The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Classic Audio Products, VC528 ST2+
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear Addict

Classic Audio Products, VC528 ST2+

The Eagles have landed.

I spent a few hours today with a pair of VC528's(THANK's JEFF)on various channels of my kit, in an attempt to get an over all consensus of them, for my particular needs & applications, and I can positively say that, I'll be getting more of them, as they allow me to really drive my pre amps to their truest colors.

The VC528 has that, "API" color thing(for lack of better description on my part)as well as, adding a thickness to things, in a very desirable way. my 512's and PACIFICA have never sounded better!!! The build is top notch, and the switches are amazingly assuring. LOVE the mute switch too

Although, not what I need them for, I could see how one would want to run mixes through them, or even busses. the filters are a powerful feature when used in conjunction with an additional EQ for tracking. Regardless of whatever pre I used, the VC528 gave me MORE of that pre's sound, in a very robust, and satisfying way.

My particular units have the SL Red Dot's in them but, I'd be interested in trying out the GAR's for different applications. am excited to see what's next from Classic Audio Products, as the VC528... is a grand slam home run, for me. ~klauth.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Audio Products, VC528 ST2+-vc525-1.jpg  
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

this forum needs a "like" feature for threads.
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

consider me violently excited
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

subscribed!
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear Guru

My eagles are somewhere in flight, or maybe that's in the back of some damn UPS truck - on route to CA..... :-)

They look awesome. Hope they sound half as good, but I know they will. hehheh
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
this forum needs a "like" feature for threads.
... or maybe a New Product Alert (Hardware) forum where things like this could be posted... oh wait...
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Technically this isn't even an available product yet.

I'm looking forward to hearing about it when it's something I can purchase but at the moment my hands are over my ears and LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear nut

So...can someone explain to my dumbass the different workflow scenarios that this bad boy can be used for?

I mean, is this basically a console channel without the pre and pan and with a simple LPF & HPF implementation? If so, you just grab these and some VP25/26/312's and some type of folcrom/summing box with pans and you've got a modular console?
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Old 2nd March 2011
Gear Guru

I'd like to actually USE them before commenting on what they could be used for, but what you suggest in not how I will use them. I've already got a console here already.

What I'm hoping for is a "more analog still" footprint - the difference between patching straight out of a pre (two transformers and maybe one Discrete Op Amp) after a mic and what you hear from a console - MULTIPLE Discrete (hopefully) op amps and transformers. The vp26 is a wonderfully warm pre, but comments from Jeff lead me to believe that putting a 528 in line after one of his pre's will take it to the next level in terms of sounding more like what a pre sounds like IN a vintage console. (Different than how it sounds in a 500 rack)

THAT is what I'm looking for. Putting the 528 in line after a vp26/25//312 will give you 4 great transformers and 3 Discrete Op amp configs.. That plus I'm really excited about the filters.

Mmmmmm......

Is it friday yet?
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear nut

Thanks, drBill. That was my initial vision for using it since I want the signal to hit as much analog action going to the converters, and of course the simple HPF & LPF would be perfect for tracking.

And, msquared, the answer made sense until Jeff said:

"Something like this could for sure be done. If it were me, I would stick with the vintage style ACA -> pgm fader -> 325 style booster though.

On another note, while the above could pretty easily be done even with panning, subgroups and so on...that will be overlapping with my next project. The next will be more console type features with the same basic audio path as the VC528. It will also be hopefully a little less $$ overall. I suppose it really depends on what one wants now and where one wants to end up."

I'm trying to envision what would be required to build a modular mixer a few channels at a time with the various kits and what you said at first made sense for the most part, but then I got lost. Guess I'll wait until Jeff explains the overlap with his new project. But I don't think I can go wrong with more channels of the VP26s and a couple of VC528s to start...
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

My takeaway from that answer was "that way would indeed work, but I just happen to have a better way coming up".

thumbsup
Old 2nd March 2011
Lives for gear

love it!
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

It's got to be a fairly hefty boy with those double transformers.

So, is there a unity point on the fader? And you can add or subtract gain post pre, post filter?
Or you can build a console and use as faders for line levels--is this the idea?
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
consider me violently excited
I lol'ed heh
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Can't wait for a pair! Jeff has so much cool stuff coming !
Old 3rd March 2011
Lives for gear

Please sold the 528 now¡¡¡¡¡....and the out of stock VP-26
Old 4th March 2011
Gear Nut

Jeff is a mix of mad genius and great guy.

Everything he has is top notch. Can't wait to get a few for myself!

Mike
Old 8th March 2011
Gear Maniac

I've been looking for something like this! I've wanted a hardware, multi-channel, HP LP filter set that I could bring out to my patchbay for all kinds of uses. The trannys and gain are a (huge) bonus.

Michael
Old 8th March 2011
Lives for gear

You're stealing thunder from my VP26 thread!!!

tutt
Old 8th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote: You're stealing thunder from my VP26 thread!!!

The VC528 ST2+ IS a different product, is it not?

Last edited by Michael Loomis; 8th March 2011 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: to insert quote to which I was responding
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loomis View Post
Quote: You're stealing thunder from my VP26 thread!!!

The VC528 ST2+ IS a different product, is it not?
GS has become a black hole for humour.
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post

LOL.
Old 9th March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_allison View Post
Now that is funny!

Evidently the humor in your other statement was a little too subtle for me. Hey, it happens sometimes. I'll lighten up now...
heh
Old 9th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loomis View Post
Now that is funny!

Evidently the humor in your other statement was a little too subtle for me. Hey, it happens sometimes. I'll lighten up now...
heh
Yeah man just grab a tall, cool glass of iced and relax!

Old 10th March 2011
Gear Addict

The VC528 ST2+... is like, "audio bacon", just adding it to anything... makes it, "better"
Old 10th March 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauth View Post
The VC528 ST2+... is like, "audio bacon", just adding it to anything... makes it, "better"
Amazing analogy.
Old 10th March 2011
Lives for gear
Looks nice..!..So..how much for these "lil Fockers..!..heh
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauth View Post
That is a killer slogan Klauth. I may have to adopt it! heh I do love bacon.

Quote:
Looks nice..!..So..how much for these "lil Fockers..!..
These numbers are pre-lim but should be pretty close. A full blown 2 stage kit will be in the low $300's. A fully assembled/tested 2 stage module will be in the low $600's. Both of those prices do not include opamps. Since we have so many possible combinations, the opamps will be al-a-carte like with my preamps.

Hmm...Lil Filter Fockers...thumbsup
Old 11th March 2011
Lives for gear

So long overdue. Good, inexpensive 500 series filters. SO LONG OVERDUE.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search