Kush Audio Gain Train - Affordable & Transparent Monitor Control.. at last! - Page 15 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Kush Audio Gain Train - Affordable & Transparent Monitor Control.. at last!
Old 8th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio X View Post
5X = $2500?

Have you used the Main Gain? I invite you to put it side by side with the Dangerous --- any Dangerous --- and report back on which one is closer to straight wire. I have massive respect for their stuff, it's built like a tank and they practically own the monitor controller space, I'm a tiny tiny fish in comparison. Side by side, though, for sheer transparency, the little brown box wins.

Goldpoint... the issue there is once you use a cable longer than 3' you start to lose high frequencies, and depending on the impedence of the device downstream you will lose more, and the loss will vary according to where on that stepped attenuator you're sitting; it's inherent to any passive design regardless of the quality of components. It may not be a difference that matters to you, you might not be able to hear it in your room, your source might not even have that info in it to begin with... but it's a loss of fidelity regardless.

There are fantastic alternatives in the price range just above the Main Gain, but I'm talking about devices that are *equal performers*, and if you want one of those you gotta pay.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 11th April 2013
Gear Nut

Greg,

I'd like to know a reality on when they are going to ship.

VK was more than happy to take money 1/28/13 - then inform me a week later that it was 'delayed' a couple of weeks. I'm sitting here almost 3 months later with nothing to show for it. Even an email to your company pushed me to this site and asked me to read your posts, because clearly I have time to do that. Today I was told by VK 2 more weeks. That is what I was told before I left town for work 2 weeks ago.

I have A/B'd your product and decided to purchase it, but what is the point of saying how great your product is if people who have paid for it can't get it.

Thanks,
Howard
Old 11th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Willing View Post
Greg,

I'd like to know a reality on when they are going to ship.

Hi Howard,

I would love to know that too, I truly would. I can't speak to VK and what they have or haven't done, but I do know that they only know what we tell them, and we do our best to make projections based on what others tell us but at the end of the day manufacturing can drive me insane because there are dozens of processes, none of which are under our control timewise, and all of which have to happen in a specific order. Nothing can be skipped, expedited, or made to happen any sooner than it does.

Honestly, if you need something in order to get on with your work and you need a concrete, drop-dead, can't-be-missed deadline, I can't give it to you, even though I would dearly love to. So if you need to cancel the order and get something else I totally understand and I support your right to do so, and I apologize for any aggro you've been experiencing.

If there's anything else I can do for you, don't hesitate to ask, and if you need help dealing with VK in any way just say the word and I'll back you up. They're good people and my guess is they're as unhappy as you at not being able to deliver a product they thought would ship the day after they ordered it from us.

Thanks for being civil, and whatever you decide to do, thanks for giving Kush a shot. We don't take anything for granted, and if you stick with until we're able to deliver this monitor controller we promise you will be more than glad you did, it is a stunning example of sonic accuracy and transient fidelity.

Take care,

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 15th April 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi, Gregory,

I have interest on a simple monitor controller with at least one headphone output for the engineer and exactly the amount of inputs and outputs of the Gain Train, with audio quality in mind (again, just like the Kush controller).

However, unlike the Gain Train, I would need to have a cue control within this gear, to make better use of the talkback functionality and put all the monitoring control together. I can imagine a module with three stereo cue mix inputs, each one with its own output, with volume control and connection to the talkback in the Function Junction module.

Are you guys planning build a module like this someday? Or would it be impossible due to the circuitry design?

Thanks,

Celso Moretti.
Old 15th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Ciao Celso!

Thanks so much for your interest and for the kind words. Unfortunately, we're not planning anything like that, I'd say the future roadmap for this product actually involves simplification rather than increased complexity.

From my perspective as a product designer, the more 'custom tuned' something becomes, the more expensive it becomes due to the addition of features that are used by fewer of the overall user base, so the utility per dollar spent actually goes down in the aggregate.

Sometimes that phenomenon is an acceptable tradeoff, but in the case of the Gain Train it runs counter to the product's identity. The Main Gain / Gain Train is all about doing a few things and doing them extremely well, and coming in at a price that makes it compelling. Mess with any of those variables and it simply becomes another complicated, expensive monitor controller, and we've got enough of those already!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 1st May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head
I got the new Avocet II for a couple of weeks now and I must say that sonically the Main Gain is really in the same league on the analog side. Sonically a great product. I wish everybody the best sucess with their Gain Trains as I didnt have it unfortunaly. I am happy about the new DAC in the Avocet anyway.
Old 29th June 2013 | Show parent
Well I've finally got mine for about a week now, and what a nice analogue controller it is! Superlative sound quality; there is no loss or degradation of whatever is passed through it. Seems like I got more bass, imaging and detailed high end. Even the headphone amps are really something nice.

Great that it has a mono feature, which is important to me.

Of course the rest of the chain is not exactly low end; Apogee Rosetta 800 to GT, K&H O300d + O800 sub.

Very very happy with it.

Old 22nd July 2013
Here for the gear

So?

Any idea when the device will be shipping again?
Old 23rd July 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Genelec dsp with the gain train

You all have me wanting this.
I currently have the mackie big knob, and would like to get this.
I am also upgrading my speakers to the Genelec 8240a, and 7260a.
...of course I'll need a converter to plug into my 7260a from the Gain train.
Any thoughts about this? Does this sound like a good idea to any of you?
I know the Genelecs sound good, and from what every one is saying the gain train sounds great...now If I could successfully combine the 2.
Thanks in advance

Matty
Old 23rd July 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcadamico View Post
I am also upgrading my speakers to the Genelec 8240a, and 7260a.
...of course I'll need a converter to plug into my 7260a from the Gain train.

Matty
they'll combine just fine. i also got genelecs, while they might not be the most neutral set out there, a lot of people, myself included, like them just fine. i'd audition neumann kh310's w/o sub though, if i was you, just your price range.

converterwise forsell mada 2 is where it's at right now.

big if is whether we'll see our preferred monitor controller in our homes this year.

Mr. Scott?
Old 23rd July 2013
Gear Addict

Main gain is discontinued. But you can still find the function junction. Might have to find a used main gain.
Old 24th July 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgen View Post
Main gain is discontinued. But you can still find the function junction. Might have to find a used main gain.
mr. scott said in april "The Main Gain is most certainly not a dead product... although it may be going thru a bit of a rebirth. Ahem."

if it's dead, he failed to acknowledge so in subsequent posts.
where did you get your info?
Old 24th July 2013
Gear Addict

It's no longer listed in their products page, no longer available at Sweetwater and at sound pure they say it has been discontinued by Kush audio
http://www.soundpure.com/p/kush-audi...main-gain/3155
Old 25th July 2013
Here for the gear

this very discussion took place to pages back in this thread and can be attributed to the "rebirth". they answered a support request of mine a month back with spelling mistakes but without any indications towards a dead product.

i'll drop them another mail and clear this up
Old 25th July 2013
Here for the gear

this very discussion took place to pages back in this thread and can be attributed to the "rebirth". they answered a support request of mine a month back with spelling mistakes but without any indications towards a dead product.

i'll drop them another mail and clear this up

UPDATE:

Main Gain is not a dead product, as stated by greg scott in april.

But kush is also unwilling to give an estimate of when it'll be shipping again.
Old 26th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgen View Post
It's no longer listed in their products page...

That's true, and it's also true that dealers aren't listing it anymore... which makes sense, because the old Main Gain & Function Junction are no more.

But there is a rebirth happening, it's just medium-priority for us right now, we have other hardware and software in front of the queue.

From the Q&A section of The House of Kush

Where the heck is the Main Gain & Function Junction?

The Main Gain & Function Junction have temporarily entered a cocoon, where they will re-emerge come the spring (or thereabouts) When they do, the legendary sonics will be exactly the same in every way, but the feature set and cosmetics will be enhanced so the extraordinary value will be even better.

Stay tuned, the next year has a lot of amazing things in store here at The House of Kush.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 29th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
...... the old Main Gain & Function Junction are no more.

But there is a rebirth happening, it's just medium-priority for us right now, we have other hardware and software in front of the queue.

The Main Gain & Function Junction have temporarily entered a cocoon, where they will re-emerge come the spring (or thereabouts) When they do, the legendary sonics will be exactly the same in every way, but the feature set and cosmetics will be enhanced so the extraordinary value will be even better.

Stay tuned, the next year has a lot of amazing things in store here at The House of Kush.

Gregory Scott - ubk
cool!!!

Old 28th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Hi Gregory,
I tried to PM you not sure if you're excepting PMs. I also tried contacting you through [email protected], but it didn't go through. Is there another way of contacting you or could you possibly contact me at [email protected]. Best...

Quote:
That's true, and it's also true that dealers aren't listing it anymore... which makes sense, because the old Main Gain & Function Junction are no more.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 28th August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru

You forgot the "the" in "the house of kush DOT com" :-)

Hit me here.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
You forgot the "the" in "the house of kush DOT com" :-)

Hit me here.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Done, thanks!!
Old 9th September 2013
Here for the gear

Wow! I snagged a used pair right before it was discontinued. I kinda had a feeling something like this was brewing, so I couldn't be happier that I picked it up.
Old 9th September 2013
Lives for gear

I'm gonna wait for the incarnation product.
Old 9th September 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
I'm gonna wait for the incarnation product.
That's a good move. I love my original main gain but it did have to go in for repair and now the paint on my knob is peeling. Sounds great but I think they are ironing out the bugs that the original had and making it a more solid product.
Old 11th July 2014
Here for the gear

yo greg,

when u said spring or thereabouts, what year were u talking about
Old 1st September 2014
Here for the gear

So i pm'ed the ubk, no answer for a month.

i've been making due with a horrid mackie for a year now because of the all the buzz he stirred. needless to say i'm a bit miffed now.
Old 27th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:

Gregory Scott - ubk
What's up?
Also I'm not sure how to connect monitor 2 and 3? Is there a manual online?
Old 28th March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpix74 View Post
Also I'm not sure how to connect monitor 2 and 3? Is there a manual online?

Howdy! You need a "dsub insert snake", Tascam pinout. This will have a male dsub on one end, 4x male XLR and 4x female XLR on the other.

Those 4 pairs of XLR's are for Input/Output pairs 2 & 3.

Here's the Operator's Overview:

Kush Gain Train Operator's Overview PDF's

If you have any questions, hit up Kush Support and Nathan will sort you out post haste.

Thanks!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 1st April 2015
Lives for gear

Thank you Gregory!
📝 Reply