The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Head

In my opinion Roundtone can sound really really good.
But it's easy to go crazy and "overprocess" everything.
I think it's a great tape emu, especially on really harsh sounds or poor sounding takes. It can sound similiar to a "pro reel to reel" or like a "cassette recorder"

I like to "layer" different saturations in a very subtle way.

Usually i used to place an McDSP AC2 and an URS Saturation as the first two insert on my drums.
A veeeery little saturation added by both...so it's hard to say if there's something or not on the inserts

This worked very well on drums.

Now for certain tasks, i prefer Roundtone over the AC2, especially on "poppy" drums, since ac2 compress a little more and has more snap.

If you do this well, you do the mix and, if at the very end, you turn off the saturation plugs, your mix will sound like a pig f*rting around heh

So, imho, the key is to use it in a very subtle way. It adds a very nice "vibe" to almost everything.
Old 13th January 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
Strange, I felt the complete opposite. For single tracks I prefer the ToneBoosters Ferrox plug ( also amazing ) But I absolutely loved this one on the 2bus. Just the right amount of gluey goodnessheh

Then I must investigate further.... thanks for the heads up thumbsup

...and also these ToneBoosters plugins I keep hearing about ...
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Okay...I'm in....I can only read about 500 positive comments without buying......AND IT'S ONLY TEN BUCKS....YAAAAAAY
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Maniac

SOoooo....how Fulltone and Roundtone work together? When is Fulltone going to be out and how much is it going to cost?
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear
Grabbed it. Awaiting download.
Old 13th January 2011
Here for the gear

New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone"

Just downloaded this plugin, has anyone had trouble loading it up in their DAW using Windows (Vista in particular)...?
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
SOoooo....how Fulltone and Roundtone work together? When is Fulltone going to be out and how much is it going to cost?
Fulltone (probably "Fultone") doesn't affect dynamics. It generates dynamic sets of harmonics and is useful to "fill" the spectrum to give punch, strength, air, and place the track in the mix.
What we are going to do in teh studio is: Fultone to enhance the spectral content of the track (where needed, of course) and then "print to tape".

The simplest test: download the audio demo from the thread about Fultone, process dry and wet through tape and check. It should sound great
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Addict

sorry to bother you cumpà
but any news or date for the next release??

denghiu'

thanks
Old 13th January 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxbeats08 View Post
Just downloaded this plugin, has anyone had trouble loading it up in their DAW using Windows (Vista in particular)...?

Yeah I had some issues too... but I've downloaded some missing .dll it was asking and no problem. I think it was msvcp71.dll

After putting that in windows/system32 it was solved.
Old 13th January 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxbeats08 View Post
Im on win 7 64bit, cubase 5 64bit, still not working for me, just wont show up for me. Really looking forward to using it when i have this issue resolved though!
Graham
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fradoca View Post
sorry to bother you cumpà
but any news or date for the next release??
denghiu'
thanks
It should be tested and ready for distribution before the end of this month.
Heavy works in our studio (rebuilding acoustics and computer network) will stop us next week (from jan 15th to sun 23rd, an announcement tomorrow on the website) so I think we are not going to be faster than that...
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
It should be tested and ready for distribution before the end of this month.
Heavy works in our studio (rebuilding acoustics and computer network) will stop us next week (from jan 15th to sun 23rd, an announcement tomorrow on the website) so I think we are not going to be faster than that...
Enough time to do some beta testing by... your beta testers
Old 14th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
Enough time to do some beta testing by... your beta testers
+1
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Still in "alpha" testing... while the algorithm is super-tested and is strong, that "Tape Machine" mode involved synchronization and more, so it needs a bit more attention, and on several systems.
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

We are going to stop from saturday jan 15th to sunday 23rd.

Please consider that orders, that can still be placed through the website, will be processed on monday 24th!
Date of order will be of reference for special offers (like Roundtone), anyway.
Feedback can be slow, too.

We are restructuring our offices and recording studio.

Orders sent today will be processed until midnight (Rome time zone)
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

This thread has convinced me that 30 years from now everyone will be dying for that amazing new plugin that simulates the classic aliasing we all hold so dear to our hearts. I can hear it now, "OMG this thing just sounds digital!" heh

Seriously though the developer gets immense respect from me for responding to individual questions, etc. in this thread and, more importantly, undertaking fairly major revisions to satisfy the public.

And yea I know aliasing isn't good, but I do find the sudden trending of 'aliasing concerns' a teeny bit suspicious. Not that I'm saying it isn't an important factor; it's more about keeping the problem in perspective (which I don't even have the experience to do myself after all this..).
Old 14th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
Yeah I had some issues too... but I've downloaded some missing .dll it was asking and no problem. I think it was msvcp71.dll

After putting that in windows/system32 it was solved.
could you explain exactly how you did it and where you DL the. dll file thanks...
Old 14th January 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

\

msvcp71.dll free download - DLL-files.com

and the same instructions as above... put in Win system32 dir

Hope it helps
Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eloheim View Post
And yea I know aliasing isn't good, but I do find the sudden trending of 'aliasing concerns' a teeny bit suspicious. Not that I'm saying it isn't an important factor; it's more about keeping the problem in perspective (which I don't even have the experience to do myself after all this..).
That's why it's cool that quintosardo is implementing the oversampling as an option instead of making it default. You can turn it on and off to see if it makes a difference in the big picture. I'd probably just use it on a few loud/prominent elements in the mix.
Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear
I actually prefer Roundtone on tracks over R2R. R2R still takes the cake on the 2bus. Great plugin! Far less effect-sounding than Nomad's (which is neat, too).
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Still developing and testing.

This is a preview of the new version. Now it is a set of 4 multitrack tape machines.

Linking functions:

- standalone stereo/mono machine (own set of parameters, own bypass)
- mono/stereo tracks of Machine A/B/C/D (the same parameters for the whole machine/set of instances)
- standalone stereo/mono machine, linked to Machine A/B/C/D (bypassed together with a machine, but independent parameters)
o appena posso aspettare per la mia copia.
Io lo uso su tutti i miei progetti
Old 18th January 2011
Lives for gear

Icons got control over your post

New oversampling is sounding great on export, in the meanwhile. Not a teaser, just going slowly this week.
Old 20th January 2011
Gear Head

Bought it an hour ago,still waiting for the download link.
can't wait to give it a try,how long does it take usually until it arrives?
Old 20th January 2011
Gear Maniac

According to their site they are closed from the 15th to 23rd and will be open on the 24th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fradoca View Post
quanto ci vuole per avere per avere il link di download?
ho gia pagato

how long does it take to get the download link?
i've already paid

thanks
Old 20th January 2011
Lives for gear

Any updates re the Mac version?
Old 20th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
According to their site they are closed from the 15th to 23rd and will be open on the 24th.
Nooooooo,haven't seen that,shame but I'll wait.
Old 20th January 2011
Gear Head

I want to echo what others have said: The effect is subtle but noticable, and very nice.

But... for me, it doesn't work on every track. That doesn't bother me in the least. I haven't even bothered to try to trace why it doesn't work on some material, because it may be just a personal preference kind of thing.

I really like this plug-in.
Old 23rd January 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you, Reverend.

Everything is fine, we completed our works. Pending licenses will be sent tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

The new version is in alpha testing, still a pair of days and it should go through a fast beta testing.

In the meanwhile, a new band and a new song went "on tape" (and through "Fulltone", too):

Plootoh -> "Idra"

(the master has been pushed a bit hard, anyway )
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Addict

hey Quintosardo,
I'm excited to check this out but usually I use Mac. I would have use for windows on occasion I suppose. If I buy the Windows version is it a separate purchase for the mac when it comes out?
Not that that would be too much money or anything, just being pragmatic. Thanks I'm excited to check this out. What's the epa on the mac version?
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear

No problem at all, you DON'T have to pay two times.
Normally we'll send the requested version (Win or Mac), but if you got Win version, you can just ask for the Mac version and get it for free (when it will be available).

It is the first official porting to Mac, so I'm not so sure about release time. Trying to get it for the first half of february (maybe I'd said before, but the software evolved from that version and the Mac version will be the new multitrack one, directly).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search