The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NEW!! Maag Audio EQ4™ (500 Series)
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Head

Hardware NEW!! Maag Audio EQ4™ (500 Series)

Hello fellow Gearslutz!

The NEW Maag Audio EQ4™ (500 Series) will be available in June from our rock solid dealers!

Sweetwater | Vintage King | DSPdoctor | John Downs & Associates | ZenPro Audio

The new Maag Audio EQ4™ (500 Series) is a one channel 6 band equalizer with AIR BAND™ (shelf boost from 2.5 to 40kHz), compatible with the API 500-6B lunchbox® and 500VPR rack systems. Following its EQ3 and EQ3-D predecessors, the EQ4 provides unparalleled transparency and top end presence while maintaining the true natural sound behind the mix. EQ adjustments are obtained with minimal phase shift and detent controls allow for easy recallable settings.

Presented in the flagship lunchbox® portable format, the EQ4 offers the legendary AIR BAND™ and five other sonically superior band passes.

Attached Thumbnails
NEW!! Maag Audio EQ4™ (500 Series)-eq4_1.jpg   NEW!! Maag Audio EQ4™ (500 Series)-eq4_3.jpg  

Last edited by maagaudio; 17th May 2011 at 04:56 AM.. Reason: Added ZenPro Audio as a Dealer
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Does the eq sound like the EQ3 or the EQ3D?
Old 13th May 2011
Gear Addict

I've heard this in person...sounds awesome on a great tube mic!
Brings clarity without losing that vintage sound from the mic...I want one BAD!!
Old 13th May 2011
Lives for gear

Been waiting for this!

$?

Old 14th May 2011
Gear Head

Eq3 + eq3-d = eq4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Does the eq sound like the EQ3 or the EQ3D?
The Maag Audio EQ4 combines the best features of the EQ3 and the EQ3-D. The EQ4 captures, if not surpasses the sonic quality of the EQ3/EQ3-D. It has recallable detents like the EQ3 and the selectable frequencies in the AIR BAND like the EQ3-D, all packaged in a compact 500 Series configuration.
Old 14th May 2011
Gear Head

Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi View Post
Been waiting for this!

$?

Retail is $995
Old 18th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maagaudio View Post
Retail is $995

Thanks!

Old 18th May 2011
Jai guru deva om

Street is $849.

Very excited to hear these, and post in the Clipalator...

War
Old 21st May 2011
Lives for gear

Supposedly I'm in line for a pair of some of the first off the presses!
Old 17th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapfreak View Post
Supposedly I'm in line for a pair of some of the first off the presses!

Two should be shipping to me on Monday!
Old 17th July 2011
Gear Nut

Please let us know your thoughts when you tried it!
Old 17th July 2011
Gear Addict

ive got mine on order. I'm paring it with my Shadow Hills Mono Gama. I'm really excited to hear the airband work its mojo.
Old 17th July 2011
Gear Nut

Even more interesting, got two Gamas waiting for some EQ friends. Would really like to know how they play together. This or the new Cartec...
Old 26th July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by autohorse View Post
Even more interesting, got two Gamas waiting for some EQ friends. Would really like to know how they play together. This or the new Cartec...
I just got my tracking number on it. When it arrives and I get some time to mess about with it, ill post some feedback
Old 26th July 2011
Lives for gear

Looks nice. What "flavor" do we have to hear? Neve, Api or SSL style or does it his own thing?
BTW funny name MAAG audio... MAAG in dutch means "stomach"
Old 28th July 2011
Lives for gear

Maag is the last name of the designer and the family that runs the business.

The EQ is definitely in the clean/neutral camp; I would describe it as a very musical utility equalizer if that makes any sense. In no way is that a slander, quite the contrary.
Obviously they are fixed frequency/Q so this won't be the best choice for surgical correction but they have enough EQ points you could certainly find a worse choice for surgical correction.
The Q is a little on the wide which makes it great for gentle tone shaping. It's also a lot of fun to boost the 40Hz while cutting the Sub to clean up the low end; it's like a cleaner "pultec trick". The boost is very subtle up to about the 3 mark but when you disengage the EQ you can definitely tell it was working and you miss what it was doing. Going past the 3 mark it becomes much more apparent that the EQ is engaged and offers more drastic tone shaping options. It's sort of like zooming in on the picture without as much pixelization as you would get with a lot of EQs.

My only real complaint is the frequency selection knob on the air band is a bit hard to turn. You will NEVER accidentally change the frequency; you will need to grasp it firmly to change the frequency. My guess is changing the knob head to a slotted style (a la Massive Passive) would make it a bit easier to change while not looking at it.

By the way, the finish is not matte as it looks in the pictures. It's slightly glossy which I think makes it look way better in person.

All in all it's a lot of EQ for the money, is unique in the 500 series, and will be keeping it so I can learn it inside and out.
Old 29th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapfreak View Post
Maag is the last name of the designer and the family that runs the business.

The EQ is definitely in the clean/neutral camp; I would describe it as a very musical utility equalizer if that makes any sense. In no way is that a slander, quite the contrary.
Obviously they are fixed frequency/Q so this won't be the best choice for surgical correction but they have enough EQ points you could certainly find a worse choice for surgical correction.
The Q is a little on the wide which makes it great for gentle tone shaping. It's also a lot of fun to boost the 40Hz while cutting the Sub to clean up the low end; it's like a cleaner "pultec trick". The boost is very subtle up to about the 3 mark but when you disengage the EQ you can definitely tell it was working and you miss what it was doing. Going past the 3 mark it becomes much more apparent that the EQ is engaged and offers more drastic tone shaping options. It's sort of like zooming in on the picture without as much pixelization as you would get with a lot of EQs.

My only real complaint is the frequency selection knob on the air band is a bit hard to turn. You will NEVER accidentally change the frequency; you will need to grasp it firmly to change the frequency. My guess is changing the knob head to a slotted style (a la Massive Passive) would make it a bit easier to change while not looking at it.

By the way, the finish is not matte as it looks in the pictures. It's slightly glossy which I think makes it look way better in person.

All in all it's a lot of EQ for the money, is unique in the 500 series, and will be keeping it so I can learn it inside and out.

Do you have any experience with the GR Harrison EQ32? Could you compare them?
Old 29th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digibear View Post
Do you have any experience with the GR Harrison EQ32? Could you compare them?

Yes, I do. My quick 2 cents is that they both fall in the cleaner but still very musical camp; you would be well served by either for a variety of tasks.

I would say the MA EQ4 is a bit more neutral sounding than the GR. Obviously the GR has HP/LP filters as well as selectable frequencies. The MA frequencies go lower and higher. They both have enough flexibility and good enough sound quality to be used for tracking, mixing and even on 2bus. The more neutral sound, air band, and detented pots make the MA a better choice over the GR for 2bus. The GR has HP/LP, selectable frequencies which make it a more flexible tool for tracking/mixing.
Old 29th July 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks! I love the EQ32 so much I now have 4. I thought I was in love with the Chandler Lil Devil EQ (which I still own and like) until I met the EQ 32. Maybe I should steer clear of the Maag
Old 30th July 2011
Lives for gear

If these things sound anything like the old Nightpro EQs did...which, as I understand it, they do...these will be great "broad stroke"-type EQs. The old Nightpro EQs had less phase shift than any analog EQ I've ever encountered before, with the possible exception of the GML stuff. Rapfreak is right on...it's the kind of EQ you might have to switch on and off once in a while just to be sure that it's working, since it's so free of the artifacts one usually associates with equalization.
Old 30th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! I love the EQ32 so much I now have 4. I thought I was in love with the Chandler Lil Devil EQ (which I still own and like) until I met the EQ 32. Maybe I should steer clear of the Maag

All three of those EQs fit different niches. With all things YMMV but the EQ4 fits something I haven't heard with any other 500 series EQ so it might just be worth a trial.
Old 30th July 2011
Lives for gear

Oh, I'm sure I'd like the Maag, just my wallet will not. Esp since I have to have everything in pairs
Old 30th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, I'm sure I'd like the Maag, just my wallet will not. Esp since I have to have everything in pairs
Agreed! If you buy one you'll most certainly want a second.
Old 17th August 2011
Gear Head

Hardware Maag Audio EQ4 - Newest VPR Alliance Member!

The Maag Audio EQ4 has been inducted into the VPR Alliance, along side its PREQ4 brother! Thanks VPR Alliance and the friendly folks at API.
Old 17th August 2011
Jai guru deva om

We have the Maag EQ4 posted in the Clipalator reference session page now, with full audio and video examples...!

War
Old 25th October 2011
Here for the gear

Wow...

Had a go with the Maag's at AES and... Wow! What i can honestly say is (beyond the, at the time not so noisy AES floor), you actually hear the MUSIC not the EQ! I think the Harrison 32's has a bit of sound (which i like) and is more flexible (i have never played with LP/HP filters for that long!). I don't mind having 4 of each!!!

Last edited by phunkydiablo; 26th October 2011 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 25th October 2011
500 series nutjob

a sweet pre for sure!
have one here, watch for a upcoming article.
MAAG get a big thumbs up for this beauty: )~

hehheh
Old 29th October 2011
Lives for gear

This is by far my favorite 500 series EQ for 2bus work. I've also used it for tracking with great success as well.
Old 4th July 2012
Lives for gear

I love my pair on the 2buss as well. Easy to use. Sounds great.
Old 4th January 2014
Here for the gear

I have the nite pro eq 3d its great i just wish it had those detents
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search