The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Control 2802
Old 31st March 2011
  #1
Here for the gear
 
🎧 15 years
Focusrite Control 2802

Focusrite Control 2802 - Small Format Console
Old 31st March 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Adlen's Avatar
I like it!
Old 31st March 2011 | Show parent
  #3
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
that looks like the audient console a little. sounds great for nice little compact setup. Ethernet thumbsup
Old 31st March 2011 | Show parent
  #4
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
It IS the Audient. They have teamed up to start selling it under the Focusrite name. From what I hear, this will not be the end of their partnership.
Old 31st March 2011 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
It's identical to the Audient console!
Old 31st March 2011 | Show parent
  #6
Administrator
 
Grahamdwc's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalasini View Post
It IS the Audient. They have teamed up to start selling it under the Focusrite name.....
Yeah its the exact same except badge and name.

From dv247: "The Focusrite Control 2802 is specced exactly the same as the Audient version............same model, new name and badge."

Graham
Old 31st March 2011 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Graal's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
WOW!
Old 31st March 2011 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
subspace's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I just installed the Audient version, the ASP2802. This is the third product to come out based on that design, the Audient Dual Layer Control Module for the ASP8024 is just the automated faders/control surface section of the same board. I was just comparing the Audient's pres against the ISAs and now Focusrite is selling both!
Old 31st March 2011 | Show parent
  #9
Gear Addict
 
99zulu's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Very cool. Wonder what street price will be.
Old 31st March 2011 | Show parent
  #10
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
this has also appeared on sound on sound news

News - Focusrite to produce Audient?s ASP2802

it would be interesting to get someone from Focusrite or audient on here about this move.
Old 31st March 2011 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99zulu View Post
Very cool. Wonder what street price will be.
The audient 2802 is $5300. I wonder if focusrite will lower it.
Old 1st April 2011 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
zephonic's Avatar
 
13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Focusrite have considerable experience with mass production so I'd bet that they'll be able to bring this to the market for less money.
Old 2nd April 2011 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
popmann's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Want one of these so bad...now they're building it...likely in China? Sheesh...c'mon. It'll have to a be a LOT less money.

You know--ONE design improvement this thing could have? 8 rotary encoders/strips--actually over the faders. I find that an oddity on an otherwise amazingly designed piece of kit.
Old 2nd April 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
projektk's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Glad to see this the mackie USB controller looks clean but this looks actually useful. Glad it's compact, I could never see me buying a c24 or icon or even a decent 24 channel ssl console or anything like that. Can't wait to see the price, I'll probably pick one up if priced good after I finish my amd bull dozer audio workstation. I just started building it since the new amd processor is expected to release in June and I get about 200 a check to go into it.
Old 11th April 2011 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
Focusrite have considerable experience with mass production so I'd bet that they'll be able to bring this to the market for less money.
Sadly, they haven't insinuated any price drop. I feel that the re-branding is only in place to meet an increased supply / demand this product has attracted. It really is a lovely looking device that I've been drooling over for the past week.

Although, I'm still in limbo with that price, especially if they're gonna start manufacturing in china. I feel like I could budget roughly $4000 and have a system that covers roughly all the same tasks including an interface (although through many separate devices). Whereas, to get the 2802 working in my control room I'd need to budget over $6500 and all for a bit more syndication.

All they'd have to do is price it at $4000 and my decision would be made...
Old 11th April 2011 | Show parent
  #16
Gear Addict
 
T.R.'s Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I'm really curious about their pricing too. This could be my first 'console' ever. And no matter what comes in mind, this thing covers it. Finally something for the smaller/medium studios around the world that closes the gap between sound and control (at least I hope that).

Any 2802- users in here that want to share their opinions with the Audient version of this thing? How's the Ethernet working out for you? And most important: what about the sound? Got clips?

All the best!
Old 12th April 2011 | Show parent
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Barish's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Their wording gives the impression like it is 32 channel summing mixer, which is not the case though.

It's a bloody 16 channel analogue summing mixer with its 8 line/DAW return and an extra 8 channel Summing inputs in 4 stereo pairs. Yes you can input 32 channels of signal into it, but you can only send 16 to the mix bus at one go. And it's not like two from this bunch of 8 and three from that bunch of 8 or anything. It's like, either this 8, or that 8... Plus FX returns, which don't amass to another 16 to complete it anywhere near 32 channels.

I don't like that kind of weasel salesman tricks. It's really off-putting and they don't need that.

B.
Old 12th April 2011 | Show parent
  #18
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
hi there!

i have the asp2802 installed for about 3 months now in my mixing studio and truly love it. i used to work on the 8024 for 2 years in another studio and soundwise it is absolutely in the same league. the monitor section is truly neutral and clean, had a cheap presonus monitor station to compare and there are really worlds between them, although it is not a fair comparison.
the preamps are clean with enough gain and i really like the direct out flexibility on the first 8 channels....just like on a big console.
and of course you have 24 channels for summing. you have dual inputs....like small fader, big fader on the first eight with a fader on the main inputs and a gain knob and pan on the second one. the 8 inputs of the summing amp are 4 stereo inputs with unity gain. so if you add the aux to those 24 inputs you get of course 28 channels in mixdown.
the bus compressor is ok too, and the fact that you have a dry wet pot and that the in and outputs of the comp are on the rear panel you can use it for other purposes too not just on the 2 bus. the daw control section just works fine (im using logic) and i had no problems to hook it up with my system. maybe it would have been a little better if they would have done the displays above the faders....but you really get used to it.

so, all in all a pretty complete solution for me. if you like to work in the box but want to add additional outboard and want to have a control surface and fader automation for the analog path i think it is really a bargain.
Old 12th April 2011 | Show parent
  #19
Gear Addict
 
T.R.'s Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_stickle View Post
hi there!

i have the asp2802 installed for about 3 months now in my mixing studio and truly love it. i used to work on the 8024 for 2 years in another studio and soundwise it is absolutely in the same league. the monitor section is truly neutral and clean, had a cheap presonus monitor station to compare and there are really worlds between them, although it is not a fair comparison.
the preamps are clean with enough gain and i really like the direct out flexibility on the first 8 channels....just like on a big console.
and of course you have 24 channels for summing. you have dual inputs....like small fader, big fader on the first eight with a fader on the main inputs and a gain knob and pan on the second one. the 8 inputs of the summing amp are 4 stereo inputs with unity gain. so if you add the aux to those 24 inputs you get of course 28 channels in mixdown.
the bus compressor is ok too, and the fact that you have a dry wet pot and that the in and outputs of the comp are on the rear panel you can use it for other purposes too not just on the 2 bus. the daw control section just works fine (im using logic) and i had no problems to hook it up with my system. maybe it would have been a little better if they would have done the displays above the faders....but you really get used to it.

so, all in all a pretty complete solution for me. if you like to work in the box but want to add additional outboard and want to have a control surface and fader automation for the analog path i think it is really a bargain.
This sounds pretty cool, I will definitely try it out. Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences with the board!

All the best!
Old 12th April 2011 | Show parent
  #20
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Hardware

All Focusrite need to do now is put their logo on the Zen
and price it more reasonably!!
Old 12th April 2011 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
subspace's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barish View Post
Their wording gives the impression like it is 32 channel summing mixer, which is not the case though.

It's a bloody 16 channel analogue summing mixer with its 8 line/DAW return and an extra 8 channel Summing inputs in 4 stereo pairs. Yes you can input 32 channels of signal into it, but you can only send 16 to the mix bus at one go. And it's not like two from this bunch of 8 and three from that bunch of 8 or anything. It's like, either this 8, or that 8... Plus FX returns, which don't amass to another 16 to complete it anywhere near 32 channels.

I don't like that kind of weasel salesman tricks. It's really off-putting and they don't need that.

B.
I'm mixing on the current 2802 and it doesn't suffer from this limitation, perhaps take a second look at the routing options.
The 8 channel inputs have L-R mix assign switches.
The 8 DAW inputs can be assigned to the cue bus, which in turn can be assigned to the L-R mix.
The 4 stereo sum inputs can be assigned to the L-R mix or cue mix in mono or stereo.
The 2 stereo fx returns can be assigned to the L-R mix or cue mix in mono or stereo.
The stereo DAW mix input can be assigned to the L-R mix.
The L-R mix insert return can be summed with the insert send.
That's 16 mono inputs with level and pan plus 8 stereo inputs that can be routed to main L-R mix simultaneously.
Old 12th April 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Kris Bang Boom's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I like the sizie and routing for mixing but maybe lose the pre's and give at least 4 bus and this would be great for mixing and monitoring for tracking
I just don't need the pre's but all the other stuff looks great>
KBB
hopefully Focusrite might listen to that
Old 12th April 2011 | Show parent
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Especially the...sizie!
Old 12th April 2011 | Show parent
  #24
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Learn to read the headroom specs.
Old 13th April 2011 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Barish's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by subspace View Post
I'm mixing on the current 2802 and it doesn't suffer from this limitation, perhaps take a second look at the routing options.
The 8 channel inputs have L-R mix assign switches.
The 8 DAW inputs can be assigned to the cue bus, which in turn can be assigned to the L-R mix.
The 4 stereo sum inputs can be assigned to the L-R mix or cue mix in mono or stereo.
The 2 stereo fx returns can be assigned to the L-R mix or cue mix in mono or stereo.
The stereo DAW mix input can be assigned to the L-R mix.
The L-R mix insert return can be summed with the insert send.
That's 16 mono inputs with level and pan plus 8 stereo inputs that can be routed to main L-R mix simultaneously.
Although it still can't add up to the 32 channels they give the impression of in the text, it's good to know that it can go up to 28 at the expense of the aux busses.

Any idea if it is possible to write automation to the motorized faders in an analogue mixdown scenario? (Perhaps onto a number of blank MIDI tracks or something.)

Thanks.

B.
Old 13th April 2011 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
subspace's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barish View Post
Although it still can't add up to the 32 channels they give the impression of in the text, it's good to know that it can go up to 28 at the expense of the aux busses.

Any idea if it is possible to write automation to the motorized faders in an analogue mixdown scenario? (Perhaps onto a number of blank MIDI tracks or something.)

Thanks.

B.
Yes.



I was just playing around with using the cue bus as a drum subgroup and found I can route 24 inputs to the cue bus, patch that into the bus compressor and then return it to the mix insert return in sum mode to combine with the 8 main channels. 32 inputs does seem to be the ceiling for mix bus assignment.
Old 13th April 2011 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Nicely done...

How does it sound?
Old 19th April 2011
  #28
Here for the gear
 
🎧 10 years
Focusrite Control 2802 + which converter?

If you're either using the Audient version of this console or the new Focusrite model, which converter are you using?

I don't need 24+ channels of conversion and would love to have a 2802 at some point. Are there any converters that run 8, 12, 16 channels max that anyone would recommend?
Old 20th April 2011 | Show parent
  #29
Gear Addict
 
Markus Stock's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Nicely done...

How does it sound?
Been using the Audient 2802 since December and it sounds top notch! Incredible quiet but still adds width and analoge qualities to your mixes (also the automation on it rules!). The preamps are really, really good (wouldn't mind using only them) and the Bus Compressor lives on my Drum Bus in Parallell. The routing options of this console are suprisingly versatile and you will see that they put alot of thoughts into small details which made me happy. The monitor section is everything you will ever want. I am totally since I got it and it's totally inspiring working with it.
Old 19th June 2011 | Show parent
  #30
Gear Nut
 
TrackLab's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
soundcard - ad/da converter

i checked the manual for this mixer and it says it needs a soundcard/ad-da converter.. pg 52-53 setup in manual

forgive my 'newbie'ness' in understanding some things, but does this mean you need a soundcard and an additional ad-da converter, or just a ad-da converter alone?

i have worked itb but have no experience with OTB and am interested to get started with a hybrid setup but cannot understand how things fit together..?

can someone explain it to me a little pls? [sorry guys if this is basics - i do want to have a understanding]

thanksheh
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 55 views: 23403
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 91 views: 26736
Avatar for subspace
subspace 23rd July 2011
replies: 52 views: 39426
Avatar for roc
roc 13th April 2011
replies: 1296 views: 164452
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump