The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chainr - App to make recalls Desktop Synthesizers
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Head

Lightbulb Chainr - App to make recalls

Hey GearSlutz!

I am very proud to announce an iPhone app called Chainr. By far the best way to make a recall!

App Store link: Chainr voor iPhone, iPod touch en iPad in de iTunes App Store

Chainr is a tool to help you remember multiple actions. And it captures each action in a way that is best suited for it. A Chain can consist of text, audio recordings, pictures, videos and/or a GPS location. This way you create a Chain of events you want to remember or share. You can view the entire Chain like a multimedia, personalized slide show that can present slides of different types.
One of the cool features of Chainr is the possibility to share your Chains with friends, family and colleagues. So if the guitar player wants to use that super-fat-sound you made, you share your Chain with him.

www.chainr.com

----------------------------------------
a little history…

I was working in my RedHouse studio last year and I needed a better solution to make recalls when I was working on projects. I had all these paper recall sheets for every sound I recorded and thought of a cool iPhone App that could help me. This whole app thing got a lot bigger than I expected because it can do so much more after I added a few cool extra's!

But I want you to know that I designed it with all GearSlutz in my mind. The engineers that work in studio's making sounds with instruments and gear. Creating a "signal chain" with specific settings and/or placement. And the need to quickly save what you've done right then and there, on a mobile device. Chainr can do this better than any other app in the App Store!

There is much more to tell… We are working on a cloud service that will make it possible to share Chains over internet, embed Chains in your blog and make backups of your content.
And I am working my ass off to get it all done asap! We are a just a very small team of people working for the love of this app. Stay tuned and check www.chainr.com regularly for updates.

----------------------------------------
I have been waiting for this day a long time.. and the GearSlutz are the first to know about the app.

Check it out, spread the word, and let me know what you think.
Enjoy!
Gijs
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

Here I made an example:

YouTube - Chainr Example - Guitar sound Recall
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Gijs

Congrats I just went and brought it and I am very pleased so far, this will come in very useful for a lot of things, I wish there was a way to back it up somehow I would hate to put the work into making the chains then have the iphone break or get lost or whatever and lose all the work, I like the idea of the cloud system this could solve that problem and more, if you need any help beta testing that then I would love to help, just PM me.

Best
Old 1st January 2011
t_d
Lives for gear

this looks great, I'm going to check it out for sure.

congratulations!
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Cool!

This could also be nice for documenting DIY builds or Instructables.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

I just bought this app. I'm really loving having the ability to document events or processes easily with text, audio, video, pics, and maps all in one place! My phone is always with me. This seems killer.

One feature request that would be FANTASTIC would be the ability to export/e-mail a video file of the currently implemented kind of powerpoint video playback of a chain. This could make a killer way to upload quick instructions for friends/clients/colleagues without iphones. It would be a great way to upload quick youtube instructions or effects "recipes" to youtube. Maybe a built in youtube upload feature could happen. Excellent work so far. It's very useful as is!
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Head

Hee guy's.
Big smile on my face!! Thanks for your positive reactions.

- About sharing/e-mailing over internet/3G:
We are working on a solution for that. Prospect that it should be working in 2/3 months. Stay tuned!

thnx!

@bounce
can I use your quote on my Twitter channel?
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs View Post

@bounce
can I use your quote on my Twitter channel?
Feel free. Good stuff.
Old 2nd January 2011
Gear Head

@bounce. Thnx!
Old 3rd January 2011
Gear Head

Hey Guys

If you know a feature that you would like to add, please let me know and we can maybe implement it in a future update.

thnx!
Old 4th January 2011
Lives for gear

Gonna release it for Android? That would be sick.
Old 4th January 2011
Gear Head

jep! Android version is defenately coming.
Can't say when it will be launched, but it is in the making!
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Hey Guys

If you know a feature that you would like to add, please let me know and we can maybe implement it in a future update.

thnx!

Just bought the app and love it - exactly what I needed!

Here are my suggestions:

Audio Playback Window - It'd be great if it had a Scrubber bar with Playhead (like in the iPod window) to be able to get fast to a specific part of a recording. A must with longer recordings IMO

Photo window - please add a Zoom function just like in built-in Photo viewer.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoss View Post
Just bought the app and love it - exactly what I needed!

Here are my suggestions:

Audio Playback Window - It'd be great if it had a Scrubber bar with Playhead (like in the iPod window) to be able to get fast to a specific part of a recording. A must with longer recordings IMO

Photo window - please add a Zoom function just like in built-in Photo viewer.
Hello kaoss,
Glad you like it!
thnx for your reply.

re - Audio Playback Window
Surely we thought about that. But the viewer already moves sideways when you swipe, so it has to be done with knobs, wich is half the fun. I have a solution for individual events that will come in future updates. Would that do the trick for you?

re -Photo window
is on the list! So yes, that will come.
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
re - Audio Playback Window
Surely we thought about that. But the viewer already moves sideways when you swipe, so it has to be done with knobs, wich is half the fun. I have a solution for individual events that will come in future updates. Would that do the trick for you?
Of course it would.
But implementing this in the viewer would make using the app more intuitive and faster.
How about moving the existing progress bar lower and use it to scrub audio, while sliding finger on the upper portion of the screen would move it to next/previous window.

It'd be also great to have ability to access text editing from the viewer.
Old 6th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoss View Post
How about moving the existing progress bar lower and use it to scrub audio, while sliding finger on the upper portion of the screen would move it to next/previous window.

It'd be also great to have ability to access text editing from the viewer.
aha..
Thanks kaoss for sharing your thoughts. We'll get back to the lab and figure this one out!

Keep em coming people!
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Brilliant intelligent app

Just bought it and used it this morning to remember a patch on my Doepfer Dark Energy, combined with the Moog CP251 - both of which have no recall.

So, I took photos of the knob layout and patch cords, then recorded audio of the patch sound, then tweaked a few knobs in realtime and spoke aloud what it waas that I was tweaking.

Brilliant, so easy to save your patches, always have your phone with you.

I am sure I will use it for non-audio uses too.

I second the suggestion to have some sort of slider for audio files as if they are lengthy it would be quite cumbersome to have to wait to reach the point you are looking for and would take away from the usefulness of a brilliant (did I mention brilliant yet? ) app.

Congrats.

Simon. thumbsup
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

It is a smart idea!

- c
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Head

Good to hear you like it!

About the audio player: we have put a lot of thought into this app, and have carefully decided what we would do and not do. I too believe that the simplicity of Chainr help it perform well in all situations.
I think that longer recordings can be split up in shorter bits in most situations. And will eliminate the need to scrub the audio and make it a cleaner interface plus making it easier to navigate.

But we keep our ears open to the needs and wishes of our users. It would be great if we can find an elegant solution, and we will consider this in future updates.

thnx sooo much for your kind replies!
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Head

Chainr has a Facebook page!
Follow us there if you want, or continue the conversation.

ChainrApp | Facebook

thnx!
Old 14th January 2011
Here for the gear

beats the recall sheets & my wife likes it too..

Gijs, what an awesome app,..

Very useful, definitely beats the flamin' recall sheets.

Anyway, guess what?? The wife loves your app too...
She uses it to record our 1y old's every move as in sort of a journal/diary with comments and what not!!
Guess you didn't think of that when you made this app!!!

Would be good when you got the cloud happening in the future but already good.
Thanx,
Ron

Last edited by ronwhitebridge; 14th January 2011 at 12:36 AM.. Reason: Sounded like my wife is on drugs
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Head

Exclamation Chainr is FREE

Hello everybody!

Just wanted to let you know that Chainr is FREE for limited time.
Go check it out!

thnx
G
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello everybody!

Go check it out!

thnx
G
Very cool of you. I'm glad I bought this the other day and hope you make some decent money out of your work - this is a great little app!

Btw, would it be possible to implement a way to export your chains to some sort of media file for viewing (and safekeeping) on the computer in a future version? Possibly by releasing a Chainr computer application?

Thanks!
Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by borg64 View Post
Btw, would it be possible to implement a way to export your chains to some sort of media file for viewing (and safekeeping) on the computer in a future version? Possibly by releasing a Chainr computer application?
I'd like to second this. it'd be great to be able to save all Chainr files in the same folder with DAW session.
I personally like the way it's done in McDSP's Retro Recorder - transfer of individual files btw iPhone and computer via Wi-Fi.
Old 25th January 2011
Gear Head

Smile

Hey guy's
thanks for your support!

Yes. Sync functionality with desktop app (to store and view) is in future planning.

First sharing on/via internet. Desktop sync is next. (and we'll try to squeeze an Android version inbetween)
Pleasse be patient! work in progress ... it's getting better, I promise you!
thumbsup

big ups!
Old 31st January 2011
Here for the gear

This is very, very promising. With a cloud(function) this could get big.

Untill that time I'm playing around with it.

Btw, for how much longer will the app be free? I think I got some other people who'd like to check it out.
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

My vote on the media file export is to have the file type not be proprietary to chainr. It would be excellent if there were a way to export an mpeg4 or quicktime movie file from the playback in chainr. This way you could send the media file to anyone, regardless of their personal phone type or whatever, including upload to youtube or instructables.com. You could always tag "Created with CHAINR" as a tagline at the end of the video if needed :-)
Old 1st February 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
My vote on the media file export is to have the file type not be proprietary to chainr. It would be excellent if there were a way to export an mpeg4 or quicktime movie file from the playback in chainr. This way you could send the media file to anyone, regardless of their personal phone type or whatever, including upload to youtube or instructables.com. You could always tag "Created with CHAINR" as a tagline at the end of the video if needed :-)
This was exactly my thought as well. All I need is to be able to export a bunch of files (jpg mp4 mp3 txt...) so that i can save them with my DAW session.

Edit: there's a workaround for this for now
Old 1st February 2011
Gear Maniac

I really like this app
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello everybody!

Go check it out!

thnx
G
Despite the low price I paid for Chainr, it's a bit of a PITA to realise that if I hadn't have supported the developer by buying it, and had waited a few more days, then it would have been free. tutt

Added to the growing list of burnt by software marketing.

Still like the app though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search