The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thuresson CM402 micrpohone Condenser Microphones
Old 8th February 2006
Gear Nut

Wink Thuresson CM402 micrpohone

There's a new pretty amazing mic from Sweden that's taking off in the USA.

The Thuresson CM402 is a mic like no other in several ways. It's hand made in Sweden; has a fully selectable polar pattern selector; 'floating' capsule diaphragm; and last but not least performs incredibly well in almost every situation imaginable. It excels on acoustic instruments and room applications.

It was presented in Nashville and there's currently a demo being passed around LA.

To see, hear, and get one in your hands and on your next session, contact Blackbird Audio Rentals in Nashville, we have 6. Email us to request a photo.

This is far from a paid ad. You'll see why we are making mention of it after you hear what it does. Looks pretty cool, too. We'll post a photo in the next few days.

Rock on!
Rolff
http://www.blackbirdaudiorentals.com
Old 8th February 2006
Lives for gear

Damn! I just bought what I had hoped was my last mic for awhile!
Old 8th February 2006
Lives for gear

Rolff

Please send pics to mokoATbigknobDOTnet

Cheers,
Old 8th February 2006
Lives for gear

Sounds interesting. Care to share some contact info to the guy making them ? I'm in Sweden and would like to get in touch with him.
Old 8th February 2006
Lives for gear

any link? picture? price?
Old 8th February 2006
Rolff,
are you Swedish?
Old 10th February 2006
Yeah, Rolf. I think we're going to need a picture of you holding the mic to see how Swedish you look. That sweet SPL ad just isn't enough of a pic to tell...
Old 10th February 2006
Gear Nut

follow up on Thuresson

David Hall (engineer) in Nashville has sent the original demo to Joey Chicarelli (sic?) in LA who apparently won't let go of it. The next guys chompin' at the bit are Al Schmidt and Alan Sides.

We have 6 of them making the rounds in Nashville. Some reports so far are that they are one of the coolest acoustic mics 'ever'. I had one alt & rock engineer/producer with many years under his belt say it was 'too true' and not gritty enough. My gears started turning, because this is what the acoustic instrument recording fanatics freak about. A mic that is so pure and true and accurate.

Photos will follow although my DUTCH face may not accompany them as in the shameless self promo ads by SPL, (Dosser is such a smarty pants!).

Give me a day or 6 and I'll get you all in the loop on this thing with photos.

BTW - We ship anywhere if you want to rent this mofo for $50/day each. It's well worth getting bacon stripes in your shorts for!

Peace, love and good healthy living to all!
Rolff
Old 10th February 2006
Gear Nut

Thuresson contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction
Sounds interesting. Care to share some contact info to the guy making them ? I'm in Sweden and would like to get in touch with him.
email me Friday and I'll forward contact info to you ASAP.
[email protected]

Peace, love and understanding!
Rolff
Old 11th February 2006
Gear Nut

Thuresson mic info

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowswing
any link? picture? price?
Erik Nordstrom
[email protected]

OK...I'm an idiot! How do I insert a picture?
Old 11th February 2006

From the FAQ:

To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Browse] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

Only certain types of files may be attached: these are the valid file extensions for files to be attached to this forum: aif aiff bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg mp3 mp4a pdf png psd sd2 sit txt wav wmv zip.

After posting, the attachment will show up in the body of your message. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon

I believe its a bit out of date, and that you use [Manage Attachments] instead of [Browse] to upload the image file. Once that is done, it appears in the attach file box. You can then place it in the body of the message by dragging it there, but it needs to be bracketed by the "IMG" tag with the "Insert Image" button in the toolbar.

There may be an easier way to do it, but that's what I've learned so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Thuresson CM402 micrpohone-mixdream_sitebanner.jpg  
Old 11th February 2006
Gear Nut

Dosser is so helpful and full of help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosser

From the FAQ:

To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Browse] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

Only certain types of files may be attached: these are the valid file extensions for files to be attached to this forum: aif aiff bmp doc gif jpe jpeg jpg mp3 mp4a pdf png psd sd2 sit txt wav wmv zip.

After posting, the attachment will show up in the body of your message. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon

I believe its a bit out of date, and that you use [Manage Attachments] instead of [Browse] to upload the image file. Once that is done, it appears in the attach file box. You can then place it in the body of the message by dragging it there, but it needs to be bracketed by the "IMG" tag with the "Insert Image" button in the toolbar.

There may be an easier way to do it, but that's what I've learned so far.
OK John,
Thanks for the tip. Here's the awaited Thuresson mic pic (a must hear!).
Contact for purchase is:
Erik Nordstrom
[email protected]
Sittin on the couch watching Olympic opening ceremonies and slutin' out with y'all!
Stay in touch!
Peace and love ( and I mean it!),
Rolff
Attached Thumbnails
Thuresson CM402 micrpohone-thuresson-cm402.jpg  
Old 5th April 2006
Lives for gear

The idea of the mic looks great, a virtually unobstructed cage surrrounding the capsule, apparently a CK-12 derivative, with a very small amplifier circuit, maybe similar to the simple and effective Schoeps variety.

The Elma polarity switch is nice, gonna stay reliable for a long time.

How much?
Old 5th April 2006
Lives for gear

Pricing information deleted on request of manufacturer
Old 2nd November 2006
Gear interested

Well the Cm402 Mic is what they say it is

Just finished a 2 day session using the CM402, that Blackbird suggested to me for acoustic instruments. And the final vote is in and in a land slide victory it came in this way....BAAAAAAAD TO THE BONE. I will own one as soon as I can find one. It stood out so much that when the acoustic player saw it he laughed at the construction of it and referred to it as a miniture bug zapper which is kind of what it looks like.....it is the size of a coke can and is covered in a mesh material. Honestly it looks like a mic that would sell for maybe $100 bucks, if that....but as soon as we cut the first track the player asked and I quote "Where in hell did you get this mic, it sounds better than any mic I have ever played to"....the guys did not steer me wrong....all of the acoustic tracks we cut are so clean and true to the natural sound of the instrument.....even though it does not favor much it has won my vote......give it a try if you get the chance...you will be happy.
Old 16th February 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaukholm View Post
Pricing information deleted on request of manufacturer
Cant find a price on this online. Is the info available yet. Dificult to buy if I we dont knowho wmuch it costs ? Im sure its good though.
Old 16th February 2007
Lives for gear

a pair of these will probably not be ideal for co-incident stereo micing no? the distance between capsules will be too much for phase coherence, no?

respect,
Old 11th March 2008
Lives for gear

The 402

I'm a happy owner of a pair of these. I heard the mic on ac guit on a project that a friend/one of Swedens top engineers worked on, and I was amazed. Have to agree that it sounds super natural and clean, with extremely low noise. Having 2 different Neumann tube mics since earlier, a stereo pair of these was exactly what I was looking for. The first test was a nice one! 30 strings in one of the classic studios of the Swedish Radio. We used it as a stereo pair in front of all the strings and compared it to a pair of Neumann M149s, wich had been my favourite for strings, brass etc, until then. We used Millennia pre's, no eq, on both pairs. I remember that we joked about the comparision being like a socker game Sweden vs Germany. Germany always beats Sweden in socker and I was very sure that they would this time too... After a pretty hectic session we came back to the mix studio to evaluate. Listening A/B made it very clear how little color the 402s add. We ended up using both pairs on some parts with the Neumanns in for a little more bite in the mids (without having to eq!..). But the 402's very open and natural sound made them our main choice, much to my surprise. Since then I've used it on ac guit, smaller string ensembles, horns, solo woodwinds, drum OH, harp (not harmonica) etc etc and I just love it! Tried it on close mic voc, but wasn't that good. For piano I'd say yes if it's classical or hifi jazz, for most pop styles I'd use something else if possible. BTW, the 30 piece string orchestra recording can be heard on Silje Nergaards (Universal, Norway) feb 2007 release "Darkness out of blue" with two fantastic arrangements by the great Vince Mendoza!
Old 24th March 2008
Lives for gear

This guy is the coolest ever. From what I've heard, he builds the mics in his kitchen;

' But mr Thuresson, Surely you need a serilized lab for making your own caspules?'
'But why?'

A very... special person. He'd as soon not sell you a pair as he would. They do sound amazing though. Could be they're replacing the 4006 as my favorite.
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

What does something like this sell for?
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunard View Post
What does something like this sell for?
ditto

AA
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear

Any price [email protected]!

Hey fellas!

So any price on this mic yet? Would be good to know about it so we can place orders and so on!!!

Thanx
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolff View Post
OK John,
Thanks for the tip. Here's the awaited Thuresson mic pic (a must hear!).
Contact for purchase is:
Erik Nordstrom
[email protected]
Sittin on the couch watching Olympic opening ceremonies and slutin' out with y'all!
Stay in touch!
Peace and love ( and I mean it!),
Rolff
I guess by contacting him.

Btw. There´s another Swedish mic builder with exelent results also...
those copper bullet looking things, cannot remember now.

Matti
Old 7th November 2009
Lives for gear

You're thinking of Didrik de Geer, methinks.

I just posted some quick classical music samples with the CM402, one recording which is also recorded with two 4006:s for your fine ears pleasure.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...ml#post4758758
Old 7th November 2009
Lives for gear

That was the one!
Old 8th November 2009
bee
Lives for gear

Price would be nice, keeping it a secret is rather lame.
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Price would be nice, keeping it a secret is rather lame.
FWIW I bought my pair for, I believe, around 33k swedish Krona a few years ago.
Old 20th December 2009
Lives for gear

Talk to Erik for up-to-date and international prices. I just ordered the first of my soon-to-be stereo pair yesterday - the developer is very nice, and very busy!

[email protected]
Old 14th April 2010
Gear Nut

I'm very proud to say that I received my CM402 today. Delivered by Mr. Thuresson himself no less! We had a coffee and talked about mics (both his and others). He really does know pretty much everything about microphones. I was very impressed.
The CM402 is an utterly amazing microphone. I first used one a few years ago at another studio here in Stockholm. I knew right then that it would be my next mic and since I'm turning 40 next month I thought I'd buy myself a nice present. Worth every penny (well actually, Krona) :-)
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

Congratulations for that investment !
Is he willing to make more if kindly approached ?

Matti

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search