Kush Audio Gain Train - Affordable & Transparent Monitor Control.. at last!
Old 12th February 2011
Lives for gear

That is correct.

Brad
Old 14th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
That is correct.

Brad
Thanks Brad
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

I'm very interested in this. Does that negatively affect the value of the thing?
Old 17th February 2011
Gear interested

Woohoo, glad I stumbled across this thread as I've been searching for the perfect transparent monitor controller without the Avocet price tag! Looks a tad weird with that massive knob, but in all other areas it ticks the boxes. Having said that the knob will make for some hilarious banter in the studio.

Good work chaps! Looking forward to it finally hitting the UK sometime in April... ... hopefully!
Old 17th February 2011
Lives for gear

Greg

Any chance for a surround expansion module in the future?
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
I'm very interested in this. Does that negatively affect the value of the thing?
Buy one and let's find out.

Brad
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Buy one and let's find out.

Brad
Well, of course there's the EASY way. Haha.

Might just do that...
Old 18th February 2011
Gear interested

Pad

Hey there!

Looks quite interesting. Unfortunately I'm from Europe, so I guess I'll have to wait for Kush on it's way to world domination, haha.

But one question: why didn't you include a -20 oder -10 dB Pad?

I must say I find this quite useful in a monitor controller. It helps me a lot with checking mix and master overall balances at different levels (without turning the main-knob).
Old 25th February 2011
Gear nut

Just pre-ordered mine.
$399 for each module, which is a pretty decent price.
Old 26th February 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equalies View Post
Hey there!

But one question: why didn't you include a -20 oder -10 dB Pad?
I have to say, I am curious about this as well...
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

There are, of course, a lot of features that would have been great to include in the unit. Greg and I simply chose the most versatile feature set that we could physically pack into these small enclosures and then implemented it with a no-holds barred approach to sonics and performance...all at a very favorable price point. If you pop the lid on these units, it's wall to wall circuitry in there. There's literally zero room to add any more switches, potentiometers, connectors, or op amps inside.

Brad
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

There is a lot of interest in monitor controllers but I don't really understand the obsession about the volume knob. Of course there is the need to switch between speaker pairs, but in terms of level adjustment, I have not touched a volume knob in maybe months (mixing at work).
Granted, I mix for TV, not music, but the same principle applies. I calibrate the room and mix at one known level always. this will allow me to mix by ear.
I made a simple 3 position volume switch box with a couple of resistors that gives me full - dim - mute.
Cheers
Old 10th March 2011
Lives for gear

Brad, Gregory.

Have either of you mused about a rackmount version of this? Two modules in 1u? I know it seems most DAWey-type people seem to opt for desktop monitor controllers these days, but I hate having cable runs in front of me and stuff in the way.

Also, any dealers in Canada?
Old 10th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
There is a lot of interest in monitor controllers but I don't really understand the obsession about the volume knob. Of course there is the need to switch between speaker pairs, but in terms of level adjustment, I have not touched a volume knob in maybe months (mixing at work).
Granted, I mix for TV, not music, but the same principle applies. I calibrate the room and mix at one known level always. this will allow me to mix by ear.
I made a simple 3 position volume switch box with a couple of resistors that gives me full - dim - mute.
Cheers
There are a lot more variables to having a monitor controller than just mixing.
I used to do a lot of broadcast and never touched the volume knob either.
But as a producer, i am currently turning it up and down when tracking in the room, mixing, editing, comping, and playing back to clients... and all those are variable depending on the style of music and my mood.
It is not about just calibrating, often it is about having the right vibe and atmosphere in the room to obtain the right tracks.
Some of the time i will have it at one volume setting and just hit the dim switch or change to my small monitors on the shelf, but doing only that is for a small number of specialties.
Old 15th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Brad, Gregory.

Have either of you mused about a rackmount version of this? Two modules in 1u? I know it seems most DAWey-type people seem to opt for desktop monitor controllers these days, but I hate having cable runs in front of me and stuff in the way.

Also, any dealers in Canada?
Hi Travis,

Yes, we have mused. Greg and I do lots of musing. It's fun. heh

As for Canadian dealers...I would contact Wave Distribution to get the dealer list.

Brad
Old 16th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
As for Canadian dealers...I would contact Wave Distribution to get the dealer list
Steve's Music, Studio Economik, Long and McQuade, Solotech.
Old 16th March 2011
Lives for gear

Ah, didn't know L&M could get KuSH products in. Cool. I've been thinking about looking into a Clariphonic too.
Old 17th March 2011
Lives for gear
Is it at all possible to have one input routed through my monitors, and a second input (cue) routed through to the headphones?

Also, do you have any distribution channels set up for the UAE or the Middle East in general?

The unit looks wicked!
Old 17th March 2011
Pragmatic Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsSka View Post
Is it at all possible to have one input routed through my monitors, and a second input (cue) routed through to the headphones?

Not with this design, that kind of routing flexibility would jack the cost up a *lot* and wouldn't fit in this footprint.

I'll ask my distributor what the deal is in the Middle East. thumbsup

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

I'm really excited about this. I'm tired of using my little SM "Pro" Audio NanoPatch.

The only thing is that it seems like an oversight to me to have the Gain Train's Function Junction connector on the right side. I always prefer to have my volume control on the left side of my desk. It leaves my right hand free for the mouse, for playing a quick keyboard part, for writing something down, anything really. It would be much better to me if the volume control could be the closest thing to my body on my left side. I'm much more likely to be tweaking that than to be tweaking the headphone volumes on the FJ. I really think that's my only beef. Though it is a major annoyance to me.

Still, very, very excited. This will solve several problems for me.
Old 20th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
The only thing is that it seems like an oversight to me to have the Gain Train's Function Junction connector on the right side. ...I really think that's my only beef. Though it is a major annoyance to me.
I guess, as nearly every recording console has the monitor level to the right of the user it has become an industry norm.
I dont see why you still cant have the volume on the left, the thing is only a few inches wide, and if 4-5" makes that much difference you can use a cable to extend the junction to somewhere else.
Old 20th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtone View Post
I guess, as nearly every recording console has the monitor level to the right of the user it has become an industry norm.
I dont see why you still cant have the volume on the left, the thing is only a few inches wide, and if 4-5" makes that much difference you can use a cable to extend the junction to somewhere else.
Oh, look, it's not like this is a deal breaker or anything. I mean, this thing looks really great. Really great. They seem to have thought of nearly everything.

You're right about recording consoles having the volume on the right, of course. It's just that they were all designed pre-mouse. And for the most part, pre-one-guy-sitting-in-a-room-by-himself-composing-and-recording-music.

It's just a small wish. It'd be great if there were the option of it being on the right or the left.

Regardless, I'm really excited about this.
Old 20th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockTheRoll View Post
Eek!

Cool concept but I don't know about turning a knob that's bigger than my own all day... Sort of looks like a dilo

Cool unit though!
You got to be very careful with comments like that.
I made a comment like that which was actually more vague than yours and I ended up being reported, warned and my post was deleted!
Just a heads up!

However I agree, the knob alone is why I wouldnt buy it. I can already see the constant joking around by clients which eventually wont be funny but just annoying.
Old 20th March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
However I agree, the knob alone is why I wouldnt buy it. I can already see the constant joking around by clients which eventually wont be funny but just annoying.
You can change the knob out. It's an easily replaceable part. It was mentioned earlier in the thread somewhere.
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

Regarding the mouse in hand wishing for a volume control on the left...

I've got to say I really prefer having the volume control on the right and use a mouse right handed.

My brain is wired that way. Think about it, if screaming feedback or anything similar occurs and triggers a fight or flight, gotta grab the monitor volume now reaction, which hand is going to reach out? Being a "righty" its going to be my right hand so I want the monitor volume there. In fact, that is where my DAC1 is now.

I use a hardware encoder (Steinberg CC121)in my left hand, my mouse in the right so both hands are flying around and working but I know if I've got to grab the volume quickly, being right handed its that hand that is going to reach out. Its just instinct.
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

I had a chiropractor and physio once suggest to me that having my right hand do more than just 'mouse' in the studio was a good idea to reduce fatigue etc on my wrists and shoulder.

by the looks of this unit though, i think it is a good size to be able to be anywhere you need it.
Old 21st March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
You got to be very careful with comments like that.
I made a comment like that which was actually more vague than yours and I ended up being reported, warned and my post was deleted!
Just a heads up!

I think its worth trying since some thought went into it. The knob could rock for all we know in use. If not, its an easy swap out I reckon...

Russell
Old 22nd March 2011
Gear nut

slap this badboy in a 1u rackmount and i'm sure you could double your target market

also, any output specs on the headphone amps? ideally i'm looking for something that could push 800mW/60Ohms...
Old 22nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Wow, I didn't expect to generate so many contrary opinions! It's clear I'm one of the very few here wishing for this, so they clearly made the right decision.

If there is suddenly screaming feedback, I'm reaching for the volume control and/or mute button with my left hand. Every single time. Perhaps it's just how I'm wired, or perhaps I've just grown used to it that way.

In terms of using my right hand for more than just the mouse, I do that constantly. I've got a little Oxygen 8 keyboard on my immediate right that I use frequently as either a sketch pad or for actual final parts, as well as (usually) a notebook and pen. In fact, using my left hand for something (monitor control) helps keep me more balanced, since it gives that half of my body something to do.

Anyways, I'm sure the unit's going to sound fantastic, and I'm really looking forward to it, regardless of where the control is physically located. The fact that it's a desktop unit rather than a rackmount is very, very awesome. I've never found one of those that sound truly great.
Old 22nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by criticaldistance View Post
slap this badboy in a 1u rackmount and i'm sure you could double your target market

also, any output specs on the headphone amps? ideally i'm looking for something that could push 800mW/60Ohms...
The headphone amps will have comparable frequency response, phase response, and distortion specs to the line amps. I did do a bunch of testing using iPhone earbuds and it was possible to drive them to what I considered a loud volume with awesome sound quality. However, assuming my math is correct, they will not be able to drive that much power at that impedance. Your power needs require an amp that can deliver a bit more current.

Markham--if you got a bunch of cables with right angle connectors you could always orient the Gain Train such that the Function Junction was positioned above the Main Gain on your desk. Just thinking aloud here...

Brad
Topic:

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search