The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Tape Emulation - "Roundtone" Saturation Plugins
Old 7th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
No latency.
The last demo (by Giuseppe Novella) is done through FXpansion adapter, Roundtone on each track.
The new update, while in optional linear phase oversampling mode, should report 128 samples of latency. 0 latency in "normal" mode.
Should you have problems, immediate refund is the least we can do.
Thanks quintosardo!! Geat customer service! And I'm not a customer ..yet.. will order now heh
Old 7th January 2011
Bought!
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Head

Hi Folks
The last demo quintosardo posted was mixed by me
I used Roundtone i ProTools 9 via FxPansion VST Wrapper.
It works fine within PT, no issues, very small CPU footprint...run smooth on every track.

Some explanation about the demo mixed by me.
Every single track was processed with roundtone (some reverbs and delays too!).

No roundtone on masterbus.

In the "poppy" part some i used roundtone in a "subtle" way, mostly to smooth arsh transient and to add a little bit of warmth tweaking the action and emphasis knobs.
To me it sounded less "010101110"

On the "electronic" side of the demo, i used roundtone the same way, but turning the gain up a little more on every single track.
I used (and abused) it on a delay bus, with the following chain:

-Roundtone (set as aggressive as it can)
-EQ 7 for filtering purposes
-Digirack delay set to 8th triplets, feedback 0%
- Air chorus to add some modulation

The bus runs trough itself, so every repetition goes trough roundtone, EQ and modulation.

Imho it's a very interesting way to use roundtone

I think this plug is VERY useful.
I own a bunch of most famous saturation plugins, this one sound different (really different) from other.
It's already in my "hall of fame" of plugins

Sorry for my bad english...i'm not good at all
Old 7th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoe View Post
Hi Folks
The last demo quintosardo posted was mixed by me
I used Roundtone i ProTools 9 via FxPansion VST Wrapper.
It works fine within PT, no issues, very small CPU footprint...run smooth on every track.

Some explanation about the demo mixed by me.
Every single track was processed with roundtone (some reverbs and delays too!).

No roundtone on masterbus.

In the "poppy" part some i used roundtone in a "subtle" way, mostly to smooth arsh transient and to add a little bit of warmth tweaking the action and emphasis knobs.
To me it sounded less "010101110"

On the "electronic" side of the demo, i used roundtone the same way, but turning the gain up a little more on every single track.
I used (and abused) it on a delay bus, with the following chain:

-Roundtone (set as aggressive as it can)
-EQ 7 for filtering purposes
-Digirack delay set to 8th triplets, feedback 0%
- Air chorus to add some modulation

The bus runs trough itself, so every repetition goes trough roundtone, EQ and modulation.

Imho it's a very interesting way to use roundtone

I think this plug is VERY useful.
I own a bunch of most famous saturation plugins, this one sound different (really different) from other.
It's already in my "hall of fame" of plugins

Sorry for my bad english...i'm not good at all
Your English is just fine! Thanks for posting.
Old 7th January 2011
Administrator

Hey all, i've bought roundtone but i cant seem to get it working in cubase 5.5 64bit on win 7 64bit . Ive been on to Quinto and he cant seem to find a problem yet so it seems the problem may be on my end. I have rescanned and updated plugins folder but no joy. Quinto has been really helpful so far and has responded quickly, (he's providing a very good and helpful customer service if you ask me)
Maybe it is something i'm doing wrong so any help or advise would be great.
Respect
Graham
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
Hey all, i've bought roundtone but i cant seem to get it working in cubase 5.5 64bit on win 7 64bit . Ive been on to Quinto and he cant seem to find a problem yet so it seems the problem may be on my end. I have rescanned and updated plugins folder but no joy. Quinto has been really helpful so far and has responded quickly, (he's providing a very good and helpful customer service if you ask me)
Maybe it is something i'm doing wrong so any help or advise would be great.
Respect
Graham
What error/misbehavior are you seeing?
Old 7th January 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Unit View Post
What error/misbehavior are you seeing?
Hey Ruud Unit, thanks for responding,
Im getting no error message just Cubase fails to see the plugin, i rescan and update plugins but after that it still does not show up in my list of effects. I cant figure it out.
Thanks, Graham
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
Hey Ruud Unit, thanks for responding,
Im getting no error message just Cubase fails to see the plugin, i rescan and update plugins but after that it still does not show up in my list of effects. I cant figure it out.
Thanks, Graham
I had that same thing happening to me at first. Also Windows 7, but not 64 bit. I think it has something to do with certain runtime libraries, but I'm not sure... in my case I installed the visual C++ runtime libraries and then a few extra dlls and it DIDN't fix the problem, but after I did that I also received an updated version of the plug from Quinto and that ran flawlessly. So I can't tell if it was the new version itself of the new version in combination with the libraries.

This was the extra dll:
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl....shtml?msvcp71
Old 7th January 2011
Administrator

Quote:
I had that same thing happening to me at first. Also Windows 7, but not 64 bit. I think it has something to do with certain runtime libraries, but I'm not sure... in my case I installed the visual C++ runtime libraries and then a few extra dlls and it DIDN't fix the problem, but after I did that I also received an updated version of the plug from Quinto and that ran flawlessly. So I can't tell if it was the new version itself of the new version in combination with the libraries.

This was the extra dll:
msvcp71.dll free download - DLL-files.com
Hey Ruud Unit, i don't suppose you remember which visual c++ runtime libraries you installed? the 2005 one is already installed on my system (i think it installed with the e-licencer key for cubase)
Thanks, Graham
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

I installed the 2010 version, but like I said that didn't fix the problem (at least not alone). Quinto sent me a new version of the plug and that one loaded up. I would bet your issue is something specific to 64 bit Win 7.
Old 7th January 2011
Administrator

Quote:
I installed the 2010 version, but like I said that didn't fix the problem (at least not alone). Quinto sent me a new version of the plug and that one loaded up. I would bet your issue is something specific to 64 bit Win 7.
Ok thanks!
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

ya and idk what kinda file he sent you but he sent me a "dll." file. No need to install. Just copy and paste it in your vst folder for cubase. That worked for me. But if not, then its probably the operating system thats not taking it well. Ask him to send every kind of version he has and try them out. If they still dont work then get windows 7 32bit. Thats what i have and it works fine
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

@Grahamdwc: the second version you got is equivalent to the second version (working) Ruud Unit got.
They (both) avoid the plugin looking for msvcp71.dll.
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Head

Got the Roundtone vst in my inbox overnight. Can't wait to use it, the samples are sounding very pleasing to these ears heh
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

To answer to a very common question: presets will be compatible with the next version.
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
To answer to a very common question: presets will be compatible with the next version.
heh
Old 8th January 2011
Gear Addict

apart from oversampling it could be VERY useful to a dry/wet knob control.
It could help you to decide how much amount of tape effect-compression
you want to have on your master buss or on old digital recordings(just to warm up them a little)
I hope the developer will take that into account for the next releases.
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

New orders have been fulfilled up to ten minutes ago...
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fradoca View Post
apart from oversampling it could be VERY useful to a dry/wet knob control.
It could help you to decide how much amount of tape effect-compression
you want to have on your master buss or on old digital recordings(just to warm up them a little)
I hope the developer will take that into account for the next releases.
Yes, that is useful. In the meantime you can try it as a pre-fader send effect (to a group?) to see if the phase relationships are satisfying.
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

HELP!

I'm trying to order RoundTone but there doesn't seem to be a U.S. payment page ( or Puerto Rico for that matter ) WHat am I doing wrong?
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Hey quintosardo,
Is this supposed to be an emulation of a certain tape machine? Like what kind? Or is it just your good taste at what smoothness is supposed to sound like?
Dang ive been using this for the past couple of days and i love it! I feel like im actually making music now
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
I'm trying to order RoundTone but there doesn't seem to be a U.S. payment page ( or Puerto Rico for that matter ) WHat am I doing wrong?
I don't know, the button simply links to PayPal.
You can do it manually, anyway. Just access paypal and write "Roundtone" in the notes in the payment...
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg09 View Post
Hey quintosardo,
Is this supposed to be an emulation of a certain tape machine? Like what kind? Or is it just your good taste at what smoothness is supposed to sound like?
Dang ive been using this for the past couple of days and i love it! I feel like im actually making music now
It is done after very old articles and measurements from several machines. Looking at those and tuning the models to follow (in the most possible "smooth" way) the behaviour.
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know, the button simply links to PayPal.
You can do it manually, anyway. Just access paypal and write "Roundtone" in the notes in the payment...
Don't have paypal I was trying to pay with a visa card
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Mouse wheel support on the knobs would be a big benefit for my work flow.

Is it possible to implement ??

Thanks
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
Don't have paypal I was trying to pay with a visa card
Yes, paypal can be used without registering, just by means of a credit card. Not tried myself, anyway...
Old 8th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxi View Post
Mouse wheel support on the knobs would be a big benefit for my work flow.
Is it possible to implement ??
Thanks
I think it is rather simple. I use it myself very often. I'll ask for this, too.
Old 9th January 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks man!
Old 9th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Just installed and checked it out and Wow! This thing totally lives up to its name. Roundtone!!! Fantastic job Q!

Thanks!
Old 9th January 2011
Great plugin, amazing intro price! Here are my first observations after playing with it:

First I thought it sounded a bit "hard" (compared to other tape sat plugins I have) even at the 15ips soft setting and wondered how I could reduce the amount of hard saturation sound. But reducing the input gain and compensating with the output volume actually works great for a really smooth sound. See this screen shot for a setting I used in a PT project:

Something I noticed is that when I duplicate the plugin onto another duplicate track's or buss' insert and do a phase flip on that track it doesn't phase cancel. It seems as if no two Roundtone plugins sound the same at same settings..??.. Even loading the same user preset on both plugins. It's not the case that the duplicate busses wouldn't cancel out without roundtone on them.
Is it a setting that doesn't get loaded? Or is there varying / non-linear behaviour in Roundtone?

One other thing I'm scratching my head at is the Speed knob. Seems like it's effect is very subtle... actually I duplicated and phase flipped the two busses to find out how the Speed dial affects the sound.. but due to aforementioned non linear behaviour I was not able to determin that heh

Not to sound like I'm criticizing the plugin because I think it sounds and behaves really really nice and I think at that price and with such a low footprint and zero latency it's a fantastic deal.

However any clues and inside info is very appreciated thumbsup
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search