The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
GarageBand for iPad Live Coverage-Steve "Anyone can make music now"
Old 3rd March 2011
  #31
Administrator
 
Grahamdwc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aa63 View Post
I think you are mistaken.
As i posted earlier (post 24) this is what it says on Music Radar.........


1. GarageBand will work on all iPads

The initial rumour was that GarageBand is an iPad 2 exclusive, but it now seems that it'll run on the original model too. However, we're guessing that this will be a pretty processor-intensive app (the desktop version is surprisingly CPU-hungry), so if you want to get the most out of it, you'll need an iPad 2. Which means…

2. The old iPad isn't much of a bargain

If you've been on the Apple Store in the last few hours you'll have noticed that the prices of the original have dropped considerably. So is now a good time to buy one? We'd say no: Apple is claiming that the iPad 2 is twice as fast as its predecessor, and you'll need that power if you want to run GarageBand (and, in all likelihood, many forthcoming iPad apps) effectively............



Graham
Old 3rd March 2011
  #32
Gear Nut
Cool app!
Great that Apple features iPad music making so prominently!
Old 4th March 2011
  #33
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
As i posted earlier (post 24) this is what it says on Music Radar.........

1. GarageBand will work on all iPads

The initial rumour was that GarageBand is an iPad 2 exclusive, but it now seems that it'll run on the original model too.

Graham
Seems being the operative word. Initially they had the device compatibility chart on the Apple site (like on the iMovie app page) that said iPad 2. They've since removed it, but there is currently no official word.

They will probably attempt a scaled down version of some sort, but the app is indeed processor intensive and is tuned for the dual core.

We'll see I guess.
Old 4th March 2011
  #34
Administrator
 
Grahamdwc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aa63 View Post
...They will probably attempt a scaled down version of some sort, but the app is indeed processor intensive and is tuned for the dual core.
My guess would be the same, that it could be a cut down version for the original ipad.

Graham
Old 4th March 2011
  #35
Gear Maniac
 

11:00AM "We will include a vintage, well maintained, all-original Neumann U47 for the first 1000 Apple Store downloaders.

Surely that's not true
Old 4th March 2011
  #36
Lives for gear
 
rectifier's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sptz View Post
11:00AM "We will include a vintage, well maintained, all-original Neumann U47 for the first 1000 Apple Store downloaders.

Surely that's not true
It isn't and please, please start calling me Shirley.
Old 5th March 2011
  #37
Boy, there are some tragically gullible people on Gearslutz.
Old 5th March 2011
  #38
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Now that ipad2 has twice the CPU power surely it's only a matter of time before we see Propellerhead Reason on iPad.
Old 6th March 2011
  #39
Lives for gear
 

but why only 8 tracks?
Old 6th March 2011
  #40
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayskura View Post
but why only 8 tracks?
My guess is, that limitation is an artificial one, to make for an easier GUI (no vertical scrolling needed), and also because Steve Jobs doesn't want "CPU overload" or "Error while trying to sync Audio and MIDI" alerts on an iPad 2.

I would be surprised if the limit isn't raised with future, more powerful versions of the iPad.
Old 6th March 2011
  #41
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-uk View Post
Its a glorified dictaphone
Aren't all DAWs just that? :-D
At $5, It's more powerful than my first Pro Tools system were!

Old 6th March 2011
  #42
Gear Addict
 
topperf's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Now that ipad2 has twice the CPU power surely it's only a matter of time before we see Propellerhead Reason on iPad.
- Looking forward to that!
Old 6th March 2011
  #43
Wish the Apogee Jam came with a mic pre or built in mic like the One.
Old 10th March 2011
  #44
Lives for gear
 
relaxo's Avatar
Great new Apple-made GarageBand vid.

Apple - iPad - Guided Tours
Old 10th March 2011
  #45
Gear Nut
 

Yeah, here's a direct link. Looks like it does work with 1st gen ipads too.

Apple - iPad - From the App Store - Play and record music with GarageBand.
Old 10th March 2011
  #46
Lives for gear
 
Phil Aiken's Avatar
 

Available now. Loading on my iPad1 as we speak.....


----------

Edited: After playing with it for 10 minutes:

1. It seems to run just fine on the original iPad. Have not taxed it with audio tracks yet.
2. Totally fun sketch pad. I am very sure I will write a few songs while killing time in the car.
3. Not thinking of it as a DAW - just as a really super fun video game.
4. Since it has what appear to be a passable software organ, and a useable in a pinch piano sound - I could use this with a controller for the occasional rehearsal (I'm a keyboard player) or as emergency back up if my Receptor goes down on a small gig where I am using that exclusively. (I usually make sure I have at least a Nord Electro in my car if that is the case.)
Old 10th March 2011
  #47
Lives for gear
Just got it for my iPad 1 as well. Seems to run great. I can't believe how many instruments and amps are included in this... I just started messing with Amplitube for iPad, but this blows it away in terms of price and variety. Excited to mess with it more.
Old 11th March 2011
  #48
Lives for gear
 
autodidactic's Avatar
 

I can't believe gearslutz are going gaga for 8 track Garageband. I mean seriously folks. Consumers are already starting to choose tablets over laptops. This will lead to laptops and desktops only being used in pro environments meaning their prices will skyrocket.
Old 11th March 2011
  #49
Lives for gear
 
musicl's Avatar
 

this is the most fun you could ever have sitting on a toilet outside the control room. Jesus, my poo's are taking forever because of this thing. The fact you can take it over to the MAC after and finish in logic is astounding (presumably opening GB projects in logic..)

+1 bonus point for it having a much better arpeggiator than flagship logic
+2 for the ease of use with the sampler! It's so much fun for knocking ideas together.
Old 11th March 2011
  #50
Lives for gear
 
musicl's Avatar
 

...and minus 3 points for no MIDI Editing/piano roll & Audio cut/copy/paste. Can't adjust or create drums in depth far as I can see :(

Come on Apple. Sort it out..(.I say for a portable app!)
Old 11th March 2011
  #51
Lives for gear
 
dougb415's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Aiken View Post
4. Since it has what appear to be a passable software organ, and a useable in a pinch piano sound - I could use this with a controller for the occasional rehearsal (I'm a keyboard player) or as emergency back up if my Receptor goes down on a small gig where I am using that exclusively.
I am really impressed with their B-3 / Leslie combo on an iPad! The whirling top rotor in the Leslie cab is a hoot
Old 11th March 2011
  #52
Lives for gear
 
Phil Aiken's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicl View Post
...and minus 3 points for no MIDI Editing/piano roll & Audio cut/copy/paste. Can't adjust or create drums in depth far as I can see :(

Come on Apple. Sort it out..(.I say for a portable app!)
Yes, the biggest downer. Plus no step entry.
Actually maybe the biggest downer is no audio import. Would be nice to take a reference mix around for remote overdubs, or to audition vocal ideas or what have you.

I bet some of this stuff will show up in a future update.

Still, like I said in another post.....I am viewing it as a really fun video game, and a sketch pad, and on that level, it succeeds as is.
Old 11th March 2011
  #53
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicl View Post
...and minus 3 points for no MIDI Editing/piano roll & Audio cut/copy/paste. Can't adjust or create drums in depth far as I can see :(

Come on Apple. Sort it out..(.I say for a portable app!)
Ya, really disappointed there is no midi editing window for a program that has so many midi instruments. Figure that out and this app is gonna be pretty awesome for writing.
Old 11th March 2011
  #54
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jval View Post
Just got it for my iPad 1 as well. Seems to run great. I can't believe how many instruments and amps are included in this... I just started messing with Amplitube for iPad, but this blows it away in terms of price and variety. Excited to mess with it more.
+1. Amplitube could have been great. They were on the right track with the mixing console but having to import drum tracks was tedious. At one point I would have paid IK's rediculous add on app price to have a drum machine but now with Garageband (for half the price) I won't have to.
Old 13th March 2011
  #55
Gear Maniac
 
orcasound's Avatar
 

I picked up an ipad v1 in Dec - to use strictly as a secondary monitor for my macbook pro (via the AirDisplay app) - for some remote tracking of clients I had to do in St Louis. -/ Moving from the control room dual monitor setup to a 15 macbook pro - kinda sucks - and when I saw that once the pad is your second monitor - you can actually control faders, eqs, plugs - etc via touch....wow... its kinda surreal... I actually ran logic on the MBP and the LS56 software from the ipad screen.... very convenient. the ipad seems to be integrating itself in my work flow - patchbay - flow charts, and diagrams... session notes... etc - its kind of sitting right next to me in the control room most of the time.

Anyway - I picked up the garage band app last night -just to mess around with - and all I can say is - Its a great time to be alive - Technology is moving friends - very fast. I think back to my days of my Mac SE... performer, vision,.... and look at where we are now.

Granted - no piano roll, etc etc. / but what? .. c'mon... its $4.99. I think its pretty amazing - let alone for 5 bucks !!
... will i switch my studio over to it within the year... probably not. Will I use it as my main mobile rig... no the MBP, Logic9 and my LS56 work just fine for that... but I think I'll load it on my kids ipads so they can work with... What an excellent way to get them interested in what the ol' man does for a living - and I'll sure I'll spend my spare time toying around with it.....I have to admit its pretty darn cool.

great job apple... I'm sure you'll be adding updates to this app very soon.
(now please take an i-break and focus on you know... getting that Logic10 thing going.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 98 views: 40986
Avatar for nst7
nst7 14th February 2014
replies: 54 views: 3042
Avatar for matt82aust
matt82aust 30th September 2007
replies: 2674 views: 661446
Avatar for psycho_monkey
psycho_monkey 12th April 2013
replies: 2704 views: 394369
Avatar for Diogo C
Diogo C 30th October 2015
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump