The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tonelux EQ5P, MP5A, and TX5C - 500 series 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear

Tonelux EQ5P, MP5A, and TX5C - 500 series

They look like 500 series versions of the Tonelux modules...... I wonder if they are internally identical?

EQ and Compressor = $950
Pre Amp = $785

They also have a V4, which is a 4 space 500 series rack for around $499.
Attached Thumbnails
Tonelux EQ5P, MP5A, and TX5C - 500 series-media.jpeg   Tonelux EQ5P, MP5A, and TX5C - 500 series-media-5.jpeg   Tonelux EQ5P, MP5A, and TX5C - 500 series-media-4.jpeg  
Old 28th January 2011
Gear Addict

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup but no 1U rack compressor version yet ... ?
Old 28th January 2011
Lives for gear
Subscribing, I've never had the chance of trying anything from Tonelux,
just the Tilt Eq Softube made and it's ridiculous how useful (and good sounding) that is.
I've checked out their compressor time ago and I was pretty impressed with the features, same for the eq
Great move to go 500! thumbsup
Old 28th January 2011
TRW
Lives for gear

I really want to try the EQ, downsizing so something that can add tone, fix things and also sit on mixbus. A tall order, but I have a funny feeling these are the ****.

Lunchbox sounds interesting also. Any pics?

-T
Old 28th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
They look like 500 series versions of the Tonelux modules...... I wonder if they are internally identical?

EQ and Compressor = $950
Pre Amp = $785

They also have a V4, which is a 4 space 500 series rack for around $499.
FINALLY!

I can't wait where do I sign up.
Old 28th January 2011
Badass!!! Great move Tonelux!!
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Addict

These look awesome, though it seems like there is a new bad ass 500 series unit every other week

We are running out of empty slots far too fast!!
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klauth View Post
What's the difference between the 500 & original tonelux modules(spec wise) Paul... ya there? ~klauth.
Unfortunately, I have no experience with Tonelux products Klauth. :( These modules look interesting though. Anyone know what kind of flavor we can expect from these units? - paul
Old 31st January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry bro... was paging, Paul Wolff
Hah and doh! My bad. See, exactly. No experience with Tonelux yet. heh - paul
Old 31st January 2011
Gear Addict

Any current tonelux users want to enlighten us about these units' non 500 series equivalents?

Haven't ever seen any thing but positive things said about tonelux
Old 31st January 2011
Gear Addict

awesome! wanted to try tonelux stuff but never had the drive to get a v8 for em to fit in

random side note, Im good friends with paul's daughter. I always ask her to search the attic for vintage api pre's but for some reason she isnt as enthusiastic about it as me, I wonder why? Paul if you're readin this, hook it up! I grew up by you in va run
Old 2nd February 2011
alk
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasindevin View Post
Any current tonelux users want to enlighten us about these units' non 500 series equivalents?

I have a Tonelux summing box, absolutely the best
mixes sound big and clear
tried the eq and compressor, incredibly smooth and precise
the only inconvenient thing is that it is very cluttered
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear Nut

I've got a rack Tonelux Pres, EQs, and Compressors. They sound excellent... real analog fatness with tons of clarity and definition at the same time. The plethora of controls on all the modules gives you insane flexibility and make these very powerful audio tools. When I use them I'm like... damn they thought of everything!

For example, the sheer versatility of the compressor kind of boggles the mind. Not only can you choose between feed-forward and feed-back, you can fade between the different types. You've got wet/dry mix for built-in parallel compression, tilt control on the sidechain/detector, and the x5 attack button.

The only negative thing I can say about them is that there are a lot of small labels and controls packed into a tight form-factor, so there is a bit of a learning curve. Luckily, the modules are also packed with multi-colored indicator lights and meters so you can see pretty well at a glance what is going on once you know the basics of a module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasindevin View Post

Old 4th February 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrizly
I've got a rack Tonelux Pres, EQs, and Compressors. They sound excellent... real analog fatness with tons of clarity and definition at the same time. The plethora of controls on all the modules gives you insane flexibility and make these very powerful audio tools. When I use them I'm like... damn they thought of everything!

For example, the sheer versatility of the compressor kind of boggles the mind. Not only can you choose between feed-forward and feed-back, you can fade between the different types. You've got wet/dry mix for built-in parallel compression, tilt control on the sidechain/detector, and the x5 attack button.

The only negative thing I can say about them is that there are a lot of small labels and controls packed into a tight form-factor, so there is a bit of a learning curve. Luckily, the modules are also packed with multi-colored indicator lights and meters so you can see pretty well at a glance what is going on once you know the basics of a module.
What could you compare the eqs to?
How do they on a mix buss?
Old 4th February 2011
Just for the record....

The 500 series and Tonelux TX series are the same circuit and layout wise. Here is what is different:

!.5" wide (duh...) (instead of 1")

15 pin edge connector (instead of 120)

+- 16 volts (instead of 18)

500 series only has input and output, so there is no way to link, remote or sidechain the TX5C Compressor, so we put 3 TT type jacks on the front panel. One is to link pairs, by pressing the LINK to the right button. The Side chain in is for keying from a different source. The Remote input is for soon to be released surround controller, which will work for the 500 or the TX rack.

The MP5A mic pre has no PFL button, since there are no busses on the connector.

The EQ4P has no +10 input on the rear.

Sonically, I just took the layout and plopped it into a different PCB. I had to move a few parts around, so if your record doesn't go gold, that will be why...

The V4 rack will be out soon, it is a OVER powered rack of 4 modules, and can power a small city. There will be the X4, a 4 channel expander, which will screw onto the side of the V4, pick up power, and pick up the inputs and outputs so they can be brought to an 8 channel dsub in and out as well as the XLR connectors. There will also be a TX4 expander, which will be a 4 channel Tonelux format rack expander that can also be screwed onto the side and now you can have both modules with one handle and power supply. It will have the bus access also.
Old 4th February 2011
Gear Head

I saw on a website they had two more consoles besides 1628: the 2428 and 3228. Any pictures on them or are they not out yet?
Old 4th February 2011
Quote:
Thanks for the update paul any plans for other modules in the 500 format? ~klauth.
Since the format is limited to input and output, there aren't any, though I have a few effects in mind, more to come later.
Old 4th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidman View Post
I saw on a website they had two more consoles besides 1628: the 2428 and 3228. Any pictures on them or are they not out yet?
They are just options to expand the 1628 with 8 or 16 more inputs.
Old 4th February 2011
The V4 rack and options
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NAMM 4x6 rear.pdf (3.97 MB, 617 views)
Old 4th February 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneLux View Post
I had to move a few parts around, so if your record doesn't go gold, that will be why...
LMAO! That's the funniest statement I've read on GS in a while. The mix-and-match rack idea is awesome though. Perhaps we will see a 500 series halo effect once people get a taste of the goodness.
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

Have a question... but first a little background:

I am in the market for a couple of Pre Amps to fill up the last 2 slots in my lunchbox.
These certainly look good... specially with the Tilt eq on board! I have been demoing Softtube's Tilt plug-in and it is incredibly useful.

Unfortunately there are no dealers in New Zealand so demoing them is not possible.

Originally I was looking at the Electrodyne 501... now the Tonelux MP5A has been released. With the Tilt eq I'm 'leaning' towards the MP5A now.

I will be using the 2 pres mainly for synth and drum machines with a little bit of mic work.

Here is my question (finally): Does the MP5A DI work with the mic pre circuit like how a DI box and Mic Pre combo works? I'm pretty sure the Electrodyne 501 does.

- Hugo
Old 8th February 2011
The MP5a is the same as the MP1a, and the direct in bypasses the input transformer, but from that point on, it passes through everything the mic would.
Old 9th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The MP5a is the same as the MP1a, and the direct in bypasses the input transformer, but from that point on, it passes through everything the mic would.

Thanks for the info Paul.

- Hugo
Old 9th February 2011
Gear Addict

TT is the solution for all 500 series linkable functions.Mr.Wolf your a man on incredible talents!
Old 26th February 2011
Jai guru deva om

I am told these are now shipping, and hope to add them to the Clipalator in the coming days.

War
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I am told these are now shipping, and hope to add them to the Clipalator in the coming days.

War
I must admit you do a great job with your Clipalator dude, thanks!!

AA
Old 26th February 2011
Jai guru deva om

It's the best way I know to bring some kind of context...thanks!

War
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
(...)so we put 3 TT type jacks on the front panel. One is to link pairs, by pressing the LINK to the right button. The Side chain in is for keying from a different source(...)
Farking brilliant thinking!thumbsup
Old 5th March 2011
Jai guru deva om

The EQ showed up, beauty...

War
Old 5th March 2011
Lives for gear

Great Paul!!! I've been waiting for these since you released the Tonelux line!! Woo Hoo! heh
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search