The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ValhallaRoom
Old 25th February 2011
ValhallaDSP

ValhallaRoom

I am happy to announce that the next plugin in the ValhallaDSP lineup, ValhallaRoom, is available for Windows and OSX:

A quick summary of the features:
  • ValhallaRoom features ten original true stereo reverberation algorithms, designed to produce tight and subtle room sounds, large hall sounds and huge ambiences, as well as dark & grungy vintage digital reverb sounds with the Dark reverb modes (Dark Room, Dark Chamber, Dark Space, Nostromo, Narcissus, Sulaco).
  • Unique Early reverb section allows user to dial in subtle and short bursts of early reverberation energy, as well as gated reverbs up to 1 second in length.
  • The Late section produces natural reverb decays ranging from 0.1 seconds to 100 seconds. The decay can be controlled in 3 adjustable frequency bands.
  • Both Early and Late reverb sections have adjustable modulation, to produce sounds ranging from lush chorusing, to subtle and natural long decays.
  • Minimalist, resizable GUI.
The goal of ValhallaRoom is to be a useful “workhorse” reverb, for subtle drum rooms that can be felt more than heard, lush halls, dense plates, and big ambient decays. The algorithm designs have been influenced by some of the “classic” room simulation boxes, as well as state of the art modern theory.

ValhallaRoom is currently available to demo/purchase for OSX (AU / AU64 bit / VST / RTAS) and Windows (VST32/VST64/RTAS). Price is $50 US.

Last edited by seancostello; 12th November 2011 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: V1.0.9 released. New Dark reverb mode: Sulaco
Old 25th February 2011
Gear Head

Nice!
Old 25th February 2011
Gear Addict

Gr8!
Can we have high-pass filter in there as well?
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

Would it be possible for you to create BPM based pre-delays and tails? I mean can it have two modes; one standard/normal and one BPM based?
Old 25th February 2011
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go View Post
Gr8!
Can we have high-pass filter in there as well?
The parameters are frozen at this point. I had a full fledged EQ section in there at one point, and it just didn't sound that good. I figure that every DAW has some useful EQs in there, and that they probably do a better job with them than I do. heh
Old 25th February 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
The parameters are frozen at this point. I had a full fledged EQ section in there at one point, and it just didn't sound that good. I figure that every DAW has some useful EQs in there, and that they probably do a better job with them than I do. heh
Well, fair point, but I often use reverbs on inserts, and having high-pass in the wet path helps a lot.
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

Looks cool.
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds cool, too.

If it only had a drum machine built-in.

Oh, well.
Old 25th February 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyoteous View Post
Sounds cool, too.

If it only had a drum machine built-in.

Oh, well.
heh You would really expect that from Sean wouldnt you
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

Sick. Killer GUI too.
Old 25th February 2011
Excited!

- Hugo
Old 25th February 2011
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Sick. Killer GUI too.
Thanks! My lovely and talented wife helped out a LOT with the GUI (color scheme, mockups of GUI elements). She doesn't want credit, but there you go.
Old 25th February 2011
Gear Addict

Its 'true stereo' from the sound of it too right? seems like a huge selling point
Old 25th February 2011
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidebomber View Post
Its 'true stereo' from the sound of it too right? seems like a huge selling point
But of course! The early and late reverb sections are both stereo in, stereo out. I just adjusted the first post to incorporate this. A bit more on this:

- The Early reverb has a "cross" control, that controls how much of each channel is fed into the other channel. This also can increase the echo density of the early energy. I call it "early energy" because the reflection density can go up into the thousands, instead of the handful of discrete reflections more commonly found in algorithmic reverbs.
- The Late reverb has a stereo spread that depends on the algorithm chosen. All of the algorithms have different echo responses to left and right inputs, so they are all "true stereo" - the difference is in how quickly the energy fills the stereo image.
- The Early energy can feed the Late reverb, with the amount of feed smoothly adjustable (as helpfully suggested by beta tester Coyoteous). The stereo imaging of the Early energy will then affect the late reverb.
Old 25th February 2011
Congratulations Sean! Man your going to sell a ton at that price especially with the quality you deliver. Can't wait to try it.
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

Nice!

Looking forward to the release

Cheers
Old 25th February 2011
Gear Nut

Great loooking GUI/Color scheme kudo's to your wife. Very OSU Buckeyes.
If this is as good as ValhallaShimmer it will be a steal.
Beat Michigan!
Old 25th February 2011
That GUI is pure Zen bliss. Can't wait to buy it on the spot, without even demoing it.
Old 25th February 2011
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromOhio View Post
Very OSU Buckeyes.

Beat Michigan!
heh

All West Coast colleges here, but that is still awesome.
Old 25th February 2011
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanders View Post
That GUI is pure Zen bliss.
Thank you!

The goal with the GUI was to create a hierarchy for the user, such that the most important parameters were easily accessible, while the lower level "tweak" parameters (in Early and Late) can be accessed with a button click.

The guiding principle for my GUIs is "form follows function." With ValhallaRoom, I spent a lot of time thinking about the User Experience (UX) of the plugin, in addition to the graphic concepts.

The look was influenced by the Swiss School of graphic design, Constructivism, the International Typographic movement, and a bunch of other terms I can quote from my intro-level graphic design textbook. heh I love the works of Josef Mueller-Brockmann, and wanted to design something similar that was also interactive. The 2D, minimalist look is something that I love.
Old 25th February 2011
Lovely GUI and I'm sure it will sound lovely as well!
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

Smile

great one
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Sean,

Will ValhallaRoom work with my set up?

PowerMac G5 DualCore 2.3 (PPC) with 8GB of RAM, Tiger 10.4.11, Digidesign Digi 002 (Console), Pro Tools LE 7.4cs10, Logic Pro 7.2.3

Thanks,
~Iz
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

I've been scavenging for a decent workhorse reverb and I'm glad I held off buying one. I'm sure this will be it!
Old 26th February 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

I love you guys
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingocounty View Post
I've been scavenging for a decent workhorse reverb and I'm glad I held off buying one. I'm sure this will be it!
I'm the proud father of a very similar sentiment! I'm going to call her Valerie
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you!

The goal with the GUI was to create a hierarchy for the user, such that the most important parameters were easily accessible, while the lower level "tweak" parameters (in Early and Late) can be accessed with a button click.

The guiding principle for my GUIs is "Form Follows Function." With ValhallaRoom, I spent a lot of time thinking about the User Experience (UX) of the plugin, in addition to the graphic concepts.

The look was influenced by the Swiss School of graphic design, Constructivism, the International Typographic movement, and a bunch of other terms I can quote from my intro-level graphic design textbook. heh I love the works of Josef Mueller-Brockmann, and wanted to design something similar that was also interactive. The 2D, minimalist look is something that I love.
Yeah, I love your use of Futura as a font. It looks really great.

Question: you said it will be available "in the next few weeks." Is that like 4 weeks, or 2 weeks, or 6 weeks? Any idea? I'm trying to do a song right now that I would love to try this on...

Thanks so much, Sean. This is going to be super-duper cool.
Old 26th February 2011
I blew a couple of minds today with the new Room. Some of the algorithms with really (more than 10sec) long decays when put on vocals are gasp-inducing.

I'm tracking drums tomorrow that I promise won't be as roomy in their dry state as the example I posted in the previous thread; I'll put up some new examples and maybe some vocal stuff, too!

Really amazing stuff, Sean.
Old 26th February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go View Post
Well, fair point, but I often use reverbs on inserts, and having high-pass in the wet path helps a lot.
+1.
I also usually use reverbs on inserts, so high-pass in the wet path is essential for this workflow.
Old 26th February 2011
Quote:
Thank you!

The guiding principle for my GUIs is "Form Follows Function." With ValhallaRoom, I spent a lot of time thinking about the User Experience (UX) of the plugin, in addition to the graphic concepts.

Well all your plugs look like Valhalla plugs that's for sure! They all have a minimilist look that is very east to navigate.
📝 Reply