The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chainr - App to make recalls Desktop Synthesizers
Old 2nd February 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
My vote on the media file export is to have the file type not be proprietary to chainr. It would be excellent if there were a way to export an mpeg4 or quicktime movie file from the playback in chainr. This way you could send the media file to anyone, regardless of their personal phone type or whatever, including upload to youtube or instructables.com. You could always tag "Created with CHAINR" as a tagline at the end of the video if needed :-)
We are working on it!

1. First on the list: the release of a "cloud" function that makes it easy to share your Chain over internet. (and the posibility to embed a Chain on Internet, just like YouTube)
2. Then right after that: A desktop app that makes backing up a breeze and allows you to see the Chain on your computer (or any computer for that matter)

Please be patient.
The cloud will be ready beginning of March.
Stay tuned, we got a lot more coming.

Thanks for all the positive reactions!

Last edited by Gijs; 2nd February 2011 at 01:47 AM.. Reason: not complete
Old 19th February 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
My vote on the media file export is to have the file type not be proprietary to chainr. It would be excellent if there were a way to export an mpeg4 or quicktime movie file from the playback in chainr. This way you could send the media file to anyone, regardless of their personal phone type or whatever, including upload to youtube or instructables.com. You could always tag "Created with CHAINR" as a tagline at the end of the video if needed :-)
I've been using a workaround for this. Here's what you have to do:
1/ sync your iphone with iTunes (iTunes will create a backup file on your computer's drive)
2/ use iPhone Backup Extractor utility to extract Chainr media files.

Somewhere among the extracted files you'll find a folder for each chain that contains all individual media files i.e. full size photos, mp4 movies etc.

You can download the extractor at supercrazyawesome.com

. . .
Old 19th February 2011
Gear Head

wow Kaos, you smart ...
Hacking the private documents folder....

We're working really hard to have a better way. We do understand the need for archiving and desktop use. We will give our users the rigth solution. That's a promise!!!!!!!!!!!

First an online solution, than desktop. We're just a small team, so first things first!

thnx!
Old 13th June 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs View Post
We're working really hard to have a better way. We do understand the need for archiving and desktop use. We will give our users the rigth solution. That's a promise!!!!!!!!!!!
or you could make Chainr compatible with File Sharing in iTunes - like FourTrack, TouchOSC, Vimeo, Kindle and other apps.
Old 14th June 2011
Gear Head

Hello Kaos,
I see where your coming from, but we really think we have a better solution!

Would love to hear from you what you would use the seperate files for. The whole concept of Chainr is to link/keep multimedia information together to play in 1 player.

Can I send you a PM? So we will not clutter this thread?
Love to hear your feedback.
thnx
G
Old 16th June 2011
Gear Head

Dear Slutz.

We are now very close to next release. We have build the Chainr Cloud. It is ready but needs some more testing and we need you to help us. We are looking for (experienced) users of the Chainr App to help us test our new Cloud services.
Please follow this link: https://spreadsheets0.google.com/spr...aUNVUEFVVEE6MQ

Super Thanks!
Old 24th June 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Can I send you a PM?
of course, go ahead
Old 25th July 2011
t_d
Lives for gear

hi. i've really gotten used to using Chainr to store all of the recall settings for my mastering chain via photographs.

one thing that bothers me about the app is when you take a photo in portrait mode with the iphone the image appears at a nice, full-screen size... but when you play back your chain the vertical images are repositioned into the landscape-only playback mode of the chain.. thus, a lot smaller, and harder to read the settings on the gear.

is it possible to put in a vertical/portrait playback option for chains?

thanks! great app, though!!! i use it every day.
Old 25th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
hi. i've really gotten used to using Chainr to store all of the recall settings for my mastering chain via photographs.

one thing that bothers me about the app is when you take a photo in portrait mode with the iphone the image appears at a nice, full-screen size... but when you play back your chain the vertical images are repositioned into the landscape-only playback mode of the chain.. thus, a lot smaller, and harder to read the settings on the gear.

is it possible to put in a vertical/portrait playback option for chains?

thanks! great app, though!!! i use it every day.
Agreed on all accounts. I also use Chainr pretty much exclusively to store/recall hardware settings and jot down mix notes, and I think this app is great. But the strange rotation of in-slide pictures is somewhat annoying.

By the way, I would love a zooming feature - pinch style - like the one in the built-in Picture library.
Old 25th July 2011
t_d
Lives for gear

yes, as borg said: zoom feature is essential to see those knob settings sometimes.. due to a bad photo taken in a low-light studio!
Old 26th July 2011
Gear Head

Hey Taylor an Borg,

I am happy to say that a new release is on it's way (already submitted to Apple, we're waiting for review) wich will addres 1 of your comments: To zoom individual pictures. All Events will have a separate view where you can view the content and zoom if necessary.

About the landscape/portrait thing: I understand your inconvenience and will try to figure out a better way, but why wouldn't you take all pictures in landscape mode? That solves the problem right? That's what I do anyway. Love to hear your thoughts on this.

Comming up is a major upgrade, you can read more about it on Chainr - a new kind of app. We're very excited! End of next month there will be a webplayer available wich allows Chains to be played back in any browser. Much more to come!

Thanks for your comments, always good to hear from our users.

big ups!
G
Old 26th July 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Taylor an Borg,

I am happy to say that a new release is on it's way (already submitted to Apple, we're waiting for review) wich will addres 1 of your comments: To zoom individual pictures. All Events will have a separate view where you can view the content and zoom if necessary.

About the landscape/portrait thing: I understand your inconvenience and will try to figure out a better way, but why wouldn't you take all pictures in landscape mode? That solves the problem right? That's what I do anyway. Love to hear your thoughts on this.

Comming up is a major upgrade, you can read more about it on Chainr - a new kind of app. We're very excited! End of next month there will be a webplayer available wich allows Chains to be played back in any browser. Much more to come!

Thanks for your comments, always good to hear from our users.

big ups!
G
Great news! The zoom feature will make this pretty much perfect for me.

Regarding landscape/portrain orientation, I don't know how and why I keep messing it up, but I do. I try to always take landscape shots, but more than occasionally I end up with something rotated the wrong way when inside the Chainr slide.

Many thanks for your work Gijs, looking forward to the update!

Sven
Old 26th July 2011
Gear Head

Maybe I will make an "auto-rotate" setting that you can turn on or off.
Will put this on the list.

thnx!
G
Old 26th July 2011
t_d
Lives for gear

looking forward to the update... zoom will definitely help cure the rotation/portrait issue...

i tend to take vertical pictures because a lot of my gear knobs are vertically oriented.. such as channel strips and such...
Old 8th August 2011
Gear Head

Hello Everybody!

Chainr v 2.0 available in the App Store: Chainr for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello Everybody!

Chainr v 2.0 available in the App Store: Chainr for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Hey Gijs!

Many thanks for the update, it's downloaded in iTunes but not yet sync'd to the phone. I just wanted to make sure - I won't lose my previous Chainr projects from updating, right?

Sorry, I have a slight case of updateophobia.

Sven
Old 9th August 2011
Gear Head

Hee Sven,

I know what you mean.. believe me...
I personally have tested this many times, and I can tell you it is save.

You will have all your Chains just like before, and they are ready to be sent around the world (if you may wish so) using our Chainr Cloud.

Please note: Our new Chainr Cloud is kicking ass, indeed! But Chainr still works perfectly without it, just like before, but better
Old 5th January 2012
t_d
Lives for gear

hi.. i continue to use Chainr every day to document my mastering workflow... and have one feature request that would save a bit of nuissance..

can you have the camera remember the last-used settings for FLASH?

i shoot all of my hardware without flash, because the flash erases most traces of lit LEDs on the gear and otherwise gives a nasty glare... so i have to remember to turn it off before every picture..

the iphone's camera app by default keeps the flash on a last-used setting.. so i hope you could implement the same functionality in Chainr.

thanks for listening!
Old 6th January 2012
Gear Head

hey T-D,

Thank you for pointing this out! I will defenately put this on the list for the next update.
Old 6th January 2012
t_d
Lives for gear

great great thanks!
Old 10th January 2012
Lives for gear

I just started working with app and I really love it. I'm actually using it for songwriting though and as a sketchpad to keep all my ideas documented as they develop, which helps prevent data sprawl. In the last few days I've used it to log cool guitar sounds and ideas with pics of amp and pedals settings and guitar choices, all things that are nice to have a record of when I come back to an idea much later.

My feature request would be a control panel applet that allows a simple set and forget control for the gating on the audio recorder (it often makes things very choppy when recording audio at lower levels, ie: acoustic guitar that's softer) and also perhaps a bit range/compression selection - low, medium and high or the like. I get the impression it's a pretty compressed format, so having some degree of choice might be nice.

So far it's extremely useful though and I really appreciate all of the thought that's clearly gone into it. Great tool.

Thanks!
Old 11th January 2012
Gear Head

Hey Lee,
Thanks for your kind words. It's just great to hear when Chainr finds a happy user!

re Gate issue: I haven't heard about this before (or heard it myself). We have not made a gate on the input ourselves so maybe Apple is doing some tricky stuff. Interesting issue, I will get into this. What iDevice are you using Chainr on?

re Audio compression: yes we do compress the audio file to make sharing over internet not a waiting-for-upload game. We are working on a pay model, so that heavy users can set video and audio quality themselves. I am really sorry for now, but this issue will be better in the future.

I would love to ask you a question: Would you be willing to pay a small amount for (private) sharing (now it is only public) and a webplayer that can play your Chain in any webbrowser (like YouTube)?
We must find a way to pay for all the costs...

big ups!
Old 11th January 2012
installing now. I would just like to say THANK YOU since it's free at the moment I can at least send my gratitude...
Will chime in when Iv'e put it to the test...
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Lee,
Thanks for your kind words. It's just great to hear when Chainr finds a happy user!

re Gate issue: I haven't heard about this before (or heard it myself). We have not made a gate on the input ourselves so maybe Apple is doing some tricky stuff. Interesting issue, I will get into this. What iDevice are you using Chainr on?

re Audio compression: yes we do compress the audio file to make sharing over internet not a waiting-for-upload game. We are working on a pay model, so that heavy users can set video and audio quality themselves. I am really sorry for now, but this issue will be better in the future.

I would love to ask you a question: Would you be willing to pay a small amount for (private) sharing (now it is only public) and a webplayer that can play your Chain in any webbrowser (like YouTube)?
We must find a way to pay for all the costs...

big ups!
Thanks so much for the response.

Re: Gate - It seems to be mostly at the start of a recording and typically when I talk a bit and talk about what I'm about to record, then once the level goes up a bit it seems to subside. I assumed it was a threshhold-based gate. I'm happy to send a chain over if that helps you get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Using an iPhone 4s with current OS.

Re: compression - Not a big issue really as I'm using it for a sketchpad, it would be nice to have the option. For my purposes it will work.

Re: a payment based model, I'd be happy to pay more upfront, of course.

Would you model be monthly fee based or just more all around? I supposed how much I'd be willing to pay would depend on the range of services offered and how many tasks it covered for me.

Re: sharing, I could imagine working with writing partners/producers and using it to flesh out songs, parts and arrangements.

It'd be cool if there was a way for folks to share chains and also be able to dynamically update or sync so that the data sharing would be theoretically large on the first download and then the chains would append as they were updated on both sides of the share. Maybe Chainr would push a notification that a new addition was made to "Chain name" by "Share user." The back and forth would be pretty transparent and not require extra texts, etc...

Re: web-based player - Video is less/not important to me personally, so the iPhone/iPad seems sufficient for my simple playback needs. I think that would be likely for the singer/songwriter based folks who use this.

Lastly, one of the things I really like about the app that it preserves the process in a linear way that's kind of been lost as tech moves forward. When folks used to write novels you could see typed pages and corrections and notes and the loss of that documentation is a shame for those who are interested in the process of creation. Chainr seems to offer an interesting way to preserve process process for the songwriter in a unique way.

I will now stop rambling.

Thanks for the good work.
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Head

@Deaz!
thnx! Your gratitude is my reward. Ping me when you've put it to the test. Always love to hear what people have to say.

@Lee
Re: Gate. I love to hear what you describe. Can you upload a sample to our cloud? I'm afraid that this is "standard behavior" of Apple hard/software and that we have to deal with it. Is it something that you would say should be improved. Or is it ok the way it is?

Re: Compression. Great to hear. I will keep this functionality on the feature-request list. So we can deal with it when other stuff is fixed.

Re: Sharing. Yes, collaboration on a Chain and syncing content is exactly what we have in mind for the near future. That is on my list for a year now!

Re: Web-player. Wait till you SEE the web-player….. you slutz gonna absolutely love it! It's the ultimate connection with the rest of the world!

lastly… wow, what a beautiful way to say it. Yes, that is exactly what Chainr is all about. Being able to time-lapse record a creation, and capture every step with the best possible tool; mic, pencil, camera or the map, or any combination!
When we were prototyping it was called "Serial Recall". It is what we have brains for. Not to remember things. But to keep those memories in the right order. And be able to repeat the steps if nesecary. And Chainr let's you easily share it.

This is what I had in mind and it is fantastic cool to see other people enjoy the same thought. I really hope we can make this financial viable so we can keep it all working.

Your words have made me want to work even harder. I'll keep you posted. Now I will stop rambling
thank you guys!
G
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search