The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ValhallaRoom
Old 13th March 2011 | Show parent
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
............at $50 you can't expect game changers.
Never let a price be the judge of how good a product is.
(edit: similar opinion to previous poster)

Graham
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just noticed this thread and have been reading through it, i'm no reverb expert i use logic with Overloud Breverb and UA Plate 140.

Will this reverb be better quality than the two i've got ? Maybe some beta testers can answer this, i do understand at $50 you can't expect game changers.
Ha! He could charge way way more for these algorithms, but he chooses not to. Personally I never liked Breverb, tried to in the dark ages before there were good reverb plugins but I didn't find it useable. UAD Plate 140 is pretty good, but a little stiff to me and doesn't get used much anymore. At that time I owned a Lex PCM 70, Kurzweil Rumour and PCM 90 (for a little bit), and now own the PCM native bundle and sold the hardware. I was telling Sean in recent sessions I haven't been reaching for the Lex plugs and have been going straight to his Room plug and Valhalla Shimmer. His room plug does things I've wanted out of the PCM bundle room algo but could never get. So for me its game changing.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
His room plug does things I've wanted out of the PCM bundle room algo but could never get.
I'm teased.
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Also, it does much more than what I said in my previous post. The longish spaces are AWESOME.
Quantic "Room".

Pretty please.

thumbsup
ValhallaDSP

Randy Jones, of the mighty Madrona Labs Aalto synth, just posted a few files with Aalto running through ValhallaRoom:

Lives for gear

very interested in hearing some examples of vintage drum machines running through this (e.g. 808 samples) - a lot of reverbs fall over pretty badly with dry, tight electronic drums, i've got my fingers crossed for this one.
Lives for gear

Artistically speaking, it would be pretty rare you'd want that, though, right? Reverb on a drum machine?

- c
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Artistically speaking, it would be pretty rare you'd want that, though, right? Reverb on a drum machine?

- c
these guys drench drum machines in reverb on like every track and it sounds killer:

Boomkat Jukebox v2.5 beta

i love that sound.
Lives for gear

Quote:
. I was telling Sean in recent sessions I haven't been reaching for the Lex plugs and have been going straight to his Room plug and Valhalla Shimmer. His room plug does things I've wanted out of the PCM bundle room algo but could never get. So for me its game changing.
Very interesting indeed, fingers crossed it's released very soon as I have 3 days off now so some time to demo it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

- c
I find a little contradiction here ;-)

There's no rules and I do remember reverb was used on 808's (maybe more in the 80's or in non-commercial music even nowadays...)

Sean, we NEED the demos SOOOOON!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just noticed this thread and have been reading through it, i'm no reverb expert i use logic with Overloud Breverb and UA Plate 140.

Will this reverb be better quality than the two i've got ? Maybe some beta testers can answer this, i do understand at $50 you can't expect game changers.
I would have thought space designer was all you needed. Save you money and master SD in Logic.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ha! He could charge way way more for these algorithms, but he chooses not to. Personally I never liked Breverb, tried to in the dark ages before there were good reverb plugins but I didn't find it useable. UAD Plate 140 is pretty good, but a little stiff to me and doesn't get used much anymore. At that time I owned a Lex PCM 70, Kurzweil Rumour and PCM 90 (for a little bit), and now own the PCM native bundle and sold the hardware. I was telling Sean in recent sessions I haven't been reaching for the Lex plugs and have been going straight to his Room plug and Valhalla Shimmer. His room plug does things I've wanted out of the PCM bundle room algo but could never get. So for me its game changing.
Yes, when I demo'd it there's instances where the PCM lex plugins are over baring a tad maybe? Too much weight - put simply, it doesn't always work. Not saying PCM lex isn't useful though, just there's some instances where I found better results from else. Given that I already had the full range of powercore reverbs, I didn't end up getting the PCM Lex.

Really looking forward to trying V room. From what I heard with the vocal samples posted earlier, it's really peaked my interest.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing ENgineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post
Really looking forward to trying V room.
Finally something shorter than ValhallaRoom....VRoom!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
I find a little contradiction here ;-)

There's no rules and I do remember reverb was used on 808's (maybe more in the 80's or in non-commercial music even nowadays...)
Again no rules however when making EDM i prefer just a splash of reverb on my percussion but never my Kicks , i find that Kick + Reverb = Mud (theres too much going on down the lower region without inviting a reverb lol) .... everyone to their own horses for courses etc.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
Never let a price be the judge of how good a product is.
Couldn't agree more , i have a few expensive limiter plugins however 9 times out of 10 i use logics own bitcrusher for limiting track channels because its simple and just works.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
I would have thought space designer was all you needed. Save you money and master SD in Logic.
To be honest i've never been a fan of convolution reverbs this is probably harking back to the ole days of CPU intensive so i just kept away now ive got a 8 core Mac i have no excuse lol, i don't think i've ever opened an instance of Space Designer i know i should i'm sure its good.
Gear Addict

Quote:
To be honest i've never been a fan of convolution reverbs this is probably harking back to the ole days of CPU intensive so i just kept away now ive got a 8 core Mac i have no excuse lol, i don't think i've ever opened an instance of Space Designer i know i should i'm sure its good.
It is a very nice reverb but as you say it is a convolution and therefor i don't feel it should be compared to the likes of Lexicon, Valhalla etc. Totally different beasts.

For me Space designer is definately NOT all i need. I much prefer a reverb that sounds more alive and i love Aether, Breeze, Shimmer and Toraverb as my 4 reverbs at this time.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Again no rules however when making EDM i prefer just a splash of reverb on my percussion but never my Kicks , i find that Kick + Reverb = Mud (theres too much going on down the lower region without inviting a reverb lol) .... everyone to their own horses for courses etc.
true. not very good on kicks
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
Bleech. No. I personally dislike convolution reverb plugins, and for some reason Space Designer sounds worse to me than Altiverb even though they are supposed to be doing the same thing. Some people can get it to work for them, but not me. A great algorithmic verb (such as this one) is a totally different thing.
Lives for gear

Interlude:

ValhallaDSP

Y'know, I wasn't even thinking about "VRoom" when I came up with the name. I like it...
Old 15th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Sean,

Might we be seeing a release this week?

Thanks,
~Iz
ValhallaDSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzi View Post
Sean,

Might we be seeing a release this week?
Probably not. ValhallaRoom is in fairly robust shape for OSX, but I am still finalizing the installer. And the non-Valhalla parts of my life have been demanding a lot of time and attention in the past few weeks, and will for most of this week. Launching on Thursday or Friday doesn't make sense for a lot of reasons, so it is looking like next Monday is a likely launch date.

I've been tightening up things with Vroom. Last night, I noticed a modulation artifact on high synthesizer notes, so I spent today tracking it down and eliminating it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
(...) the non-Valhalla parts of my life have been demanding a lot of time and attention in the past few weeks, and will for most of this week.(...)
heh never cut corners on that departement.

One request comes to mind... would you consider including a hint in the presets' names as to what they've been inspired from ? I'd love that...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Couldn't agree more , i have a few expensive limiter plugins however 9 times out of 10 i use logics own bitcrusher for limiting track channels because its simple and just works.
Wait.. what?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Wait.. what?
I don't understand ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post
Really looking forward to trying V room. Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing ENgineer
www.acoosticzoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Finally something shorter than ValhallaRoom....VRoom!
The nick naming of a plug. Brings a tear to my eye.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Wait.. what?
Some people use the Logic Bitcrusher as a digital clipper (i.e. driving it without any bit reduction / downsampling).
Old 16th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

I will be buying this for sure.

Shimmer and EOS are mainstays in my set now except I've had some issues with EOS.

Valhalla plugins have worked perfectly in the hosts I've tested on OSX. EOS has not. I only want to run plugin effects on OSX because my main system is Linux. There are no good reverbs on Linux. I have used Ardour and Mixbus on OSX. Problems with EOS. Granted, these apps are probably not the best to run AUs in but Rax host has also failed badly with EOS where other plugins have worked perfectly. Fantastic reverb algos, poor plugin.
📝 Reply