The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ValhallaRoom
Old 13th March 2011 | Show parent
  #151
Administrator
 
Grahamdwc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
............at $50 you can't expect game changers.
Never let a price be the judge of how good a product is.
(edit: similar opinion to previous poster)

Graham
Old 13th March 2011 | Show parent
  #152
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Just noticed this thread and have been reading through it, i'm no reverb expert i use logic with Overloud Breverb and UA Plate 140.

Will this reverb be better quality than the two i've got ? Maybe some beta testers can answer this, i do understand at $50 you can't expect game changers.
Ha! He could charge way way more for these algorithms, but he chooses not to. Personally I never liked Breverb, tried to in the dark ages before there were good reverb plugins but I didn't find it useable. UAD Plate 140 is pretty good, but a little stiff to me and doesn't get used much anymore. At that time I owned a Lex PCM 70, Kurzweil Rumour and PCM 90 (for a little bit), and now own the PCM native bundle and sold the hardware. I was telling Sean in recent sessions I haven't been reaching for the Lex plugs and have been going straight to his Room plug and Valhalla Shimmer. His room plug does things I've wanted out of the PCM bundle room algo but could never get. So for me its game changing.
Old 13th March 2011 | Show parent
  #153
Lives for gear
 
matucha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
His room plug does things I've wanted out of the PCM bundle room algo but could never get.
I'm teased.
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #154
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Also, it does much more than what I said in my previous post. The longish spaces are AWESOME.
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #155
Quantic "Room".








Pretty please.









thumbsup
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #156
ValhallaDSP
 
seancostello's Avatar
 

Randy Jones, of the mighty Madrona Labs Aalto synth, just posted a few files with Aalto running through ValhallaRoom:



Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #157
Lives for gear
 
dub3000's Avatar
very interested in hearing some examples of vintage drum machines running through this (e.g. 808 samples) - a lot of reverbs fall over pretty badly with dry, tight electronic drums, i've got my fingers crossed for this one.
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #158
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Artistically speaking, it would be pretty rare you'd want that, though, right? Reverb on a drum machine?

- c
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #159
Lives for gear
 
dub3000's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Artistically speaking, it would be pretty rare you'd want that, though, right? Reverb on a drum machine?

- c
these guys drench drum machines in reverb on like every track and it sounds killer:

Boomkat Jukebox v2.5 beta

i love that sound.
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #160
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
. I was telling Sean in recent sessions I haven't been reaching for the Lex plugs and have been going straight to his Room plug and Valhalla Shimmer. His room plug does things I've wanted out of the PCM bundle room algo but could never get. So for me its game changing.
Very interesting indeed, fingers crossed it's released very soon as I have 3 days off now so some time to demo it.
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #161
Lives for gear
 
miro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Artistically speaking, it would be pretty rare you'd want that, though, right? Reverb on a drum machine?

- c
I find a little contradiction here ;-)

There's no rules and I do remember reverb was used on 808's (maybe more in the 80's or in non-commercial music even nowadays...)

Sean, we NEED the demos SOOOOON!
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #162
Lives for gear
 
BlackBackDrop's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Just noticed this thread and have been reading through it, i'm no reverb expert i use logic with Overloud Breverb and UA Plate 140.

Will this reverb be better quality than the two i've got ? Maybe some beta testers can answer this, i do understand at $50 you can't expect game changers.
I would have thought space designer was all you needed. Save you money and master SD in Logic.
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #163
Lives for gear
 
AcoosticZoo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Ha! He could charge way way more for these algorithms, but he chooses not to. Personally I never liked Breverb, tried to in the dark ages before there were good reverb plugins but I didn't find it useable. UAD Plate 140 is pretty good, but a little stiff to me and doesn't get used much anymore. At that time I owned a Lex PCM 70, Kurzweil Rumour and PCM 90 (for a little bit), and now own the PCM native bundle and sold the hardware. I was telling Sean in recent sessions I haven't been reaching for the Lex plugs and have been going straight to his Room plug and Valhalla Shimmer. His room plug does things I've wanted out of the PCM bundle room algo but could never get. So for me its game changing.
Yes, when I demo'd it there's instances where the PCM lex plugins are over baring a tad maybe? Too much weight - put simply, it doesn't always work. Not saying PCM lex isn't useful though, just there's some instances where I found better results from else. Given that I already had the full range of powercore reverbs, I didn't end up getting the PCM Lex.

Really looking forward to trying V room. From what I heard with the vocal samples posted earlier, it's really peaked my interest.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing ENgineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #164
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post
Really looking forward to trying V room.
Finally something shorter than ValhallaRoom....VRoom!
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #165
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miro View Post
I find a little contradiction here ;-)

There's no rules and I do remember reverb was used on 808's (maybe more in the 80's or in non-commercial music even nowadays...)
Again no rules however when making EDM i prefer just a splash of reverb on my percussion but never my Kicks , i find that Kick + Reverb = Mud (theres too much going on down the lower region without inviting a reverb lol) .... everyone to their own horses for courses etc.
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #166
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
Never let a price be the judge of how good a product is.
Couldn't agree more , i have a few expensive limiter plugins however 9 times out of 10 i use logics own bitcrusher for limiting track channels because its simple and just works.
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #167
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
I would have thought space designer was all you needed. Save you money and master SD in Logic.
To be honest i've never been a fan of convolution reverbs this is probably harking back to the ole days of CPU intensive so i just kept away now ive got a 8 core Mac i have no excuse lol, i don't think i've ever opened an instance of Space Designer i know i should i'm sure its good.
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #168
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
To be honest i've never been a fan of convolution reverbs this is probably harking back to the ole days of CPU intensive so i just kept away now ive got a 8 core Mac i have no excuse lol, i don't think i've ever opened an instance of Space Designer i know i should i'm sure its good.
It is a very nice reverb but as you say it is a convolution and therefor i don't feel it should be compared to the likes of Lexicon, Valhalla etc. Totally different beasts.

For me Space designer is definately NOT all i need. I much prefer a reverb that sounds more alive and i love Aether, Breeze, Shimmer and Toraverb as my 4 reverbs at this time.
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #169
Lives for gear
 
miro's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Again no rules however when making EDM i prefer just a splash of reverb on my percussion but never my Kicks , i find that Kick + Reverb = Mud (theres too much going on down the lower region without inviting a reverb lol) .... everyone to their own horses for courses etc.
true. not very good on kicks
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #170
Lives for gear
 
thermos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
I would have thought space designer was all you needed. Save you money and master SD in Logic.
Bleech. No. I personally dislike convolution reverb plugins, and for some reason Space Designer sounds worse to me than Altiverb even though they are supposed to be doing the same thing. Some people can get it to work for them, but not me. A great algorithmic verb (such as this one) is a totally different thing.
Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #171
Lives for gear
 
Coyoteous's Avatar
 

Interlude:

Old 14th March 2011 | Show parent
  #172
ValhallaDSP
 
seancostello's Avatar
 

Y'know, I wasn't even thinking about "VRoom" when I came up with the name. I like it...
Old 15th March 2011 | Show parent
  #173
Lives for gear
 

Sean,

Might we be seeing a release this week?

Thanks,
~Iz
Old 15th March 2011 | Show parent
  #174
ValhallaDSP
 
seancostello's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzi View Post
Sean,

Might we be seeing a release this week?
Probably not. ValhallaRoom is in fairly robust shape for OSX, but I am still finalizing the installer. And the non-Valhalla parts of my life have been demanding a lot of time and attention in the past few weeks, and will for most of this week. Launching on Thursday or Friday doesn't make sense for a lot of reasons, so it is looking like next Monday is a likely launch date.

I've been tightening up things with Vroom. Last night, I noticed a modulation artifact on high synthesizer notes, so I spent today tracking it down and eliminating it.
Old 15th March 2011 | Show parent
  #175
Lives for gear
 
Washington's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello View Post
(...) the non-Valhalla parts of my life have been demanding a lot of time and attention in the past few weeks, and will for most of this week.(...)
heh never cut corners on that departement.

One request comes to mind... would you consider including a hint in the presets' names as to what they've been inspired from ? I'd love that...
Old 15th March 2011 | Show parent
  #176
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
Couldn't agree more , i have a few expensive limiter plugins however 9 times out of 10 i use logics own bitcrusher for limiting track channels because its simple and just works.
Wait.. what?
Old 15th March 2011 | Show parent
  #177
Lives for gear
 
cane creek's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Wait.. what?
I don't understand ?
Old 15th March 2011 | Show parent
  #178
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post
Really looking forward to trying V room. Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing ENgineer
www.acoosticzoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Finally something shorter than ValhallaRoom....VRoom!
The nick naming of a plug. Brings a tear to my eye.
Old 15th March 2011 | Show parent
  #179
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
Wait.. what?
Some people use the Logic Bitcrusher as a digital clipper (i.e. driving it without any bit reduction / downsampling).
Old 16th March 2011 | Show parent
  #180
Gear Addict
 

I will be buying this for sure.

Shimmer and EOS are mainstays in my set now except I've had some issues with EOS.

Valhalla plugins have worked perfectly in the hosts I've tested on OSX. EOS has not. I only want to run plugin effects on OSX because my main system is Linux. There are no good reverbs on Linux. I have used Ardour and Mixbus on OSX. Problems with EOS. Granted, these apps are probably not the best to run AUs in but Rax host has also failed badly with EOS where other plugins have worked perfectly. Fantastic reverb algos, poor plugin.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 616 views: 101724
Avatar for Fleer
Fleer 22nd November 2016
replies: 61 views: 40104
Avatar for Motor For Music
Motor For Music 2nd May 2015
replies: 1974 views: 292121
Avatar for robinschell
robinschell 1 week ago
replies: 2 views: 1165
Avatar for FoxMulderFBI
FoxMulderFBI 30th January 2018
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump