The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ValhallaRoom
Old 27th March 2014 | Show parent
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
+1

A lot of expectations - but what can we expect time-wise - I wonder what the latest news is on this - Sean??

::
Mads
I'll update the AAX Updates page next week with revised timelines.
Old 27th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
I'll update the AAX Updates page next week with revised timelines.
That doesn't sound good...
Old 28th March 2014 | Show parent
Hope this is the right place to post... (gearslutz newbie )

Looking for a nice Reverb for classical guitar.

The Large Chamber Algo seems nice for that, cause it has a subtle, less detuned modulation.
After some testing I found, that I like to mix this with another ValhallaReverb - using the medium room, for a dark, modulated, slow attack reverb that mixes well with the other reverb.

So I ended up with using 3 Valhalla Reverbs... they mix well, without artefacts.
1. for the ER
<ValhallaRoom pluginVersion="1.1.0" presetName="Dark Room Test_01" mix="1" predelay="0.0439999998" decay="0.0219219215" HighCut="0.681879222" earlyLateMix="0" lateSize="1" lateCross="0.639999986" lateModRate="0.212121218" lateModDepth="0" RTBassMultiply="0.400000006" RTXover="0.0252525248" RTHighMultiply="1" RTHighXover="0.28053692" earlySize="0.15115115" earlyCross="0.699999988" earlyModRate="0.0909090936" earlyModDepth="0" earlySend="1" diffusion="0.649999976" type="0.333333343"/>

2. the mid Reverb (large chamber with little modulation)
<ValhallaRoom pluginVersion="1.1.0" presetName="Dark Room Test_01" mix="1" predelay="0.0975999981" decay="0.0209209211" HighCut="0.787919462" earlyLateMix="1" lateSize="1" lateCross="0.639999986" lateModRate="0.212121218" lateModDepth="0.100000001" RTBassMultiply="0.333333343" RTXover="0.0252525248" RTHighMultiply="0.444444448" RTHighXover="0.227516785" earlySize="0.101901904" earlyCross="0.800000012" earlyModRate="0.0909090936" earlyModDepth="0" earlySend="1" diffusion="1" type="0.333333343"/>

3. the slow, modulated reverb - about 3dB under the mid reverb
<ValhallaRoom pluginVersion="1.1.0" presetName="Dark Room Test_01" mix="1" predelay="0.0421999991" decay="0.0265265256" HighCut="0.612751663" earlyLateMix="1" lateSize="1" lateCross="0.639999986" lateModRate="0.191919193" lateModDepth="0.300000012" RTBassMultiply="0.400000006" RTXover="0.0252525248" RTHighMultiply="0.444444448" RTHighXover="0.227516785" earlySize="0.117017016" earlyCross="0.699999988" earlyModRate="0.0909090936" earlyModDepth="0" earlySend="1" diffusion="1" type="0.166666672"/>

I have to say, that Im using an EQ before each reverb with some smooth highcut. IMO the High cut filter in the VRoom is a bit to steep sometimes.

Any favorite preset for classical guitar that you would like to share?
Any suggestions?
Lives for gear
Is there a timeline when the rest of us might enjoy the new algo "Dense Room"?
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic View Post
Is there a timeline when the rest of us might enjoy the new algo "Dense Room"?
I've updated the AAX porting schedule. Windows ports are currently expected to appear by end of April 2014.
Lives for gear
Quote:
I've updated the AAX porting schedule. Windows ports are currently expected to appear by end of April 2014.
That was quick! thanks. I guess I need to be patient......
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
I'm doing the porting work on OSX, then moving over to Windows when all the ports are up and running. I've ported 4 of the 5 Valhalla plugins to OSX AAX so far (ValhallaRoom, VintageVerb, Shimmer, FreqEcho), and hope to have ÜberMod running as an OSX AAX beta early next week.

My hope is that Windows will have less obstacles than OSX. I do my plugin design and initial framework development on OSX, then port to Windows, as Windows ports are usually pretty quick to get up and running. The AAX ports involve updating the Juce framework that I have been using, and the AAX code signing will be different on Windows than OSX, so there is a bit of a learning curve.
Lives for gear
Quote:
I'm doing the porting work on OSX, then moving over to Windows when all the ports are up and running. I've ported 4 of the 5 Valhalla plugins to OSX AAX so far (ValhallaRoom, VintageVerb, Shimmer, FreqEcho), and hope to have ÜberMod running as an OSX AAX beta early next week.

My hope is that Windows will have less obstacles than OSX. I do my plugin design and initial framework development on OSX, then port to Windows, as Windows ports are usually pretty quick to get up and running. The AAX ports involve updating the Juce framework that I have been using, and the AAX code signing will be different on Windows than OSX, so there is a bit of a learning curve.
As said to you many times, I am always open and available to help test for you. I have 3 different Windows systems and am not looking for free stuff. Great plugins, I have all of them (including Shimmer, which is one of my all-time favorite "Eno-maker" plugins!
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
As said to you many times, I am always open and available to help test for you. I have 3 different Windows systems and am not looking for free stuff. Great plugins, I have all of them (including Shimmer, which is one of my all-time favorite "Eno-maker" plugins!
The AAX betas will be open to all owners of the plugins. I check my records to match customers up to AAX requests before sending out the links. In a few months, I hope for this to be part of the automation process, but that's a different project.

I will welcome your testing when the plugins are ready for testing! I'm hoping that things will "just work" on Windows! Realistically, I will probably run into a few issues, that all the plugins will have in common on a given platform, so I can address those quickly. The Windows installer builds are much faster than OSX. Heck, everything is easier on Windows from a development perspective, which is why I save Windows for later in the dev process.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Heck, everything is easier on Windows from a development perspective, which is why I save Windows for later in the dev process.
Funny....And you work on OSX because.....?
Lives for gear

Ready to test on windows too - but I reckon a public beta is the way to go.

About developing on OSX - I wonder too. Maybe it's hard to do the porting from Windows to OSX - that would be a reason, at least

::
Mads
Quote:
Lol I know how you feel, but then I realized that I love Vroom and VVV JUST AS THEY ARE!! They perform for me everyday without making me think " man, I wish there were 10 more algos so I could waste more time surfing through verb sounds!!" LOL
Seriously, waiting is pretty damn easy because I'm not missing/wanting anything more out of the verbs. The extra algos are like a ton of extra icing on the already fine cake.
Yesterday I needed a small room for a mix and new exactly where I was going to get it...Very Small Ambience. Done. Btw " Ambience Tiled Room" is killer as well!! Hmmm might switch over to that preset...
Now hearing what the Mac boys have to say about the new algos peaks my interest, for sure, but the damn plugs are already killer!
Old 30th March 2014 | Show parent
Isnt this the right place to share thoughts and presets about ValhallaRoom?

Just wondering cause no one replied on my post on page #68
Old 31st March 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
The extra algos are like a ton of extra icing on the already fine cake.
No kidding, I was surprised at the first additions for a $50 plug!! And preset sharing?!?! I should thank Den as much as Sean for that!
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by indecline View Post
No kidding, I was surprised at the first additions for a $50 plug!! And preset sharing?!?! I should thank Den as much as Sean for that!
Randy Jones of Madrona Labs is the guy to thank for that. I adapted his preset sharing code for use in ValhallaRoom and later plugins.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Randy Jones of Madrona Labs is the guy to thank for that. I adapted his preset sharing code for use in ValhallaRoom and later plugins.
It is really quite remarkable that no other plugin I have, or can think of, offers such a useful preset sharing option.
Nice work.
Old 1st April 2014
Deleted 691ca21
New VOS TDR SlickEQ has it, they also have a similar help system to Valhalla. But AFAIK Valhalla had them first! (Not used the Madrona stuff).
Old 1st April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaluma View Post
New VOS TDR SlickEQ has it, they also have a similar help system to Valhalla. But AFAIK Valhalla had them first! (Not used the Madrona stuff).
Really, well given I was one of the beta testers like you that is really interesting coz' I didn't know that Babaluma

Edit: Ok page 11 of the Slick Manual describes the process.
well I'll be, I learn something every day.

Thanks Babaluma...
Back on topic, long live everything Valhalla
Old 4th May 2014 | Show parent
Hello Sean,

I was playing around with VRoom yesterday and found again...how powerfull this reverb is. Specially the Nostromo and LV-426 (when set to small Late size values 20-40) gave me very dense, natural results.

Only 2 things Im missing sometimes:
- a smoother High Cut Filter option (can use the reverb send bus EQ...so not a real problem)
- an Oversampling/ Quality option.

Since VRoom is so lite on CPU it would not hurt at all to have some higher Quality (Oversampling) setting.

1. Do you have any plans to implement something like this?

2. any release Date for the new "Dense Room" Algo? (curious...)

Thanks!
Old 4th May 2014 | Show parent
btw...I would not hesitate to pay another 50$ for a VRoom II or VRoom HD Version
Old 5th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi Sean, as we are now in May, what is your revised release date for AAX64 for Win ? your AAX update page still says end of April 2014
Old 13th May 2014
Here for the gear

Dry/Wet alternative mode suggestion

I'd like to suggest a feature:

When using the plugin on per-channel basis, it would bi superb to have a
switchable mode with separate faders for dry and wet signals. I imagine it as
something like this:

ValhallaRoom-valhallaroom_mix.jpg

What do you guys think?
Old 14th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by piastro View Post

something like this:

What do you guys think?
Sounds useless and cluttered, to me. I already have a fader. Why would I want another one?
Old 14th May 2014 | Show parent
Quote:

something like this:

What do you guys think?
Use a send.
Old 16th May 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Sounds useless and cluttered, to me. I already have a fader. Why would I want another one?
Hmm.. you call someone's idea useless and cluttered just because you don't need it or don't get the idea? Sounds like egocentrism for me.. You know, the idea of a separate dry wet control is not unique - it's widely used in many software/hardware reverb processors.

I'll try to explain why i find it useful. First, when mixing a project, for a single song, track/aux/bus amount can easily go beyond a hundred.

For me, instantly navigating through them is a hard task especially if I use more than 20 reverbs for example. So i try to reduce this amount buy having a reverbs on a track inserts instead of using aux sends and creating more tracks. But there's a trouble...

I'm usually adding delay effects AFTER I set a proper mix balance. So if I just place a Valhallaroom as an insert - touching Dry/Wet knob will ruin my mix balance because of dry signal level change. Moreover, I use a lot of mix buses and the aux-send stuff pushes me to additionally mess with routing..
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
Use a send.
Thank you for your tip, bleen!
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Hmm.. you call someone's idea useless and cluttered just because you don't need it or don't get the idea? Sounds like egocentrism for me.. You know, the idea of a separate dry wet control is not unique - it's widely used in many software/hardware reverb processors.
It's not unique, but it isn't how ValhallaRoom works. ValhallaRoom has a very balanced mix between wet and dry levels, due to the following features:

- Sine/cosine crossfade between wet and dry
- The reverb is gain normalized as a function of reverb size and reverb decay time, so that the output of the reverb has a consistent volume level over almost all settings of size and decay.

I'm not going to be adding any parameters to ValhallaRoom at this point. Adding parameters runs the risk of breaking existing DAW projects, which is a risk I can't afford to take. I second bleen's suggestion of using a send.
Lives for gear
Quote:

I'll try to explain why i find it useful. First, when mixing a project, for a single song, track/aux/bus amount can easily go beyond a hundred.

For me, instantly navigating through them is a hard task especially if I use more than 20 reverbs for example. So i try to reduce this amount buy having a reverbs on a track inserts instead of using aux sends and creating more tracks. But there's a trouble...

I'm usually adding delay effects AFTER I set a proper mix balance. So if I just place a Valhallaroom as an insert - touching Dry/Wet knob will ruin my mix balance because of dry signal level change. Moreover, I use a lot of mix buses and the aux-send stuff pushes me to additionally mess with routing..
Sounds more like a lack of functionality in the DAW you're using. What are you using anyway? ...For example Ableton has the ability to group (wrap) effects which allows you to map parameters to macro controls, add signal path's for separate dry wet control and so on.
I think you should look at a pluggin host that runs within your DAW and that allows you to to the same stuff as in the Ableton example I just gave...
Old 1st June 2014
Lives for gear

Just wanted to echo what most people have said about Valhalla Room, its a fantastic reverb. Really good for creating a sense of real physical space, as well as enhancing drum sounds with the excellent ERs. It's by far my favourite reverb out of Shimmer, Room and Vintage.

As I'm on the windows version I've been unable to checkout this new Dense Room Algo. But I'm wondering if Sean would consider making some really super duper high cpu modes for it?, or alternatively have it as an all new Reverb plug, Valhalla Room Ultimate or something.
At the moment the most cpu hungry settings on Room only consume about 4% of one core of my ancient i7 920 quad core cpu.
If I was to use a reverb as a main reverb send in a project I would happily sacrifice as much as 20% of one of the cores, maybe even more.

One of the things I love about the sound of a Bricasti is how its able to convey such a 3D image of the space the sounds in, its like you feel like you're on the ground level in a hall and sense the sound bouncing off the back, side and corners of the room in a really natural way, its quite extraordinary. Whilst I'm not expecting a plugin to completely match this level, and the Room algos already sound really really good in Room!, but if one was to make a new algo that consumed 4-5x the processing power, could it get a bit closer to the sense of back-front left-right and up-down 3D space in stereo recording?

Maybe the new dense algo already does that? Guess I'll find out when its out on the windows version
Old 1st June 2014
Lives for gear

Last edited by Arksun; 8th June 2014 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: Double post
📝 Reply