The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sknote presents STRIPBUS
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
The Strip should go under some fast testing before the end of this week.

We'll see how this heavy upgrade (v.2) behaves in different systems, then it will be distributed by email.
Awaiting BETAheh
Old 17th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
Awaiting BETAheh
Very cool; please post your impressions when you've had a chance to play around.
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Talking

Don't know if you answered this question already Quinto but here goes.

In a future update can you consider adding a diode limiter for the Bus plugin?

Shortly thereafter followed by a Vari Mu??

Can't wait to hear V2!

Peace
Illumination
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear
Any chance of porting some of your plugins to Linux? Imagine the possibilties of Ardour + Stripbus!! And your user base will grow for sure!!
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Don't know if you answered this question already Quinto but here goes.
In a future update can you consider adding a diode limiter for the Bus plugin?
Shortly thereafter followed by a Vari Mu??
Can't wait to hear V2!
Peace
Illumination
Yes, thinking about new models. Like many of the other effects Bus is like a "container". Just look at the upcoming new compressor model and the new console models in Strip.
We'll add more, trying to model something coherent with the same interface, so that we get used to a device while getting the possibility to choose among different flavors (and sharing the same special extras like the Mid-Side compression balance and internal dry-wet parallel).
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
Any chance of porting some of your plugins to Linux? Imagine the possibilties of Ardour + Stripbus!! And your user base will grow for sure!!
I'm sure we'll consider it after completing the porting to ProTools formats...
Wondering what the userbase is...
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sure we'll consider it after completing the porting to ProTools formats...
Wondering what the userbase is...
For music production? Not much. I do use Linux once in a while, but I'd never use it for music production, that's not where its strength lies.
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltones View Post
For music production? Not much. I do use Linux once in a while, but I'd never use it for music production, that's not where its strength lies.
Linux can be anything you want actually!
There are some Linux distributions related and optimized for audio:
AV Linux - Install...Create...
Home | Ubuntu Studio
and more...

And some great audio production softwares:
Ardour: ardour - the digital audio workstation
Harrison Mixbus harrisonconsoles.com - Mixbus
Renoise: About | Renoise
and a lot more!

PLUS: a BIG user base with great support.
The game is changing fast. Linux is free and people are short on money, so why not a free OS and some free or cheap softwares and plugins?
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

I question how the size of the DAW market on Linux. Seems esoteric and niche... and music production is a pretty niche market to begin with if you compare DAW and plugin revenue to just about any other category of software.
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

What is the plugin format on Linux? A special format or VST and such?
Supporting Linux could be satisfaction if it isn't terribly hard.
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
What is the plugin format on Linux? A special format or VST and such?
Supporting Linux could be satisfaction if it isn't terribly hard.
There are 3 formats:
LADSPA (Old)
LV2 (newer)
and VST.
And when i say VST i'm not talking about VST's coded for Windows that run on linux with some sort of emulation.
I really mean native VST for linux which i think will be the easier way for you to port your plugins.
LV2 format seems to be good also.
Check linux-vst.com
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear
Also found this:
Raw Material Software •
I think some windows VST's are ported to Linux with it.
Old 18th November 2011
Here for the gear

hey scalawag, falkFX from the linuxmusicians.com has ported many VSTs to LV2.. many contact him and see if he's into it... Linux is a great platform for audio.. would love to have the Snote vsts ported...
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmuscle View Post
hey scalawag, falkFX from the linuxmusicians.com has ported many VSTs to LV2.. many contact him and see if he's into it... Linux is a great platform for audio.. would love to have the Snote vsts ported...
I'm pretty sure Sknote will be abble to do it without help.
Old 18th November 2011
Here for the gear

true dat!
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Strip got more filters than listed before.
This is the new list:

Highs:

- off
- dynamic (the original dual mode one)
- parallel high (a parallel filter)
- parallel air (higher frequency)
- lowpass 6dB/oct
- lowpass 12dB/oct
- lowpass 12 resonant
- double hi-shelf (a shelf and then an higher shelf)
- dynamic parallel high
- dynamic parallel air
- dynamic 6dB/oct
- dynamic double hi-shelf

Mids:

- off
- dynamic (original)
- static

Lows:

- off
- dynamic (original)
- hipass 6dB/oct
- hipass 12dB/oct
- hipass 12 resonant
- hipass 12 smooth
- proxy (hipass with pronounced resonance)
- dynamic proxy (great sustain)

Looks complicated but it isn't. Just select one and go.
Some filters should be interesting because of different twists like the double shelf, the dynamics and the proxy ones.
We are full of EQs already, I know. The goal here was to have more "balancing" filters, with the dynamics especially useful at the extremes for sustain, de-mudding, air and smoothness.
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Uuufffff. This will take some months to absorb.

Can't wait!!!
Old 19th November 2011
really cool. but what freqs are these filters at? or is it better to just use broad strokes and the ears.... keep this a mystery...
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Parallel filters - yes!!
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

With hipass and lowpass you change the frequency.
Shelves are very broad and tuned to typical bands.
Parallel have two options around typical bands and are very broad.
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlloyd View Post
Parallel filters - yes!!
After adding the parallel version of some high filters I wonder how we could use the static ones
And the bass one seems to add quite an amount of clean sustain.

They still need use for us to understand how well they behave, of course.

Some filters will require some experiments, like the shelf ones, being them bi-directional (amplification or attenuation).
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

I describe the main new features of Strip v.2 here, it will be useful for the tests and any discussion should follow.

Channel Level Offset menu: it sets the internal reference level of the Strip. The output level remains the same, internal levels change for a less or more stressed version of the device. Acts on the single INSTANCE.
Defaults at -6dB to get a more neutral default setup (v.1 was too easily stressed).

Global Extra Headroom: if the mix starts sounding too squashed, restore some headroom on the whole console by increasing this value. Acts on the whole CONSOLE (you see all instances moving at once). It is like the action of the whole console.

Noise: it is optional, of course. Four different options: off, low, mid, hi. It is related to the power of the incoming signal, to avoid getting a trivial noise background independent from the sound. You can ever add a noise source to get that (I don't know why we should...).

X-talk: it is optional, of course. I think this is really unique in the world of plugins. Waiting for some more tests before claiming the rights for the invention
The INTER-TRACK crosstalk among all tracks is emulated. You can hear a track through another one! This is how to hear it:
- load two tracks, one empty, one with sustained looped sound like guitars. Load two instances of the Strip. Set the fader on the full track to silence (yes, the one with some wav inside: fader to -oo). Set the fader for the empty track to max (0dB). Set the Strip on the full track with high gain and volume. Select Xtalk "Hi". You'll hear the sound from a track coming out from the other one.
This crosstalk DOESN'T sum up. It doesn't increase with the number of instances loaded.

The FILTERS:
- new "off" option added to each filter
- Proxy is a hipass with broad resonance. I see a lot of talking about this kind of filter and new products. You can use this one to process drums, bass and more. And the voice, to emulate proximity effect and manage distance from the listener (proximity -> near). This one has a great option: it can be dynamic! I get very interesting results with this option: clean, sustained, transparent and such. A lot of room for tests, here.
- Double shelf filters (with dynamic option) are a hishelf followed by another higher hishelf (like a two steps staircase, going up or down). The idea here is to get some highs and then some more air. The dynamic option makes it a lot more transparent, of course.

The new console models:

- Console C: solid state, very colored
- Console D: tube, more neutral, a "big bottom". Nice bass dynamics even when saturating.

All the new features, including noise and inter-track crosstalk apply to the existing A and B consoles, too.

More on this later...
Old 19th November 2011
Gear Addict

Do you mean noise like the waves plugins? I hope not or at least I hope it can be bypassed. Everything is very welcomed..... except noise! :p
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbas View Post
Do you mean noise like the waves plugins? I hope not or at least I hope it can be bypassed. Everything is very welcomed..... except noise! :p
Optional, with selectable level (or OFF)!
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Off by default I presume?
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, of course. Both noise and crosstalk are off by default.
Old 19th November 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
I describe the main new features of Strp v.2 here, it will be useful for the tests and any discussion should follow.

Channel Level Offset menu: it sets the internal reference level of the Strip. The output level remains the same, internal levels change for a less or more stressed version of the device. Acts on the single INSTANCE.
Defaults at -6dB to get a more neutral default setup (v.1 was too easily stressed).

Global Extra Headroom: if the mix starts sounding too squashed, restore some headroom on the whole console by increasing this value. Acts on the whole CONSOLE (you see all instances moving at once). It is like the action of the whole console.

Noise: it is optional, of course. Four different options: off, low, mid, hi. It is related to the power of the incoming signal, to avoid getting a trivial noise background independent from the sound. You can ever add a noise source to get that (I don't know why we should...).

X-talk: it is optional, of course. I think this is really unique in the world of plugins. Waiting for some more tests before claiming the rights for the invention
The INTER-TRACK crosstalk among all tracks is emulated. You can hear a track through another one! This is how to hear it:
- load two tracks, one empty, one with sustained looped sound like guitars. Load two instances of the Strip. Set the fader on the full track to silence (yes, the one with some wav inside: fader to -oo). Set the fader for the empty track to max (0dB). Set the Strip on the full track with high gain and volume. Select Xtalk "Hi". You'll hear the sound from a track coming out from the other one.
This crosstalk DOESN'T sum up. It doesn't increase with the number of instances loaded.

The FILTERS:
- new "off" option added to each filter
- Proxy is a hipass with broad resonance. I see a lot of talking about this kind of filter and new products. You can use this one to process drums, bass and more. And the voice, to emulate proximity effect and manage distance from the listener (proximity -> near). This one has a great option: it can be dynamic! I get very interesting results with this option: clean, sustained, transparent and such. A lot of room for tests, here.
- Double shelf filters (with dynamic option) are a hishelf followed by another higher hishelf (like a two steps staircase, going up or down). The idea here is to get some highs and then some more air. The dynamic option makes it a lot more transparent, of course.

The new console models:

- Console C: solid state, very colored
- Console D: tube, more neutral, a "big bottom". Nice bass dynamics even when saturating.

All the new features, including noise and inter-track crosstalk apply to the existing A and B consoles, too.

More on this later...

Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

What an impressive list of changes - looking forward to it!!!
heh #¤%&!!

::
Mads
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Just got the beta but the studio's ac died, waiting for the repair man
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Talking

Ok maybe its too late but here's my thoughts.

The new consoles sound amazing!

The reference level and global headroom levels kick butt!

I love +6 and +12 for dirtying up drums, bass and vocals.

I haven't tried the EQs yet but here's the one resounding thing I think that is missing from Stripbus and I recommended it for Roundtone and it made it a CLASSIC.

We need LINKED MODE for this thing already!

If not for the channel parameters then at least for the console algorithms.

Its a bit of a pain to just insert these on the tracks and have to switch EVERY time you load a new instance to whichever console you want.

I would very much like it if you could have a linked console mode so all instances once they are linked become linked at the EMU stage. I know this would limit flexibility somewhat if you are mixing and matching sounds but its a switch I'm talking about, nothing more, nothing less.

If I'm mixing on a tube console then that's all I'd be mixing through. Maybe you could think about linking the channel offset too?

This needs to be added pronto!

This plugin (Stripbus) has my vote for a tie for best new software product of 2011. The other product that I place on the same level is UBK-1. Both of these devices are MUST haves. Best DAW product for 2011 by far is Reaper 4.

Peace
Illumination
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search