The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Oversampling prevents even the lowest aliasing, in this tape effect heh

Just set it "auto" (on export) for cpu saving.
is there available a new roundtone version with aliasiang option???
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fradoca View Post
is there available a new roundtone version with aliasiang option???
Still developing and testing.

This is a preview of the new version. Now it is a set of 4 multitrack tape machines.

Linking functions:

- standalone stereo/mono machine (own set of parameters, own bypass)
- mono/stereo tracks of Machine A/B/C/D (the same parameters for the whole machine/set of instances)
- standalone stereo/mono machine, linked to Machine A/B/C/D (bypassed together with a machine, but independent parameters)
Old 11th January 2011
Wooohooo!
Old 11th January 2011
Here for the gear

Looking good!
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Talking

Jizz in my pants!

Peace
Illumination
Old 11th January 2011
Looks good. Can you tell us about the different tape machines?

/Jon
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Looks very promising - fine new features and even a mix knob...!

Wow

::
Mads
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

A/B/C/D Tape Machines are not different kind of machines. Different sounds, models, references to hardware are inside the algorithms.

Machines A/B/C/D are defined to link several instances of the "device" in your project.

An example.

- a simple rock project: drums, bass, guitar, voice. We want it recorded on tape.
- Bassdrum, snaredrum, HiHat, Tom1, Tom2, Tom3: 6 mono instances of Roundtone
- Panoramics: a stereo instance of Roundtone
- Parallel, hypercompressed drums parallel submix: a stereo instance of Roundtone
- Guitar (doubled?): stereo instance of Roundtone
- Voice with widening effect: stereo instance of Roundtone
- Send effects: 1 delay, two reverbs: 3 stereo instances

Sum up to 6 mono instances + 7 stereo instances.

We want to evaluate how the "tape" acts on the sound and how hard we are pushing the effect.

Define:
- bassdrum, snaredrum, hh, toms instances: Machine A (they all share the same set of parameters. Move a knob on one instance, the whole set of instances under Machine A will move)
- drums submix: Linked to A

Now we can setup the sound of the whole drukmset from any instance. Drums submix has a separate set of parameters (we want a different treatment).
Lets' pick one instance from the drumset, snare: bypass it to hear the whole drumset processed with the snare unprocessed; bypass Machine A to hear the whole drumset unprocessed.

Define:
- Guitar: Standalone
- Bass: Standalone
- Voice: Standalone

Delay: Machine B
Reverb1: Machine B
Reverb2: Machine B

All send effects are processed the same. Bypass the whole Machine B from any instance above to hear the effects dry.

Define:
- Main bus: Machine C
- Stereo headphones bus: Machine C

You can bypass monitors and mixing headphones at the same time. They share the same set of parameters.

Does it make sense?
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Monotonous murmur: "when-when-i-when-when.. OSX?"
Old 11th January 2011
Quote:
A/B/C/D Tape Machines are not different kind of machines. Different sounds, models, references to hardware are inside the algorithms.

Machines A/B/C/D are defined to link several instances of the "device" in your project.

An example.

- a simple rock project: drums, bass, guitar, voice. We want it recorded on tape.
- Bassdrum, snaredrum, HiHat, Tom1, Tom2, Tom3: 6 mono instances of Roundtone
- Panoramics: a stereo instance of Roundtone
- Parallel, hypercompressed drums parallel submix: a stereo instance of Roundtone
- Guitar (doubled?): stereo instance of Roundtone
- Voice with widening effect: stereo instance of Roundtone
- Send effects: 1 delay, two reverbs: 3 stereo instances

Sum up to 6 mono instances + 7 stereo instances.

We want to evaluate how the "tape" acts on the sound and how hard we are pushing the effect.

Define:
- bassdrum, snaredrum, hh, toms instances: Machine A (they all share the same set of parameters. Move a knob on one instance, the whole set of instances under Machine A will move)
- drums submix: Linked to A

Now we can setup the sound of the whole drukmset from any instance. Drums submix has a separate set of parameters (we want a different treatment).
Lets' pick one instance from the drumset, snare: bypass it to hear the whole drumset processed with the snare unprocessed; bypass Machine A to hear the whole drumset unprocessed.

Define:
- Guitar: Standalone
- Bass: Standalone
- Voice: Standalone

Delay: Machine B
Reverb1: Machine B
Reverb2: Machine B

All send effects are processed the same. Bypass the whole Machine B from any instance above to hear the effects dry.

Define:
- Main bus: Machine C
- Stereo headphones bus: Machine C

You can bypass monitors and mixing headphones at the same time. They share the same set of parameters.

Does it make sense?
Sounds terrific! Can't wait to try it out ! Keep up the good work.

/Jon
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

I absolutely love it.
Langston turned me on to it and I use it on most of my mixes.
Brilliant.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

The new version looks amazing, can't wait to make that upgrade. I have a suggestion. Consider
an auto-gain button. Meaning. Turned on, with the input and output level knobs set to zero...it
might give you the output at the same RMS as the original signal. Kind of like what Slate has on
FG-X for the limiter. That since many improvements a user might notice with such effects might
not always be improvements, but just a louder result. Even the most trained ears can miss that.
Old 11th January 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. View Post
The new version looks amazing, can't wait to make that upgrade. I have a suggestion. Consider
an auto-gain button. Meaning. Turned on, with the input and output level knobs set to zero...it
might give you the output at the same RMS as the original signal. Kind of like what Slate has on
FG-X for the limiter. That since many improvements a user might notice with such effects might
not always be improvements, but just a louder result. Even the most trained ears can miss that.
+1.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

This plug is soooooooooo nice.
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
On the other side i don't like anything which is doing gain automatically for me.

I see your point but to each his own(did you ever heard of Tape machine with auto gain?). I like it at the current state better(no auto gain). So don't do it or at least do it switchable...
Old 11th January 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
On the other side i don't like anything which is doing gain automatically for me.

I see your point but to each his own(did you ever heard of Tape machine with auto gain?). I like it at the current state better(no auto gain). So don't do it or at least do it switchable...
Yeah but if there was a button you could choose to use it or not, everyone's a winner!
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Exactly, that's why I said 'a button' so it's totally selectable if you want it.
Old 11th January 2011
Gear Maniac

It's amazing to see how you turn this plugin into something really outstanding thumbsup

Thanks quintosardo!
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Talking

To be perfectly honest...I think that this plugin is borderline Nirvana once these final revisions get added.

I would love a tube stage of saturation if at all possible like I mentioned before however I have some tube sat plugs that I can use if you don't add it.

Its definitely not a deal breaker for me.

The new tape algos look SWEET.

Please give a list of all the tape algos since you've updated the options.

Bar B Q Chicken Good! (TM)

Thanks

Peace
Illumination
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Head

The demo i posted was done with an earlier version of the plugin, so no oversampling, no mix knob, no "machine" feature and other stuffs added later...

It sounded really good to me, so the new version should be better

The aliasing factor is really a pain in the *ss, but i'm sure that some of the classic and most used saturator have not any oversampling function...

I don't mention any brand or model...but if you close your eyes you can see them heh

So, this is one of the very few saturator with OS

Thank you quintothumbsup
Old 12th January 2011
This looks great! Just bought it, waiting on the download link.
Old 12th January 2011
Quote:

I'm with some of the others and really not a fan of auto gain.. but if it must be and gets implemented, it should be optional via a button as others also mentioned.

Roundtone really seems to get better and better and I'm so looking forward to the update
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Addict

But we don't have to assign a single instance to a machine? Sometimes you will want to use one instance of the plugin independently of all other instances.
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop666 View Post
But we don't have to assign a single instance to a machine? Sometimes you will want to use one instance of the plugin independently of all other instances.
No, you are NOT forced to link to a machine, of course!

Three options:

- standalone instance (not related to anything else)
- part of a "Tape Machine" (the same set of parameters and a single overall bypass)
- linket to a "Tape Machine" (each instance has its own set of parameters, but is bypassed together with the "Tape Machine")

I think we cannot imagine anything more

Yes, autogain will be an option, of course.

The last image still lacks of the (very very important) overload led.
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, you are NOT forced to link to a machine, of course!

Three options:

- standalone instance (not related to anything else)
- part of a "Tape Machine" (the same set of parameters and a single overall bypass)
- linket to a "Tape Machine" (each instance has its own set of parameters, but is bypassed together with the "Tape Machine")

I think we cannot imagine anything more

Yes, autogain will be an option, of course.

The last image still lacks of the (very very important) overload led.
..another thumbsup for this development, it all sounds very promising indeed!

Mads
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
..another thumbsup for this development, it all sounds very promising indeed!
Mads
You should see the knobs moving together...
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Head

Congratulations !
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quintosardo,
thank you very much for the wet-dry control and the oversampling feature.
I just can't wait to try out the new version!
When it will available??

thanks!

grazie cumpà! heh
Old 12th January 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

I'm a sucker for tape emu's at great prices....

Got the DLL in the mail yesterday! Thanks...

Now waiting for the uprdate heh

Oh and it's more subtle than I expected... but sounds very good indeed and is more usable on single tracks and buses rather than on the master bus as other saturators out there...

Nice!
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
I'm a sucker for tape emu's at great prices....

Got the DLL in the mail yesterday! Thanks...

Now waiting for the uprdate heh

Oh and it's more subtle than I expected... but sounds very good indeed and is more usable on single tracks and buses rather than on the master bus as other saturators out there...

Nice!
Strange, I felt the complete opposite. For single tracks I prefer the ToneBoosters Ferrox plug ( also amazing ) But I absolutely loved this one on the 2bus. Just the right amount of gluey goodnessheh
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search