarantee.

Source:
Equator D5 5.25" Coaxial Studio Monitors w/ Internal DSP for Matched Output and Accurate Voicing. Under 300 Per Pair.

Needless to say that I'm pretty pissed for living in europe, eh?
Old 4th August 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnS View Post
Needless to say that I'm pretty pissed for living in europe, eh?
You are happy boy! they ship to France I`m pissed off by living In Latvia
Old 4th August 2011
Gear nut

I doubt that they'll ship to the EU cos the backplate says "120V", which wouldn't be suitable for european use...
Old 4th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnS View Post

The D5 has pro features like a balanced XLR (and unbalanced TRS ) input ...
Uhm, TRS is also balanced. Maybe you mean TS.

If anybody hears these, please let us know how they sound.

PS: If Equator could make them work for 230V (Europe), that would be awesome.

Cheers!
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

TRS can be both. TRS as stereo...
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

Just ordered.

G
Old 8th August 2011
Gear maniac

Is there any further info about the power supply?
MOST power supplies of this type are switchable (they are not difficult to design this way...) 110/230(240)....

B.
Old 9th August 2011
Gear addict

This is the first I've heard of Equator monitors. Has anyone compared theirs to the old Tannoy coaxial line, i.e. Gold Monitor? Those classic Tannoys are my standard, but physically too large for the workbench. I need a smaller coaxial with the same high quality imaging and detail, and wondering if something from Equator might be the ticket.

Thanks,
Old 9th August 2011
Lives for gear

Curious...

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 10th August 2011
Gear maniac

Thom - thanks for the review!
Just wondering if you can check - are the power supplies 110/240 switchable? These sound like a great little pair I might be able to travel with - but I need both voltages to be useful. And I don't have the spare weight to carry a conversion transformer with me
Thanks! Brendan.
Old 10th August 2011
Lives for gear
Ted Keffalo - is it possible he was the designer of the KEF series?
i use the KEF Q15 passive monitors, also coaxial... love them.

i used to have the KEF C55s, coaxial/passive... those were sick too.

is this the same designer?
Old 10th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwoodblues1969 View Post
Yes,Ted is the same designer.If you click on the link the original poster provided,you'll find out everything you want to know about this company.Alternatively,you could just Google the D5's....that's what I did.

-Thom
that makes me want them already... i did dig around the site, didn't see the KEF brand specifically mentioned in his bio, just Event and Alesis...
also cool, i didn't know he had a hand in the 20/20s. really glad to see this guy is still developing what is my hands-down favorite design.
Old 10th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Sorry friend,but it's strictly 120V....I suspect that this is due in part,to the unusually low cost of this particular model.
Perhaps this will change in the future and consequently cost more coin.

-Thom
Ah - thanks for letting me know. One hopes a 240v version is on the cards...
Old 14th August 2011
it's weird that the review on their website is the same one that Thom wrote here. All of Thoms posts are in this thread. Something smells fishy.

Thom, what's your affiliation with the company?

Anyone else try them?
Old 14th August 2011
Lives for gear

these look pretty nice...
Old 14th August 2011
Quote:
My affiliation with the company?Well....I bought a pair of D5's from their website and then posted a user review on their website.
That being said,my affiliation with the company,is that I am one of their CONSUMERS.....does that make any sense to you?

I discovered this thread when I ran a Google search on the Equator D5's,& this website came up on the list....so I decided to engage in a discussion over a product I had a vested interest in,which is not an uncommon thing to have happen.

Here's a friendly tip for you....if you want to post the same product review in more than one website,you highlight your article,copy it and then paste it to the next desired location.

Why would someone do this you ask?To save time.Why would someone post a review in more than one website?Common courtesy,if one is so inclined and has some spare time on their hands.

If I am a legitimate consumer,why have I not frequented this forum more?Because I spend most of my time at Kara-Moon.com,KVRaudio.com and TweakHeadz.com

If I was some evil marketing rep out to scam you,do you really think I would tell you the truth,about my real intentions?

Perhaps you should be more pragmatic in your research,before you start crying conspiracy,like for instance,checking with SoundOnSound magazine to see if there are any reviews on Equator Audio products.

If you bothered to read through Equator Audio's history on their website,you could extrapolate quite a bit of leads into this company's track record.

I can understand one being cautious & having a reasonable degree of skepticism towards a product they're unfamiliar with and I myself,was sketchy about them a couple of weeks ago,but I pounded the pavement so to speak and did all of the necessary research,until I was satisfied(which did not include accusing other forum members of being company affiliates).

Check the date I joined this forum,as it was nearly two years ago.I butted heads with some other forum members long ago & decided to lay low for a while,as I am only interested in gear talk,not fighting over arbitrary nonsense.

If you're so suspicious of these monitors,than make things easy on yourself and don't buy them,period.

-Thom
Fair enough. Didn't mean to call you out. Just asking in the interest of "full disclosure." Obviously on a site like this people are just here to create interest in new products and sell a few more units.

I hadn't heard of this company before and I'm always put off by the "We've cut out the middle man to bring you xxxx product at the absolute lowest price direct from us...." sales pitches YMMV
Old 14th August 2011
Thanks for the links. Though, like this thread, both of those discussions seem to be driven by you. Not accusing you of anything, so please don't read it that way, but I would love to read some others opinions on them.

Cheers!
Old 14th August 2011
Gear addict

Looks interesting! Do you know if they plan on making a version with 8-inch drivers? I recently discovered my mixes were lacking in the 3k range (see thread here ) so I'm looking into potentially switching out the old Mackie HR824's with something else. However, I'd imagine I'll be missing the 8-inch woofer...

Would love to hear more opinions on these monitors. Thanks for bringing them to our attention OP!
Old 17th August 2011
Lives for gear

i just ordered mine, i'll let u guys know how it sounds like to my ears...
Old 25th August 2011
Lives for gear

I tested the Q12s early this year.......................................................................................................................
Old 25th August 2011
Lives for gear

Waiting for mine to show up.

Another week or so ...

G
Old 26th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dude....just out of curiosity,do you live in some remote part of Canada,or thereabouts?
I live in N.J. and I received my D5's in 5 business days.It doesn't seem possible to me that you live anywhere in the U.S.-as if you do,something must be seriously wrong with you're shipment,as it's been about 3 weeks since you ordered them.

-Thom
Well, I can see you keep tracks ...

Now I live in Europe,
and they needed some extra time to convert the power to 230V.

Now they are on the way, so when I say another week,
that is after customs have kept them for a few days.
They work in slow motion in that department ...

But hey, I am OK

G
Old 26th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm assuming that(apart from shipping),you're paying no more than $300-correct?
-Thom
Same price as everyone else

G
Old 27th August 2011
Gear maniac

Equator D5 Arrived

Okay so I got my D5's yesterday and here are my intial impressions. They are very nice sounding speakers! I was looking for some smaller speakers that were focused and these do that very well. I use Genelec's and Opal's for mains and some Avantone cubes. So I figured $300 for a pair of coaxial's heck that's the price of a stomp pedal I can sell for the cash.The detail in the mids is very smooth and of course a really nice center stage. There is some roll-off at the extremes but that is to be expected. So there you have it, I have not had a chance to do a mix on them and evaluate the translation as yet, but using some of my trusted reference material I was pleasantly surprised. I was skeptical as probably most of you were with the whole middle man thing but as far as I'm concerned this was a great deal! Thanks Equator for the D5's.
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele27 View Post
Okay so I got my D5's yesterday and here are my intial impressions. They are very nice sounding speakers! I was looking for some smaller speakers that were focused and these do that very well. I use Genelec's and Opal's for mains and some Avantone cubes. So I figured $300 for a pair of coaxial's heck that's the price of a stomp pedal I can sell for the cash.The detail in the mids is very smooth and of course a really nice center stage. There is some roll-off at the extremes but that is to be expected. So there you have it, I have not had a chance to do a mix on them and evaluate the translation as yet, but using some of my trusted reference material I was pleasantly surprised. I was skeptical as probably most of you were with the whole middle man thing but as far as I'm concerned this was a great deal! Thanks Equator for the D5's.
If import taxes weren't a rip off here in canada I would buy a pair

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 28th August 2011
Gear interested

Hello all, Donnie B. here. Full disclosure. I am one of the engineers that developed the D5s as well as the higher end Q series stuff. Hopefully I can help clarify a few things about the D5s and Equator in general.

Ted Keffalo's bio and history is listed here:

About Us

The first runs of the D5 will all be 120V. Once we get a feel for the international market demand for them, a run will be made that will be 230V. Until then you can contact Equator and they can convert a pair from 120V to 230V for you. Contact info can easily be found on Equator's web site.

Here's how the boundary settings are designed to work based on where you place the speakers in your room.

Setting #1 is for when the speakers are placed in a corner where you have 2 surfaces (walls) reflecting the low frequencies. The low end of the speakers is attenuated to compensate for this.

Setting #2 is for when the speakers are placed against a wall. The low end is only slightly attenuated in this position.

Setting #3 is for when the speakers are free standing with no reflective surfaces close by. There is no low end attenuation in this position.

All that being said, in the end it's up to each user to decide which position works best. There is no hard and fast rules. By all means EXPERIMENT with all of the settings.

Lastly, as far as the current business model is set up. When you order a pair of speakers, you are ordering directly from Equator. There is no distributor, rep, or dealer markups involved.

Let me know if this helps or if you have additional questions. Your best bet would be to contact Equator directly but I'll be hanging out here as a fall back.

Cheers!
Old 29th August 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks Donnie

G
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear maniac

D5's are off to an excellent start.

Received a pair of D5's this morning and have worked with them for several hours now.... time for some lunch...

Initial impressions??

Very, very good.

More thoughts later.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Same price as everyone else

G

Hi
I'm Uk as well.
Always worried about the duty and Vat the Customs put on these things.
Are you able to provide info on what they charged on yours

much appreciated.

Ronnie
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

sorry slutz, i've been busy with other stuff and i know i've been a bad slut by not trying these speakers when they arrived,

i tested them today and here are my impressions:

first of all, u hear alot in this forum that someone buys something and says "the built is like a tank" u heard that alot no??
when these speakers arrived, (first time ordering speakers from the internet) i was worried if they were gonna get damaged on the way. but as soon as i opened them, the famous "built like a tank" statement came to my head. not only they are built like a tank, but i'm really wondering if they actually used the materials of a tank body to build these. i honestly had experience on being in the tank, on the tank, driving the tank, and these speakers feel like a real tank

i have a pair of adam a7x at home, pair of dynaudio bm6a at work , and master on b&w at work... i'm always with some friends who got their own studios with bigger yamaha, genelec, krk, and at home they got adam a3x, hs50, rokit5, etc... so i'm very familiar with sounds of different speakers...

i hooked them up to my dangerous Dbox alternative speakers outs, since the main speakers are the adams. i leveled them with the adams, and realized that the setting "one" is the best one to work with for me,

let's talk about these speakers in two parts.
1. PRICE
$300 for a pair?? costs the same as a single adam a3x, and almost the same price as a krk rokit 5 or something. so price wise it's on an amazing spot...
2. SOUND.
lows are very solid, crystal clear highs, forward mids. which are the other alternative speakers to these in size and price? NONE, krk, adam, yamaha, genelec at this size are not comparable to these.
comparing it to my adam a7x, the differences are the mids, which the d5's are more forward, but the adams are more detailed. stereo image of adams are more detailed as well.. compare it to hs80? i would sell the hs80's if i had them after buying these... would i sell my adams? no. do i "need" these d5's? yes.
how much the quality of the sound of d5's are worthed in my opinion?? i would say $500 each..
it's the best speakers in this size. and in the same league of 6"+ speakers.
if u are in a home studio and are looking for QUALITY speakers, these are the ones u r looking for...
as u can see i'm very much surprised by these speakers...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search