The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thuresson CM402 micrpohone Condenser Microphones
Old 14th April 2010
Gear Nut

Hi Matti,
I can't imagine why he wouldn't. He seemed to be pretty busy actually.

Regards,
Frank
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

Hmm.

Matti
Old 14th April 2010
Gear Nut

Go ahead...you won't regret it!
:-)

-Frank
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

Missing some € or to be exact kroner...

Matti
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear

Oh doth, how frustrating it is to have a note from the post office notifying me that I have a shipment of brand new 402:s waiting for me... COME MONDAY!
Old 11th December 2010
Gear Head

Thuresson CM 402

Hello everybody, since this is such a nice, different, extremely detailed and natural sounding microphone I'd like to contribute to the story just a bit:

I first heard of it when talking to Jan-Eric Persson at Opus3 records some 9-10 years ago when I called him up to discuss a completely different thing.
Opus3 was already known to me since many years for it's good reputation in making superb recordings on vinyl, later SACD.

Jan-Eric and I have had long and interesting discussions from time to time during the years and he visited my ancient studio last year in Sweden bringing his latest produced cd Dan & the electros
(quite superb both musically and sonically) to have a testplay on my controlroom monitors and acoustics...smiles upon our faces of course!
After some nice talk about the pioneering times in recording & pop history (60's) which never cease to fascinate you he mentioned a book that he insisted I must read, Here there & everywhere by Geoff Emerick which I shortly thereafter got and read from page 1 to the end in 2-3 days-recommended for the inside story and comprehension of one of the greatest wonders in music at a certain time and place, the Abbey Road!!!

OK back to the Thuresson microphones now, Jörgen as someone already has stated is building them in his home in Stockholm Sweden, quite possibly in his kitchen and don't need or want to market them via websites etc as they have been the talk of the planet for a long while now and are in continuous demand from top and selective engineers worldwide.

I first started using them 2 years ago when he sent me a pair to try on a choral recording in Vårdnäs kyrka Östergötland and the results were just so good even too good and detailed and...I realised immediately this is the thing and would by them with time.
1 thing to avoid, tip of the day and if you can, record a choir or organ etc on a session instead of a regular live occasion/concert as there are always people in the audience and inevitably always will be that ruin the best parts ie the quiet sombre parts, with a loud sneeze or cough or cracking the chair with a stupid movement just at those critical moments...kill comes to your mind but ooohh yes, they are only humans...
I definitely prefer the session recording w. closed doors nighttime like the one we did with the Chamber choir of Linköping in Nov. 2009, a superb recording and performance under Jörgen Ralphsson; Romanska Bågar.

Today I finally got my own pair of Thuresson CM402 with delivery to my new adress in Finistère - Britanny, in the 11th hour you could say as I have a gig to record with a choir on Sunday in a concert venue w. orchestra and solists.
These microphones do the job and they do it so well it's a mere pleasure to work and listen to the results and everyone that have heard the records I've made so far with choirs say they never heard such a goodsounding and detailed beautiful sound etc etc.
It's a bit of irony as I have yet not had the time myself to try them on individual instruments like the rest of the guys around here & owning them talks about but I shure will do within weeks now as my new studio is just ready and installed to begin work now!
It will be interesting to elaborate with various distances for my concert-grand piano Malmsjö 275 cm and to see what will be the best position for my taste, probably a couple of meters away in omni as the room is very good too*

So, for those of you wanting to attain world-class recordings with choirs or small or big acoustic orchestras etc in critical & demanding environments like cathedrals and churches just go for it w. Thuresson you can't go wrong.
Sure DPA's etc are equally good but I couldn't tell since I never tried them myself, have heard some very good recordings made w. DPA on church-organ though.
These are however special in every aspect and possibly the best microphones you can get for clarity and detail combined with, in my case the Forssell SMP-2 preamp, another (his family emigrated to USA before his time) Swedish name behind products like Millennia etc and now his own brand and line of very fine products.

Jörgen is a very nice man and has designed my pair a bit different which I am very glad for thanks again man*

A last couple of words on Swedish geniuses in soundengineering or manufacturing of the best stuff around:
I also met Didrik de Geer around 1988 when he started to make his microphones, the lanterns which rose to critical acclaim ultrafast, he was a nice guy to and we met at Polar studios when he was modifying the gravy station gravure for vinyl to the best in the world, Olle Ramm was my boss at the time and it was just great in avery aspect.
Some years later I remember calling Didrik for a specific question regarding militarygrade capacitors and resistors which I knew he had in stock and a good knowledge about, I mentioned the AKG C-414 b-uls for some reason as a sort of reference thing as they were considered to be the most flat and uncoloured microphones existing at the time, and he just burst out:
I DON'T TOUCH SUCH **** WITH MY HANDS...yes it is true and now official, I honestly thought this was a "bit" snobbish, you figure out the rest, the price etc for his lanterns last time I got some info 8 years ago was around 150.000:- skr which equals 15.000 € or almost 22.000 $ for 1 of those...hype or not...

We have another genius called Leif Mases whom I met 1988 in Jimmy Pages studio the SOL outside London, he's done some very good sounding records as most of you probably know, AND the mastering series Maselec products!
His story is also an interesting one starting in his chamber in Uppsala where he constructed a freakin' good transitorized crunchy console as a young student and then as soundengineer at Marcus studios in Solna in the same house where I was born where the cinema Savoy was before the studio.

Sorry for the length of this post but it just poured out and there is more....

Cheers ;-

Last edited by MrArtrock; 11th December 2010 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 31st October 2011
So am I correct in ascertaining that these microphones are in excess of $5100 each?

Gentle Savior, save my heart...
Old 12th November 2012
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothings View Post
a pair of these will probably not be ideal for co-incident stereo micing no? the distance between capsules will be too much for phase coherence, no?

respect,
Yes, that´s true but he has made an Quad-mic with four outputs with the capsules really close to each other. Excellent for Blumlein (or X/Y if You decide that in the mix) and MS-stereo.
I´ve been waiting for my copy for 2 years now. Yes he´s bizzy.

Most people talk about the CM402. I have a pair of CM 501. I think it´s very similar to the 402. The main difference is that it has 2 outputs from each mic. One for the front and one for the rear. I really like that I have the opportunity to blend the balance between the room/instrument in the mix and even change the caracter in some ways.
I really love CM 501. I even use it on pop/rock vocals sometimes.
Old 30th January 2014
Lives for gear
Any updates on this device
Is it suitable for MS or is it too large ?
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 View Post
Any updates on this device
Is it suitable for MS or is it too large ?
I have not tired M/S with these yet but I don't think it'd be ideal for that application. The Basket is too large to get the capsules close enough, also the dual capsule arrangement is not best for proper MS.

Stunning sounding mic though

Dave

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search