The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EastWest Quantum Leap Ministry of Rock 2
Old 31st December 2010
Gear Head

EastWest Quantum Leap Ministry of Rock 2

Ministry of Rock 2

Listen to the Area 51 demo song, it is all "in the box", sampled instruments. Pretty impressive.

Here is a direct link to the mp3:

http://media.soundsonline.com/mp3/2634_Area-51.mp3

I really liked the first MOR, and it sounds like they have improved a lot more for the new release. The drum kit has new features, such as multiple positional sampling, various mic setups, and repetition samples. In MOR2, you can swap out kit pieces to make a custom kit, which I really missed in MOR. I guess they have looked at some of the competing VST drums on the market and took good notes. MOR2 has three kits: DW, Ludwig, and Gretsch.

The guitars include: Fender Jaguar, Fender Telecaster Thinline, Gibson Les Paul, Baritone, and a Schecter 7-string. They have more basses as well: Music Man Stringray 5-string, Lakland, Music Man Vintage, 61 Fender Jazz, 63 Höfner (the "Beatles bass"), 65 Gibson EB2, 66 Silvertone, 72 Rickenbacker.

Reading through the specs, it is more of a "sequel" title than an upgrade, since the instruments are new.

The first MOR was 20GB, this new one is 55GB. EastWest says on its site that the release date is January 11th, 2011. It goes for the same $355 as MOR.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

so i listened to the demos... I am huge fan of superior drummer... I dont think MOR2 is going to even come close in terms of drum sounds
Especially when ya compare it to the metal foundry (not a metal head by any extent, just rocks for more aggressive music or if you want to see how much RAM you can eat up with a single drum kit

Kind of a bummer, but hell i feel that toontrack set the bar so high!

Guitars didn't seem atrocious (be it i am primarly guitarist/bassist, so guitar VIs arent really of interest to me)
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasindevin View Post
so i listened to the demos... I am huge fan of superior drummer... I dont think MOR2 is going to even come close in terms of drum sounds
Especially when ya compare it to the metal foundry (not a metal head by any extent, just rocks for more aggressive music or if you want to see how much RAM you can eat up with a single drum kit

Kind of a bummer, but hell i feel that toontrack set the bar so high!

Guitars didn't seem atrocious (be it i am primarly guitarist/bassist, so guitar VIs arent really of interest to me)

Toontrack is good but imo Mixosaurus set the bar about 10 times higher than even them.

As far as MOR2 they kits seem to sound better than MOR1 but I am not too fond of the snares. Tended to have that real boxy carboard pop a lot of libraries tend to have including a lot Toontrack stuff.
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Addict

mixosaurus seems pretty bad ass, though at more than triple the retail price might be out the realm of possibility for many (especially with the nice endorsements s2.0 is getting left and right - and the random $150 sale price that pops up every once in while)

I totally agree on the snares, hell even the rest of the kit is pretty unimpressive

and I feel like most any solid musician with some guitar experience could throw a guitar in drop D and get the same if not better results

...EW just put out hollywood brass already! haha
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Head

Of course, there are plenty of more robust drum kit options on the market. At least the MOR2 drums are still an improvement over MOR, and are usable for some projects. I look at it as one more set of sounds with different processing and mixing that may fit well in a project one day.

Yes, a guitarist could do more lifelike riffs and solos with a real guitar, but a producer or composer who has no guitar skills or just wants to drop in a few guitar phrases in a project, MOR/MOR2 provides some already processed, and well-recorded sounds.

I have found the bass sounds the most useful in MOR. A lot of times bass does not get the same detailed treatment as recording a guitar does, and producers do not bother with getting a bass player and building a sophisticated bass rig, so they just drop in a few VST bass lines.

Looking at some of the interviews and articles about EWQL products, it seems like they are not used as much by rock bands to simulate a rock band instrument, but by composers (film, television, games) who want to drop these sounds into an arrangement. With hectic production rates and deadlines in the soundtrack/score industry, it is understandable that composers, who may not be virtuosos in every instrument they simulate and have no time or budget for session musicians, decide to use a broad variety of VST instruments. EWQL has a pretty good line of titles for this specific market.

Hollywood strings IS very impressive, so who knows, maybe EWQL will tackle a brass title, too?
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Addict

umm yeah

yeah hollywood brass has already been recorded - supposedly in the editing and programming phase (i am sure a looooong one) - check out the EW forums for more details -- i do believe they are planning a full Hollywood symphonic orchestra (so brass, woodwinds and percussion in addition to the strings)

I completely understand it is geared towards producers and composers lacking said skills/equipment, I just felt it sounded pretty damn weak for its focus
(I namely work as a composer, so finding swanky VIs is of the essence - hell anything that can save some time)

Can't say i'm the biggest fan of the play engine either, definitley better than it was, but i still feel kontakt is just much better (at least a bit more stable in that past few years)

I mean i am sure EWQL could have done much worse, but I would hope for a bit better (who knows they might release some baller demos pretty soon and i'll stop negatively speculating... but would it really be GS without unheeded negativity? )
Old 20th February 2011
Here for the gear

If you're interested I've just made a song with new MOR2...

Let me GO!

also on youtube... Let me GO!

I'm just working on another one...

Marco.
Old 1st March 2011
Here for the gear

Just uploaded another one Damned Soul

on youtube: Damned Soul

Marco.
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear
Seems to me that they should have a special uipgrade price for those that purchased the original MOR. Especially since there were some issues in that the software contains at least one guitar that I remember has poor intonation. (I haven't used it for a while since buying Electri6ity, SD 2, and Trillian.)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search